Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
OK, using the Tiger mask and only using guns if I can't get through a room otherwise is working fantastically. Lowest score I get now is B-. :haw:

Thanks guys. Enjoying myself a lot more with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HeavingGirth
Oct 6, 2014

Backers of the Jacket figure on kickstarter are supposed to be getting their codes sometime today via email. I just want my vinyl and toy :(

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

your advice to a first-time player attempting to get the game to "click" is to use a mask obtained in one of the final levels and to try and go for extremely long combos

i see
git gud

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

poptart_fairy posted:

So, uh, do you guys have any advice for "getting" the first game? I'm trying to play through it again but I'm getting so frustrated at my character's fragile nature - it's annoying me that I keep getting killed by off-screen gunfire and the like. I know it's kinda the point (the first time I aced a level with the music blaring and then found myself silently passing by all the maimed corpses on the way out, eesh...) but I'm finding it really difficult to separate "this is it's meant to be played, dufus" and "argh so much failure".

Start dancing to the music and your mind and body will follow.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

poptart_fairy posted:

So, uh, do you guys have any advice for "getting" the first game? I'm trying to play through it again but I'm getting so frustrated at my character's fragile nature - it's annoying me that I keep getting killed by off-screen gunfire and the like. I know it's kinda the point (the first time I aced a level with the music blaring and then found myself silently passing by all the maimed corpses on the way out, eesh...) but I'm finding it really difficult to separate "this is it's meant to be played, dufus" and "argh so much failure".

Hold down control and sweep around the room to figure out where everyone is and what their patrol paths are. Also remember that they can see and shoot through windows.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Capn Beeb posted:

Start dancing to the music and your mind and body will follow.

Hotline Miami 2: Start dancing to the music and your mind and body will follow. March 10th.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Control Volume posted:

Also remember that they can see and shoot through windows.

But not outside windows, so walking the perimeter of the first floor is always a good idea.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

This is not very relevant to the current topic, but is there a convenient list of all the recommended films?

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Butt Ghost posted:

Hotline Miami is drugs

I first played Hotline Miami when I had a really bad cold, the bright colors and swaying camera are a pretty good simulation of a modest DXM trip imho.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Serperoth posted:

This is not very relevant to the current topic, but is there a convenient list of all the recommended films?

yes, please list any films remotely reminiscent of hotline miami so that i may watch them prior to launch

freeipods
Jul 3, 2007

Sleeveless posted:

If you want to get in the mood for Hotline Miami 2 but don't want to spoil the soundtrack may I recommend some thematically-appropriate Netflix? I assume everybody already knows about Drive.

I can't speak for its predecessors, but Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning fits in pretty well with the rest of this list.

edit: VVV maybe i should've given more context. it's a brightly colored movie about a brainwashed guy doing lots of murder. 8.8/10

freeipods fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Mar 7, 2015

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

This may not be exactly what you're looking for, but have you considered A Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin?

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

:ocelot:
You're pretty good.
:ocelot:

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

This may not be exactly what you're looking for, but have you considered A Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin?

To get in the mood for HLM2? Is it because... People die? Is that the only connection?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Drive, Hobo With a Shotgun, Machete, most Quentin Tarantino movies, Beyond the Black Rainbow if it's about the soundtrack and psychadelic quality I dunno man

It really depends on what part of Hotline Miami you liked, and it's not like "retro action movies with lots of gore" or "psychedelic movies with retro soundtracks" are impossible to find in the world

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Vic Boss posted:

To get in the mood for HLM2? Is it because... People die? Is that the only connection?
Sometimes people mess with other people on the internet.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Don't forget The Guest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-psayRM1XqU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What are the solid details on this thing?
How many levels are in the campaign,
how many characters or masks are playable since the Fans themselves seem kind of limited,
is there a mask/weapon unlock system like the original?

In the original I got every achievement except Get a Life (Get A+ on every level except Highball and Exposed.). What strategies are there beyond using the Carl mask and how do you ace Fun and Games?

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Mar 7, 2015

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I get success typing "Hotline Miami [level name] A+" into a page on the internet and clicking on a video that shows up and aping it.

Then getting frustrated with how much better they are than I am and spend an hour perfecting the level using Jones into muscle memory.

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

We're glad you could play SQIV. As usual, you've been a real pantload.

