Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.

Endman posted:

Oh look in waltzes "better than that guy who thinks he's better than the rest of the thread" to slap his shrivelled dick all over our faces, thanks for forming the capstone of this tired charade you tosser.

OH LOOK ITS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Asphyxious posted:

OH LOOK ITS

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
slapping his shriveled face on our dicks

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4N4s2Q0YPU

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Graic Gabtar posted:

A quick trip down meme-mory lane. The last time you were all calling me Hitler it was over the fact that the Australian Government was "literally committing piracy" by stopping boats.

Guess what? A massive lawyers picnic later and after countless forum/twitter wars the High Court finds that the Australian Government was acting lawfully.

Is lawful, is good? I don't think anyone arguing against it particularly cares if it fits the legal definition of torture or not.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
lawful good is a lovely alignment for hack frauds

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

open24hours posted:

Is lawful, is good? I don't think anyone arguing against it particularly cares if it fits the legal definition of torture or not.

Hey man, piracy has never been lega-

NO GOD drat IT GET OUT OF HERE FRANCIS I DON'T CARE HOW SEXY YOUR PANTALO-

GET THAT loving BOAT OUT OF HERE YOU SON OF A BI-

:doh:

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

The worst part about this whole thing is that the people in this thread on the stop-the-circle-jerk band wagon are the ones doing the least and/or giving the least fucks about the disadvantaged persons allegedly not able to buy their way into an account on this forum.

They fight tooth and nail to defend a group who given the alleged hivemind they say they were facing continue to troll, act generally like ungrateful fucks and any person would have to wonder what's making them do like this. Many would conclude encouragement by a nice industry built up by Lowtax fueled by the trade in mangosteens desperate to keep the flow going.

Even if Xylo concludes that the money is not worth it and pardons a few trolls back from the leper colony then Yay! Circle jerks all around for Ratbag, troll advocates and most of you on Something Sensitive.

Shame about some poor oval office too busy starving in Africa to even lurk in a Mafia game.

A problem too hard for most of you to consider obviously.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

A Question: When do we get to the "Dance puppets, dance!" portion of Ratbag's performance?

Stop, Hitler time! Heil myself! And many many other solid-gold hits! Money-back guarantee for perverts!

You all do realize that Graic is having the all-time best wank right now? Trouble is, the next hit will be harder to get hurrrr.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Who is doing this

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Anidav posted:

Who is doing this

No idea, but whoever is behind it is gaslighting you like nuts and it's amazing.

Must be new avatar day, I've got one and now Fruity has too.

EDIT: And another one for Anidav, hahahah wow.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

I want a Morrison's Maulers gang tag :(

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

quote:

A senior surgeon has been criticised for her "appalling" suggestion that surgical trainees should stay silent if they're sexually assaulted by a colleague because coming forward could ruin their careers.

Dr Gabrielle McMullin, a Sydney vascular surgeon, says sexism is so rife among surgeons in Australia that young woman in the field should probably just accept unwanted sexual advances.

She referred to the case of Caroline, who won a case against a surgeon accused of sexually assaulting her while she was completing surgical training at a Melbourne hospital. But the woman was unable to get work at any public hospital in Australasia after the legal victory, Dr McMullin told ABC radio at a book launch at Parliament House in Sydney on Friday night.

"Her career was ruined by this one guy asking for sex on this night. And, realistically, she would have been much better to have given him a blow job on that night," Dr McMullin said.

"What I tell my trainees is that, if you are approached for sex, probably the safest thing to do in terms of your career is to comply with the request; the worst thing you can possibly do is to complain to the supervising body because then, as in Caroline's position, you can be sure that you will never be appointed to a major public hospital."

Centre Against Sexual Assault Victorian spokeswoman Carolyn Worth said the comments were "appalling" and "irresponsible" because perpetrators thrive on not being challenged about their behaviour.

"I would have thought highly trained professionals would be able to operate a better system than that," she said. "I actually don't think that's acceptable advice in this day and age."

