Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
A guy I work with showed me this Dell tool for updating drivers and its super nice actually (for me at least). Not sure if it's well known or not but I had never heard of anything except DSD before this!

http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/enterprise-client/w/wiki/7534.dell-command-update

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

GoatShaver posted:

I could use some general advice here.

Got approached by a headhunter regarding a director position, which is awesome, but almost makes me nervous as poo poo because i'm not really sure how prepared i'd be for the job. The technical side of things I think i'd handle just fine, but its the actual budgeting/forecasting/business side of things that I feel like i'm lacking. I'm sure I could learn on the fly, but also not sure how great of an idea that is. Any suggestions on books/info I can read up on and get a better grasp on things? For the first time in a long time i'm a bit overly nervous, but love the idea of the challenge. Gut tells me to just go for it.

I've been a manager for a number of years, and although I've been managing people I was not in the "manage budget" space. I went through 3-4 managers and directors where I asked to learn budgeting / forecasting / purchasing and none of them ever did teach me. Maybe it was job security for them, who knows but it was frustrating. Once I moved to corporate I finally found some good managers who got me involved in that area of the job and I finally feel like I'm prepping for the next level.

That said you should take some finance classes. I'm sure you could find something online or interactive that could teach you about basic business finance. When you get to the new position ask how they handle it there to fill in gaps or procedures.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Drunk Orc posted:

A guy I work with showed me this Dell tool for updating drivers and its super nice actually (for me at least). Not sure if it's well known or not but I had never heard of anything except DSD before this!

http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/enterprise-client/w/wiki/7534.dell-command-update

I use that but it seems like... Half of the updates fail.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

Drunk Orc posted:

Dell's Command suite is pretty hit or miss in my experience. When they work they are amazing tools if you're a Dell shop. When they don't work it's the most infuriating thing to work with (BIOS configuration :argh:)

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Sacred Cow posted:

Dell's Command suite is pretty hit or miss in my experience. When they work they are amazing tools if you're a Dell shop. When they don't work it's the most infuriating thing to work with (BIOS configuration :argh:)

I thought the Dell bios standardizer thing was really slick.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

myron cope posted:

I use that but it seems like... Half of the updates fail.

That's what my experience with Dell System Detect has been but this tool seems to work better. The school I work at mainly runs Optiplex series desktops, maybe it favors them for some reason.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Does any vendor have a BIOS/UEFI configuration tool that can be deployed onto clients and controlled via Group Policy Extensions? Because that would be :coal:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Sacred Cow posted:

I'm dealing with the Server Update Utility right now and :wtc:

It's a 10GB ISO that doesn't actually install, just runs right out of the image. It's slow as gently caress and the icon for "An update is in progress" is a yellow WARNING! triangle.

Why.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

Sickening posted:

I thought the Dell bios standardizer thing was really slick.

I used it to deploy a package that would turn on and activate TPM on all our existing laptops. I could get it to turn it on but never activate. There were no error logs to check and Dell's support gave us a very solid "I dunno". If it was part of a Task Sequence for a new machine it worked fine but our requirement was for existing systems.

Edit: If you're using SCCM in a Dell shop the Command | Integration program is amazing. The driver management tool alone makes it worth it.

Sacred Cow fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Mar 6, 2015

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
For a while Dell had this awesome linux repository you could add that would detect all your hardware and you could do firmware updates via yum on Redhat based systems. Then they just stopped updating it. I don't know if they ever brought it back, but it was pretty sweet. You just reboot and the next time your system comes up it has the updates applied.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I have to say that Dell's lifecycle management controller is pretty magical.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

bull3964 posted:

I have to say that Dell's lifecycle management controller is pretty magical.

Speaking of, does anybody know exactly how the NIC config works with the Lifecycle controller? I set up a server the other day and had issues with it until we set it to just use DHCP. Does it create subinterface on the selected NIC?

This just for my own edification.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Inspector_666 posted:

Speaking of, does anybody know exactly how the NIC config works with the Lifecycle controller? I set up a server the other day and had issues with it until we set it to just use DHCP. Does it create subinterface on the selected NIC?

This just for my own edification.

Not so much a subinterface, think of it as dual booting into another OS where the Lifecycle controller is the other OS. So, you could set the IP address for the lifecycle controller to be the same as your OS if you want. It isn't active when you aren't in the lifecycle controller.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

bull3964 posted:

Not so much a subinterface, think of it as dual booting into another OS where the Lifecycle controller is the other OS. So, you could set the IP address for the lifecycle controller to be the same as your OS if you want. It isn't active when you aren't in the lifecycle controller.

