Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones
Regrowth sounds just different enough from the same-old, same-old to be worth giving a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Regrowth question: I'm just reaching the unlock for the ore seeds (because I took so long breeding up a master seed I could use to empower all my new crops so now everything is fast as hell and yields 4 items per harvest).
Trying to get copper seeds. NEI says it takes 4 copper essence to make the copper seeds, the quest before it give you 1 copper essence. So am I missing a step, or do I just have to repeat the quest 3 additional times? The book's been written very helpfully so far so I assumed that if this was the intent it would have at least said "do this multiple times", and giving you only 1 essence as a reward instead of 4 seems intentional too. The only reason I even ask if because the quest takes 32 orange mystic flowers, which is going to take a while.

Maiden
Mar 18, 2008

That seems to be the intent, but you also seem to be able to breed agricraft versions of the mystic flowers, so I'm pretty sure that's the idea, but nowhere does it tell you that...

TyreForHyre
Dec 22, 2011

Ask me about capital Ds and how disintegration is totally rad.

Vib Rib posted:

Regrowth question: I'm just reaching the unlock for the ore seeds (because I took so long breeding up a master seed I could use to empower all my new crops so now everything is fast as hell and yields 4 items per harvest).
Trying to get copper seeds. NEI says it takes 4 copper essence to make the copper seeds, the quest before it give you 1 copper essence. So am I missing a step, or do I just have to repeat the quest 3 additional times? The book's been written very helpfully so far so I assumed that if this was the intent it would have at least said "do this multiple times", and giving you only 1 essence as a reward instead of 4 seems intentional too. The only reason I even ask if because the quest takes 32 orange mystic flowers, which is going to take a while.
Yup, it's a repeatable quest that just takes a bit of time to grind out. Later seeds start to only require one of the essence in question, however copper is just one of those big hurdles ya gotta climb over. Keep in mind that the mystic flower petals can actually be bred in agricraft, so you aren't tossing loads of floral fertilizer at the ground in hopes of getting the colors you need. Just look for "Mystical Orange Flower Seeds" and you'll find the mutation chain that comes from the base flower seeds.

^^^^^ Yeah what they said.

Edit: Just a note for everyone currently playing Regrowth, there looks like there will be an update to 7.0 -perhaps- sometime this weekend. The rumblings of the changelog from what I've gathered will be the quest chain for Thaumcraft being introduced, various little updates to recipes (such as being able to throw various essences straight into a smeltery for various products, no more crappy buckets needed for high end lava production), and I believe the addition of easily one of my favorite early to mid game mods which is Super Crafting Frame. Means you can slap a special frame on any surface or any block with an inventory and give it a recipe and when you right click it'll attempt to pull things from your inventory and/or the chest to make that product a reality without a gui.

I also don't know if this will be included in this update, but I believe that Magical Crops are getting a nerf in that you won't be able to grow them on regular dirt any longer. You are gonna have to use Garden Core's Garden Soil from then on out, so make a couple of Compost Bins -now-, shove some extra carrots or potatoes or whatever in em, and future proof your farms. You can't till the soil or use it in this update with crops, but it'll be good to have for when the update hits.

TyreForHyre fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Mar 7, 2015

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Maiden posted:

That seems to be the intent, but you also seem to be able to breed agricraft versions of the mystic flowers, so I'm pretty sure that's the idea, but nowhere does it tell you that...
Thanks for the tip, both you and TyreForHyre. I'm getting into advanced crossbreeding now, which is actually really easy because I've got my perfect seeds in all categories so everything I breed off of them is already perfect. High yield crops everywhere! Didn't know about the mystic petals I could get (not whole flowers, but no big deal), and am now trying to max out and get all possible seeds, except the crappy MagicCrops berries/veggies which seem pointless.

That said, here's a tip for anyone doing Regrowth (or just Agricraft): it's usually a good idea to breed up at least two of every new seed type you get. This will make it easy to produce more, by putting a crosscrop in between two fully grown versions. Getting the second seed can be tricky, especially with high tier seeds are less likely to mutate, so cross pollinating seed A with seed B will yield seed C only about 10% of the time, if that, and otherwise just fuel you with more seeds you have already.
So here's a fun way to get around it: Cross pollinate over soil types.

