Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Anidav posted:

It works like a charm.

Noice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

Systematic posted:

You mean our sovereign land that we STOLE off the Aboriginal people?

nah m8

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

Graic Gabtar posted:

It may be just easier to accept that asylum isn't a ticket to a first world country. Just get on with it and build a better life thankful that you aren't being sent back to your country of origin where you will allegedly be tortured and/or killed.

No typos! Well done.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Graic Gabtar posted:

It may be just easier to accept that asylum isn't a ticket to a first world country. Just get on with it and build a better life thankful that you aren't being sent back to your country of origin where you will allegedly be tortured and/or killed.

You obviously have no idea what these people face and why they're desperate as gently caress in the first place. You've just bought into the whole "economic migrant" BS and don't want those dirty boat people coming here taking your slice of the pie. A great example of FYGM mentality at work.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Systematic posted:

You mean our sovereign land that we STOLE off the Aboriginal people?
They weren't using it efficiently. We needed to take over so that it could achieve its full potential.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein

Graic Gabtar posted:

eat my poo poo

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

quote:

Some state-owned assets, such as public housing stock, could be sold by the Labor Government as part of its "normal day-to-day business transactions", Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk says.

The ALP campaigned heavily against privatisation and the LNP's plans to lease $37 billion worth of port and electricity assets in the lead-up to the January state election.

Ms Palaszczuk said Labor would not sell "major" or "strategic" assets, but other assets like old public housing stock could be sold.

"We are not going to sell those government-owned corporations that bring in massive profits," she said.

"But there will be normal day-to-day business transactions that are the normal course of government.

"If there is a public benefit for Queenslanders, I am prepared to examine that.

"But what we will not do is lie to the Queensland public like the LNP did, where they sold off seven CBD buildings in Brisbane to build themselves a brand new executive building."

However, Opposition Leader Lawrence Springborg said Ms Palaszczuk and the Labor Party had gone to the last state election promising no asset sales.

"Now we've got this asset sale mumbo jumbo from this Government," he said.

Brisbane dental hospital 'not up for sale'

Meanwhile, Deputy Premier Jackie Trad said the land and buildings that house Brisbane's dental school and heritage-listed dental hospital would not be sold off.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Graic Gabtar posted:

This post is a flawless gem.

In its facets you can see twinkling echoes of how it could easily be reworded towards any other instance of Australian apathy. Towards things that could and certainly should be changed, but isn't it just easier to accept that things are perfectly fine the way they are and you've got no good reason to feel concerned in any way? (certainly never guilty, god, come off it already SJWs) It sums up the whole attitude in one simple shape of geometric perfection, all the more beautiful for its simplicity.

It belongs in a museum.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Bifauxnen posted:

It belongs in a museum.

With a big flashing sign saying "if you think like this, you are probably a piece of poo poo and you should go take a good long hard look at yourself and your value system"

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Bifauxnen posted:

This post is a flawless gem.

It belongs in a museum.

It's certainly reflective of a might makes right ideology. But museums are prisons for the past. This one's escaped. And being spouted by the hangers-on of clueless self-important 3rd-class bullies. Just remember that we know who you are, and you don't get to pretend it never happened and you never approved it. There'll be a reckoning and we've got long memories.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

"They're rounding up all the minorities and sending them off to camps? Just be glad it isn't happening to you, it's all good right?"

Gotta love how he had to shove in that it's only alleged death and torture, "Well maybe it won't happen, you know? Maybe they just...made it all up?"

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

CrazyTolradi posted:

You obviously have no idea what these people face and why they're desperate as gently caress in the first place. You've just bought into the whole "economic migrant" BS and don't want those dirty boat people coming here taking your slice of the pie. A great example of FYGM mentality at work.

I don't know about that. There not in their own alleged horrible country. They are not being tortured or killed where they are. They are making GBS threads on their host nation in the hope they will be kicked them out and forced to be taken back by Australia. Arguably their largest gripe is that Nauru is a few thousand kilometers from the nearest Centrelink and all the other good things about a first world country.

Sorry if reality is too hard for you.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Australian politics:

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lol great impression of a baked turd lying in the sun compressed into human form dude

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Graic Gabtar posted:

I don't know about that. There not in their own alleged horrible country. They are not being tortured or killed where they are. They are making GBS threads on their host nation in the hope they will be kicked them out and forced to be taken back by Australia. Arguably their largest gripe is that Nauru is a few thousand kilometers from the nearest Centrelink and all the other good things about a first world country.

Yeah man, PNG and Nauru are loving beacons of hope in the night.

Are you really this head in the loving sand? When it comes to this issue, it's like you just want to hope beyond hope that "Nah mate, they're all fine there. Never mind the guards beating them around and the sexual assaults on men, women and children, just be glad it isn't happening to you and get on with life."

