Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

forbidden lesbian posted:

oh let me amend my previous statement; we really did not need a 6 mana worse gravepact

Fortunately you get a worse gravepact attached to a 4/4 flier, so it's not that terrible for an uncommon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

Angry Grimace posted:

"Dragons dragons dragons nobody has more dragons than me!!" -Tarkir
"Quality over quantity." -Theros

Is this really going to be a cycle? How silly.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Swift Warkite seems alright. Would be a lot better if it had haste.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

oh let me amend my previous statement; we really did not need a 6 mana worse gravepact
I imagine it's meant to be a way to help support Exploit in limited.

I guess that's the idea of this cycle in general, although granting Dash to a creature that already has Dash isn't too amazing.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Mar 7, 2015

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

it's a limited card, probably not even the best in the cycle

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Starving Autist posted:

Fortunately you get a worse gravepact attached to a 4/4 flier, so it's not that terrible for an uncommon?

oh look at me, i uh

thought it was rare for some reason :downs:

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I imagine it's meant to be a way to help support Exploit in limited.

I guess that's the idea of this cycle in general, although granting Dash to a creature that already has Dash isn't too amazing.

it reanimates a creature tho!

warkite can reanimate alesha even!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
These will go great in my Peasant Multicolor Cube.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Oh I didn't notice it said graveyard, that is actually pretty cool for limited then.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Flashy cards are nice and all wotc, but let's see the meat and potato commons of draft plz

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

this will go great in my "anything with imperial recruiter" edh deck

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Is this the first time they've implied that MTG dragons that can talk don't just speak whatever the common language is? I mean, there's no reason why there wouldn't be a draconic language, I suppose, but something about this is registering pretty high on my Elvish Expression Meaning "Awkward Flavor Text" meter.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Rinkles posted:

Flashy cards are nice and all wotc, but let's see the meat and potato commons of draft plz

Commons are basically never spoiled, you get to wait for the full set spoiler on those.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
They've used draconic tongue in UR stories for the past couple of weeks

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
I should have known you'd be the one to go to for Dragon Facts

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Hopping Ghost posted:

Is this the first time they've implied that MTG dragons that can talk don't just speak whatever the common language is? I mean, there's no reason why there wouldn't be a draconic language, I suppose, but something about this is registering pretty high on my Elvish Expression Meaning "Awkward Flavor Text" meter.

Maybe it's because he talks to other dragons in draconic and he's giving orders to that guy

Or it's a reference to how bad the flavor text / flavor of Dead Drop was in KTK

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

"Dragons dragons dragons nobody has more dragons than me!!" -Tarkir
"Quality over quantity." -Theros
I like that new Ojutai is good but still probably won't see play for a while because of how terrible it is against Stormbreath

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Hopping Ghost posted:

No, they've indicated they have "translators" for a while now. Dagathar talked to Dromoka through a human translator, Narset talks to Ojutai through a Aven translator and Silumgar talks to them through Naga and Rakshasa. It doesn't seem like Kolaghan and Atarka are particularly intelligent so they might not be able to.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Zoness posted:

Maybe it's because he talks to other dragons in draconic and he's giving orders to that guy

I'm also imagining there are a bunch of dead people around him and they're just standing there smiling awkwardly because they have a feeling that Silumgar didn't just tell his dragon friends to go get them all some sodas but they can't be sure.

EDIT:

Angry Grimace posted:

No, they've indicated they have "translators" for a while now. Dagathar talked to Dromoka through a human translator, Narset talks to Ojutai through a Aven translator and Silumgar talks to them through Naga and Rakshasa. It doesn't seem like Kolaghan and Atarka are particularly intelligent so they might not be able to.

Fair enough! It still seems kinda weird to have it just tacked on the end of the flavor text like that, though.

Johnny Landmine fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Mar 7, 2015

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

rabidsquid posted:

Commons are basically never spoiled, you get to wait for the full set spoiler on those.

A few more examples of the keywords and the enablers/synergy cards would be nice, is all

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
kolaghan doesn't have time to talk she's to busy going fast

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Hopping Ghost posted:

Fair enough! It still seems kinda weird to have it just tacked on the end of the flavor text like that, though.

Yeah, it seems super awkward and unnecessary. Like, are we really supposed to assume that everyone's speaking English and not some fantasy language?

