Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Graic Gabtar posted:

The worst part about this whole thing is that the people in this thread and Australia on the asylum seeker advocacy band wagon are the ones doing the least and/or giving the least fucks about the tens of millions of displaced persons not able to buy their way out of alleged trouble.

They fight tooth and nail to defend a group who given the dangers they say they were facing continue to riot, act generally like ungrateful fucks and any person would have to wonder what's making them do like this. Many would conclude encouragement by a nice industry built up in Australia fueled by the trade in asylum seekers desperate to keep the flow going.

Even if PNG and Nauru conclude that the money is not worth it and send a few thousand people back to Australia then Yay! Circle jerks all around for The Greens, askylum seeker advocates and most of you here.

Shame about some poor oval office hanging by his thumbs in Tehran.

A problem to hard for most of you to consider obviously.

I hope you continue to sleep well and live a full happy life, knowing that your personal moral stance is dictated by the Murdoch press and Australian Government.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Gough Suppressant posted:

So Joe Hockey farted from his mouth the idea of allowing people to draw from their superannuation to use as a deposit on a first home.

Much like the treasurer of australia, my only economics qualifications come through relation, but off the top of my head I can think of a number of problems with this.

- Like the first home owners grant it serves mainly to continue inflating the price of houses thus not making anything more affordable.
- People are at the best of times really bad at assessing future benefit vs immediate benefit, and will value a $50k deposit now far more highly than $50k when they retire
- People will think of a $50k deposit now as actually only being worth $50k, rather than $50k + 40 years of compounding interest.
- It decreases the value of your super, your second most valuable asset, to put into your house, your most valuable asset, leaving your total wealth less diversified and more at risk to market failure
- It encourages people to take out more ambitious mortgages to take advantage of "FREE MONEYS", with less consideration to whether the loan is appropriate to them in terms of income, job security etc
- You wind up with people retiring at 65 70 75 120 with less money to fund their own retirement and thus having to go on the pension starve in the streets

Like jesus gently caress, this is probably the dumbest policy Joe Hockey has ever thought of and it is sure not for lack of competition.

Dunno, I know it is a horrible idea to use super as a deposit, but then again who the gently caress wants to keep on living after retirement. Superannuation is wasted on the old :v:

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

lol the country is fed up with your safe spaces and trigger warnings you useless special snowflakes, send the sjws to mexico
Ughh as a human rights advocate I can only shake my head, and hope that sometime soon Graic, you shall be in such a position where you are being physically and psychologically tortured and not one person will raise their voice to uphold you're BASIC HUMAN RIGHT to safety, because you're a parasitic germ.

Yours truly, an Australian(ughh) with a loving moral compass calibrated to "I actually give a gently caress, dickhead".

Piss off.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

You Am I posted:

Dunno, I know it is a horrible idea to use super as a deposit, but then again who the gently caress wants to keep on living after retirement. Superannuation is wasted on the old :v:

I plan on using a house deposit merely as a means of funneling money from my super into buying anime games for tithin.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
I agree Graic, the real issue is that Australia and other countries have such limited refugee and asylum programs. Millions more persecuted people should be able to live freely and without fear, so I'm all for getting the man from Tehran a place to stay in Tasmania. But I must disagree with your other point, I believe it is quite immoral and unethical to lock up some of them indefinitely in tropical murder-torture camps to please xenophobic voters.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Graic Gabtar posted:

The worst part about this whole thing is that the people in this thread and Australia on the asylum seeker advocacy band wagon are the ones doing the least and/or giving the least fucks about the tens of millions of displaced persons not able to buy their way out of alleged trouble.

They fight tooth and nail to defend a group who given the dangers they say they were facing continue to riot, act generally like ungrateful fucks and any person would have to wonder what's making them do like this. Many would conclude encouragement by a nice industry built up in Australia fueled by the trade in asylum seekers desperate to keep the flow going.

Even if PNG and Nauru conclude that the money is not worth it and send a few thousand people back to Australia then Yay! Circle jerks all around for The Greens, askylum seeker advocates and most of you here.

I agree, we need to not just take whoever shows up here, but go outside our borders to help people around the world and bring them over much more proactively and in even greater numbers.

Wait a minute, this seems to conflict with the idea that we should be blase about the bad treatment our smaller number of current refugees is getting! :confused:

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I plan on using a house deposit merely as a means of funneling money from my super into buying anime games for tithin.

Tink appears to have beaten you to this. I apparently own every anime game on steam thanks to their efforts.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

tithin posted:

Tink appears to have beaten you to this. I apparently own every anime game on steam thanks to their efforts.

Even the fetish one you refuse to play?

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Alternatively:

Graic Gabtar posted:

Shame about some poor oval office ALLEGEDLY hanging by his thumbs in Tehran.

What're you so worried about this "alleged" trouble for, mate? It's just easier to accept that if it was really that bad over there, someone important would already be doing something about it, right?

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

So Joe Hockey farted from his mouth the idea of allowing people to draw from their superannuation to use as a deposit on a first home.

Much like the treasurer of australia, my only economics qualifications come through relation, but off the top of my head I can think of a number of problems with this.

- Like the first home owners grant it serves mainly to continue inflating the price of houses thus not making anything more affordable.
- People are at the best of times really bad at assessing future benefit vs immediate benefit, and will value a $50k deposit now far more highly than $50k when they retire
- People will think of a $50k deposit now as actually only being worth $50k, rather than $50k + 40 years of compounding interest.
- It decreases the value of your super, your second most valuable asset, to put into your house, your most valuable asset, leaving your total wealth less diversified and more at risk to market failure
- It encourages people to take out more ambitious mortgages to take advantage of "FREE MONEYS", with less consideration to whether the loan is appropriate to them in terms of income, job security etc
- You wind up with people retiring at 65 70 75 120 with less money to fund their own retirement and thus having to go on the pension starve in the streets

Like jesus gently caress, this is probably the dumbest policy Joe Hockey has ever thought of and it is sure not for lack of competition.

A solution that causes additional new problem without addressing the original issue? Yeah that sounds about right for Hockey.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
Ratbag Ciarg is Aussiemandias.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

tithin posted:

I hope you continue to sleep well and live a full happy life, knowing that your personal moral stance is dictated by the Murdoch press and Australian Government.

Copy/paste winner right here Ladies and Gentlemen.

The Murdoch press is mostly laughable.

Sorry to tell you though that the "Australian Government" lives beyond the hopefully quick demise of the Abbott circus. Expect successive Governments to have to exact same position on this.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

What is the point you are trying to make anyway? These people do not deserve sympathy because... Other bad things happen elsewhere? They aren't at the very bottom of the pile?

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
No you dense idiot Biafauxen, you see the advocacy industry in the country is alledging these things to support themselves! It's corruption! These things aren't really happening, it's the sjw cirlcejerk greenwank in this country draining money form you and me - hard working aussie battlers - to sip lattes and play steel drums!

Wake up hseepl1!!!!

It makes me happy to see that the views leading this country down the rabbit hole are actually reprehensible :keke:

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

katlington posted:

A solution that causes additional new problem without addressing the original issue? Yeah that sounds about right for Hockey.
Even better! A full time employee on minimum wage will have a super balance that would be a deposit on a house in Sydney ($800,000 price borrowing 95% at current interest rates) in only twelve years! I think Joke Hockey has been listening to eleventy billion sized numbers for so long $50 K sounds like the change you find in the Lexus centre console.

Muppet Baby Government.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

katlington posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxdda_nNecY

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Graic Gabtar posted:

Copy/paste winner right here Ladies and Gentlemen.

The Murdoch press is mostly laughable.

Sorry to tell you though that the "Australian Government" lives beyond the hopefully quick demise of the Abbott circus. Expect successive Governments to have to exact same position on this.

Oh, you're right on that last part. But that's not precisely a vindication of policy, given that it's being done to appeal to xenophobic fuckwits.

The question I'm hinting at oh so subtly, is why you find the torture of a people who desperately require aid to be an acceptable course of action?

Hint: it's because you're a caricature of an Australian Conservative, who doesn't actually exist. You are a figment.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

Graic Gabtar posted:

It's really strange, isn't it, how a stance against accepting asylum seekers can be motivated by a deep and abiding care for the people we AREN'T helping, and that translates into policies that support torturing asylum seekers instead of expanding our humanitarian program.

Don't act like you give even a hint of a poo poo about the guy hanging by his thumbs in Tehran.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

tithin posted:

Oh, you're right on that last part. But that's not precisely a vindication of policy, given that it's being done to appeal to xenophobic fuckwits.

The question I'm hinting at oh so subtly, is why you find the torture of a people who desperately require aid to be an acceptable course of action?

Hint: it's because you're a caricature of an Australian Conservative, who doesn't actually exist. You are a figment.

The funniest thing about this is that I sit in this thread agreeing with probably more than 95% of the views people have but as soon as I dare divert one iota from the sheeple script I'm Satan himself.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

Graic Gabtar posted:

The funniest thing about this is that I sit in this thread agreeing with probably more than 95% of the views people have but as soon as I dare divert one iota from the sheeple script I'm Satan himself.