Ybrik posted:

tracklist

Thanks so much for documenting this! Welp I know what I'm gonna do on soundcloud for the next couple hours...

Serperoth posted:

List:

The Terminator (1984)

/end

Mental Midget fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Mar 7, 2015

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

We're glad you could play SQIV. As usual, you've been a real pantload.
Double post

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

Honestly this trailer doesn't really hit the vibe the movie puts out. This, on the other hand:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gfMLu9EPWY

:q:

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Capn Beeb posted:

Honestly this trailer doesn't really hit the vibe the movie puts out. This, on the other hand:

I've had this sitting on my "to watch" list for like a month and haven't bothered with it because I thought it'd be a boring PTSD movie, but welp apparently I was wrong.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

Pharmaskittle posted:

I've had this sitting on my "to watch" list for like a month and haven't bothered with it because I thought it'd be a boring PTSD movie, but welp apparently I was wrong.

I envy you for getting to watch the Guest for the first time. Enjoy! :patriot:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Inspector Gesicht posted:

how many characters or masks are playable since the Fans themselves seem kind of limited,

In the original I got every achievement except Get a Life (Get A+ on every level except Highball and Exposed.). What strategies are there beyond using the Carl mask and how do you ace Fun and Games?

Other then the fans a Gangster, a Detective and a Reporter also seem to be playable.

The Reporter looks to be interesting because he apparently takes people down non lethally and refuses to kill (He removes ammo from guns he picks up or example). Though you can mess it up and kill someone by mistake however if that happens in exchanging for leaving yourself open you can try to resuscitate the person you killed by mistake. However if you kill two people by mistake and don't revive them he goes into full lethal mode and starts using guns and stuff. However doing it nonlethal gets a much better score and I am guessing it will work out better for him in the story as well.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

Pharmaskittle posted:

Hell yes go shove that jam in your eyes right now :munch:

Edit:

All the crossover talk with this and Payday 2 got me confused. I'm a dumb idiot :downs:

Beeb fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Mar 7, 2015

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

repiv posted:

The original buggy version of HLM1 was developed in-house by Dennaton on Game Maker, and the later more robust version was rebuilt by Abstraction Games on Sonys PhyreEngine. HLM2 is built on the later so it should be okay, maybe :sweatdrop:

HLM1 was also literally the first game Dennis Wedin had ever made, and it was Cactus' first commerical one. Cactus said that nobody ever bothers giving feedback for bugs for his smaller free games so having that be a big thing for HLM was a new experience.

InsidiousMuppet posted:

Backers of the Jacket figure on kickstarter are supposed to be getting their codes sometime today via email. I just want my vinyl and toy :(

For some reason the 70 dollar tier got a code but not the $80 one.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Not really many yet.

More than the first game.

The Fans, Pig Butcher, Jake (Lethal Throw, """Invincible""", or Random Perk masks), The Soldier (Part of a 4 man squad), The Son (Mafia dude) The Henchman (same, stats with custom silenced pistol), The Detective (Start with shotgun in car + survive 2 bullets), The Writer (Starts off nonlethal; Unloads guns on pickup. Ground kill/lethal weapons to go berserk and normal, exit that by attempting to revive dudes) and Richter. It's possible there's more characters then that, or maybe some got removed, but that is extremely likely the full cast.

They have not said anything one way or the other.

Leon makes A+ really easy on Jacket's levels (extends combo window by like 2-3x).

I made an in-depth writeup for Fun and Games earlier in this thread you can check out too.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Other then the fans a Gangster, a Detective and a Reporter also seem to be playable.

The Reporter looks to be interesting because he apparently takes people down non lethally and refuses to kill (He removes ammo from guns he picks up or example). Though you can mess it up and kill someone by mistake however if that happens in exchanging for leaving yourself open you can try to resuscitate the person you killed by mistake. However if you kill two people by mistake and don't revive them he goes into full lethal mode and starts using guns and stuff. However doing it nonlethal gets a much better score and I am guessing it will work out better for him in the story as well.

Other than the fans I'm interested in the writer. I wonder if there'll be any story changes for lethal/non-lethal?

In First Trial, his leaked level, he accidently kills a mobster. I bet that he'll get arrested for that later.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Mar 7, 2015

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

On the "looking at stuff that's like Hotline Miami" front for getting hyped, I recommend reading the comic Moon Knight #5 (2014). Moon Knight himself is basically if Jacket was Batman and the issue is just him going through a five-story building to gently caress up everyone in his way and save a kidnapped girl. Just one big action sequence of a crazy guy in a mask taking people apart piece by piece, usually with a bloody baseball bat.

