Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Ironically, the best thing you can do to Bram Stoker's Dracula is take the Bram Stoker out of it. I mean, I'm not praising the weird reincarnation plot, I'm saying cut out the parts of the book that are a young woman writing letters about where she had lunch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

So I remember an ending from a kung fu film, but nothing else about it. The ending is this evil emperor guy giving a big speech, then a woman(I think) does a flip and cuts him in half, and the credits start before he's even done being cut in half. I'd really appreciate if anyone could help me figure out what movie that is.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

Lurdiak posted:

I'd really appreciate if anyone could help me figure out what movie that is.

Same.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I too would like to watch this movie.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lurdiak posted:

So I remember an ending from a kung fu film, but nothing else about it. The ending is this evil emperor guy giving a big speech, then a woman(I think) does a flip and cuts him in half, and the credits start before he's even done being cut in half. I'd really appreciate if anyone could help me figure out what movie that is.

Ask here. They've found some super esoteric poo poo, though it helps if you have any idea of when it was made or at least when and how (cable, rented, some streaming service) you saw it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Whoops, sorry. I didn't see that there.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I wasn't sure where else to ask this but can anyone with a copy of The Grey take a screenshot of the view Diaz dies looking at? Either with him in shot or not, but preferably as much as possible of the view.

Highest possible quality please.

I've been asked to do some design work and my Blu-ray drive has died.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
I just watched Shame (2011) with Michael Fassbender. I'm realizing that I really like this style of film, with the close-ups, the long scenes, and selective dialogue (sparse at times, intense at others). For some reason when I was watching it, I kept being reminded of what I liked about Whiplash, the close-up dialogue scenes, the intensity in emotion, the close focus of both films. It's a feeling of watching someone or small number of people really up close in their lives. I just like to study the faces and emotions that are presented on screen and I don't feel like a creep as I would in real life.

So my question is what films should I watch to explore this interest more? Thanks.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Hunger

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I'll be watching that soon actually, probably today! Of course found it because of the McQueen connection.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Dudebro posted:

I just watched Shame (2011) with Michael Fassbender. I'm realizing that I really like this style of film, with the close-ups, the long scenes, and selective dialogue (sparse at times, intense at others). For some reason when I was watching it, I kept being reminded of what I liked about Whiplash, the close-up dialogue scenes, the intensity in emotion, the close focus of both films. It's a feeling of watching someone or small number of people really up close in their lives. I just like to study the faces and emotions that are presented on screen and I don't feel like a creep as I would in real life.

So my question is what films should I watch to explore this interest more? Thanks.

Check out Scenes from a Marriage.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

PriorMarcus posted:

I wasn't sure where else to ask this but can anyone with a copy of The Grey take a screenshot of the view Diaz dies looking at? Either with him in shot or not, but preferably as much as possible of the view.

Google has a few decent sized pics of it. I don't have a blue drive in my pc so I can't do it.

https://www.google.com/search?site=...2F%3B1920%3B816

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010

PriorMarcus posted:

Here are a whole bunch. You can see the camera angle changes a little. Not sure if it's the quality you need.

http://imgur.com/gallery/le5v8/new

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Dudebro posted:

Here are a whole bunch. You can see the camera angle changes a little. Not sure if it's the quality you need.

http://imgur.com/gallery/le5v8/new

This is perfect. Thank you very, very much.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Has anyone seen Digging Up the Marrow yet? Seems like pretty standard found footage but the creature designs seem genuinely disturbing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCSYNT7Xrfs

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Has anyone seen Digging Up the Marrow yet? Seems like pretty standard found footage but the creature designs seem genuinely disturbing.

I didn't get a good look at the monster designs, but you had me at "Ray Wise plays a weird old crank."

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Dudebro posted:

Check out the movies of Chantal Akerman.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Hah, is this like a found footage version of Nightbreed?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I just watched Lynch's Dune and am I supposed to feel kinda confused after watching it? Like there are pieces of something there but it's all buried under so much worldbuilding and special effects and one-note characters that I just couldn't wait for it to end.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Thwomp posted:

I just watched Lynch's Dune and am I supposed to feel kinda confused after watching it? Like there are pieces of something there but it's all buried under so much worldbuilding and special effects and one-note characters that I just couldn't wait for it to end.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Thwomp posted:

Just be glad you didn't watch the "director's" cut, the only director's cut of a film I know of where the director insisted on taking his name off the film.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

How is The Fantastic Mr. Fox? I love Wes Anderson movies but I'm not big on animated/stop motion stuff. Is it geared towards kids?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Yaws posted:

How is The Fantastic Mr. Fox? I love Wes Anderson movies but I'm not big on animated/stop motion stuff. Is it geared towards kids?

It's good. Very dry humor throughout but it's also a zany caper so a little bit?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Yaws posted:

It's excellent. Gorgeous cinematography, great, funny script, and the real turning point for him from his previous live-action cinemascope style to his more recent full-frame storybook look. Also the soundtrack is awesome.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I saw Fantastic Mr. Fox in the theater and it's easily the film I've heard the most laughter from an audience. The end of Petey's song in particular.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

Skwirl posted:

Just be glad you didn't watch the "director's" cut, the only director's cut of a film I know of where the director insisted on taking his name off the film.

