Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Android Blues posted:

My secret hope was for a Parks and Rec/30 Rock crossover episode, but that dream will have to live on in the fringes of what-might-have-been.

Jack, Dwight and Ron Swanson show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

grilldos posted:

Please don't let any of these comments stop you from watching either of these excellent loving television programs.
Yeah, Party Down is still great and Veep is one of my all-time favorite comedies.

Also seconding whoever said the Mary Tyler Moore show, which was a huge influence on both 30 Rock and Parks and Rec.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Frostwerks posted:

Jack, Dwight and Ron Swanson show.

That'd be a great SNL skit, at least. But only if they actually got all the actors, and not their terrible impersonations.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
I've always heard tales of people who say things like, "30 Rock wasn't really funny" but I've never actually met one of them. I'm surprised to find so many of them in one thread. 30 Rock & Parks were the two most consistent comedies I've ever seen. Even more so than Arrested Development.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I could never get into 30 Rock for some reason, but it did have some bits I appreciated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_24p1ht9v8

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I really want to see Party Down, but Netflix is pretty much what I'm willing to pay for telvision... I guess I could get DVDs but.... :10bux: :saddowns: Is there any way to watch it for free with ads or something?

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!
Netflix used to have Party Down, and I'm kicking myself for never getting around to watch it. I recently marathoned through Don't Trust the B---- in Apartment 23 and I really liked it. It's only 2 seasons, but I thought it was really funny.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

King of Foolians posted:

Netflix used to have Party Down, and I'm kicking myself for never getting around to watch it. I recently marathoned through Don't Trust the B---- in Apartment 23 and I really liked it. It's only 2 seasons, but I thought it was really funny.
DTTB was really good, and it deserved better. It is the Better Off Ted of the 2010s.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Despite being a big Veronica Mars fan, i have never been able to get into Party Down, i have tried several times but it just isn't me.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Party Down is amazing.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Speaking of shows which are "positive" like Parks and Rec: this may come off as an extremely odd suggestion but.... Trailer Park Boys?

Underneath all the swearing and drugs and prison time and guns and dissing you get the sense that, overall, this is a community of people who really "care" about each other, even though in most ways they are all incredibly terrible.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

By that logic we'd be recommending It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

Always Sunny is the best comedy on TV bar none, but it's nothing at all like P&R.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Mar 5, 2015

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I get it. I don't know what it is about that show, it just makes me feel happy, but I knew it was a stretch.

I guess it's mostly the Julian/Ricky/Bubbles friendship that really does it for me.

FELD1 posted:

I'd like to add 'Derek' to the list of recommendations. It's done by Ricky Gervais and shot in the documentary style; the characters are very sweet and there are some very heartwarming moments too. Also of note, the dude from 'Idiot Abroad' is a character in the first season and he's hilarious.

Okay, that IS a good recommendation.

Brawnfire fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Mar 5, 2015

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
I'd like to add 'Derek' to the list of recommendations. It's done by Ricky Gervais and shot in the documentary style; the characters are very sweet and there are some very heartwarming moments too. Also of note, the dude from 'Idiot Abroad' is a character in the first season and he's hilarious.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

FELD1 posted:

Good suggestion. It's got a bit of that Ricky Gervais awkwardness to it, but this time it's not actually coming from Gervais. Very interesting show.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

FELD1 posted:

Is this better than "Extras", I like what I read on wiki I might give it a try.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

I watched the first season of Derek but couldn't really get into it. Pilkington is funny but overall it felt like Gervais was going overboard with the sentimentality and trying to make the audience cry every episode. It didn't help that him as David Brent making fun of the mentally-handicapped was the same way he played Derek straight.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Re: Happy Endings talk: Their Twitter account has been active recently, there were a bunch of references to the characters, and the coordinates to a Four Seasons hotel in Chicago. There's a count down as well, and the fact that it's counting towarsd April 1st is the only thing that makes me not super happy about this.

Peggotty fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Mar 5, 2015

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!

cebrail posted:

Re: Happy Endings talk: Their Twitter account has been active for a while, there were a bunch of references to the characters, and the coordinates to a Four Seasons hotel in Chicago. There's a count down as well, and the fact that it's counting towarsd April 1st is the only thing that makes me not super happy about this.

Holy poo poo. I'm having a hard time tamping down my expectations.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Hobo Clown posted:

I watched the first season of Derek but couldn't really get into it. Pilkington is funny but overall it felt like Gervais was going overboard with the sentimentality and trying to make the audience cry every episode. It didn't help that him as David Brent making fun of the mentally-handicapped was the same way he played Derek straight.

