Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
If they're anything like the rest of what Mierce puts out, they do. :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

LordAba posted:

^^^ Look at the image source. ;)

I wonder if they have fully sculpted genitals?

Thanks!

Also their website is horrible but I like their stuff. Ugh gently caress this, who designs a website like that.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Mar 7, 2015

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Hollismason posted:

Thanks!

Also their website is horrible but I like their stuff. Ugh gently caress this, who designs a website like that. I can't even find that guy or that specific line of miniatures.

Say what one will about the GW website, you can at least browse or search and usually find the product you're looking for in a way that doesn't break your eyeballs. Some of the third-party ones are head-scratchingly bad. Of course, others like Kromlech and Spellcrow are mostly fine.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Mierce Miniatures is on the short list of miniature companies that's solidly Worse Than GW. They stole a lot of people's money when they closed Maelstrom Games.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

That's not very nice, also I was expecting some interesting prices I was not expecting the price to be almost that of what the Blood Thirster from Forgeworld costs.

What have you heard about puppetswar? I just ordered something from them for a conversion project.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Mierce Miniatures is on the short list of miniature companies that's solidly Worse Than GW. They stole a lot of people's money when they closed Maelstrom Games.

Wait, Mierce was behind Maelstrom? That was a clusterfuck.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Maelstorm owned Mierce, then transfered all tangible assets to it before closing their doors. There's more to it than that, but people with outstanding orders and preorders were screwed.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Hollismason posted:

What have you heard about puppetswar? I just ordered something from them for a conversion project.

I'm not aware of any drama involving puppetswar but I do have to say that the stuff I've gotten from them has been good casts but has taken forever to get to me (though once they included a bunch of freebies with it because of that, that was nice.)

e: when I say "forever" I mean like "a month" so we're not talking like Zuzzy here.

JerryLee fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Mar 7, 2015

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Hollismason posted:

That's not very nice, also I was expecting some interesting prices I was not expecting the price to be almost that of what the Blood Thirster from Forgeworld costs.

Puppetwars is good. They take a little while to ship, but aren't bad.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009
I ordered from puppetswar once, they sent me twice as much as I ordered and it got here insanely fast especially considering it was from poland to canada. Only bad and weird part is that I didn't get any confirmation at all that they had received my order or that it had shipped or anything, I was going to email them about it but then it just showed up after a week.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

That's really good to know I was a little worried.

I ordered these guys

and these guys

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Some goon bought the top half of a Big Momma from Puppetswar to stick on a Rhino chassis, as I recall it took some work to make it fit as designed but turned out looking fantastic

I plan to get an Enforcer from them some day because I like collecting robits and other wonderful mechanical men. Gonna photograph them all together for the ultimate size comparison!

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Uroboros posted:

Well you have 4 full squads on that list with all the toys, but if you took the 4th, dropped it down to half(because tiggy is 100 points more than a lvl 1 libby, and you already have 15 points to spare) lose the Multi-Melta and its holder(29), and then cut out 4 more Marines, so really you are only losing five guys. You can keep the regular melta and combiin that squad. That multi-melta isn't going to do anything turn 1 on arrival anyway. In return you get Tiggy, with all the good divination powers(or even biomancy if you want him to a melee monster), nearly garaunteed 2nd turn arrival of your remaining drop pods, OR you can even reroll a successful reserve roll in the hope of failing it for it arrive at a later date. On top of this he rerolls any failed tests. I get you are far more experienced with this than me, but to my inexperienced brain 5 Marines seems like a totally sensible trade for the force multiplier that is tiggy.

Also, Tiggy has the warlord trait that lets a unit once per game reroll on shooting, so Ultramarine tactics, primaris divination, and warlord trait. That is a lot of rerolling for five Marines.

You certainly aren't wrong. And I like multi meltas more then I should, but you shouldn't discount them. Rerolling snap fires turn one with a long range melta threat turn two makes them a giant pain in the rear end after the drop. And if they are snap firing anyway they can be freeish shots at fliers.

And the multi melta guy can wind up being your designated krak grenade thrower.

Naramyth fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Mar 7, 2015

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

NTRabbit posted:

Some goon bought the top half of a Big Momma from Puppetswar to stick on a Rhino chassis, as I recall it took some work to make it fit as designed but turned out looking fantastic

I plan to get an Enforcer from them some day because I like collecting robits and other wonderful mechanical men. Gonna photograph them all together for the ultimate size comparison!

I'm always on the look out for alternative heads, guns, bodies etc.. for my Necrons. I like the way the Necron's look for sure, but I'm not satisfied with the variety that exists between Praetorians, Lychguard, Flayed Ones, Immortals etc.. basically the Necron Warrior "Chassis".

I've been trying for a while now to find a different Scarab swap , plus I've had like no luck reducing the size of the Scarabs I have because of the way they look there's just not like a lot of detail so I can not make them any smaller to put on normal infantry and they're just a little bit to big to put on vehicles to make it look like they are repairing them. I'm hoping these will be a bit smaller and I may be able to shrink them a bit and not lose detail

The Snake Arachnid dudes are for whatever I have not decided, I'm leaning towards creating Praetorians that are like snake body, but I gotta get the miniatures first to see what can be done. The GW Canoptek Wraiths are amazing and I wouldn't replace them.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Mar 7, 2015

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MasterSlowPoke posted:

And yet, they have done nothing as dickish, or more, since. I wasn't one of the people who lost money over Maelstrom (got all my useless Beastmen, thanks), so I don't view them with the same disdain you seem to. They have been making real progress with their new brand, as well as keeping a good level of communication with their community - keeping everyone appraised of what's coming down the road and what progress has been made of things still being developed. In that sense, they're 'better' than GW.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

NTRabbit posted:

:black101:

Took some work getting there though:

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Irate Tree posted:

And yet, they have done nothing as dickish, or more, since. I wasn't one of the people who lost money over Maelstrom (got all my useless Beastmen, thanks), so I don't view them with the same disdain you seem to. They have been making real progress with their new brand, as well as keeping a good level of communication with their community - keeping everyone appraised of what's coming down the road and what progress has been made of things still being developed. In that sense, they're 'better' than GW.

They effectively stole thousands of pounds from customers and stuck their middle fingers up to those that complained.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!

BULBASAUR posted:

:black101:

Took some work getting there though:

This is absolutely loving absurd. There is no way that thing could store more than two shots in its' entire interior with a barrel that size, and firing it would probably tear it to pieces.

I love it.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Texmo posted:

This is absolutely loving absurd. There is no way that thing could store more than two shots in its' entire interior with a barrel that size, and firing it would probably tear it to pieces.

I love it.

The interior of a rhino chassis is like a tardis. How else do you think they can fit ten power armour marines in there? Not to mention the pool table, wet bar and butler's quarters.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

My idea is that they were trying to make a Vindicator but hosed up and made the barrel too big, so now they use some sort of captive sabot system to fire Vindicator shells from it.

Either that or, since it's a chaos legion tank, they have some way of growing/summoning daemon shells inside the tank.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Maelstorm owned Mierce, then transfered all tangible assets to it before closing their doors. There's more to it than that, but people with outstanding orders and preorders were screwed.

It's a shame really, as with Kingdom Death, that they're such a lovely company, because when they're not lovingly sculpting ratman taint, and screwing the poo poo out of customers they make excellent, high quality, high detail sculpts. I bought a couple of their mini way back at the start of this addiction when Maelstrom still existed (got pretty hosed over in the order process when they stopped stocking part of my order and didn't tell me or send the rest of the order until I rang them, and thinking about it, I'm not sure they ever refunded me for the bit I was missing) but what I got was really well made.

I just wish they weren't massive dicks, because as with Kingdom Death, I really like some of their minis, I want to paint them, but I don't want to support the lovely people who make them.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Hollismason posted:

I don't care what anyone says, the toughest lists that I find the most difficult to deal with is mass Space marine infantry. It's just a pain in the loving rear end. They all have objective secured and they all split into 5 man units depending on the mission. Then you have to kill 50 of the fuckers.

When I worked for GW in Trafford Centre, it was my favourite list to play with the store Ultramarine army in 3rd Ed - 1500 points, drop 70 Marines, 3 Vindicators and a Captain in his boxer shorts on the problem. You'd be surprised how few lists can actually deal with that.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
I'm just curious if anyone here has a Chaos half of Dark Vengeance that they'd be willing to trade for the Dark Angels half. I am starting CSM and the only taker I have locally is missing the Hellbrute, which is really one of the two things I mostly want a second one of.

PM me or email drouse at gmail

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Anyone need some 40k inspiration?

Slimnoid posted:

Well, that answers the question about scale.

40k vehicles have gotten bigger before, the Taurox is so big I wonder if the other vehicles will be upscaled. And by the time they get a Landraider to where it looks like Marines can fit into it, they'll make Marines bigger.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Post 9-11 User posted:

Anyone need some 40k inspiration?

40k vehicles have gotten bigger before, the Taurox is so big I wonder if the other vehicles will be upscaled. And by the time they get a Landraider to where it looks like Marines can fit into it, they'll make Marines bigger.
The Taurox isn't as big as it looks.
I think it's a little smaller than an Ork Trukk.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

MasterSlowPoke posted:

The Taurox isn't as big as it looks.
I think it's a little smaller than an Ork Trukk.

Yeah it's actually pretty small.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

The group of people I play with 6 or 7 total, are thinking of instituting some rule changes. I'm unsure how I feel about it, but I enjoy the rule changes.

