Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Shaggar posted:

in most languages you can tell what they do cause the syntax is reasonable. Haskells syntax is awful on every level and is completely indefensible

everything i know is reasonable and sensible. everything i dont know is unreasonable and senseless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

no in most languages you spell out everything in retarded baby steps that joe blow idiot can follow because he can't understand anything even remotely declarative.

urgh you're just playing into his hands

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
trap sprung then dang

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

HappyHippo posted:

everything i know is reasonable and sensible. everything i dont know is unreasonable and senseless

:agreed:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

HappyHippo posted:

if it wasn't unreasonable and senseless I would know it.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
to be fair "unreasonable and senseless" is a pretty good description of a LOT of haskell code

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
doing that big haskell assignment helped me loads when it came to doing that erlang assignment the other day, the syntax is scary but you can get used to it

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

no in most languages you spell out everything in retarded baby steps that joe blow idiot can follow because he can't understand anything even remotely declarative.

I like "retarded baby steps", it's code much easier to maintain

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

to be fair "unreasonable and senseless" is a pretty good description of a LOT of haskell code

idk i think that code i posted there is pretty reasonable

Symbolic Butt posted:

I like "retarded baby steps", it's code much easier to maintain

im not sure this is true

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

have a bit of religious wars thrown at you

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

MononcQc posted:

red means "has side effects"?

edit: but "line is null" doesn't seem to fit that pattern

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

MononcQc posted:

java.io.File doesn't have a readLine() method :laugh:

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

prefect posted:

red means "has side effects"?

edit: but "line is null" doesn't seem to fit that pattern

nah, just that the colours correspond to the same code - so all the red parts in the top image are contained in the red part in the bottom

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

gonadic io posted:

nah, just that the colours correspond to the same code - so all the red parts in the top image are contained in the red part in the bottom

:doh: i didn't realize it was two arrangements of the same code; it thought it was one thing, just oddly-aligned

at least this is the terrible thread :downs:

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

CPColin posted:

java.io.File doesn't have a readLine() method :laugh:

I haven't used it much but the NIO stuff seems way, way more useful in practice.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
the formatting is a bit strange yeah - why is "List<String> errors =" highlighted in the first image but not the second?

e: also the filter line needs another close parens

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
And who makes a while loop for reading a file and doesn't make the first line look like this:

code:
while ((line = reader.readLine()) != null)

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

gonadic io posted:

the formatting is a bit strange yeah - why is "List<String> errors =" highlighted in the first image but not the second?

because it's a religious argument and a terrible image

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't understand it therefore it's bad BLUB PARADOX YOU GUYS

paul graham was right (9/11 was caused by imperative programming)

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

MononcQc posted:

this is a great example of how c#'s designers took unworkable garbage from haskell and turned it into something functional and comprehensible

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Shaggar posted:

this is a great example of how c#'s designers took unworkable garbage from haskell and turned it into a form that i'm comfortable with

for real though we do agree on stuff like this, erik meijer is great

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

i haven't tried it, but how bad could it be in comparison to scala? it's written by the jetbrains people so the ide support is already better. i think i'll be looking for some small tasks to use it for at work to give it a spin.

im also curious. is there something horribly wrong with kotlin that makes nobody want to use it? just looking at the docs, i like what i see, better than java groovy & scala

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
altho looks like it doesn't have sum types

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
for reference it'd be something like:

code:
errors :: IO [String]
errors =  liftIO (take 40 . filter (isPrefixOf "ERROR") . lines) (readFile fileName)

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

gonadic io posted:

e: also the filter line needs another close parens

I think the author meant to highlight the "new ArrayList<>()" part only

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Someone talk about docker, it looks cool and I want an excuse to use it.

Can the virtual environment be like, different versions of windows and office?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pointsofdata posted:

Someone talk about docker, it looks cool and I want an excuse to use it.

Can the virtual environment be like, different versions of windows and office?

microsoft is working on docker support right now. so yes, conceivably.

licensing might get tricky tho. does office have a free trial?

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

MononcQc posted:

This proves python comprehensions are unequivocally the best at being simple and easy to understand.

that or jquery

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I thought docker wasn't flavor of the month anymore after the gaping security holes

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
security holes are baked into the system; it's not really designed to be isolated from its base operating system. there's some retrofit work but the shared memory model makes it really hard, apparently

it's by all accounts neat, I keep meaning to try it but haven't bothered because vagrant is good enough and I'm all cloud these days anyway, I just spin up a real VM 99% of the time

5 years from now, software will be released as source, rpm, or docker file and all us SA's will be out of a job because you won't even care about the OS anymore! just stick it in your docker container ship.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Bhodi posted:

security holes are baked into the system; it's not really designed to be isolated from its base operating system. there's some retrofit work but the shared memory model makes it really hard, apparently

it's by all accounts neat, I keep meaning to try it but haven't bothered because vagrant is good enough and I'm all cloud these days anyway, I just spin up a real VM 99% of the time

5 years from now, software will be released as source, rpm, or docker file and all us SA's will be out of a job because you won't even care about the OS anymore! just stick it in your docker container ship.

No I think he meant the whole not checking signatures thing

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

~Coxy posted:

what do you mean?
this is important

i know this is way late but any reasonable mocking framework will let you create a mock for a (non-final) concrete class. no need to use a single-implementation interface to be able to mock it out in a test.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
haskell is the high level language designed to be harder to use than assembly

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
hey can anyone tell me what a monad is???

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

bobbilljim posted:

yes

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

bobbilljim posted:

unfortunately no one can be told what the monad is. you have to see it for yourself.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

bobbilljim posted:

see ur copy of leibniz op

Joe Law
Jun 30, 2008

I dont even see monads anymore... all I see now is blonde, brunette, redhead.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I've… seen things you people wouldn't believe… monads on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched rings glitter in the dark near the Gate to Kirk Johnson's rectum. All those… moments… will be lost in time, like [small cough] posts in the yos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A VHS INTO THE SLOT. ITS ERLANG: THE MOVIE AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, JOE. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I SLAM DOWN SOME TELEPHONE OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP TECHNIQUE. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY ESCAPED CONSECUTIVE PROGRAMMING. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY COLLEGE CLASS AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN COLLEGE CLASS CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JERKS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE LINES AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY APARTMENT LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING EM ALL. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNING. THEN I LIFT

• Locked thread