A lot of people don't like Derek for those reasons. I think this is the first time I've seen someone recommend the show.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

whatever7 posted:

Is this better than "Extras", I like what I read on wiki I might give it a try.

Extras is one of the best things Gervais has done so that's kind of a high bar!

cebrail posted:

Re: Happy Endings talk: Their Twitter account has been active recently, there were a bunch of references to the characters, and the coordinates to a Four Seasons hotel in Chicago. There's a count down as well, and the fact that it's counting towarsd April 1st is the only thing that makes me not super happy about this.

I can't believe the show would come back. Pretty much all of the cast has moved on to other shows so that's not realistic I wouldn't think.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

BonoMan posted:

I can't believe the show would come back. Pretty much all of the cast has moved on to other shows so that's not realistic I wouldn't think.

Depending on their schedules it could work. A couple of cast members have shows that have already filmed or cancelled.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

BonoMan posted:

I don't know too much about these shows, but some person on the internet wrote:

Damon Wayans Jr. has left New Girl
Adam Pally has left Mindy Project
Eliza Coupe's series has been cancelled
Casey Wilson's series is rumoured to be cancelled
Elisha Cuthbert & Zachary Knighton's series are mid-season shows with only 6 episodes picked up for each

I want to believe.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

BonoMan posted:

Extras is one of the best things Gervais has done so that's kind of a high bar!

I liked Extras more than The Office.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

King of Foolians posted:

That show was great and it was a real stroke of genius to have James van der Beek play himself.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

cebrail posted:

I'm pretty sure it's just the former writers loving around. They did a bit when it was cancelled telling people one of the writers was the abc executive who cancelled the show and to send angry tweets about it to him.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

cebrail posted:

I don't know too much about these shows, but some person on the internet wrote:

Damon Wayans Jr. has left New Girl
Adam Pally has left Mindy Project
Eliza Coupe's series has been cancelled
Casey Wilson's series is rumoured to be cancelled
Elisha Cuthbert & Zachary Knighton's series are mid-season shows with only 6 episodes picked up for each

I want to believe.

We don't need Zachary Knighton. Elisha Cuthbert would be missed but they could make due with a life size cardboard cutout of her that keeps falling on things and accidentally forcing the plot forward. The rest are vital.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Soylentbits posted:

Elisha Cuthbert would be missed but they could make due with a life size cardboard cutout of her that keeps falling on ribs and accidentally forcing the plot forward.

:colbert:

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Soylentbits posted:

We don't need Zachary Knighton. Elisha Cuthbert would be missed but they could make due with a life size cardboard cutout of her that keeps falling on things and accidentally forcing the plot forward. The rest are vital.

gently caress. You.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Soylentbits posted:

Of course you hate the guy who's 1/16 Navajo. Racist.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Soylentbits posted:

Counterpoint:

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
The funny thing about Season 1 is it's just barely over 2 hours long minus credits. So you should sit through it if you're new even though it's weird. Think of it like the movie that the rest of the series was spun off of.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
Apparently Garry helps murderers now.

Has anyone seen the other stuff Jim O' Heir has done? I haven't seen him do much besides be a minor character.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Waffleopolis posted:

Has anyone seen the other stuff Jim O' Heir has done? I haven't seen him do much besides be a minor character.

It comes off more as the kind of thing a minor actor does once they realize they've reached "star" power and want to do something they enjoy. With the emergence of KS and all crowd funding sites it makes sense for him to capitalize off his fame to do a "passion" project.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
On the topic of positive sitcom's Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt just premiered on Netflix and so far it's fantastic.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Henchman of Santa posted:

On the topic of positive sitcom's Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt just premiered on Netflix and so far it's fantastic.

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt is loving fantastic.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I just finished it a few hours ago, and I liked it. Kimmy and Leslie would get along well, I think. Kimmy's not the workaholic that Leslie is but she's got the same unbridled optimism. Everyone other than Kimmy feels closer to a caricature than any Parks character ever was, although they do start giving the characters a bit more dimension eventually. The show's sense of humor leans closer to 30 Rock's, and isn't as heartwarming as Parks (yet?), but from what I've seen, it's definitely on the happier side of things rather than cynical.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Wow im like 2 minutes into Kimmy Schmidt and I love it already. Doing the news stories as a remix was a great idea.

EDIT: YESSS its the theme song!

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Mar 7, 2015

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
After watching the first few episodes, Kimmy Schmidt is a great choice for those missing 30 Rock and, to a lesser extent, Parks & Rec.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Waffleopolis posted:

Super minor part, but he was in one episode of Friends, working at an adoption agency pairing Monica and Chandler with a character played by Anna Ferris. Lost my mind on a rewatch when he came on screaming, "Garry!"

• Locked thread