Weird, when I assigned the Lifecycle Controller the same IP as the OS, it couldn't communicate with the Dell FTP server, and as soon as we just set it to DHCP it worked fine.

I guess it doesn't matter since we'll almost never be pulling a lease with it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Inspector_666 posted:

Weird, when I assigned the Lifecycle Controller the same IP as the OS, it couldn't communicate with the Dell FTP server, and as soon as we just set it to DHCP it worked fine.

I guess it doesn't matter since we'll almost never be pulling a lease with it.

Yeah, that is odd. I actually just setup an R630 last week and I statically assigned the IP for the lifecycle controller and it didn't have any issue. I ended up using the same IP for the OS after I set it up.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
The people talking about eating at their desk remind me of this:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/man-brings-lunch-from-home-to-cut-down-on-small-jo,37912/

Our building lease is up this year and the corporate office wants to either move my server room to the other side of the building or move us to a new location. On one hand, valuable experience. On the other hand, Costco Hot Dog server is starting to look like a good career choice.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
My company is running some quotes for security and we were quoted $20k to install 7 security cameras and an on-premises recording device which turns out to be two 2gb spinner hard drives in a Raid-0 config with a 1-year warranty. I have no confidence this thing is going to save us when we need it.

I'm seeing 7 dropcams each with a month of cloud recording is $1000 a year total and I figure I'll recommend something along those lines instead. Are there any cloud services similar to Dropcam that anyone here can vouch for, or otherwise low-maintenance and affordable on-premesis solutions?

Glass of Milk posted:

Our building lease is up this year and the corporate office wants to either move my server room to the other side of the building or move us to a new location. On one hand, valuable experience. On the other hand, Costco Hot Dog server is starting to look like a good career choice.

Hey, Costco Hot Dog Server gets $15/hr for no stress. It's cash only too, you'll never have people whipping out their Level Up apps.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Mar 6, 2015

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
uTorrent's latest update installs a cryptocurrency miner :allears:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

It will make some money for whoever at least long term. It will mean the majority will jump ship but there should be a big chunk of people that will either never read about it or never care.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Zero VGS posted:

My company is running some quotes for security and we were quoted $20k to install 7 security cameras and an on-premises recording device which turns out to be two 2gb spinner hard drives in a Raid-0 config with a 1-year warranty. I have no confidence this thing is going to save us when we need it.

I'm seeing 7 dropcams each with a month of cloud recording is $1000 a year total and I figure I'll recommend something along those lines instead. Are there any cloud services similar to Dropcam that anyone here can vouch for, or otherwise low-maintenance and affordable on-premesis solutions?

One of the last projects I started the ball rolling on for my previous employer was rolling upgrades of the old analogue CCTV system to a new IP system. I was by far the most impressed with Avigilon's offering in terms of the camera hardware and integration with the software, and the ease of use of the system (the people pulling CCTV footage and burning DVDs/exporting encrypted files to flash drives aren't technical at all). All the feedback I've had is that the system is entirely awesome. It's not cheap, but it's costing less each year than maintaining the analogue stuff was.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Sickening posted:

It will make some money for whoever at least long term. It will mean the majority will jump ship but there should be a big chunk of people that will either never read about it or never care.

I remember how uTorrent started out as the "good" torrent client. Amazing what a complete piece of poo poo it's been turned into since it was bought out. I gave it a shot about a year ago and it had become borderline malware, full of ads and other garbage. Now it's literally malware.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Docjowles posted:

I remember how uTorrent started out as the "good" torrent client. Amazing what a complete piece of poo poo it's been turned into since it was bought out. I gave it a shot about a year ago and it had become borderline malware, full of ads and other garbage. Now it's literally malware.

I think every torrent client has gone this way right? I can't remember what I used before utorrent but whatever it was turned into a big pile of poo poo as well.

Speaking of torrent clients. Is the FCC ruling now in full effect? I am interested in how the lawsuits or fcc reporting works for all the current packet shaping and such that has to still be going on.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Sickening posted:

I think every torrent client has gone this way right? I can't remember what I used before utorrent but whatever it was turned into a big pile of poo poo as well.

