Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Count Bleck posted:

Those green things on the top? THAT'S the eyes?

How horrifying.

Makes it more relatable :kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
No wonder Thomas Goyf is so angry. He has such poor eyesight that he can't tell he's about to eat a zombie. I'd be angry too.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
As a kid it was a couple years before I realized the original Lhurgoyf art was of a lhurgoyf eating a screaming corpse. I thought the corpse's bulging eye was the lhurgoyf's and that the upper jaw was the end of a carapace over its head. Now that I've figured out what it actually is I can't quite see it the way I did as a kid, but I'm still not entirely sure if that's lhurgoyf's lower jaw or part of the corpse.

EDIT: Wait I just saw it, it's the lhurgoyf's right arm, holding the corpse up to its mouth, ohhhhh

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Well, the disappointment at not getting ascended OG Narset in Jeskai has been somewhat sated with RUG Sarkhan. I actually felt like that'd be possible but wasn't expecting it as much after Narset was just UW.

Also, Kibler's excitement is adorable. :3:

I'm pretty hyped to join the Temur Train.

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!
Good luck to all you fellow European goons at GP Liverpool.

(Sarkhan soon to hit all 5 colours and become our first 5 colour walker. Also decent possible flavor with Bolas. Both UR, with Bolas B and Sarkhan G.)

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Just played a GPT where 4 of the 5 matches I played were GR Devotion. Which is what I was also playing. The top 8 was 5/8 GR devotion, top 4 3/4. I was the top seed for T8 but lost first round against the person I played the round before.Top 4 split a box and I just got 2 packs :sigh:

The mirror matches were really dependent on who can hit their Ugin first. It was very common to see T3 Whisperwood, T5 Ugin -4, wipe the other side but keep 6 power for yourself on the board. You miss a land drop and you fall behind too much.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

GoutPatrol posted:

Just played a GPT where 4 of the 5 matches I played were GR Devotion. Which is what I was also playing. The top 8 was 5/8 GR devotion, top 4 3/4. I was the top seed for T8 but lost first round against the person I played the round before.Top 4 split a box and I just got 2 packs :sigh:

The mirror matches were really dependent on who can hit their Ugin first. It was very common to see T3 Whisperwood, T5 Ugin -4, wipe the other side but keep 6 power for yourself on the board. You miss a land drop and you fall behind too much.

Making top eight should have earned you more than two packs, and I can't really think of a scenario where this would make sense unless there were only twelve people in the event or something.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Pussy Snorkel posted:

Making top eight should have earned you more than two packs, and I can't really think of a scenario where this would make sense unless there were only twelve people in the event or something.

I mean, top 4 split a box so the prize payout sounds pretty terrible. I got 6 packs for taking 6th in a 15 person GPT, and $30 in credit for 3rd in another with like 12. Wouldn't it have been top 4 if it was only 12 people? I've never seen an event with less than 16 people cut to top 8 instead of 4.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

suicidesteve posted:

I mean, top 4 split a box so the prize payout sounds pretty terrible. I got 6 packs for taking 6th in a 15 person GPT, and $30 in credit for 3rd in another with like 12. Wouldn't it have been top 4 if it was only 12 people? I've never seen an event with less than 16 people cut to top 8 instead of 4.

Yeah, though I've seen some events cut to top eight no matter what. It's dumb, but some places do it.

Either way, it sounds like this was a poo poo event to begin with.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I'm pretty sure gpts have to cut. What was entry ?

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
GPTs only cut to 4 unless you get more than 16 players.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

suicidesteve posted:

The tournament rules don't mandate for top 4 over top 8 for a reason, it's just one listed option (with the recommendation you play one extra round of swiss). There's quite a lot of leeway in the tournament rules, the minimum is pretty much that you have the eight players and three rounds. The rest is very much just recommendations.

I don't see a requirement to cut at least in the tournament rules, only the requirement to have the single-elimination in the end in premier events (inc. GPTs).

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Going to interrupt Spoiler Chat with a question. Does anyone have suggestions on how to attractively store a card collection?

I'm getting back into Magic after (stupidly) selling my collection that spanned from Ice Age to Future Sight. My previous storage method were the white cardboard boxes from BCW; they worked well and were surprisingly durable. The 800ct boxes I used had to have been about 10 years old and were still holding up perfectly fine when I got rid of them. That said, I was a kid and didn't care about having cardboard boxes sitting around and/or shoved them in a closet.

This time, I want to be able to store my collection in a convenient spot, but not have it look like crap. I've been looking online and it seems a popular method is an antique card catalog, but that's going to prove costly and I'm not all that into that idea anyway. I saw another mention of using the good old white cardboard boxes stored in IKEA shelving units with baskets/drawers/doors, which I am leaning toward now. Something like this placed in this shelving unit. Gives my wife storage space, lets me have my own stuff in there without looking cluttered, and we need more shelves anyway so it's a win/win/win.