You can set up a situation like this, using maxed out mushrooms/sugar cane/cactus/whatever. As soon as you have your 1 new seed from the plant you want to duplicate, put it the left empty slot and get it fully grown. Then, it will try to cross pollinate with the other plants. Only the plant you're trying to duplicate will spread to the crosscrop, because the others can't grow on plain soil. It might take a while, but it works every time and you won't need to keep checking and restocking it with new crosscrops. As soon as something spreads there, it'll be what you want.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
in the past 2 weeks ive been trying out all 3 launchers. AT is painfully slow and I wont be using it anymore. FTB isnt terrible, but I don't like the hypocrites who run it. Im currently using technic as it was easiest to set up a mod pack for. It's also super easy to get it working for all my friends, and I just think it looks the best.

TyreForHyre
Dec 22, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

Thanks for the tip, both you and TyreForHyre. I'm getting into advanced crossbreeding now, which is actually really easy because I've got my perfect seeds in all categories so everything I breed off of them is already perfect. High yield crops everywhere! Didn't know about the mystic petals I could get (not whole flowers, but no big deal), and am now trying to max out and get all possible seeds, except the crappy MagicCrops berries/veggies which seem pointless.

That said, here's a tip for anyone doing Regrowth (or just Agricraft): it's usually a good idea to breed up at least two of every new seed type you get. This will make it easy to produce more, by putting a crosscrop in between two fully grown versions. Getting the second seed can be tricky, especially with high tier seeds are less likely to mutate, so cross pollinating seed A with seed B will yield seed C only about 10% of the time, if that, and otherwise just fuel you with more seeds you have already.
So here's a fun way to get around it: Cross pollinate over soil types.

You can set up a situation like this, using maxed out mushrooms/sugar cane/cactus/whatever. As soon as you have your 1 new seed from the plant you want to duplicate, put it the left empty slot and get it fully grown. Then, it will try to cross pollinate with the other plants. Only the plant you're trying to duplicate will spread to the crosscrop, because the others can't grow on plain soil. It might take a while, but it works every time and you won't need to keep checking and restocking it with new crosscrops. As soon as something spreads there, it'll be what you want.

Keep in mind that while the method you're using, while quite effective (in version 1.2.3, which is the current one in Regrowth) is changed in the 1.30 version of Agricraft. There is a config in the latest version to make inheriting stats varying levels of difficulty, here's the snip from the config:

Configuration.cfg posted:

# Farming difficulty: 1 = Crops can inherit stats from any crop.
2 = Crops only inherit stats from parent and identical crops.
3 = Same as 2, but any other nearby crop will affect stats negatively. [range: 1 ~ 3, default: 3]
I:"Farming difficulty"=3

I believe that once again the .7.0 version of Regrowth will be using the default option of 3, meaning that using that method will actually cause crop to become weaker rather than boost stats if you are trying to trick out crops with non identical types. You can always change it back if ya feel you need to though, so no biggie.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK
Ok, fine, since nobody else can be arsed to do it, I did it myself. (Yes I downloaded FTB Launcher. I still won't play packs through it.)

30.5 Days posted:

Call it "Feed the Butt Regeneration" and I will give 0 fucks.

And this is what it's called. It's not visible in search, because it's just hosted on my Dropbox, (though even at its current size it would take over 200 downloads in a day to hit the limit) but here's the API link:
http://api.technicpack.net/modpack/feed-the-butt-regeneration

There are no changes to the content, only what needed to be changed to make it work on Technic instead of FTB.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
So, I'm playing Regrowth... what are those two slots at the bottom in NEI when listing plant mutations?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

McFrugal posted:

So, I'm playing Regrowth... what are those two slots at the bottom in NEI when listing plant mutations?
Placeholders, I think.