I really hope when someone's beating on you, that's the attitude everyone else has about it. Not happening to me? Cool.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

Graic Gabtar posted:

You do realise that Australia is still their host nation, since they're locked in concentration camps where they're starved, beaten and raped, with the only possible solace being that they're welcome to go back and get decapitated by ISIL if the starvation, beatings and rape become a little too much?

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin
"There are refugee children drawing pictures of naked, erect Nauruan guards and breaking down into tears, but serves them right for being brown ay"

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Quantum Mechanic posted:

You do realise that Australia is still their host nation, since they're locked in concentration camps where they're starved, beaten and raped, with the only possible solace being that they're welcome to go back and get decapitated by ISIL if the starvation, beatings and rape become a little too much?

"Just be glad it isn't happening to you, mate. Why do you care so much? What the hell is this compassion and concern for others stuff you talk about?"

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

Graic Gabtar posted:

They are not being tortured

Oh, wow, I just re-read this. Yes, they are, and we're responsible for it.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Can we just rate the obvious trolls out of ten or even give them :d: and move the gently caress on. Ratbag has demonstrated that he can't be taken seriously so why bother?

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
So Joe Hockey farted from his mouth the idea of allowing people to draw from their superannuation to use as a deposit on a first home.

Much like the treasurer of australia, my only economics qualifications come through relation, but off the top of my head I can think of a number of problems with this.

- Like the first home owners grant it serves mainly to continue inflating the price of houses thus not making anything more affordable.
- People are at the best of times really bad at assessing future benefit vs immediate benefit, and will value a $50k deposit now far more highly than $50k when they retire
- People will think of a $50k deposit now as actually only being worth $50k, rather than $50k + 40 years of compounding interest.
- It decreases the value of your super, your second most valuable asset, to put into your house, your most valuable asset, leaving your total wealth less diversified and more at risk to market failure
- It encourages people to take out more ambitious mortgages to take advantage of "FREE MONEYS", with less consideration to whether the loan is appropriate to them in terms of income, job security etc
- You wind up with people retiring at 65 70 75 120 with less money to fund their own retirement and thus having to go on the pension starve in the streets

Like jesus gently caress, this is probably the dumbest policy Joe Hockey has ever thought of and it is sure not for lack of competition.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Quantum Mechanic posted:

Oh, wow, I just re-read this. Yes, they are, and we're responsible for it.

And at LEAST one of them has been killed while under our "care".

Ratbag walking turd will now throw a huff about how we weren't ever going to consider his lovely viewpoint, disappear a month or two and pop up again like nothing happened.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
Nauru is a country that would not function were it not for Australia's aid. In return for the aid, they operate concentration camps, which provide most of the jobs on the island. Many Nauruans are afraid that the refugees that have been resettled there will take the few available jobs. The locals do not want the refugees there, and make that point often, and violently.

If you think that their biggest gripe is being far away from centrelink, you are fortunate enough that that is the biggest gripe you can imagine someone having.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

Graic Gabtar posted:

There not in their own alleged horrible country.

Oops try again

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

CrazyTolradi posted:

Yeah man, PNG and Nauru are loving beacons of hope in the night.

Are you really this head in the loving sand? When it comes to this issue, it's like you just want to hope beyond hope that "Nah mate, they're all fine there. Never mind the guards beating them around and the sexual assaults on men, women and children, just be glad it isn't happening to you and get on with life."

I really hope when someone's beating on you, that's the attitude everyone else has about it. Not happening to me? Cool.

Allegedly in mortal fear of being murdered, tortured, raped, beaten. gently caress this crap never ends. Based on what you are saying people are likely very happy that we are keeping an alleged large number of sexual predators out of our society.

Asylum seeker advocates are very good at portraying every other place besides Australia as some kind of dystopian nightmare that makes The Road seem like an episode of The Wiggles.

Who's been fed a few too many lines here and has their head in the sand I wonder?

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
GAR-
BAGE
DICK

asio
Nov 29, 2008

Graic Gabtar posted:

Allegedly in mortal fear of being murdered, tortured, raped, beaten. gently caress this crap never ends. Based on what you are saying people are likely very happy that we are keeping an alleged large number of sexual predators out of our society.

Asylum seeker advocates are very good at portraying every other place besides Australia as some kind of dystopian nightmare that makes The Road seem like an episode of The Wiggles.

Who's been fed a few too many lines here and has their head in the sand I wonder?

Your children are teased at school because you have a poo poo job and can't hold your grog

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Graic Gabtar posted:

Yeah, all this "crap" never ends. Better to just ignore those things (as well as the overwhelming evidence that supports their case) so you can smugly sleep at night with those opinions. Otherwise you might possibly feel guilty. Maybe.

What are you going to say next? The Human Rights Commission is clearly "partisan" and biased way too much in the direction of human rights? And where the gently caress do you pull sexual predators from? I'm sure no older white men are sexual predators at all. Nor would any defend them, not in this country. No sir.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Graic Gabtar posted:

It's you, mate.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Gough Suppressant posted:

Like jesus gently caress, this is probably the dumbest policy Joe Hockey has ever thought of and it is sure not for lack of competition.