Does anyone have other suggestions?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
LSV on camera for sealed at GP Liverpool. He's ahead on board, and has the mana to cast a Villainous Wealth for 9. I want to see it so bad :(

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Devor posted:

LSV on camera for sealed at GP Liverpool. He's ahead on board, and has the mana to cast a Villainous Wealth for 9. I want to see it so bad :(

Decided to hide it all game and just win anyways. Dude is playing 5 color it's pretty hilarious.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Snacksmaniac posted:

I'm pretty sure gpts have to cut. What was entry ?

16 exactly. Prizes are usually better than this. Like, much better. There was a reason for prize support being so low, but he told everyone in Chinese so I didn't understand it. Its usually a pack a win at least.

To be clear, I didn't post to complain about prize support. I wasn't even expecting to do as well as I did.

GoutPatrol fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Mar 7, 2015

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

The prize ticket stuff from side events looks really really cool!

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Cedric and Patrick just did a long segment on why they think that shaman that everyone hates is a totally sweet card and thought of this thread.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Failboattootoot posted:

Cedric and Patrick just did a long segment on why they think that shaman that everyone hates is a totally sweet card and thought of this thread.

:allears: What did they say?

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Mostly how a 2/3 body is very relevant. That it would probably replace coursers in mono green since they already felt coursers were an iffy inclusion in the deck. That the ramp ability on it is very similar to some card I don't remember that was really important in some other older standard deck. And lastly that the ability is still fine despite being 11 mana, they see green decks hit 11 mana all the time.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Neat

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Hey Sorin is in this set nice now everybody can shut up about Narset stealing his show.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
is sorin gonna do somethin for real or is sarkhan gonna wake ugin and sorin just shows up to say hey

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

gang sines posted:

is sorin gonna do somethin for real or is sarkhan gonna wake ugin and sorin just shows up to say hey

knowing sorin, probably the latter

edit: has sorin done anything onscreen? ever?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Was Sorin still chilling in Tarkir when Sarkhan went back in time, or did he conveniently leave the plane beforehand and then come back after the alternate timeline take effect?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Did we talk about Battle for Zendikar being the new fall set or did I miss it completely?

Because I didn't see anybody gloating about obvious fetchland reprints and tons of "I told you so"s.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Count Bleck posted:

Did we talk about Battle for Zendikar being the new fall set or did I miss it completely?

Because I didn't see anybody gloating about obvious fetchland reprints and tons of "I told you so"s.

we talked a little about it when it first got revealed but I think it fell by the wayside quickly

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
It's interesting that (I assume anyway) the Khans fetchlands rotate out along with Khans of Tarkir in October, even though they can be found in Fate Reforged packs. Now I realize why they kept the Khans expansion symbol on them.

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Mercury Crusader posted:

Was Sorin still chilling in Tarkir when Sarkhan went back in time, or did he conveniently leave the plane beforehand and then come back after the alternate timeline take effect?

He's only under the assumption Ugin is dead. Presumably Ugin will just wake up and Sorin'll just be like welp guess not and be effectively none the wiser as to all the time fuckery.

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009
First FNM since being gone over a year and a half and I went 3-1 at Card Kingdom, what seems to be a pretty competitive store. Pretty happy about that.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

BJPaskoff posted:

It's interesting that (I assume anyway) the Khans fetchlands rotate out along with Khans of Tarkir in October, even though they can be found in Fate Reforged packs. Now I realize why they kept the Khans expansion symbol on them.

Khans and FRF remain legal until approx April 2016.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

BJPaskoff posted:

KTR and FRF rotate out at the same time, which should be in a little more than a year. .

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Is there a 'worse' version of Imperial Recruiter because I really really don't want to drop 300 dollars on a 1/1.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

BJPaskoff posted:

Why would you assume Khans rotates in October? That would make standard three sets. Theros goes, two more sets, then Khans goes unless I'm remembering wrong. And fates rotates with it, so there's no real confusion there, since people will have long since stopped drafting DDF.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Count Bleck posted:

Is there a 'worse' version of Imperial Recruiter because I really really don't want to drop 300 dollars on a 1/1.

You could spend half that price to get judge promo versions instead.

As for a worse version of it, probably depends on what deck you're wanting to use it in. Admittedly, I'm not sure what decks other than Painter combo use it.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

InterrupterJones posted:

As for a worse version of it, probably depends on what deck you're wanting to use it in. Admittedly, I'm not sure what decks other than Painter combo use it.

Pardon me I'm finding it baffling how the judge promo is somehow less expensive than the original but then I guess that's Portal for you.

Edit: I'm trying to build Norin the Wary EDH, the deck with all 2 power or less creatures minus Wurmcoil Engine

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Mar 7, 2015

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

Pardon me I'm finding it baffling how the judge promo is somehow less expensive than the original but then I guess that's Portal for you.

Edit: I'm trying to build Norin the Wary EDH, the deck with all 2 power or less creatures minus Wurmcoil Engine

Proxy it

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Fair enough.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Mastery of the Unseen is doing a surprising amount of work on camera. It might be mostly due to the positioning since black and blue have no obvious enchantment removal, but it's been nothing but trouble for the Sultai Control deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

InterrupterJones posted:

Aluren!

• Locked thread