What is the difference?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Boatswain posted:

What is the difference?

It's much longer and has a 30 minute narrated imtro explaining the history of the universe. Your complaints about world building overpowering narrative and pacing apply a thousand fold.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

e: wrong thread!

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Mar 7, 2015

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Magic Hate Ball posted:

It's excellent. Gorgeous cinematography, great, funny script, and the real turning point for him from his previous live-action cinemascope style to his more recent full-frame storybook look. Also the soundtrack is awesome.

Agreed. Fun for all ages

FrostedButts
Dec 30, 2011

Skwirl posted:

That's because it wasn't technically the director's cut, referred to on the DVD as the Extended Version. That version was mainly cut together to balloon out its TV presentation long enough to dissect into two parts. Lynch had nothing to do with that cut, thus his telling of Universal to take his name off that version.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Yaws posted:

Kind of related. This is embarrassing but I have never watched a Wes Anderson movie before. I recently saw Grand Budapest Hotel and thought it was hilarious and amazing.

What are the most "Budapesty" movies in Wes' filmography that I should check out next?

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."

xcore posted:

What are the most "Budapesty" movies in Wes' filmography that I should check out next?

I would say The Life Aquatic or Moonrise Kingdom, but all his films have a pretty similar style (Except maybe Darjeeling Limited? I don't remember that one being as 'fun' as the others, but I haven't seen it for a while). If you're getting into Wes Anderson I would suggest starting with Bottle Rocket and watching them all in order. There's only 8 full-length films to watch, and they're all great.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Would Adaptation and Synecdoche, NY count as meta-fictional narratives? I feel like that's not quite the right term but I don't know what term would be more appropriate or accurate.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

regulargonzalez posted:

Would Adaptation and Synecdoche, NY count as meta-fictional narratives? I feel like that's not quite the right term but I don't know what term would be more appropriate or accurate.

I'd say they would definitely count.

ServoMST3K
Nov 30, 2009

You look like a Cracker Jack box with a bad prize inside
First off my favorite part of Dracula is the exchange of letters. I sincerely wish paper and pen letters were still the main form of communication, but alas no.

What are some good, if overlooked, werewolf flicks? I've seen American werewolf in London, the first Howling, the original Lon Chaney ones, and the Company of Wolves. I know this discussion has been done to death but I'm sure there's some good ones left.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

ServoMST3K posted:

First off my favorite part of Dracula is the exchange of letters. I sincerely wish paper and pen letters were still the main form of communication, but alas no.

What are some good, if overlooked, werewolf flicks? I've seen American werewolf in London, the first Howling, the original Lon Chaney ones, and the Company of Wolves. I know this discussion has been done to death but I'm sure there's some good ones left.

Wolf, featuring Jack Nicholson is great.

I didn't hate Cursed because Christina Ricci but mostly everyone else did.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Dog Soldiers, Wolfen. Silver Bullet is worth a watch if you have any nostalgia for the low-budget Stephen King adaptations that got churned out in the 80s.

ServoMST3K
Nov 30, 2009

You look like a Cracker Jack box with a bad prize inside
I completely forgot about Dog Soldiers, that's easily the best "trapped in a house in the woods and trying to keep monsters out" movie. I'll check out your other suggestions fellows, even though I have a lukewarm fondness for King stuff at best. I also saw Skinwalkers but that was dumber than even the average SyFy original movie.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
It maybe oversells it a bit, but I always enjoyed Ebert's review of Silver Bullets:

quote:

Who is the werewolf? I was able to guess almost the moment he walks onscreen. See how you do. As the werewolf continues his raids, the story centers around the typical family, and especially around the crippled kid, little Marty, whose legs are paralyzed but who is able to use his arms to climb trees and sneak out of the house at night. Marty therefore doesn't need a motorized wheelchair, but the movie goes for some sick jokes as the kid pulls into a gas station to fill his tank.

And then Uncle Red (Gary Busey) gives the kid a great present. A customized, souped-up, hot rod wheelchair named the Silver Bullet (it kills werewolves--get it?). The kid takes off at sixty miles per hour, doing wheelies down the highway, and eventually the movie treats us to the extraordinary sight of the local clergyman in his car, trying to run down the kid in the hot rod wheelchair. This is not an image the movies have previously offered us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

ServoMST3K posted:

While I certainly don't want letters to ever make a comeback, there's some interesting details about letter writing in the Aubrey/Maturin novels. People on ships sending letters, and those on land sending letters to them, would send multiple copies to multiple locations, all on different modes of transport, just in the hopes that they may reach the recipient. Then there were the issues of some letters arriving ridiculously late, or the person arriving home before the letters did, or a person on land having to guess at what ports the ship might land at, and sending letters to all of them in hopes one might find it's way to the right person. Sometimes even sending letters on certain particular ships, since their route might possibly cross paths with the ship they were trying to reach.

Communication seemed like an absolute bitch in an age when there was no guarantee and little chance your message would arrive.