Domestic Violence Victoria chief executive Fiona McCormack said the comments were "outrageous" and "pretty extraordinary".

"We need to be looking at the sexism that exists in the medical profession," she said. "It's a sad indictment on us and the community when this is what women are being advised to do to benefit their career."

Australian Medical Association Victoria president Dr Tony Bartone said he strongly disagreed with Dr McMullin's advice to young women.

"This old view of acceptance needs to be eradicated," he said in a statement.

"Sexual assault is a crime and will not be tolerated by our society. The medical profession is not exempt from this maxim."

He said all public hospitals have procedures in place to allow employees to safely report everything from bullying to sexual assault. "There should not be negative consequences for reporting."

Further comment is being sought from Dr McMullin and the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons.

HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Burn it all.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
Jesus knew that every avatar has its place, and uh, maybe that place is Anidav.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

Mr Chips posted:

Stop falling for the same old boring troll, you idiots.

homebrew
Mar 13, 2007

Needs more (safer) beer.

Bifauxnen posted:

The worst part about this whole thing is that the people in this thread on the stop-the-circle-jerk band wagon are the ones doing the least and/or giving the least fucks about the disadvantaged persons allegedly not able to buy their way into an account on this forum.

They fight tooth and nail to defend a group who given the alleged hivemind they say they were facing continue to troll, act generally like ungrateful fucks and any person would have to wonder what's making them do like this. Many would conclude encouragement by a nice industry built up by Lowtax fueled by the trade in mangosteens desperate to keep the flow going.

Even if Xylo concludes that the money is not worth it and pardons a few trolls back from the leper colony then Yay! Circle jerks all around for Ratbag, troll advocates and most of you on Something Sensitive.

Shame about some poor oval office too busy starving in Africa to even lurk in a Mafia game.

A problem too hard for most of you to consider obviously.

I'm trying really hard to give a gently caress about your posting and failing.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Lid posted:

HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Burn it all.

Abc headline, "Sexual harassment rife in medical profession, senior surgeon Dr Gabrielle McMullin says" Lol. 😧

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Well maybe you shouldn't try so hard, tryhard :v:

Endman
May 18, 2010

homebrew posted:

I'm trying really hard to give a gently caress about your posting and failing.

I know, right? Whenever I try and read a post longer than a couple of sentences, my eyes roll back into my head and I start choking on my own tongue.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

katlington posted:

Abc headline, "Sexual harassment rife in medical profession, senior surgeon Dr Gabrielle McMullin says" Lol. 😧
Prime Minister NTATA asked for comment:

"Ah ah if they didn't want to play Doctors and Nurses ah ah maybe they shouldn't have become surgeons."

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

katlington posted:

The whole story is amazingly backwards

quote:

Vascular surgeon Dr Gabrielle McMullin is a co-author of Pathways to Gender Equality - The Role of Merit and Quotas. The book was launched at Parliament House in Sydney last night.

"Caroline was ... the daughter that you'd wish to have. She excelled at school. What she always wanted to be was a neurosurgeon," she said.

"At the hospital Caroline ended up training at, one surgeon took her under his wing. But things got uncomfortable.

"He kept asking her back to his rooms after hours. But after this one particularly long [work] session, she felt it was rude to refuse and they ended up back in his rooms, where, of course, it was dark and there was nobody else around, and he sexually assaulted her.

"She was horrified. She ran out of the office. She didn't tell anyone."

Dr McMullin said the surgeon began to give Caroline bad reports and faced with the prospect of failing after years of hard work, Caroline finally complained.

After a long and gruelling legal process, Caroline won her case.

"However, despite that victory, she has never been appointed to a public position in a hospital in Australasia," Dr McMullin said.

"Her career was ruined by this one guy asking for sex on this night. And realistically, she would have been much better to have given him a blow job on that night.