Anyone else run with a group that has it's own internal rules? The main changes are to FMC and Invisibility.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Naramyth posted:

You certainly aren't wrong. And I like multi meltas more then I should, but you shouldn't discount them. Rerolling snap fires turn one with a long range melta threat turn two makes them a giant pain in the rear end after the drop. And if they are snap firing anyway they can be freeish shots at fliers.

And the multi melta guy can wind up being your designated krak grenade thrower.

Well. At least the discussion has given me something to aim for. I like your initial list but with Tiggy added in, and had been trying to come up with a good 1500 drop pod army list. I didn't even really think about allies, and this honestly gives me a reason to paint some Marines other than Ultramarine Blue, and to snag that badass looking Blood Angels Librarian. Not sure if I want to paint a couple drop pods red merely to take advantage of something that may get changed in the future, so I might just keep them Ultramarine colors, and say "well they are Blood Angels drop pods...tee hee hee hee" would your average tournament object to this?

Also, my oath continues at a reasonable pace, first centurian 99% done.

TheArmorOfContempt fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Mar 7, 2015

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Having a crack at OSL using my airbrush because I currently suck at it. Figured I'd try it on a WIP Wraith so I could go over it if it's terrible. Photos aren't the best (first photo is under my painting light and it looks very bright) but any advice would be awesome since I've never really done this before and my airbrush work has previously consisted of "basecoat all the stuff" so any advice on needle sizes, air pressures etc for this kind of finer detail work would be greatly appreciated (I have a Sotar 20/20).

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Much, much lower intensity, put some specular highlights on a couple of bits further away, and make the light source much brighter if not actually white. Remember what OSL actually IS - which is reflected light from a source; the source should be the brightest thing in the image, and should always be brighter than the reflections - and when it comes to minis, that means whiter, usually.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I'd go so far as to suggest a very neon orange / center white. , a bit heavy on the spray at first glance, I like to hit it with a light coat, hit it with a whitish mix, then hit it again. Just some thoughts. I mean your lighting is going to be of course darker than the colour that is casting the light. So if it's a blue white source it's going to not be the same shade as the light source if that makes sense.

I'd actually suggest not hitting those three center dots on the left to hard at all, the lighting source for the center is going to be pretty bright but there should still be some areas that the light won't reach as it's a small area that's being lit by 3 sources. You could probably use some tape to seal off a circular area around the lights.

Okay that's way complicated, I'll just draw a picture.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Mar 7, 2015

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Back to the drawing board then. I think I need to invest in some better paints for this kind of stuff since I don't think the mix is helping as it kept clogging up the airbrush and probably lower the air pressure since I'm working on such a small area. Highlights on other areas makes sense. I did add a slightly lighter orange around the eye socket sections but I think it's just been washed out by the rest of it really.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I think it's a good start absolutely 100% with just minor tweaking, I will draw a picture.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Slightly lighter doesn't really work.

The analogy I generally go to is lightsabers - if you look at images of them from the films, especially the newer ones, you'll see that the actual blades are almost pure white - the colour comes from the glow *around* the blade, and the reflected light on the surroundings. It doesn't come from the light source being red, we get the impression that the light source is red because it makes its surroundings more red.

Tequila Ranger
Sep 11, 2004

host after host after host ...

Hollismason posted:

The group of people I play with 6 or 7 total, are thinking of instituting some rule changes. I'm unsure how I feel about it, but I enjoy the rule changes.

Anyone else run with a group that has it's own internal rules? The main changes are to FMC and Invisibility.

WTF is wrong with FMCS that they wanna change?

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

thespaceinvader posted:

Slightly lighter doesn't really work.

The analogy I generally go to is lightsabers - if you look at images of them from the films, especially the newer ones, you'll see that the actual blades are almost pure white - the colour comes from the glow *around* the blade, and the reflected light on the surroundings. It doesn't come from the light source being red, we get the impression that the light source is red because it makes its surroundings more red.

Had a quick crack at lightening the source and adding some highlights. It was pretty quick/messy, the highlights around the smaller eyes especially, just to check I'm hitting the areas you suggested.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Tequila Ranger posted:

WTF is wrong with FMCS that they wanna change?

They want to move to changing them so they move like Eldar Jetbikes.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
That's awful. That's basically taking away their only real defense.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Master Twig posted:

That's awful. That's basically taking away their only real defense.

Seriously. Now that they can't assault on the turn they change flight modes and with the changes to Smash, FMCs are already hurting in this edition. Taking away the need for Skyfire to shoot them would make them nearly unusable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Texmo posted:

I love it.

JerryLee posted:

My idea is that they were trying to make a Vindicator but hosed up and made the barrel too big, so now they use some sort of captive sabot system to fire Vindicator shells from it.

Either that or, since it's a chaos legion tank, they have some way of growing/summoning daemon shells inside the tank.

See, to me it's perfectly functional- my vindicators only fire 1-2 shots before exploding/getting glanced to death

• Locked thread