Let's help out first home buyers by propping up the bubble even longer, and gutting their super for the privilege of getting to enter the market at these still record-breaking high prices! Right before we finally run out of ways to keep this circus going and it finally crashes, probably!

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

You really have to love how this turd that has evolved legs and jumped out of the toilet before someone flushed manages to shove "alleged" in whenever he can, because if it's only "alleged" it isn't real and therefore never really happened and it's then ok to have shithead opinions on it then.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

CrazyTolradi posted:

You really have to love how this turd that has evolved legs and jumped out of the toilet before someone flushed manages to shove "alleged" in whenever he can, because if it's only "alleged" it isn't real and therefore never really happened and it's then ok to have shithead opinions on it then.

Maybe.... maybe the asylum seeker's home countries are the real first world paradise, and they just don't want us to catch on!! :tinfoil:

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
fluffy bunnies are cute

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I remember a QLD ALP meeting with Wayne Swan. Being the goon that I am, I asked him as treasurer at the time if he would reform or abolish negative gearing and his reply was

"There's nothing wrong with it".

asio
Nov 29, 2008

CrazyTolradi posted:

His boss works harder than him and that's why he gets paid less. But if he works hard enough one day he will be allowed to wear pants and purchase nice consumer items.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Graic Gabtar posted:

Hi, I'm not going to call you a waste of human flesh (unlike the rest of the thread) because I don't see what good that would do.

There's multiple independent sources that confirm that the atrocities these refugees are running from are real - many of these atrocities set into motion by the wests invasion of the middle east setting into motion a chain of events that lead to ISIL etc.

There's multiple independent sources that confirm (anonymously due to the extremely litigation happy Australian government, attempting to lock down any information coming out of these islands) that the refugees being held in PNG etc are being mentally and physically tortured, with some women raped - causing them to become pregnant and having to get abortions as a result. People have literally been murdered by Australian employed guards.

In the meantime, there's extremely compassionate people (such as yourself) saying stuff like "oh well, I guess they could just be making it all up?"

I might not want to call you a waste of human flesh, but I can certainly believe that you lack any sort of compassion or ethics.

That you would feel comfortable with such torture and abuse being done in your name for the sake of appealing to xenophobic fuckwits who've never known a day of need in their life is extremely telling.

That being said, I fully expect you to ignore this post, or at the very least dissemble or take umbrage at a minor point in the post somewhere so that you either a) avoid having to take in the full message (if you're not a gimmick poster), or, more likely, b) continue playing to your gimmick.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
poo poo, if only there was some sort of largely independent body that could look in to these alleged claims?

Some sort of human rights watchdog?

Maybe they'd look, wonder what they'd find?

I'm sure the government of the day will take their findings on board though, as we're not some distopian hellhole where ad hominem attacks would be used to wash over proven issues.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Hmm, maybe this is more like Australian politics:

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

tithin posted:

Hi, I'm not going to call you a waste of human flesh (unlike the rest of the thread) because I don't see what good that would do.

There's multiple independent sources that confirm that the atrocities these refugees are running from are real - many of these atrocities set into motion by the wests invasion of the middle east setting into motion a chain of events that lead to ISIL etc.

There's multiple independent sources that confirm (anonymously due to the extremely litigation happy Australian government, attempting to lock down any information coming out of these islands) that the refugees being held in PNG etc are being mentally and physically tortured, with some women raped - causing them to become pregnant and having to get abortions as a result. People have literally been murdered by Australian employed guards.

In the meantime, there's extremely compassionate people (such as yourself) saying stuff like "oh well, I guess they could just be making it all up?"

I might not want to call you a waste of human flesh, but I can certainly believe that you lack any sort of compassion or ethics.

That you would feel comfortable with such torture and abuse being done in your name for the sake of appealing to xenophobic fuckwits who've never known a day of need in their life is extremely telling.

That being said, I fully expect you to ignore this post, or at the very least dissemble or take umbrage at a minor point in the post somewhere so that you either a) avoid having to take in the full message (if you're not a gimmick poster), or, more likely, b) continue playing to your gimmick.

The worst part about this whole thing is that the people in this thread and Australia on the asylum seeker advocacy band wagon are the ones doing the least and/or giving the least fucks about the tens of millions of displaced persons not able to buy their way out of alleged trouble.

They fight tooth and nail to defend a group who given the dangers they say they were facing continue to riot, act generally like ungrateful fucks and any person would have to wonder what's making them do like this. Many would conclude encouragement by a nice industry built up in Australia fueled by the trade in asylum seekers desperate to keep the flow going.

Even if PNG and Nauru conclude that the money is not worth it and send a few thousand people back to Australia then Yay! Circle jerks all around for The Greens, askylum seeker advocates and most of you here.

Shame about some poor oval office hanging by his thumbs in Tehran.

A problem to hard for most of you to consider obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
But they come from somewhere else right? gently caress 'em.

• Locked thread