Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Only you are the fish of my dreams

Paul Allen posted:

They're officially expanding Soarin' and Toy Story:

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2015/03/more-opportunities-to-soar-enjoy-toy-story-mania-coming-to-walt-disney-world-resort/

I'd heard people mention this here and elsewhere but I don't think it was "official" yet

Aren't they also redoing the video entirely for Soarin'? Think I remember hearing that they're going to make it more like the old America The Beautiful, instead of California centric that they just copied from Anaheim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Fejsze posted:

Aren't they also redoing the video entirely for Soarin'? Think I remember hearing that they're going to make it more like the old America The Beautiful, instead of California centric that they just copied from Anaheim.

Can't wait for the smells of flying over New Jersey.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

I had heard that Soarin' was going to get a Florida themed video, but I don't know how true that was. I can't imagine that swamp gas and gator farts would make good smells for the ride, though.

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

We are going to go for the store, then the district manager. Then WE ARE GOING TO THE CORPORATE OFFICE AND THEN TO THE EXECUTIVES! DXRYAHHHHHHHHH!!

Braksgirl posted:

I had heard that Soarin' was going to get a Florida themed video, but I don't know how true that was. I can't imagine that swamp gas and gator farts would make good smells for the ride, though.

I think the going rumor at this point is 1) All the theaters will be upgraded to digital projection instead of film, 2) They'll eventually get whatever film debuts in Beijing (Soarin' Over the World or something like that). I think there might have been talk of each film having an ending specific to the park you're in as well. So WDW would end with shots of WDW. Disneyland would end similar to the current Soarin' etc.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Braksgirl posted:

The swamp gas is actually caused by the foul stench of tourists who lack the basic hygiene fundamentals such as bathing.. with soap. The gator farts are Florida gators football team stinking up the state.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

demonR6 posted:

Marathon weekends are always pretty busy. You would be surprised at the number of people that participate. The DPHM this year seemed more busy because of the holiday. Also take into account that we are now busy almost year round because the South Americans never seem to stop coming to the parks anymore. It's always open season for them. Even last weekend was annoying busy for an off-season. I know there is at least one goon vacationing here now that can trip report what this week has been like for reference.

Personally I would stick with the latter date since your chances of it being brutally cold are somewhat less.

I know there's no avoiding busy-ness, but slightly less busy would be better. I'm leaning toward the latter race myself but we'll see what my friends think. I suppose I should give them a say instead of being trip dictator.

Braksgirl posted:

I don't have any discounts for then. In fact, Disney hasn't even released 2016 package prices at this point. They usually release package prices for the following year in the summer. I'd be happy to help you plan if you like, giving you my service and expertise, and a little pixie dust for free, but I can't give you any discount.

Disney usually has some kind of discount for those dates, though.

Oh yeah, I'm definitely not looking to book stuff immediately. Just thinking ahead. I'll keep that timing in mind and quite possibly hit you up when the time comes. Thanks!

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Paul Allen posted:

They're officially expanding Soarin' and Toy Story:

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2015/03/more-opportunities-to-soar-enjoy-toy-story-mania-coming-to-walt-disney-world-resort/

I'd heard people mention this here and elsewhere but I don't think it was "official" yet

Nice, Toy Story is by far my favorite vigorous-jacking-off simulator.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
PS my weather station registered 87F today. Wtf mother nature?

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Fejsze posted:

Thy cynic in me says that as long as people are lining up out the door to ride it, all day, every day, Disney isn't spending any more money on it. Hope I'm wrong, as it'd be a relatively inexpensive major refurb.

Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

Waiting for a bus back to beach club from MK and I've seen three Coronado Springs buses and none for me :argh:

HAHAHA AKL BUS LIKE A MINUTE AFTER THE LAST AKL BUS LEFT.

There's a little kid running around shirtless despite his parents' effort to get his shirt back on.

OH loving FINALLY A BUS

Kid update: shirt back on but he's still trying to take it off. This is kind of amusing.

Tomato Soup fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Mar 6, 2015

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

demonR6 posted:

Will toss down a couple on your behalf.

TY demon, doing gods work....

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Kazak_Hstan posted:

Nice, Toy Story is by far my favorite vigorous-jacking-off simulator.

Man, this puts that ride in a whole new uncomfortable light. :aaa:

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Who was the goon with the dining reservation algorithm. I am trying desperatly to get a Be Our Guest reservation for when my good friend is visiting, and welp, the normal way sucks and is hard.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Yes, that too.. I just got a promotion at work this week and want to book Le Cellier. I know, I'm nuts but that is one of our all-time favorites. There are dozens of amazing world class restaurants in Orlando and I want to eat at the Canada pavilion.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Who was the goon with the dining reservation algorithm. I am trying desperatly to get a Be Our Guest reservation for when my good friend is visiting, and welp, the normal way sucks and is hard.

Disney changed something on the website or database and it doesn't work anymore. But it was Jose Valasquez that wad working on the script.

Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

It's 64F today

I'm going to freeze

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Tomato Soup posted:

Waiting for a bus back to beach club from MK and I've seen three Coronado Springs buses and none for me :argh:

HAHAHA AKL BUS LIKE A MINUTE AFTER THE LAST AKL BUS LEFT.

There's a little kid running around shirtless despite his parents' effort to get his shirt back on.

OH loving FINALLY A BUS

Kid update: shirt back on but he's still trying to take it off. This is kind of amusing.

:confused: Can you not just take the monorail to TTC and then take the epcot one over?

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Monorail from TTC to Epcot, walk through the park and stop at Rose & Crown for a drink after having to deal with windowlicking tourists before heading to the resort. I know, demon you are a freaking genius.

Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

:confused: Can you not just take the monorail to TTC and then take the epcot one over?

I walked all way to the bus stop I didn't want to walk back to the monorail then through Epcot :saddowns:

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Tomato Soup posted:

I walked all way to the bus stop I didn't want to walk back to the monorail then through Epcot :saddowns:

If there is anything I learned on my Disney trip its that you better like walking.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
That's one of the things that's selling me on staying in the Boardwalk area. The only park that absolutely requires a bus is Animal Kingdom, and we only go there once per visit (usually early on a weekday, so the buses aren't packed).

And I guess maybe the water parks, if we do that.

Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

JoshTheStampede posted:

If there is anything I learned on my Disney trip its that you better like walking.

Oh definitely, I was just all walked out last night and wanted to get on a bus to not walk any more than necessary to get back to the hotel to lounge around in a tube on the Stormalong Bay lazy river. Got back in time to do that and I think it officially ruined every other pool ever for me. The sand bottom is amazing.

Divequest later today! :neckbeard:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

A Florida-centric Soarin' video would loving SUCK.

Here's some orange trees. And totally flat swamp.

The best parts of the current Soarin' is the canyon and river scenes.

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000
As a visitor from the Pacific Northwest, pine trees and California are what I flew a few thousand miles to avoid. Swamps and citrus sounds ok to me, flying around the world would be super awesome, especially if the projection system is upgraded. They should really give it the Star Tours treatment and throw a randomizer on it.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

MrYenko posted:

A Florida-centric Soarin' video would loving SUCK.

Here's some orange trees. And totally flat swamp.

The best parts of the current Soarin' is the canyon and river scenes.

Hey we have really nice springs, rivers, nature trails and there is this one spot in Clermont that is the highest peak in the state.. about 25 feet or something like that. Go down to Miami and we have the pork & beans section of town (featured on A&E's First 48 and famous for their homicides).

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

demonR6 posted:

Go down to Miami and we have the pork & beans section of town (featured on A&E's First 48 and famous for their homicides).

Soarin': Fallujah '04

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Just FYI, I'm running a promo for a gift card if you book a trip with me by April 15. Just in case anyone was on the fence.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Mykkel posted:

Disney changed something on the website or database and it doesn't work anymore. But it was Jose Valasquez that wad working on the script.

Yep, this is the truth. Sorry :(

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
What parts of the Poly will be closed/constructions zone in mid April? I heard the pathway to the TTC is closed. That would affect the building we request, since we usually like to get one of the easternmost buildings for super-fast TTC access. I'm not worried about the pools, since we never swim. But we're bringing my mom with us this time, so if we can avoid a room with an eyesore for a view, I'd like to.

Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

Crowds today at Epcot weren't too bad but it was cold. EMH was practically a ghost town in the international gateway with people just sprinting between pavilions to find a shop to duck in for warmth. So glad I wasn't here when it hit 30s earlier.

Ps Divequest owns so much, do it if you're certified. If not, get certified then do it.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Lincoln posted:

What parts of the Poly will be closed/constructions zone in mid April? I heard the pathway to the TTC is closed. That would affect the building we request, since we usually like to get one of the easternmost buildings for super-fast TTC access. I'm not worried about the pools, since we never swim. But we're bringing my mom with us this time, so if we can avoid a room with an eyesore for a view, I'd like to.

The traditional path to the TTC is closed, yes, however, there is now a temporary path around the construction walls that leads from the Poly bus stop area to the TTC, via the TTC/Poly Manager Parking Lot.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

JoshTheStampede posted:

I hit 11.6 miles today. Sunday I walked a half marathon.

It is indeed a poo poo ton of walking. Today was three parks sunday was just DAK and MK. Parks were moderate today, Soarin had a 65 minute wait when we rode it.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

JoshTheStampede posted:

When I'm just out and about walking is boring as gently caress. When I'm at Disney I will crisscross the park faster than my husband can move, weaving gleefully through crowds and poo poo because "it's JUST a little further" because of the visuals.

I was like this in Japan too when everything was on top of each other and I had buildings and people to constantly eat up my vision.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

When I'm just out and about walking is boring as gently caress. When I'm at Disney I will crisscross the park faster than my husband can move..