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
I saw that Regrowth was listed as an alpha; Is it incomplete or buggy or something? I like the concept, but if it needs work I'm gonna wait.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

m2pt5 posted:

Ok, fine, since nobody else can be arsed to do it, I did it myself. (Yes I downloaded FTB Launcher. I still won't play packs through it.)

And this is what it's called. It's not visible in search, because it's just hosted on my Dropbox, (though even at its current size it would take over 200 downloads in a day to hit the limit) but here's the API link:
http://api.technicpack.net/modpack/feed-the-butt-regeneration

There are no changes to the content, only what needed to be changed to make it work on Technic instead of FTB.

Thank you, but is there any chance you could name it something that is not retarded

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Blame diplomacy to the worthless shits that make up FTB.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Which mod adds a tab to ores to indicate at what layers it spawns? Also, what's a mod in 1.7.10 that can pregenerate terrain? I saw something about a Bukkit plugin. I don't really understand how that contrasts with Forge, given how all you server people talk. Is that something I can probably just use without installing a ton of junk?

I'm having an odd problem with this hacked together client I'm using. In ATLauncher, I downloaded vanilla 1.7.10 and I plow it over with my mods, config, bin, jarmod, and libraries folders. There's a 1:3 chance or so that ATLauncher will ask me if I want to update the pack. I decline. It then starts up real fast and I find out it's ignoring all my mods. What the hell is it doing?

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
That sounds like forge isn't loading at all. The same thing will happen in technic if you dont rename the forge jar place it in the bin folder.

TyreForHyre
Dec 22, 2011

Elswyyr posted:

I saw that Regrowth was listed as an alpha; Is it incomplete or buggy or something? I like the concept, but if it needs work I'm gonna wait.
It's a work in progress yeah, so it's technically incomplete. I wouldn't say buggy because for the most part if there is a mod you want to use for something, or a questline that is there that you want to complete... Well you can do it, and there is quite a bit to do.

But yeah it's a work in progress, calling it an alpha though doesn't seem right though, and I'd say it's more of a beta situation.

Regrowth Modpack Dude posted:

The currently released version has ~190(quests). My development instance for 0.7 is currently sitting at around 290.
I mean that seems hefty to me, I don't know.

TyreForHyre fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Mar 7, 2015

weak wrists big dick
Dec 18, 2012

good job. you are getting legitametly upset because I won't confrom to your secret internet cliques gross social standards. Sorry I don't like anime. Sorry I don't like being gross on the internet. Sorry that you are getting caremad.

your stupid shit internet argument is also only half true once I get probated, so checkmate anyways but nice try.

]

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Which mod adds a tab to ores to indicate at what layers it spawns?

The NEI plugin NotEnoughResources.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

For some reason if I open the Not Enough Resources tab for an item that lists where the item can drop, about a third of the time Minecraft's frame-rate drops to almost nothing, and, even though I can see the program updating every thirty seconds or whatever, I can't use a hot-key or click to close the NEI window/my inventory, so I just have to kill the program. Anyone have any ideas what might be causing it? I tried google but I couldn't find anyone complaining of anything similar.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Vib Rib posted:

Placeholders, I think.

Well the one on the right sometimes has something in it. For instance, the mutation to get Wormwood has some wispy cotton down there. I'm thinking it might be a byproduct but I have no idea how that would work. I guess I'll just experiment with it to find out.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
So, big mod question:

After both Blightfall and Regrowth I'm feeling inspired to make my own mod pack progression thing, so I threw together a list of major, popular mods to include for utility, ability, resource generation, and spectacle. Thaumcraft 4 was a big contender on my list, especially with newer stuff like Thaumic Energistics making alchemy more manageable, and the node-stabilizing concepts.
But the more I play with it, the more I realize I don't care about basically any of the payoffs in Thaumcraft.
I mean, a lot of my research is geared towards handling nodes and dealing with taint, problems that only exist because Thaumcraft introduced them in the first place. Research and alchemy are more tolerable now, but that doesn't make them fun. And I'm in fairly late-game Blightfall and the only real Thaumic artifact I've put to any use is the de-blighting wand focus. Golems are mostly useful for alchemy, since the farming ones don't do farming as well as most other mods. Nothing else really feels that important/necessary/useful, especially compared to other mods. I'm considering just scrapping it from the pack.
Those who are really into Thaumcraft: what do you use it for?

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Silly overblown "multiblock" machines, CV power grids, wands, wand foci, armour and how great Warp is.

For example, heres a collection of my latest antics:

http://imgur.com/a/TdjKJ

You can see my gigantic lava-creating (thanks automagy!) infernal reactor that i used for awhile to power my botania thermalillies.

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Mar 8, 2015

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I can't seem to get the mutation to wormwood to work. I'm thinking it requires wispy cotton to be nearby... which would mean you have to do the crossbreeding in the spirit realm. That's going to be annoying.

Vib Rib posted:

So, big mod question:

After both Blightfall and Regrowth I'm feeling inspired to make my own mod pack progression thing, so I threw together a list of major, popular mods to include for utility, ability, resource generation, and spectacle. Thaumcraft 4 was a big contender on my list, especially with newer stuff like Thaumic Energistics making alchemy more manageable, and the node-stabilizing concepts.
But the more I play with it, the more I realize I don't care about basically any of the payoffs in Thaumcraft.
I mean, a lot of my research is geared towards handling nodes and dealing with taint, problems that only exist because Thaumcraft introduced them in the first place. Research and alchemy are more tolerable now, but that doesn't make them fun. And I'm in fairly late-game Blightfall and the only real Thaumic artifact I've put to any use is the de-blighting wand focus. Golems are mostly useful for alchemy, since the farming ones don't do farming as well as most other mods. Nothing else really feels that important/necessary/useful, especially compared to other mods. I'm considering just scrapping it from the pack.
Those who are really into Thaumcraft: what do you use it for?

The boots are awesome. The golems are free autofarming. The infernal furnace is free smelting (fast free smelting with CV). Alchemical duplication can be handy. Infusion enchanting is good too. The harness is a passable flight enabling item. Enchanted fortress armor is quite good. Some of the foci are useful, like equal exchange and shock. I haven't gone to the Outer Lands yet, I'm not sure if the loot there is good...

Thyrork posted:

Silly overblown "multiblock" machines, CV power grids, wands, wand foci, armour and how great Warp is.

For example, heres a collection of my latest antics:

http://imgur.com/a/TdjKJ

You can see my gigantic lava-creating (thanks automagy!) infernal reactor that i used for awhile to power my botania thermalillies.

Good god, this is awesome! Why are you using filtered pipes though? Do those jars sometimes run out of essentia? Or do you swap them out sometimes and don't want to label the jars for some reason?

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
Anyone doing Regrowth having trouble getting your first sapling? I can't use mutandis on any of the grass on the surface.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

McFrugal posted:

The boots are awesome. The golems are free autofarming. The infernal furnace is free smelting (fast free smelting with CV). Alchemical duplication can be handy. Infusion enchanting is good too. The harness is a passable flight enabling item. Enchanted fortress armor is quite good. Some of the foci are useful, like equal exchange and shock. I haven't gone to the Outer Lands yet, I'm not sure if the loot there is good...
Hrm. Well, that's good to know, because almost everything you mentioned I either have a replacement for already or wouldn't want in the progression pack to begin with. So I think I'm going to go without.
I'm also going way out on a limb here, but I think I'm going to skip Tinker's Construct for this pack, too. It's too useful. Normally that wouldn't matter, but in a pack about varied equipment and trying out other mods adding TC just makes people ignore everything else.