Because the "one iota" on which you divert is that Australia should happily and openly imprison and torture people who've not committed a crime. It's kind of like "why are you calling me a monster? I agree with everything you say, I just also think black people are subhuman and good only for slave labour!"

If your "one iota" was, say, the effectiveness of corporate taxation, it might be different, but you're literally saying you're fine with us operating concentration camps and torturing people.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Graic Gabtar posted:

*ahem*

allegedly agreeing.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Graic Gabtar posted:

As someone who's actively been attacked itt because of a deviation from the script, and who is therefore not a sheeple himself by your definition, I'm not saying you're Satan himself, I'm saying your moral compass is hosed.

Your hyperbole is neither needed nor wanted.

Quantum Mechanic posted:

Because the "one iota" on which you divert is that Australia should happily and openly imprison and torture people who've not committed a crime. It's kind of like "why are you calling me a monster? I agree with everything you say, I just also think black people are subhuman and good only for slave labour!"

If your "one iota" was, say, the effectiveness of corporate taxation, it might be different, but you're literally saying you're fine with us operating concentration camps and torturing people.

tithin fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Mar 7, 2015

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Allegedly deviating from the script.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

tithin posted:

As someone who's actively been attacked itt because of a deviation from the script, and who is therefore not a sheeple himself by your definition, I'm not saying your Satan himself, I'm saying your moral compass is hosed.
I'm sure my moral compass is fine.

I simply think the nature of the discussion here on asylum seekers can be quite shallow as it simply defaults to the pointless "literally torture" meme every time.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
oh sure well if tortures so bad why do labor and liberal like torture so much???

maybe we're the fuckwits

e: lol

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
you know two people have died preventable deaths in the camps right

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
"how do we know parasitic advocates didn't make up reza berati and hamid kehazaei to get more cash???"

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Seagull posted:

you know two people have died preventable deaths in the camps right

Agree.

If people didn't riot one person would likely be alive.

If medical processes were more effective (and hopefully are now) one person would likely be alive.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
GAR-
BAGE
ALL-
EGED
DICK

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Graic Gabtar posted:

I simply think the nature of the discussion here on asylum seekers can be quite shallow as it simply defaults to the pointless "literally torture" meme every time.

I understand all of these words individually, but concentrated in this order they make 0 sense.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

tithin posted:

I understand all of these words individually, but concentrated in this order they make 0 sense.

Maybe we are getting to the nut of the problem. You only understand the memes.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
Who among us can truly say they have never fallen foul of the hivemind? For some, it may be bike helmet policy. For others, concentration camps. Live and let die, I say, esp if those dying are filthy brown-skinned protesters being held on a remote island against their will and all conventions of international law. Let's have a nice time joshing with our friends about the roly-poly world of politics, safe in the knowledge that there is no such thing as society.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Graic Gabtar posted:

Agree.

If people didn't riot one person would likely be alive.

If medical processes were more effective (and hopefully are now) one person would likely be alive.

I left a baby in a tiger's cage and the tiger ate it. If only the tiger was better behaved or we had the technology to revive a partially digested baby.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Graic Gabtar posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3pLDrZQTf8

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Graic Gabtar posted:

No, no, that can't be it.

Here, how about we make this nice and easy.

Please enunciate your opinion in such a way that will disprove these "memes" (or, facts, as they are more commonly known).

I promise I will give them due consideration, so long as they are verifiable.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

gently caress you i'm the metal gear guy

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

lol the country is fed up with your safe spaces and trigger warnings you useless special snowflakes, send the sjws to mexico
I hope for a theoretical world where in you can be tortured for a few days(read; forever) to understand the toll it takes upon a human, you literal bag of poo poo.

I secretly am hoping that you have your current barbaric stance thanks to walking in on your parents mid gang-bang with a group of middle-aged afghani refugees and secretly being ashamed they didn't ask if you wanted to partake/film..

gently caress off, idiot.

Have fun finding your bed tonight with that loving moral compass of yours, you god drat slug.

*Also you mentioned the classic bullshit line of "I bet half of you refugee advocates don't even do any advocating besides arm-chair advocacy etc".. Such a load of poo poo, thank you for discrediting the work I've previously done in the defence force advocating for humans freedom to live without fear of death, and countless hours volunteering my time working with disadvantaged men/women from all walks of life that are trying to live in this country populated by hate-filled fuckheads like you. You are the problem, you are what is dragging this country down so much further in that big ol' barrel of poo poo. gently caress off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

open24hours posted:

I left a baby in a tiger's cage and the tiger ate it. If only the tiger was better behaved or we had the technology to revive a partially digested baby.

Did the tiger really even exist? Maybe the baby did it for attention.

• Locked thread