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
It's the classic clash between 'the audience needs to understand what's going on' and 'the characters need to have a language barrier for some reason / shouldn't speak English'. It's better to present everything in English because of the former, even if it makes the latter seem strange.

MST3K mantra, everyone.

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

Starving Autist posted:

Yeah, it seems super awkward and unnecessary. Like, are we really supposed to assume that everyone's speaking English and not some fantasy language?

So, draconic is a common fantasy language that dragons speak and/or is used for magical texts. From someone who has played Dungeons and Dragons it doesn't sound weird. Also fantasy English is usually called "Common".

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
I'm not super excited for limited with these spoilers. Khans was fun at first but most of the time it devolves into a mexican standoff, and fate just added a bunch of giant bombs that are pretty boring. This set seems to be adding more of the same, except now there's enough flying bombs for everyone so it's back to players staring at each other and no one swinging.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
i think the official line is to assume everything has been translated into English for our convenience and that the planewsalkers just all know how to cast Rosetta Stone LV5

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Ruthless Deathfang could be interesting but I think Swift Warkite won for most interesting use of clan bullshit today.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master
I kinda like Savage Ventmaw with Temur Ascendancy out; free dragon and a cantrip? It's puuuuuure value! :smaug:

elcapitanqwerty
Apr 22, 2005

Some do. Most don't. I do.

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

lol the "insert card is going in my edh deck" is the best thing about this thread

Also Swift Warkite looks like a fun whip target in Jund reanimator

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
From what we know, will there be another set of lands printed in Dragons?

If so, is there any chance it could be the shardlands?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Do you mean the shard trilands?

There's no reason for them to be in there. It would be much less sensical than enemy fetches, even.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

JerryLee posted:

There's no reason for them to be in there. It would be much less sensical than enemy fetches, even.

I just want to try building 3 color decks that aren't wedges without dealing with terrible mana.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

JerryLee posted:

Yeah, those land names are a bit too tied to the Alara shards, I think. It would make too little flavor sense.

As for the uncommon Kolaghan dragon, I'm going to look forward to reanimating Alesha with it, then using Alesha's ability to reanimate something else :getin:

(in magical Christmas land)

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Starving Autist posted:

Yeah, those land names are a bit too tied to the Alara shards, I think. It would make too little flavor sense.

How are Arcane Sanctum and Crumbling Necropolis tied to Alara shards?

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Some Numbers posted:

How are Arcane Sanctum and Crumbling Necropolis tied to Alara shards?

Well, where the hell is there a sanctum on Tarkir, let alone an arcane one? Does Tarkir even have any seas to put a citadel next to? What I meant is that they don't really make sense on Tarkir.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
They only include fixing cycles below rare if it's needed for limited. For DTK, we're getting mana rocks that turn into dragons, I assume Keyrune style.

There's no reason they'd have shard-based fixing in this set when there's nothing driving it flavor or mechanics wise.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Starving Autist posted:

I meant more that there's zero reason for shard-colored lands to be in there in general, even with generic or Tarkir-specific names. If it were just a matter of fitting the names somewhere into Tarkir, that'd be less of an issue, but the lands would still make no sense. Arcane Sanctum would probably be an Ojutai monastery and why is it making black mana? I'm sure you can find both jungle shrines and crumbling necropoli in Silumgar territory but where is this red, white, and/or green mana coming from?

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

JerryLee posted:

I meant more that there's zero reason for shard-colored lands to be in there in general, even with generic or Tarkir-specific names. If it were just a matter of fitting the names somewhere into Tarkir, that'd be less of an issue, but the lands would still make no sense. Arcane Sanctum would probably be an Ojutai monastery and why is it making black mana? I'm sure you can find both jungle shrines and crumbling necropoli in Silumgar territory but where is this red, white, and/or green mana coming from?

I agree, there are several reasons why it wouldn't make sense, I was just focusing on the names because I know WotC is very sensitive about that.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Starving Autist posted:

I agree, there are several reasons why it wouldn't make sense, I was just focusing on the names because I know WotC is very sensitive about that.

Yeah, they are, but they're also quite down with reusing the names when it does make sense. Like with the allied fetches, actually. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they named the Alara trilands generically (rather than "Esper Sanctum" or whatever) so that they can potentially reuse them in a different setting someday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragonslayer?

• Locked thread