"The worst thing you could possibly do is to complain to the supervising body, because then, as in Caroline's position, you can be sure that you will never be appointed to a major public hospital."

quote:

Pathways to Gender Equality - The Role of Merit and Quotas

quote:

realistically, she would have been much better to have given him a blow job on that night.

quote:

quote:

realistically, she would have been much better to have given him a blow job on that night.

quote:

quote:

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

lol the country is fed up with your safe spaces and trigger warnings you useless special snowflakes, send the sjws to mexico
I'm going to have a quite saturday night in, try not to drink, while reading Battlelines... - Said no-one ever.

I feel pretty good about the fact I've never angered anyone on somethingawfulcomedyforums enough for them to waste 10 bucks on an av, though I have started posting in AusPol so I imagine that might change.

Who knows, who cares, who's upset with this lovely state of affairs?

I also lied about not drinking tonight, it's loving saturday.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
Hi Auspol im new. Really looking forward to voting boy its going to be exciting!!!

I'm guessing most people here are voting for the Fred Nile Group like myself yea?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
1.3/10 - Far too obvious! Even the most hair trigger of the troll biters will have trouble feeling outraged.

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

busb posted:

Hi Auspol im new. Really looking forward to voting boy its going to be exciting!!!

I'm guessing most people here are voting for the Fred Nile Group like myself yea?

gently caress YOU AND KILL YOURSELF

auzdark
Aug 29, 2005

Mercy is the cry of the soul that stirred,
Mercy is the cry and it's never heard.
Whats the NSW campaign like? QLD was played like LNP were going to win "hey we aren't selling, just leasing for 99 years" and "bikies fund labor" - as you already know.

Any gold come out of this yet?

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

Cartoon posted:

1.3/10 - Far too obvious! Even the most hair trigger of the troll biters will have trouble feeling outraged.

well that's 0.3 more than i was expec

MC Eating Disorder posted:

oh :(

For real though I've paid poo poo all attention to state politics lately. I'm guessing the libs are still going to retain though.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Lid posted:

The whole story is amazingly backwards

Yeah I'm not sure. You could read it either way. The charitable view is that the Australian medical profession is so ridiculouosly sexist that to complain will torpedo your career.

The other view is that blowjobs for everyone.

homebrew
Mar 13, 2007

Needs more (safer) beer.

Isn't that Fruity's line?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

-(C) Clibe Palber 2015

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
The 0.3 was for sheer audacity.

As to NSW there is a teenie tiny chance that it will end up as a hung parliament with a hostile upper house. I'll be campaigning hard against the Nats in my seat. I don't really care who else you vote for just not them.

That's why. As a safe Nationals seat in NSW for forever and a day that's what we've got. Decay and neglect.

If anyone has sportsbet figures on the election that would be nice.

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler

SynthOrange posted:

Yeah I'm not sure. You could read it either way. The charitable view is that the Australian medical profession is so ridiculouosly sexist that to complain will torpedo your career.

The other view is that blowjobs for everyone.

I'm 99% sure she's expressing the former view. My 1% of doubt is because this is Australia.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Serrath posted:

I'm 99% sure she's expressing the former view. My 1% of doubt is because this is Australia.

She might be, but said view is "give blow jobs on request otherwise you lose your job".

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

Cartoon posted:

The 0.3 was for sheer audacity.

As to NSW there is a teenie tiny chance that it will end up as a hung parliament with a hostile upper house. I'll be campaigning hard against the Nats in my seat. I don't really care who else you vote for just not them.

That's why. As a safe Nationals seat in NSW for forever and a day that's what we've got. Decay and neglect.

If anyone has sportsbet figures on the election that would be nice.

That makes me sad. I'm basically an opposite Mills in every way if that makes sense, although i live in the leafy north shore so my vote counts for little anyway.

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

Ham Wrangler

Lid posted:

She might be, but said view is "give blow jobs on request otherwise you lose your job".