Speaking of mods, I like Regrowth but they've really thrown in a lot of crappy mods too. Forestry and Buildcraft? I know these were big names once upon a time but everything about them is so awkward, dated, and clunky I wonder how people put up with them in the first place -- and it boggles my mind that they're still being put in like 90% of all big packs. They're awful and I can't wait for them to finally be forgotten.
Mariculture feels like an absolute mess, too. I didn't give it much attention in Agrarian Skies but playing it more now I can safely say there's nothing about it I like. It tries to do too much, spreading itself from fish to ingot smelting, and none of it is intuitive or convenient. It's a hassle at best and an absolute clusterfuck at worst.
I guess in the end, having a lot of content is enough to get your mod in most packs. Even a pack like Regrowth which is otherwise really tight and fun.

axelsoar posted:

Anyone doing Regrowth having trouble getting your first sapling? I can't use mutandis on any of the grass on the surface.
I think you place dirt, use a pasture seed on it for grass, then bonemeal the grass for grass/plants. Then you use mutandis on that grass.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Vib Rib posted:

I think you place dirt, use a pasture seed on it for grass, then bonemeal the grass for grass/plants. Then you use mutandis on that grass.

This is what I did, and I didn't even realize it was what you were supposed to do.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

McFrugal posted:

Good god, this is awesome! Why are you using filtered pipes though? Do those jars sometimes run out of essentia? Or do you swap them out sometimes and don't want to label the jars for some reason?

Filtered pipes are for making sure the essentia flows the way i want it too. :) I would have taken more detailed pictures, but i tore it down today because that save is getting terribly laggy.

Broand
Oct 13, 2011
I learned how to make a decorative world map using Bibliocraft in Regrowth. I love these survival modpacks, they teach you mods so well.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
re: thaumcraft

i haven't played tech mods (most of them seem too direct really) but most mods seem content to let arrows be your only viable ranged weapon so I like being able to shoot lightning instead.

Zephyr sword is also a permanent part of my arsenal. Again modmakers don't put much thought into what kinds of situations a player actually gets into and gives them ways out, something that just hits multiple mobs at close range is pretty nice.

I have not gotten to play with it but thaumic horizons seems to provide some very unique possibilities of action, namely doing horrible things to mobs.

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe
Let me preface this, I am playing OMP-i so you know what mods I'm working with.

So have have Curatives Vats (Thaumic Horizons) set up with Corpse Effigies as a respawn center rather than using beds. It takes 8 Sano and 8 Victus to make it a Revived Corpse Effigy to use as a resurrection point. My issue is that the way I've have it set up is that the vats are taking ALL of the Victus and Sano in my AE network and putting it into the vats, wasting 100s of units of Essentia.

I am trying to find a way to automatically limit the amount of both Essential to enter each vat so that I still have a surplus of said Essentia left in the AE system for later use.

Any suggestions would be great.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I gave Regrowth a brief look last night, and call me silly but I was instantly put off by the invisible dead wood in my inventory. Did anyone else see that?

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

I gave Regrowth a brief look last night, and call me silly but I was instantly put off by the invisible dead wood in my inventory. Did anyone else see that?

It's working fine for me and seemingly everyone else, have you tried reinstalling?

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Broand posted:

I learned how to make a decorative world map using Bibliocraft in Regrowth. I love these survival modpacks, they teach you mods so well.

I mean, in Regrowth that seems like it would be a map of a lot of brown.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
In Regrowth, how do you find aluminum? I can't find any in the nether and there isn't a magic crop recipe.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Sexual Aluminum posted:

In Regrowth, how do you find aluminum?

Do you need it for quest progression, or is this a personal thing?

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
I left thaumcraft out of my private pack. I leveled it all the way up once, and it was neat, but it was such a deep rabbit hole that I didnt use anything else. I also felt like it worked the server way too hard.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

Do you need it for quest progression, or is this a personal thing?

Let's just say I need more than I have now.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Is there a good texture pack compatible with regrowth? I tried out soartex but it just turns into a weird mishmash of high quality grain models and lovely everything else.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I'm trying the seed breeding thing in Regrowth, but whenever put a wheat seed and a carrot seed across from one another, all I ever get are more carrots. According to the questing guide this should be giving me sugar cane.

I'm setting it up like it says to and I've got Mandrake to work just fine, so I feel like something's gotta be wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Are you making sure that the block between the wheat and carrots is sand? Cause sugar cane grows on sand, not farm land.

• Locked thread