Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
If you want more damage, you can just stance dance into sword oath...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Percity posted:

Yes, Shield Swipe saves TP and gives a very minor DPS increase (3~4% more potency than Halone combo). That's why I said it's not a bad skill, but paladin could use a little bit more damage while main tanking in shield oath. Shield Swipe is one way to accomplish that since it's a skill we only have easy access to while tanking.

As for Awareness, there's like one auto-critting monster in the game. There are a few others with high crit rates (Shiva, Titan, and a few coil adds come to mind), but it's still not a good skill.

*gets crit for entire hp bar*
Nope guys I swear that skill is bad just heal harder.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
PLD looks neat at 50, but I've been put off of it because GLA is just utter murder to level, especially compared to MRD. How do you do it, just suffer until 40? It seems like every sub-40 PLD/GLA I see has tons of trouble keeping aggro.

brokenknee
Aug 3, 2014

Belzac posted:

People in DGKK don't have much to show to me.

did belzac run out of medication or is he always this much of a shitbird?

Willias
Sep 3, 2008

Eej posted:

I never use Riot Blade because my Bard is singing ballad to keep me topped off.

why would you make your bard lower their damage just so you don't have to hit riot blade when you already have so much threat that the dps can't pass you up no matter how hard they try?

quote:

As for Awareness, there's like one auto-critting monster in the game. There are a few others with high crit rates (Shiva, Titan, and a few coil adds come to mind), but it's still not a good skill.

I don't need mobs to have a 100% crit rate to make Awareness good. As a tank learning T9 for the second time, Awareness is fine.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

SperginMcBadposter posted:

*gets crit for entire hp bar*
Nope guys I swear that skill is bad just heal harder.

It's not a bad skill in the sense that it's not useful. The problem is that in order for it to be useful, they have to make situations where it's blatantly useful, i.e. mobs that frequently or always crit. It's nearly worthless in any other situation though.

It would be like if paladins had an ability called Flattenproof that reduced the damage of Bahamut's Flatten by 90%. Obviously that would be a fantastic skill to have, but it would literally be useful for nothing else.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Because it is what jou say a "yoke"

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Belzac posted:

I didn't read what you wrote but I'm assuming you didn't experience the homogenization of WoW which was sparked by people complaining about their cool abilities being too situational or not as good as this other move another class got. Now cool things that were interesting for specific classes are either completely removed or everyone has to have them. Basically it's completely boring and removing cool skills like one ilm punch, haymaker, feint, shadowbind, whatever is dumb and in fact I hope they add more weird utility.

Part of that is just how much development the core WoW classes have seen, though. The amount the WoW classes have changed since vanilla boggles the mind, I don't really play WoW but it seems like literally every class has underwent at least 2 or 3 core redesigns, down to the way their basic abilities and resources work. FF14 is still in the "woo first expansion lets give everyone some weird high level abilities" phase.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Vil posted:

The term for this argument is "false equivalency", which is a fallacy (which means you're shooting your own argument in the foot by invoking it).

My god

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Yeah, I should probably just shoot him down rather than explaining why what he did makes it easy to shoot him down.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
*pushes glasses up with one finger*

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

this is why we don't talk about one ilm punch

except in PVP, you can crack a scholar in the jaw so hard they lose aetherflow stacks

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Mar 7, 2015

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
I hope the big announcement tomorrow is no new abilities in heavensward other than summons. I am out of hotkeys. New mudra combinations would be acceptable I guess, but that is it. Nothing but new passives from now until forever!

VVVV I am moderately ok with that as long as I get a suitable blood for blood replacement!

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Mar 7, 2015

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Alternatively: ditch cross-class skills entirely and just give us new abilities to replace them.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Vermain posted:

Alternatively: ditch cross-class skills entirely and just give us new abilities to replace them.

All I'm getting from this is the horrible mental image of doing T10 without Swiftcast.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
I think it'd be cool if it worked like Bravely Default. Let people cross-class any skill or trait, but have a limited number of AP and each skill costs a certain amount depending on how powerful it is.

What is a job system if I can't use Summon as a Ninja? :colbert:

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Thank goodness I got insanely lucky and got my Aurum Vale atma in the first run.

There must be some common ground between "Sac pull everything between every boss" and "Please carry me through this 40 minute 100% run with almost certainly no benefit to yourself or the other level 50s". But it's been my experience that one side or the other loses its poo poo when you suggest a compromise.

DD and AV should never have been included in Zodiac.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
As a reminder, if you are currently playing on PS3 and want to use your free upgrade to the PS4 version, you have until April 1 to apply it.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Fister Roboto posted:

It's not a bad skill in the sense that it's not useful. The problem is that in order for it to be useful, they have to make situations where it's blatantly useful, i.e. mobs that frequently or always crit. It's nearly worthless in any other situation though.

