Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Boywunda posted:

I remember trying this in the past and it didn't work. I't would be nice to see proof that it will work before rolling back. I feel the exact same way as Maker Of Shoes does. Same memory leaks and app crashing, etc.. I'm about to flash a Custom ROM to avoid this all. But I really enjoy the stock experience...if it was working as I expected it to.

I am also off contract, so I could technically go back on contract and get a shiny new phone....But I love my N5 still, if it wasn't for these current issues.
Now you're making me doubt myself. I know GravityBox has a block notification feature if you're willing to go that route.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I'd like to thank everyone who suggested a 2013 Moto X and Cricket. God drat it feels great to have legit fast cell service again and the phone is fantastic. I really love the active display as well, didn't think I'd get much use out of it, but its very handy.

If I want to upgrade in the future, what's a step up, but also keeps the smaller size? Z3 compact?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Captain Yossarian posted:

I'd like to thank everyone who suggested a 2013 Moto X and Cricket. God drat it feels great to have legit fast cell service again and the phone is fantastic. I really love the active display as well, didn't think I'd get much use out of it, but its very handy.

If I want to upgrade in the future, what's a step up, but also keeps the smaller size? Z3 compact?

Yep, the Z3 is a really nice phone. Much more expensive if you're buying off-contact but still more affordable than the likes of Samsung, LG, HTC.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
How easy would it be to import a Moto Maxx to the US? If it's reasonably easy, how much cost is that likely to add?

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
I don't think I saw anyone post this: Google wants to start an MVNO, which reportedly will be a Republic Wireless-like WiFi/cell combo...only for the N6. I was wondering when they'd go this direction, given that they had gvoice, then Hangouts calling.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

hooah posted:

How easy would it be to import a Moto Maxx to the US? If it's reasonably easy, how much cost is that likely to add?

Harder now, Mexico carriers closed some loopholes in the online ordering system. Though I imagine it can still be done, and you can source a XT1225 from Puerto Rico or Brazil or whatever too. Typically add about $40 for somebody to ship it to you. Keep in mind that XT1225 is the same regardless of origin country, and you can flash whatever original factory image to change it to any other 'country edition' without unlocking the bootloader because it's all signed by Motorola.

nocal posted:

I don't think I saw anyone post this: Google wants to start an MVNO, which reportedly will be a Republic Wireless-like WiFi/cell combo...only for the N6. I was wondering when they'd go this direction, given that they had gvoice, then Hangouts calling.

I'm not absolutely convinced of the Nexus 6 thing, but it would make sense if the N6 is going to debut with generic VoLTE/Wifi-Calling with 5.1.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Did you Nexus 6 owners know you can enable "OK Google" from any screen & screen off? I just saw this in the settings and it's life changing for driving.

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

LastInLine posted:

Now you're making me doubt myself. I know GravityBox has a block notification feature if you're willing to go that route.

That's how I blocked System Notifications on Kit Kat, was with Xposed and GravityBox or a custom ROM.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

nerve posted:

Did you Nexus 6 owners know you can enable "OK Google" from any screen & screen off? I just saw this in the settings and it's life changing for driving.

Thats been a thing for a while, and not even a Lollipop thing I don't think, but for some reason its a regional/language or who the gently caress knows who Google will let have it thing.

Some people have the option, some dont

e: maybe not screen off, but definitely from any screen

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I think it's an option for most, if not all of the main flagship phones at the moment. Whether it works or not is totally up in the air though. I enabled it on my Note 4 and it works for the first two days. After that, it works literally 0% of the time.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
On the N5 you can do OK Google on any screen, but only if the screen is on (or plugged in).

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Google has modified the favicon for their web calendar to show the actual date of the month. Still no official widget to do the same on Android, though. :v:

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

nerve posted:

I don't think I could deal with having a phone I couldn't operate by yelling at it while driving

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

ruby idiot railed posted:

Harder now, Mexico carriers closed some loopholes in the online ordering system. Though I imagine it can still be done, and you can source a XT1225 from Puerto Rico or Brazil or whatever too. Typically add about $40 for somebody to ship it to you. Keep in mind that XT1225 is the same regardless of origin country, and you can flash whatever original factory image to change it to any other 'country edition' without unlocking the bootloader because it's all signed by Motorola.

Ok. If I don't want to faff around with either having my phone in Spanish or finding an English image, does the Turbo have enough band overlap to be used on T-Mobile? I don't really understand how the bands work.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Boywunda posted:

I remember trying this in the past and it didn't work. I't would be nice to see proof that it will work before rolling back. I feel the exact same way as Maker Of Shoes does. Same memory leaks and app crashing, etc.. I'm about to flash a Custom ROM to avoid this all. But I really enjoy the stock experience...if it was working as I expected it to.

I am also off contract, so I could technically go back on contract and get a shiny new phone....But I love my N5 still, if it wasn't for these current issues.

I just tested for you, my N5 is still on Kitkat and I blocked the update notification. It's gone now.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

hooah posted:

Ok. If I don't want to faff around with either having my phone in Spanish or finding an English image, does the Turbo have enough band overlap to be used on T-Mobile? I don't really understand how the bands work.

Eh, all factory images of Moto Maxx are default English as far as I can tell, except for the recovery partition, which you should be able to fumble through in a worst case scenario.

Note that Moto Maxx does not have Band 12 (neither does Turbo) though the hardware should be capable of it if Moto decides to turn it on at some point in the future. (Unlikely unless they need it for some international carrier, and I don't think anybody uses it in the regions Maxx is launched in) You apparently CAN enable Band 12 by fiddling with the radio and system files. This is pretty much experimental and I'm not risking anything on it. Both other LTE bands are supported (Turbo as well).

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Mar 7, 2015

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

nerve posted:

I just sent a customer service e-mail as well. Hopefully I'm not ignored!

They responded the next day and are shipping me a new one with prepaid postage to send mine back. I'm okay with this.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Lollipop finally showed up on my One M8. Pretty ambivalent on some of the changes. I am upset that AC Display stopped showing audio play controls on the lockscreen and I don't know what's causing it or if I just need to wait on an update to AC DIsplay to fix it.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

hooah posted:

On my Moto Maxx it prompted me to select my system language during the initial setup, after which the entire process was in English (which was my selection). Didn't have to download an update or anything. I'm using it right now just fine on T-Mobile, from my research it supports everything T-Mobile uses aside from Band 12 which only started rolling out a week or so ago anyways.

Spy_Guy
Feb 19, 2013

I also have an HTC One M8. Ended up getting Lollipop for it and so far it's been okay.
I like the double-swipe from the top to get at the settings (two-finger swipe ruined the one-handedness). What I don't like is the changes to the application list: instead of tiles we now get some kinda terrible multi-page kinda poo poo. Terribly inefficient and a waste of screen space. :argh:

That said, it fixed a really annoying keyboard issue I was having and my gut feeling says battery life has improved drastically.

The phone itself is awesome, though. Good screen and the camera is really fast. Images are not the best, but at least you can take them quickly. As opposed to my previous phone where the camera app took 30 seconds to start and autofocus was like 5 seconds.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Spy_Guy posted:

What I don't like is the changes to the application list: instead of tiles we now get some kinda terrible multi-page kinda poo poo. Terribly inefficient and a waste of screen space. :argh:

I think I saw somewhere in a YouTube video about the M9 that you can change this back to the old layout. Don't ask how or what video I saw because I can't remember.
Try searching in the settings somewhere.

Edit: HTC One M9: In-Depth Hands On (MWC 2015): http://youtu.be/iflyt_AtK84
At around 3:11

bronin fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Mar 7, 2015

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Spy_Guy posted:

What I don't like is the changes to the application list: instead of tiles we now get some kinda terrible multi-page kinda poo poo. Terribly inefficient and a waste of screen space. :argh:

I use Nova Launcher on my M8-- it lets you change how the the application list is displayed. It's free, no rooting or anything, just gives you options to make your phone prettier/more useful. You should check it out.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Nexus 5 user posted:

This phone is near perfect condition and comes with a Nillkin 9H Hardness Tempered Glass screen protector pre-installed. The screen protector has a slight chip in the cutout around the proximity sensor but you cannot tell it's there unless you look for it and does not hinder the performance of the protector itself.

This was my daily phone until I upgraded to the Nexus 6. Shows some slight signs of wear but nothing major and it is all documented in the pictures attached.

It comes with the bootloader unlocked as I did have this rooted with a custom ROM but have flashed it back to pure stock Android 5.0.1 Lollipop.

Comes unlocked as all Nexus devices do and with a clean IMEI/ESN. IMEI number is listed in the pictures if you would like to run it.

Absolute great phone, I just have no need for it anymore.

Is this Nexus 5 worth the $275 that the phone normally goes for?

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

always be closing posted:

Is this Nexus 5 worth the $275 that the phone normally goes for?

Get a Samsung. Nexus devices are for closers.

Serious response: It looks like one could get a used Nexus 5 on Swappa for 235:
http://swappa.com/listing/VZR417/view

Mooktastical fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Mar 7, 2015

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Mooktastical posted:

Get a Samsung. Nexus devices are for closers.

Serious response: It looks like one could get a used Nexus 5 on Swappa for 235:
http://swappa.com/listing/VZR417/view

Dont forget the only. lmao.

The one im posting about is a 32gb, ill check out swappa in a minute though, thanks.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Spy_Guy posted:

I also have an HTC One M8. Ended up getting Lollipop for it and so far it's been okay.
I like the double-swipe from the top to get at the settings (two-finger swipe ruined the one-handedness). What I don't like is the changes to the application list: instead of tiles we now get some kinda terrible multi-page kinda poo poo. Terribly inefficient and a waste of screen space. :argh:

You can switch it back to the HTC Grid view :ssh:
It's the first thing I did after upgrading.

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat
It's pretty hard to recommend a Nexus 5 anymore with the poo poo battery life on Lollipop. One day it will be normal, and the next I'm down to 20% before bed with zero usage. I'm hoping the 5.1 update is going to address this issue, but I'm not holding my breath.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Shadowgate posted:

It's pretty hard to recommend a Nexus 5 anymore with the poo poo battery life on Lollipop. One day it will be normal, and the next I'm down to 20% before bed with zero usage. I'm hoping the 5.1 update is going to address this issue, but I'm not holding my breath.
There is nothing preventing him from loading KitKat on his Nexus 5 (and nothing preventing you from doing the same) if that's a serious issue for him.

Personally I think it's a fair price if you do.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
OK, thanks for the replies, and that appears to be a stock kernel, correct?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

always be closing posted:

OK, thanks for the replies, and that appears to be a stock kernel, correct?

Yes the build host is a Google one, not clownpenis.fart or whatever these XDA "kernel developers" use.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

RVProfootballer posted:

100% of complaints about lollipop are user error from people installing bad apps like Facebook

Yeah guys, just don't install the #1 most popular third-party app from the most popular site in the world - that should fix your problem.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

In fairness the facebook app is fine, the facebook messenger app is poo poo garbage.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

mango sentinel posted:

You can switch it back to the HTC Grid view :ssh:
It's the first thing I did after upgrading.

Yeah me too the new one was very bad

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Santas Ainol Elf posted:

Yeah guys, just don't install the #1 most popular third-party app from the most popular site in the world - that should fix your problem.

Facebook's app has always been awful on android, using the website is the way to go. Has nothing to do with lollipop, which was the point, and everything to do with Facebook's app being a piece of poo poo forever.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

CLAM DOWN posted:

In fairness the facebook app is fine, the facebook messenger app is poo poo garbage.

How many times does this need to be some mindblowing epiphany for people before it goes in the thread title

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

FAUXTON posted:

How many times does this need to be some mindblowing epiphany for people before it goes in the thread title

Until there aren't people like me, I guess. I got frustrated with the Facebook app changing my feed preference (recent, dammit!), so I uninstalled it and started using the mobile site. Basically the same problems, but it's one less app to possibly run amok. On the other hand, I haven't had any problems with Messenger, but to be fair I use it maybe once a week.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Seems like I'm always the guy saying things work for me but I don't have a Facebook account so I'd believe it's related.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

LastInLine posted:

Seems like I'm always the guy saying things work for me but I don't have a Facebook account so I'd believe it's related.

Same. Wanna circle me on Google Plus

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, nothing Facebook has anything at all to do with Lollipop issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat

LastInLine posted:

There is nothing preventing him from loading KitKat on his Nexus 5 (and nothing preventing you from doing the same) if that's a serious issue for him.

Personally I think it's a fair price if you do.

I mean I guess I could waste a ton of time redoing everything and playing phone janitor, but I have better things to spend my time on. I'm mostly pissed that things were fine on KitKat and now my Nexus 5 is pretty lovely.

Also I have no facebook apps or anything weird on my phone.