Speaking of torrent clients. Is the FCC ruling now in full effect? I am interested in how the lawsuits or fcc reporting works for all the current packet shaping and such that has to still be going on.
I believe they're still allowed to QoS different types of traffic, they're just not allowed to give preferential treatment to any particular endpoints or charge for improved performance of data transmissions in any given tier.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Docjowles posted:

It got "bought out" about a year after its release, in between 1.5 and 1.6's release

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Sickening posted:

I used Azureus, and then uTorrent. Using qBittorrent now. We'll see how long it takes to turn to poo poo.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Deluge is currently not poo poo. I imagine people jump to that after this.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

I used Azureus, and then uTorrent. Using qBittorrent now. We'll see how long it takes to turn to poo poo.

I still have to use uTorrent because multiple times at different locations and different computers, qBittorrent will completely refuse to find any seeds when uTorrent on the same exact PC will. This is always with firewall completely disabled and I even have put myself on a DMZ to test.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Zero VGS posted:

Hey, Costco Hot Dog Server gets $15/hr for no stress. It's cash only too, you'll never have people whipping out their Level Up apps.

Not any more. They have CC machines at the Hot Dog window now (at least in Carol Stream IL). Of course it still only takes AmEx or Debit like the regular check out.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

flosofl posted:

Not any more. They have CC machines at the Hot Dog window now (at least in Carol Stream IL). Of course it still only takes AmEx or Debit like the regular check out.

Hmm I was grabbin' a $1.50 dog and coko combo in Boston a week ago and still cash only here. Last year I bought a dozen of those giant Costco pizzas and took them to Pax East and hawked them for hundred bucks profit.

mewse
May 2, 2006

SaltLick posted:

Deluge is currently not poo poo. I imagine people jump to that after this.

Deluge does seem like the best of the worst to me, but I use the labelling ability in old utorrent quite a bit so I've stuck to it on my main computer.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Zero VGS posted:

Hmm I was grabbin' a $1.50 dog and coko combo in Boston a week ago and still cash only here. Last year I bought a dozen of those giant Costco pizzas and took them to Pax East and hawked them for hundred bucks profit.

Well, to be honest it's brand-spanking new. It was cash only until about 3 weeks ago. That's when the new pay terminals appeared.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

flosofl posted:

Well, to be honest it's brand-spanking new. It was cash only until about 3 weeks ago. That's when the new pay terminals appeared.

I guess they're compensating for losing that American Express exclusive they had going for decades.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

Don't use cloud recording unless you want either poo poo video quality or to dedicate 20mbps+ upload 24/7.

$20k isn't outrageous for 7 cameras if they're A: nice cameras and B: installed properly. That NVR you described doesn't give me the warm and fuzzies, though.

Check out my physical security thread in A/T and if you're in Upstate NY or Northern PA, feel free to shoot me a PM as well.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Zero VGS posted:

I guess they're compensating for losing that American Express exclusive they had going for decades.

Costco is the one who nullified the exclusivity, they're switching to Visa in April.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
Dress chat, lots of the sales people in our company have visible tattoos

We sell to accountants.

Standards of dress change drastically depending on location so making blanket statements is going to get a lot of people to disagree with you on an international web forum :shrug:

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I'm freeeeee! Turned in my resignation and start at the new job Monday. Pay bump, get to build two data centers, and lead the infrastructure team. I can't wait! Is it still YOTJ?

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

the spyder posted:

I'm freeeeee! Turned in my resignation and start at the new job Monday. Pay bump, get to build two data centers, and lead the infrastructure team. I can't wait! Is it still YOTJ?

Congrats man, and yes. Every year that one or more goons gets out of a lovely job by way of getting a new job is :yotj:.

Cavepimp
Nov 10, 2006
I had a serious sit down with our HR lady (small company) about being burned out today. It was good. They all ended up terrified of me leaving and it looks like some things might change.

I'm going to leave anyway, but at least I bought a little bit more (less insane) time.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

mewse posted:

Deluge does seem like the best of the worst to me, but I use the labelling ability in old utorrent quite a bit so I've stuck to it on my main computer.

Deluge and transmission are vibrant open source projects at least (qbittorrent is also open, but no idea who runs the project), so they should stay not poo poo forever. Or just stop using torrents and use Usenet :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

Cavepimp posted:

I had a serious sit down with our HR lady (small company) about being burned out today. It was good. They all ended up terrified of me leaving and it looks like some things might change.

I'm going to leave anyway, but at least I bought a little bit more (less insane) time.

Related -- had my annual review today and my areas for improvement included "work/life balance" and "managing customer expectations". So it's on paper that I need to tell everyone else to calm down and work less OT. :crossarms: