Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I wish Conner could also do her interiors these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

For those of you who were curious about why Jess has a new costume.

Guardians Team-Up #1

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'm not sure calling it out excuses the artist for doing the thing where the emblem is drawn to look like she's wearing a one-piece swimsuit and decided to flash her boobs.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

That's what it looks like. There's also a panel where they colored her boobs yellow, and gave her bare shoulders as if those black lines were the edge of her outfit.

She literally got her new outfit the same day as that panel. It's a good look, check it out.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Whoa whoa whoa, who made the decision to actually put clothes on her?

And why is everyone around her acting like she's naked?

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
You guys... You guys... His tongue was thor.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Kharmakazy posted:

The mystery is solved.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
...I hope X-23 killed him for that pun.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

The MSJ posted:

Promo art/cover for Starfire's solo series.

Hahaha look at the chick in the background who's looking down at her own inadequate breasts in shame.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

My favorite is the old dude who is clearly about to start jerking it any second

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'm the dog.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

SynthOrange posted:

I'm the dog.

Holy poo poo, a talking dog!

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I'm the female police officer who dated a girl back in college, but eventually realized that it wasn't about love or even attraction, but just a way to rebel against her parents and who thought her lesbian days were long behind her but is now having those memories come flooding back and is at this exact moment remembering just how good the sex was.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Rough Lobster posted:

Hahaha look at the chick in the background who's looking down at her own inadequate breasts in shame.

That's a positive role model for young women, all right.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
having orange tits must be awesome, if they shot lasers you would be deadly if you hid yourself in the citrus bin at Shop-rite.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

That cover is bad.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Lurdiak posted:

That cover is bad.

I dunno the little doggy has a :downs: face

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

You really need a new avatar.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
What's interesting to me is that the character and the costume are fine- it's the response from the background characters, telling you that this is primarily supposed to be a sexual object and not a character you're looking at, that let you know something's wrong.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

If it turns out the book is about literally everyone on the planet wanting to gently caress this character and her having to deal with this problem, like an experimental horror film, then I guess it's a good cover.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

If it turns out the book is about literally everyone on the planet wanting to gently caress this character...

They already made this book. It's called Red Hood & The Outlaws.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The cover is literally just a PR statement "look at this hot new outfit we came up for her that isn't skanky like the last one and meets a nice compromise between our fan-wank history of Starfire's personality as an exhibitionist of her body's beauty which dates all the way back to her Wolfman/Perez days and her far more popular modern incarnation on the Teen Titans cartoon from 10 years ago." Besides which while I hate the weird inability of the superhero industry to separate its wank material from its all-ages books, having sexuality flaunted and making fun of people's reactions to it are not inherently bad things.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

mind the walrus posted:

The cover is literally just a PR statement "look at this hot new outfit we came up for her that isn't skanky like the last one and meets a nice compromise between our fan-wank history of Starfire's personality as an exhibitionist of her body's beauty which dates all the way back to her Wolfman/Perez days and her far more popular modern incarnation on the Teen Titans cartoon from 10 years ago." Besides which while I hate the weird inability of the superhero industry to separate its wank material from its all-ages books, having sexuality flaunted and making fun of people's reactions to it is are not inherently bad things.

But it's DC, and the last book they had her in she was Starfire: Intergalactic Amnesiac gently caress Hole. I'm not willing to give them even the slightest benefit of the doubt.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I wish the comic book had product placement with Orange Crush Soda.

IT WOULD GIVE IT DEEPER MEANING

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

TheJoker138 posted:

But it's DC, and the last book they had her in she was Starfire: Intergalactic Amnesiac gently caress Hole. I'm not willing to give them even the slightest benefit of the doubt.

This is true, but speaking solely as to what the cover is trying to convey that's what it's trying to convey in my eyes, and this is from someone who swore off DC books back in 2008. Note how they put Amanda-- I managed to make Power Girl and Harley Quinn look impossibly sexy yet still accessible--Connor on for the redesign and covers. Even if the real book isn't within a mile of that promise they're clearly banking that perception is going to equal reality and most of that perception is going to come from this cover.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Maybe they compromised and there's no back whatsoever. That would explain the background

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

RandomFerret posted:

I'm the female police officer who dated a girl back in college, but eventually realized that it wasn't about love or even attraction, but just a way to rebel against her parents and who thought her lesbian days were long behind her but is now having those memories come flooding back and is at this exact moment remembering just how good the sex was.

That police officer? RENEE MONTOYA.

gently caress you nu52!

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Opopanax posted:

Maybe they compromised and there's no back whatsoever. That would explain the background

It's got one of the random circles cut out square in the middle for no explicable reason.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Kharmakazy posted:

He mutht have bit it.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

The MSJ posted:

Promo art/cover for Starfire's solo series.

This is a pretty weird way to announce that Shaggy from Scooby-Doo is now a DC character.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Discendo Vox posted:

What's interesting to me is that the character and the costume are fine

:laffo:

How bad was her old design that this is considered a step up?

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

ungulateman posted:

:unsmigghh:

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

ungulateman posted:

I'm just grabbing something at random, but:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah its pretty bad.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

ungulateman posted:

I may have lost perspective on the character- but I do think it's safe to say it's the most conservative clothing she's ever had outside of the cartoon.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

In the cartoon, she wears a miniskirt and has no sleeves. That new costume actually shows even less skin.

edit:

(Ms. Marvel #12)

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Mar 7, 2015

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

The MSJ posted:

In the cartoon, she wears a miniskirt and has no sleeves. That new costume actually shows even less skin.

Beat me to it. The costume is perfectly fine in my opinion. Good costumes for women doesn't automatically mean "cover up any skin". It means "make them more practical, good-looking and less male-gaze cheesecake". Some women do like to wear revealing clothes without having anything to do with what men want to see after all.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

She could be wearing a suit and tie and that cover would still blow.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

The MSJ posted:

Gave Starfire a miniskirt, took away Raven's loincloth design.
Both are pretty good design choices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

The Taint Reaper posted:

I wish the comic book had product placement with Orange Crush Soda.

IT WOULD GIVE IT DEEPER MEANING

Ahem I'll have you know Orange Slice is clearly superior :colbert:

I, what?