Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kangra
May 7, 2012

I normally don't listen to repeats, but I caught the first part of this one, and the follow-up on the guy who was put in jail after 11 years of mistakenly being left free was pretty amazing.

You can hear the update starting around 23:50 in the new episode.

He was released from prison when a judge ruled that incarcerating him would be a waste of the state's time and money. Then a few months later he was arrested and jailed for a robbery. It wasn't until three months after that they found security footage proving his innocence, and he was freed again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

holy crap the voice of that theater girl with the robot baby. aaaaaa

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Lutha Mahtin posted:

She has a bright future ahead appearing in creepy asmr videos on youtube I think.

e: wait I mean the christian girl, didn't the theatre girl just sound like a teenager?

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets

Lutha Mahtin posted:

She talks like Maria Bamford, except not because she is in character.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

a pipe smoking dog posted:

She has a bright future ahead appearing in creepy asmr videos on youtube I think.

e: wait I mean the christian girl, didn't the theatre girl just sound like a teenager?

well a big section of that segment was when the two of them were at rehearsal and it featured the whispery girl singing. and i liked how the girl who was described as the "theater kid" sounded way more well-adjusted and way less of the stereotypical mental trainwreck you think of when you think of high school theater

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Mar 3, 2015

Holy Dread!
Nov 17, 2006

cover your flesh... cover your flesh!

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Jesus christ I wanted to destroy my keyboard and everything around me when she was talking. One of my co-workers actually asked me what was wrong because I was visibly angry while listening to her speak.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

Holy Dread! posted:

Jesus christ I wanted to destroy my keyboard and everything around me when she was talking. One of my co-workers actually asked me what was wrong because I was visibly angry while listening to her speak.

Don't wanna work with you on the day you get some real bad news.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.
"What's wrong, you ask? What's wrong??? Well I'm listening to a podcast and some high school girl has a quirky voice. It's enough to make you want to break everything around you, you know what I mean? Oh, you don't, because you're able to handle the sound of another human's voice without violent rage?"

I'm also one if those weirdos who likes Zoe Chase and politely ignores vocal fry so what do I know.

Holy Dread!
Nov 17, 2006

cover your flesh... cover your flesh!

ChetReckless posted:

"What's wrong, you ask? What's wrong??? Well I'm listening to a podcast and some high school girl has a quirky voice. It's enough to make you want to break everything around you, you know what I mean? Oh, you don't, because you're able to handle the sound of another human's voice without violent rage?"

I'm also one if those weirdos who likes Zoe Chase and politely ignores vocal fry so what do I know.

I also tend to suffer from a bad case of RBF on a regular basis.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Recently when TAL had that segment on vocal fry, Ira Glass said they have never gotten an email about him having it and I laughed so hard I almost drove off the road. I should send him an email "It's OK bro, out of all the people on your show I've always found your voice way more annoying than any of the women".

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Yeah I couldn't stand that Christian girls voice. She sounds like she is faking it but she probably isn't.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
I think the most realistic scenario is that she is faking it but the affectation has become her reality because it's a crutch to support her crippling fear that she's not interesting. She's not.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I'm not going to analyze her much, but it did take some real effort to get through that segment, which was otherwise interesting (I have a 7 month old girl and I just got through the WHAT THE HELL AM I DOING WRONG SWEET JESUS SLEEP WONT YOU OH GOD I"M A TERRIBLE PERSON portion of her life).

I just assume she's a real fan of Maria Bamford.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
She was the stewardess from Airplane!, right?

nerdpony
May 1, 2007

Apparently I was supposed to put something here.
Fun Shoe
I listened to this week's episode on the way to work a few mornings ago, and the first act about the 1980's Army-produced "Dada musical theater" is honestly one of the best things I've heard in a long time. I absolutely loved it and it got my day off to a really good start. It reminded me of my college days working in community theatre, but with an extra somewhat batshit twist.

I also found this story about it from a local paper that includes some links to contemporary coverage of the Soldier Safety Shows.

Stealth Edit: Also, I've been listening to Longest Shortest Time for the last month or so and have been working my way through the backlog. I don't have kids and don't want kids of my own, but am really enjoying the podcast. I recommend it.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah, that military safety thing sounded just so completely bizarre. I can see why they claim that the soldiers actually paid attention to it, because :stare::stare::stare:

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Yeah this was a great episode. I didn't mind the girls voice either. It was weird but not grating. This is one of those great TAL episodes which is just goofy, light, touching, and all that stuff.

nerdpony
May 1, 2007

Fun Shoe
Yesterday morning, I was catching up on this thread and came across the conversation about the stories about being high episode; I actually recently overheard Ira telling someone that that episode wasn't worth listening to and it was, in his opinion, one of the worst episodes they've done ever.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

nerdpony posted:

Yesterday morning, I was catching up on this thread and came across the conversation about the stories about being high episode; I actually recently overheard Ira telling someone that that episode wasn't worth listening to and it was, in his opinion, one of the worst episodes they've done ever.

I got that very impression from other people's reactions and have not bothered to listen to it for that reason. Glad Ira himself agrees. Where were you that you heard that?

nerdpony
May 1, 2007

Fun Shoe

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

I got that very impression from other people's reactions and have not bothered to listen to it for that reason. Glad Ira himself agrees. Where were you that you heard that?

