Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I love Alex Ross so much. His characters look real, but super at the same time, and it's very apparent how much love and attention he puts into every bit of his work. Kingdom Come in particular is a masterpiece and you should read it, if you haven't already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.

Android Blues posted:

In fairness, while this holds true for the men on that page (roughly), the women depicted by and large originally didn't look fit, they looked like Barbies.

Also: a lot of really strong people "look" fat, if you check out some pro weightlifters their physique is often closer to the afters on those images than the befores. You need a lot of calories to feed all that muscle.

Check out Darwin Cooke's Wonder Woman, she makes Superman look like a twelve year old when they're next to each other.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
I'm a huge fan of Ross as well and for me it's because his style is very much iconic. It's been said before but his main inspiration is Norman Rockwell:

See the use of lighting? The photorealistic anatomy and physical atributes? The tableau and use of framing? It's all done to evoke this sense of iconography. I have a book of Rockwell artwork and his strength is in his photo-realism. But it's not realism for realism's sake, the realism is to humanize his subjects. And in that humanization, it helps us, the audience, to project and relate better to the persons in his illustrations. Moncoromatic skintones notwithstanding, of course. Ross' art style is the closest thing to Rockwell's aesthetics that I have seen yet.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Mar 7, 2015

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Ross is very good at what he does, and that sense of iconography is it, which means there's a narrow range of narrative that his art can support. I still think Marvels is his crowning glory. There's a smallish panel in issue... 3? I think, of Gwen Stacy in the rain after an attack by Namor, which is just breathtaking.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I really liked how Pat Gleason drew WW in Batman and Robin.

poorlifedecision
Feb 13, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Teenage Fansub posted:

Finally looks like she has some muscle.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I like Ross for covers and posters and such, but as an interior artist, I find his work way too static and posed.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Only time I didn't like Ross was his Galactus in Marvels. The scale with him obviously being a guy in a suit was a real downer when compared to his gorgeous rendition of the FF.

EDIT: Can we talk about how great his Fantastic Four looks?

Open Marriage Night fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Mar 7, 2015

Fuckstick Electric
Nov 25, 2012

poorlifedecision posted:

Finally looks like she has some muscle.

Her nose seems the best change.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Teenage Fansub posted:

I realise Batman and Judge Dredd have had adventures, and people can compare the two and so on and so forth...

But Bats is looking a lot more Dredd-ish than usual.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
Those redesigns seem to assume that superheroes ought to be physically realistic, which frankly has some disturbing political implications. It also sidesteps one of the most important feminist critiques of the superheroine. Of course, in the context of contrast this isn't really an issue, since the point is to highlight obesity as a public health issue, but I don't really think that they'd be a good basis for altering current characters.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Die Laughing posted:

Only time I didn't like Ross was his Galactus in Marvels. The scale with him obviously being a guy in a suit was a real downer when compared to his gorgeous rendition of the FF.

EDIT: Can we talk about how great his Fantastic Four looks?

His FF are actually what I envision when I dream of my period piece Fantastic Four movie trilogy that will never ever happen.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Effectronica posted:

Those redesigns seem to assume that superheroes ought to be physically realistic, which frankly has some disturbing political implications.

Could you elaborate a bit?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

zoux posted:

But he does use realistic body images and types and to me it can look like cosplayers. I like a little stylization in my comic book art. There's a reason that costumes that look amazing on the pages don't look great when they try to adapt them to live action, and that's because comic book characters are built differently than irl people are.

That can be explained pretty easily. Gold and Silver Age characters wear what are essentially circus leotards. Like, I think the thickest piece of Batman's costume is the soles of his boots.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Superstring posted:

Nazi propaganda posters.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
To me the neatest and most distinctive thing about Ross's work, aside from the raw craftsmanship he piles onto his covers, is the way he draws and paints texture onto the costumes and materials. Almost nobody actually makes a character's outfit look like something a person could actually put on and wear, because it's way too much work outside of a cover. Even then you rarely get that kind of craftsmanship.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Flesh Forge posted:

PS he is DEAD, important tidbit.