Even this bit at the end of the first issue, where he comes home from one of his little adventures, makes me think of the questions scenes from the game.

For context, those two guys are his multiple personalities and the bird-headed dude is either a vengeance-obsessed god that gives him his power or a figment of his imagination that gives him an excuse to horribly maim people. It's never truly clear.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Drive, Hobo With a Shotgun, Machete, most Quentin Tarantino movies, Beyond the Black Rainbow if it's about the soundtrack and psychadelic quality I dunno man

It really depends on what part of Hotline Miami you liked, and it's not like "retro action movies with lots of gore" or "psychedelic movies with retro soundtracks" are impossible to find in the world

All the movies I suggested earlier I consider thematically appropriate because, in addition to being violent and stylized with neon/synth music/animal masks, they're all genre movies that intentionally gently caress with the conventions and expectations of the genre much like how Hotline Miami used videogame conventions to tell its story and set its mood.

You're Next is a home invasion/slasher movie where the killers are all human and fallible while a member of the family they're trying to kill is hyper-competent to the point where halfway through the movie the killers and victim have effectively switched place.

Blue Ruin is a revenge movie about a guy killing the people who murdered his family but instead of being a smirking Charles Bronson delivering justice with one-liners he's a fat, bearded awkward Goon and all the killing is ugly and unglamorous and ultimately meaningless.

Beyond The Black Rainbow is a trippy 70s-style psychedelic sci-fi story that ends with the characters leaving their crazy genre laboratory and entering the real world of the 80s, where a mad scientist who has achieved enlightenment and possesses ultimate cosmic power can do little more than startle a pair of heshers and then die from tripping over a rock.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

The Plague is a Clive Barker work? Suddenly very interested!

Capn Beeb posted:

It certainly fits the thread more, but it feels like it gives too much of the plot away. I prefer the music in the other trailer as well (Johnossi - Mavericks, if you're interested).

You're Next also turns into a very black comedy after a certain point. Almost like a hyper-violent Loony Toons cartoon. And if you know/recognise who Ti West is, part of the dinner scene becomes even funnier.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

I haven't watched a lot of the other movies and I wasn't super taken with Hobo With a Shotgun (intentionally campy stuff doesn't land well with me, although I understand the appeal), but You're Next was really good.

Just to mention again in case someone missed it, Hotline Miami was straight up very influenced by the movie Drive, so it's the best starting point.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Can we get all these cinema recommendations added to the OP as a form of extra credit? All in one spot = nice.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Ok just watched The Guest. It started out like Drillbit Taylor and only turned into a really insane HLM-like in the last twenty minutes. Good movie.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I feel like that re-edited trailer for The Guest spoils a lot of the good parts of the movie. Part of the appeal is that you're expecting a sad sack PTSD movie and get something different, being upfront about it makes it lose some charm.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Can we get all these cinema recommendations added to the OP as a form of extra credit? All in one spot = nice.

What was there? The Guest, Hobo With A Shotgun, Drive?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Drive is just a good movie in general, because the main character is a creepy motherfucker and then it turns out he's insanely good at murder.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Anatharon posted:

What was there? The Guest, Hobo With A Shotgun, Drive?

The ones a few posts above with the bolded names and spoilers as well. I think those and your listed ones are the majority but a few others have been listed that I can't find in skimming-not-reading the last two pages. drat YOU COMPREHENSION!

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Only God Forgives should be watched directly after Drive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9ziAWl9AEA
Be warned though: it's slow, strange and there's a good chance you'll only like the (excellent) soundtrack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aS0T1TVKsbs

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

I saw The Guest because of this thread and it was pretty good, so :cheers:

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Improbable Lobster posted:

Only God Forgives should be watched directly after Drive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9ziAWl9AEA
Be warned though: it's slow, strange and there's a good chance you'll only like the (excellent) soundtrack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aS0T1TVKsbs

That trailer makes it look mega badass, so am I being misled or

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

I really need to watch The Guest. I have it on Dvd in my place but I never got around to it despite all my friends telling me it's right up my alley.

Finally got to put in my preorder yesterday. I'm so ready

• Locked thread