I went up to say something to him after a documentary screening at the IFC Center in New York (he interviewed the director of the documentary afterwards) and he and I ended up walking out of the movie theatre together; a girl showed him a list of three shows from the TAL app and said that they were the only three she hadn't listened to and asked if he could give her a reason to listen to each. He said that the drug story one was among his least favorite and she could probably just skip it.

(I do really like the Price is Right story, though.)

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

nerdpony posted:

I went up to say something to him after a documentary screening at the IFC Center in New York (he interviewed the director of the documentary afterwards) and he and I ended up walking out of the movie theatre together; a girl showed him a list of three shows from the TAL app and said that they were the only three she hadn't listened to and asked if he could give her a reason to listen to each. He said that the drug story one was among his least favorite and she could probably just skip it.

What the gently caress question is that to ask a guy... TELL ME WHY SHOULD I BOTHER TO LISTEN TO YOUR WORK.

I think I would have been far less nice to that chick.

nerdpony
May 1, 2007

Fun Shoe

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

What the gently caress question is that to ask a guy... TELL ME WHY SHOULD I BOTHER TO LISTEN TO YOUR WORK.

I think I would have been far less nice to that chick.

Well, I mean, it was prefaced with her totally fangirling and telling him how much she loved him and everything else and she had been marathoning the entire run of the show.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

nerdpony posted:

They'd originally planned to rely more (entirely?) on crowd-sourced stories, but he admits in the episode that most stories about getting high aren't interesting to people who weren't part of the story.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

nerdpony posted:

Strange, I really liked the episode, though I agree that the original idea didn't pan out, but all the stories that are actually on the show are things you can relate to if you are a, or know people who are regular drug users.

Watermelon City
May 10, 2009

nerdpony posted:

That was a great segment. Why Ira would single out the drug stories episode rather than that Burroughs turkey is beyond me.

nerdpony
May 1, 2007

Fun Shoe

Watermelon City posted:

That was a great segment. Why Ira would single out the drug stories episode rather than that Burroughs turkey is beyond me.

The Burroughs episode hadn't been released yet.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

He seemed pretty happy about the Burroughs episode when he introduced it, though, and also didn't produce that one. And it wasn't as bad as the terrible Federal Reserve story (another one produced elsewhere).

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

nerdpony posted:

The Burroughs episode hadn't been released yet.

Kangra posted:

He seemed pretty happy about the Burroughs episode when he introduced it, though, and also didn't produce that one. And it wasn't as bad as the terrible Federal Reserve story (another one produced elsewhere).

The Burroughs episode was the NPR version of being forced to listen to your friend's favorite band while he stares at you with a fixed smile on his face.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
I really find everyone's anger with the Burroughs episode hilarious. I guess if you spend all day listening to the BBC you just get used to radio docs sounding like that.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
The Burroughs episode would probably get less attention if the intro hadn't made it sound like it was going to be this mind-blowing, incredible piece. It wasn't.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I liked it, but agree that it fell short of mind-blowing and incredible. The seething hatred for it is pretty amusing, though.

nerdpony
May 1, 2007

Fun Shoe
I have no memories associated with that episode. I assume I listened to it because I listen every week (unless it's a rerun of an episode I wasn't terribly impressed with), but I couldn't tell you anything about it.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

effervescible posted:

The Burroughs episode would probably get less attention if the intro hadn't made it sound like it was going to be this mind-blowing, incredible piece. It wasn't.

Yeah. I'm not enraged by it, but the buildup versus outcome was hilarious (see my earlier simile).

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

The Modern Leper posted:

The Burroughs episode was the NPR version of being forced to listen to your friend's favorite band while he stares at you with a fixed smile on his face.
I finally slogged through it today. In the first 15 minutes I was thinking "this isn't so bad, really" but the part about "cut-ups" made me want to murder.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Boo. Looks like a re-run this week. A good re-run (I love the "Hello Calgary" story), but a re-run none the less.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
Reruns are fine and all, but I rather wish they'd reach a little farther back than 51 weeks.

So if you feel cheated, go listen to the P.I. Moms (447) or David and Goliath (303) for something a bit older that you might not remember hearing last March.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Antifreeze Head posted:

Reruns are fine and all, but I rather wish they'd reach a little farther back than 51 weeks.

So if you feel cheated, go listen to the P.I. Moms (447) or David and Goliath (303) for something a bit older that you might not remember hearing last March.

I think that's what bugs me because I still vividly remember the episode. Usually I don't mind re-runs cause I only started listening to the podcast a year ago, so its all new to me.

I've heard good things about "P.I" moms through, so I'll listen to that episode this week instead. :)

nerdpony
May 1, 2007

Fun Shoe

Snuffman posted:

I think that's what bugs me because I still vividly remember the episode. Usually I don't mind re-runs cause I only started listening to the podcast a year ago, so its all new to me.

I've heard good things about "P.I" moms through, so I'll listen to that episode this week instead. :)

PI Moms is great. It's one of those episodes that sometimes I'll go back and listen to just because.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Antifreeze Head posted:

Thank Mike Daisy for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
That's when I soured on TAL. I still enjoy the occasional episode but none of them catch me as they used to.

• Locked thread