It would be like if paladins had an ability called Flattenproof that reduced the damage of Bahamut's Flatten by 90%. Obviously that would be a fantastic skill to have, but it would literally be useful for nothing else.

It's useful even outside of frequently critting mobs, though - if a mob can crit, popping it guarantees a period of time where you won't take spike damage. If your Scholar knows there's no way for you to take spike damage in the next 10 seconds, he has the time to get off a full set of dots instead of one or two, and that can make the difference on a dps check.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

It's great for adds that have high crit rates, like Bennus or (i'm going to guess here and probably be wrong because it'll turn out they don't crit) Lamia Bladedancers, T4/T8 Dreadnaughts, Ghosts of Meracydia, Shadows of Meracydia, etc.

It essentially means that while there's two tanks tanking, one will be taking MINIMAL damage and can benefit from a predictable healing rotation so people CAN focus on other things instead of oh poo poo the warrior's suddenly at 2k health

Like yes, if we're talking about dungeons we're also talking about content where you can really not hit MOST of your buttons. I can probably overpower and butchers block my way through 90% of content and only pop cooldowns for bosses, but it makes for much less interesting, and much slower content.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Healers love it when you tell them that buttons you can push that reduce or eliminate random spikes of damage are bad.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Do normal mobs crit frequently enough for it to even be noticeable?

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty
We just embarrassed the other alliances in our CT1 so hard that it crashed the server.

Edit: Oh no, I finally won my Onion chest. If this takes it away from me ...

Potato Jones fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Mar 7, 2015

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Is "world data could not be obtained" a server thing or a me thing

edit: welp, guess that's that

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

"World data could not be obtained. Please try logging in later."

Excalibur or the instance server crapped out?

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Jia posted:

Is "world data could not be obtained" a server thing or a me thing

edit: welp, guess that's that

Not just you it seems.

hobbesmaster posted:

"World data could not be obtained. Please try logging in later."

Excalibur or the instance server crapped out?

I was in Costa Del Sol doing a fate when I crashed and get the same error, so not just the instance server.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Data center exploded, RIP lets all go play checkers

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Yoshi lied, servers died.

03/06/2015 never forget

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Spaceman Future! posted:

Data center exploded, RIP lets all go play checkers

Is checkers like Triple Triad?

BEEAARR!!
Nov 9, 2004

Someone got hit
in the boingloins!

Hit in the boingloins!
Boingloins! Boingloins!
Someone got hit in them!
Echoing the same error here. :smith: I just got home from work too.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
I was literally one trial away from finishing my zeta.

:smith:

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Rexicon1 posted:

I was literally one trial away from finishing my zeta.

:smith:

I just got my last Atma and was at Fallgourds to turn it in. :(

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Tomorrow, Yoshi P announces that Final Fantasy XIV is cancelled.

amusinginquiry
Nov 8, 2009

College Slice

Percity posted:

Yes, Shield Swipe saves TP and gives a very minor DPS increase (3~4% more potency than Halone combo). That's why I said it's not a bad skill, but paladin could use a little bit more damage while main tanking in shield oath. Shield Swipe is one way to accomplish that since it's a skill we only have easy access to while tanking.

you piece of poo poo

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
This is, again, from a while back, but on the topic of seeing other people's TP there in an ACT plugin that adds a TP bar to your HUD.
https://github.com/GB19xx/ACT.TPMonitor/releases
When I installed it most of the options were in really bad engrish but it's not too hard to get the idea if you're familiar with the ACT interface, if you have trouble pm me.

With it installed, it adds a bar to everyone identical to your bar in the party list, so it looks completely natural. You can even have the color of the filled portion change when it gets to different percentages, so you can have it turn orange when someone gets under 400 to sing Paeon or Goad. It does require you to be in borderless fullscreen however, so that the bars will go over your game window.

I can't find a way to get a screenshot with the overlay or I would.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Fister Roboto posted:

when you're tanking like a single pack, not enough to matter, when you're tanking like 6+ mobs at a time (and you should always be tanking as many mobs as possible) then yes, it starts to matter, a lot

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Fister Roboto posted:

They crit enough where, in a raid damage environment, a good healer should be thinking about the effect of a crit on when and how they spend their GCDs healing tanks.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.
Guesses for any surprises at the PAX panel? I could see them announcing an Xbox One version. FF11 got a 360 version, after all.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

pksage posted:

Guesses for any surprises at the PAX panel? I could see them announcing an Xbox One version. FF11 got a 360 version, after all.

I would highly doubt that though. XBONE has ZERO Japan penetration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

pksage posted:

I'm pretty sure Microsoft only let them because they desperately wanted Square stuff on their platform too.

• Locked thread