Michael Turner isn't dead, he's smoking a fat rear end kush joint right now.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Superstring posted:

Superheroes aren't real. They exist in a much more clear-cut moral universe, where physical and mental and moral intersect, etc. and their stylized forms represent that. Superheroes being made real is dangerous because the superhero universe is incompatible with real life. Punching rarely resolves things, you can't tell the bad guys at a glance, not everyone can be easily divided into black, white, and grey hats, etc.

Blurring these lines is politically dangerous because it suggests that superheroes should act as an inspiration rather than as a fantasy, which is, in fact, harmful. Thinking of Superman before taking a test worsens your performance most of the time. However, priming people to think of themselves as "Superman" (as smarter, more moral people than they may actually be) does improve performance on tests.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I get your meaning and you have a point but that argument sounds an awful lot like people who are afraid that Mortal Kombat, Call of Duty, and Grant Theft Auto are going to make kids more violent. On the broadest possible level the only kids who actually do that are the ones who had a hard time telling reality from fantasy in the first place and the media is just a catalyst for their own mental/emotional shortcomings to manifest in an unhealthy way.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

mind the walrus posted:

I get your meaning and you have a point but that argument sounds an awful lot like people who are afraid that Mortal Kombat, Call of Duty, and Grant Theft Auto are going to make kids more violent. On the broadest possible level the only kids who actually do that are the ones who had a hard time telling reality from fantasy in the first place and the media is just a catalyst for their own mental/emotional shortcomings to manifest in an unhealthy way.

First of all, experiencing violent media makes people more aggressive. This is something that has been shown over and over.

Second of all, this isn't about a permanent warping of people's brains, this is about developing a fundamentally unhealthy relationship with the superhero, where we see them as above us rather than as a reflection or potentiality of us.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Effectronica posted:

First of all, experiencing violent media makes people more aggressive. This is something that has been shown over and over.

(sources needed)

IIRC isn't the only conclusive proof that competitive media makes people more aggressive outside of the extreme mentally ill minority? Look at how aggressive your average LoL player gets vs your average GTA/CoD player, or your average sports parent vs your average, say, cinephile or bibliophile parent. Not that correlation equals causation but violent crime has actually gone down significantly since the rise of both video games and internet, both of which have made violent content extremely accessible to the average person, which while not conclusive does strongly indicate that if violent media was in-fact making people on the whole more aggressive there would be more solid macro statistics to back such a claim up.

Sources:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/05/07/gun-crime-drops-but-americans-think-its-worse/2139421/
http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Justice/2012/0109/US-crime-rate-at-lowest-point-in-decades.-Why-America-is-safer-now
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-violent-crime-1970s-level-20141110-story.html

quote:

Second of all, this isn't about a permanent warping of people's brains, this is about developing a fundamentally unhealthy relationship with the superhero, where we see them as above us rather than as a reflection or potentiality of us.

To be blunt I've never met someone who saw superheroes as actual god figures and not archetypes along the line of Zeus who wasn't a few cards short of a full deck to begin with. After a point you really can't pin the problems on media and are just bemoaning the inherent limitations of the human animal. I might find American Sniper problematic, but that's far more about how audiences are interpreting it rather than thinking its style or presentation is inherently problematic or not worth putting out there.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Mar 7, 2015

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

mind the walrus posted:

(sources needed)

IIRC isn't the only conclusive proof that competitive media makes people more aggressive outside of the extreme mentally ill minority? Look at how aggressive your average LoL player gets vs your average GTA/CoD player, or your average sports parent vs your average, say, cinephile or bibliophile parent. Not that correlation equals causation but violent crime has actually gone down significantly since the rise of both video games and internet, both of which have made violent content extremely accessible to the average person, which while not conclusive does strongly indicate that if violent media was in-fact making people on the whole more aggressive there would be more solid macro statistics to back such a claim up.

Sources:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/05/07/gun-crime-drops-but-americans-think-its-worse/2139421/
http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Justice/2012/0109/US-crime-rate-at-lowest-point-in-decades.-Why-America-is-safer-now
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-violent-crime-1970s-level-20141110-story.html

Who says aggression equals violence? But there are a number of studies (here's one) that examine other violent media where the interaction aspect of video games isn't presence, and they still find that violence in media predicts aggression in the experiencing person, particularly when they identify with the violent characters. In children, there's some debate over whether this is a long-term phenomenon, but in adults, it's definitely short-term. It doesn't actually predict violence, but nobody without an agenda of some kind would believe that aggressive behavior only manifests as violence.

quote:

To be blunt I've never met someone who saw superheroes as actual god figures and not archetypes along the line of Zeus who wasn't a few cards short of a full deck to begin with. After a point you really can't pin the problems on media and are just bemoaning the inherent limitations of the human animal. I might find American Sniper problematic, but that's far more about how audiences are interpreting it rather than thinking its style or presentation is inherently problematic or not worth putting out there.