My interpretation of what she said (and I arrive at this interpretation because she's not the only surgeon who I've heard share this view) is that sexism is so endemic to the profession that, when you're inevitably prepositioned by your superior your option is to

a) submit and engage in a requested sex act
b) refuse, keep it to yourself, and then face discrimination from your workplace supervisor
c) make a complaint and watch your career tank

She offered stories about women who took option b (which happened to her) and c (which happened to another surgeon she is familiar with) and for whom the situation was made worse leading her to conclude that the only option remaining that will not negatively impact your career is option a.

She's not the only person with this view; it's a real problem in surgery especially and better protections need to be provided and enforced to whistleblowers so that (a) is no longer the only option to preserve your career integrity.

**edit** I can tell you that there's a fundamental disconnect when we're told about the different specialties depending on whether or not it's a professor teaching us or a reg (or, worse, an intern). Professors talking about surgery suggest that the well-known problems with work/life balance and rampant sexism are in the past, have been addressed through existing legislation and improvements to hospital culture and that we have nothing to fear by the time we graduate in spite of the really awful stories that are floating around. Registrants who lecture us, though, still speak of the old boys club, the expectations of massive amounts of unpaid overtime, burnout and hostile teaching staff who make the process as painful as possible. Whether the truth is with the professors who lecture us or the registrants who are in the process, the fact is that all surgical specialties are the only remaining specialty in medicine that do not allow for maternity leave and to take maternity leave is to remove yourself from the surgery training program. Because doctors graduate at the age where they usually start to decide to have children (aged 25-35), this is a massive obstacle to starting a family and is one of the primary reasons cited why so few women choose to enter the surgical training pathway.

Serrath fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Mar 7, 2015

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Lid posted:

I'm pretty sure, reading the article, that the view is 'In retrospect with how the incident has destroyed her career, a blowjob in exchange for NOT being blacklisted would have been the least damaging option in this hosed up world.'

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

SynthOrange posted:

I'm pretty sure, reading the article, that the view is 'In retrospect with how the incident has destroyed her career, a blowjob in exchange for NOT being blacklisted would have been the least damaging option in this hosed up world.'

There's a world of difference between "in retrospect" and "I tell my students to just give in to sexual demands because otherwise they will be blackballed" which is furthering the situation itself and telling some of her students they have sexual dominance (if male) and thats just the way it is.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
It is pretty spot on.

To progress up the chain you need to get good referrals from your supervisors.

You cannot progress if you get bad ones. You need to give 4-10 references when applying to training programs. If one of them is bad, you won't get in because everyone else applying will have good ones. To put the numbers in to context, most specialities (surgery) take around 10-40 trainees. General surgery takes the most with around 400. UQ last year churned out around 400 doctors. So there are a lot of people applying for these positions.

If your boss says 'suck my dick or you'll get a poo poo reference'. It's a pretty powerful position to be in. Report it, he will call bullshit, tell all of his colleagues and you'll get tainted. Good luck getting in to your speciality.

Suck a dick or flush 7 years of study and 2 years of work down the drain.

Until they get rid of the requirement and the weighting of supervisor reports when applying (and progressing through training) it will remain a boys club.

edit: Even with over 60% of medical graduates being female.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Also depending on where you read about the issue, the conclusion comes up pretty differently:

For example the ABC's (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-03-07/sexual-harassment-rife-in-medical-profession-surgeon-says/6287994) essentially ends with die cis scumnever trust men ever, which is pretty reasonable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

Ham Wrangler
There's a larger dialogue to be had as well about the fact that increasing female enrolments is just polarising the gender ratios of some specialties. Graduating cohorts now frequently contain 55%+ female members which causes members of the media, universities, hospitals, politicians to point and say "look how great we are at bridging this gap" yet medical education doesnt end at graduation from medical school and you wind up with numbers like less than 5% of cardiothorasic surgeons being female, 7.7% of orthopaedic surgeons etc etc. Like, the problem is really stark, you used to be able to say that the gender ratios were caused by a lower proportion of females graduating medicine leading to a lower proportion of females applying but that's no longer the case so why are some specialties so male-dominated?

• Locked thread