Same here. My wife will say "want to go on a walk later." and I'll give the we'll see line yet we go to the theme park and I'll walk ten miles without issues. Go figure right?

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Only you are the fish of my dreams

Braksgirl posted:

Just FYI, I'm running a promo for a gift card if you book a trip with me by April 15. Just in case anyone was on the fence.

So those of us who already booked get boned? Boooo I say. Booooo.

Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

Dinosaur sucks, don't do it especially if you've done Indiana Jones in Disneyland. Ended up accidentally photobombing the ride photo because we looked so bored.

It's just strobe light effects and dinosaurs popping out of the scenery. How did they get it so right with Everest then fail so bad with Dinosaur?

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

Tomato Soup posted:

Ps Divequest owns so much, do it if you're certified. If not, get certified then do it

I've been dying to do divequest since I got certified. The cost includes admission to Epcot, right?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

JoshTheStampede posted:

I totally under estimated this aspect of our trip. We just got back from 8 days/7 nights and I'm not going back until I can afford to stay at BLT or The Contemporary. The trip was great, but I feel like I spent over a third of the time walking to/from where we wanted to be or waiting on a loving bus.

My wife's fitbit kept track of everything, our busiest day was over 22,000 steps, that was last weekend during extra magic hours at Magic Kingdom where just the adults went back to MK around 11PM, and our lightest day was 16K steps. Basically every day we walked a 10K or more (7 to 10+ miles a day), and most of that time I was pushing a double stroller with a 3 & a 5 year old in it that weigh a combined 80 pounds, add another 27 for the stroller and I was pushing around 107 pounds all day. My wife was on packmule duty hauling everything we needed in a backpack.

Really though, I was not physically ready for this trip, I'm what the nice lady at the suit store called "Executive Sized" (aka fat white dude with an office job), and I was physically exhausted and hurting entire trip. I think I got at most 6 hours of sleep on any given night.

The travel time to get around though is ridiculous, so much of our vacation was wasted waiting on buses to get around. We were at AoA in a family suite, and my kids are still at the age where they need naps. That's a minimum of 2 round trips to the parks every day, sometimes more depending on dining reservations. 15 minute average waiting on the bus, another 15 to 20 to get where we were going, and we seriously spent 3 to 4 hours a day just on the bus. Older kids and families might make it the entire day at the park, but not us. We spent 70% of our time at the Magic Kingdom, in hindsight the extra money for the contemporary would have been peanuts.

I just checked, it's almost .7 miles from Fantasyland/Be Our Guest to bus stop 34 at the Magic Kingdom servicing the AOA resort. I hated that walk so much. It's 11PM, you're exhausted, ready to leave, and oh, lets push a 110 pound stroller over half a mile so we can wait on a bus that is going to be packed asses to elbows to ride 15 to 20 minutes to the resort. No wonder everyone there rents a scooter. First on the bus alone would be worth it.

I could write a small novel about my first trip to Disney. It was really amazing though. I was absolutely floored by the sheer scale of everything, the attention to detail, and how clean the parks were and how friendly everyone was. I have my gripes of course, and I'm sure I seem bitchy because I'm sunburned and my feet still hurt but overall it's pretty amazing. We'll be going again but we'll be changing a lot of things next time. I might post a full trip report later on this week but here's a few things I took away from this trip

1: The DDP and the resort mug are a waste of money. I'll not be purchasing either again.
2: Memory Maker is worth every single penny
3: Never again staying off monorail
4: It really is the happiest place on earth and I can't wait to go back. The children had so much fun I don't even think about the thousands of dollars I just spent. It was worth it.

Also last weekend seemed really busy to me, I don't know why anyone would go during peak season, it must be absolutely miserable. Nothing I rode was worth waiting more than 15 minutes for. Soarin' was OK, but I have no need to ride it again. Toy Story Mania I would go on with a FP or less than 15 minute wait time, but I definitely wouldn't wait 75+ minutes for that.

The only problem during our trip was Thursday night we went to Downtown Disney for dinner and shopping, there was some sort of accident at the bus station and it took over an hour just to get on a bus back to the resort. They shut the entire thing down and had to tow a bus away. I hope no one got hurt or anything, but it was complete and total chaos, and definitely was not a 'magical' part of my trip.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Fejsze posted:

So those of us who already booked get boned? Boooo I say. Booooo.

You will not get boned. At least not by me. I mean, I don't know your life. ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

I'm starting to wish that I didn't do DDP too, I don't know how I'll use all of the QS credits. The options are so poo poo other than Epcot and the desserts suck.

BlueBayou posted:

I've been dying to do divequest since I got certified. The cost includes admission to Epcot, right?

Yup! But you only can get in when the tour starts and it's just for you so if someone wants to watch, they need to pay for Epcot admission. You can stick around in Epcot when you're done though. 4:30 would give you more time but when I went, they had a big group at 4:30 and just me at 5:30 so if you don't care about getting less time in Epcot, it might be better to do the later time slot.