Interestingly, I am not arguing that this is the current state of affairs. I am saying that this is a risk by removing the stylized nature of superhero visual design and blurring their status as definitely unreal characters.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

And early exposure to art and music might make your kid a musician or artist.

I have my degree in Psychology largely in part because I picked apart those studies, specifically video game violence. (It was my final research project, and I won an award for my presentation on the subject at a fair, and I wasn't even a presenter.)

But this really, really, really isn't a subject for the Comic Book Art thread.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

IUG posted:

But this really, really, really isn't a subject for the Comic Book Art thread.
You're absolutely right. Why did we have to open this can of worms again?

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Mar 7, 2015

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Because someone said realism in comic bodies had political implications. (????)

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

This is the perfect time to post my 10,000 page thesis: How Superman's Chubby Cheeks Doomed Western Civilization.

In other news, I recently read Planetary. While the interior art wasn't much to talk about, and I didn't really enjoy the story, the covers were goddamn amazing.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I don't think I've ever heard someone say Cassaday's art isn't much to talk about, but eh. Planetary I think resonates more if you know the history of the medium. Classic comic strips, newspaper serials, old timey heroes to modern interpretations, etc. There's a throughline for the story but it doesn't go quite straight through it and instead explores a lot more.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Gatts posted:

I don't think I've ever heard someone say Cassaday's art isn't much to talk about, but eh. Planetary I think resonates more if you know the history of the medium. Classic comic strips, newspaper serials, old timey heroes to modern interpretations, etc. There's a throughline for the story but it doesn't go quite straight through it and instead explores a lot more.

Yeah, Planetary's overarching story really isn't anything to write home about, it's all about the exploration and interpretation of comics history via the other media that inspired it. The end moral is "we should explore and preserve past stories because they inform and enrich future ones".

Compare this to The Four who literally sold the planet, and by extension all its weird and beautiful history, just for personal gain.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Gatts posted:

I don't think I've ever heard someone say Cassaday's art isn't much to talk about

Unless we're just talking about Planetary, Uncanny Avengers.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Mar 9, 2015

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What are his other big runs besides AXM, Planetary and Uncanny Avengers?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

What are his other big runs besides AXM, Planetary and Uncanny Avengers?
AXM and Planetary are far and away his largest. Other full but smaller runs include I Am Legion (6 issues) and Desperadoes (5 issues).

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
This weekend was my city's con, and aside of having the pleasure to met Brian Azzarello, Clayton Crain, Chad Hardin among others. I got this great sketch from Legendary Starlord's artist, Paco Medina

:allears:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Never loving change, you crazy diamond.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I thought you got banned from ever posting in BSS again.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

SynthOrange posted:

I thought you got banned from ever posting in BSS again.

It was only a probation

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Boobs aren't comically oversized. Put it in the bin.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

This weekend was my city's con, and aside of having the pleasure to met Brian Azzarello, Clayton Crain, Chad Hardin among others. I got this great sketch from Legendary Starlord's artist, Paco Medina

oh god drat it

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The world is a wonderful, magic place isn't it?

e: Since I got a post in the Good Art thread, I'mma put up some Aaron Kuder from Action Comics #40.
I'd tried posting the part where Doomsday-Bizarro polluted Bizarro World with cuteness and a gnome yanked off Superman's beard in the Funny Panels thread but it got no love :/

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Mar 16, 2015

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Never loving change, you crazy diamond.

Seriously, nice of him to do that sketch. That common at cons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Nyeehg posted:

Seriously, nice of him to do that sketch. That common at cons?

Very common, although it costs. Some artists charge astronomical amounts (over $1k for even the simplest of sketches) while others charge very reasonably (head or bust sketch for $50-$75) and some will do decent quick sketches for free. It really all depends on the artist and their popularity. We have an entire thread devoted to commissions http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3512726.