Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Atmus posted:

If they ever went with that design, I demand there be a running gag where people or enemies try to shut her off by hitting the logo.

They'd most likely keep missing and press the wrong thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

There've been similar projects that came up with pitches that are literally just this, and no. It's not. It's like saying "just remove the lightning bolt from Ms Marvel's outfit!" (Either Kamala or Carol). You end up with a big chunk of negative space that looks unfinished. And I know the usual argument is that the epaulette is enough. I disagree.

I actually think the PG design is one of those cases where the other tack has worked. Not changing the costume to suit the character, but going "what kind of person would wear this?" and building a personality around it. Sue Storm having a cut-out to show off her boobs is completely tacky and misrepresenting the character in pursuit of T&A and objectification. Karen Starr just knows she's awesome, and doesn't mind showing a little décolletage. Again, the issue is not simply that some costumes show off bodies. It's the consistent use of them to depict women as sex objects, and the prevalence of those designs that is the issue. If stuff like the current Batgirl or Ms Marvel designs were the norm, then PG and Emma Frost wouldn't even be mentioned.

(Still think the handwraps on the power button outfit are cool as poo poo, though.)

I think this design from Little Girls Are... works for a few reasons. One, it removes the high collar reducing the amount of negative space. I do think the smaller chest also does put your focus more on the epaulette and the chain which also helps.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Should be closer to a half-cape or 3/4 cape so the red doesn't overwhelm the basic outline of her body--it should accent the epaulet and shoulder, a flowing cape over a non-bruiser body reads more as "mage" and not "powerhouse"--but overall I like it a lot.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Mar 7, 2015

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Huntress is good. I still think Power Girl looks like a lady wearing a t-shirt under the cape there.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Timeless Appeal posted:

I think this design from Little Girls Are... works for a few reasons. One, it removes the high collar reducing the amount of negative space. I do think the smaller chest also does put your focus more on the epaulette and the chain which also helps.

Uh, it looks like a t-shirt and briefs.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Timeless Appeal posted:

To me, that looks like she forgot to wear pants.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

To be fair have you seen dude's athletics wear before the late 80s (and even a while after)? Looking like you forgot to wear pants seems to be the point.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Timeless Appeal posted:

Sure Power Girl can rely on her superhuman strength, but this Huntress needs to to do some squats if she wants to be a superhero or a Catholic vigilante.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

mind the walrus posted:

To be fair have you seen dude's athletics wear before the late 80s (and even a while after)? Looking like you forgot to wear pants seems to be the point.

Sure, but modern athletes don't wear it any more and are instead wearing tight-fitting spandex-like materials not only for the superior performance qualities, but also because it does look a lot better, which is important if you're a moving ad campaign.

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.

Timeless Appeal posted:

These two literally look like moms cosplaying.

Although I think it could be fun to read about a soccer mom that's also a superhero. Or supervillain.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Angry Walrus posted:

Although I think it could be fun to read about a soccer mom that's also a superhero. Or supervillain.

Yeah, I'm not feeling the art here. PG's got a serious case of derp eyes, and I don't even know where Huntress's right arm is.

With regards to PG's cleavage: she regularly rolls her eyes at dudes staring at her chest, during Conner/Palmiotti run. That never sat well with me, as a breast-haver . If you don't want guys staring at your chest, maybe don't wear a boob window? Just a thought, Karen.

There's a mention during one Birds of Prey issue about Huntress doing the bare midriff action. Oracle, scoffing a bit, comments on the new outfit, and Huntress counters with something along the lines of "Hey, I worked hard for these abs. And it distracts guys while I'm kicking the poo poo out of 'em." Now, that, I can sorta get behind. Woman's got a point. (Though, as I think I mentioned earlier in this thread, being half-nekkid in Gotham winter seems stupid.)

And I would also like to see a soccer mom hero/villain.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Sue Richards sometimes gets to be that, depending on the writer.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Decius posted:

Sue Richards sometimes gets to be that, depending on the writer.

Soccer moms don't really look like supermodels.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Angry Walrus posted:

They're supposed to look like adult versions of literally children cosplaying.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Not all of them but I've seen a lot of stop-in-your-tracks hot soccer moms out there, especially in the realm of trophy wives. Just chill at a suburban Starbucks for a few days and you'll see them.

Besides if a qualifier to dressing up like a superhero was that you had to look like a model that'd disallow 99% of cosplayers in history.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Huntress looks like she was cajoled into this whole thing by her friend and is now seriously regreting the choices that led to this moment. PowerGirl at least has a sort of 'alright, I'm doing this!' air about her.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Lurdiak posted:

I always find it kind of weird that characters like Superman look really buff. His strength is magic (or whatever), how did he even build that muscle when he can lift a truck without effort? Super heroes really should look more normal, unless they're the Batman type where they don't actually have powers.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

In Superman's case I think it's mostly because using his cells as a solar battery (or whatever) creates optimal biology or some poo poo, but then that'd mean all the other Kryptonians wouldn't be so buff. Maybe Kryptonians in general are naturally buff? I don't know.

What weirds me out more is seeing characters like Tony Stark drawn as buff, which was a large trend until RDJ became a thing, and even then RDJ is still very fit in the role.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

it distracts guys while I'm kicking the poo poo out of 'em."

Ugh, are people still using that to justify the costumes?
http://oglaf.com/newmodelarmy/

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

That's why I love Quietly's All Star Superman look, he's built but not super lean and bodybuilder toned. As Clark he can slouch and he actually looks chubby making it even less likely that anybody is going to make the connection.

Fits the original circus strongman style for Superman too, since most of the classic circus strongmen didn't have amazing muscle definition, they were just massive slabs of men.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Travis343 posted:

That's why I love Quietly's All Star Superman look, he's built but not super lean and bodybuilder toned. As Clark he can slouch and he actually looks chubby making it even less likely that anybody is going to make the connection.

Fits the original circus strongman style for Superman too, since most of the classic circus strongmen didn't have amazing muscle definition, they were just massive slabs of men.

Look at how Wayne Boring and Curt Swan drew Supes back in the day as well: there were some suggestions of biceps and abs, but he was much more on the "beefy" side of things than ripped and cut. (Admittedly, Swan did switch to a more muscleman-looking Superman in the 70s and 80s).

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I think Reeve really cemented the leaner Superman.

With good reason, because while the production values on that suit doesn't hold up to scrutiny, GODDAMN does he look good.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Not really costume related, but his acting in those films completely convinced me someone could not know Clark and Superman are the same person. His Clark Kent was amazing.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

Not really costume related, but his acting in those films completely convinced me someone could not know Clark and Superman are the same person. His Clark Kent was amazing.

Same. Reeve was loving awesome.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Yeah, I'm not feeling the art here. PG's got a serious case of derp eyes, and I don't even know where Huntress's right arm is.

With regards to PG's cleavage: she regularly rolls her eyes at dudes staring at her chest, during Conner/Palmiotti run. That never sat well with me, as a breast-haver . If you don't want guys staring at your chest, maybe don't wear a boob window? Just a thought, Karen.

There's a mention during one Birds of Prey issue about Huntress doing the bare midriff action. Oracle, scoffing a bit, comments on the new outfit, and Huntress counters with something along the lines of "Hey, I worked hard for these abs. And it distracts guys while I'm kicking the poo poo out of 'em." Now, that, I can sorta get behind. Woman's got a point. (Though, as I think I mentioned earlier in this thread, being half-nekkid in Gotham winter seems stupid.)

I took it more as PG going "OK, they're pretty awesome, can we move on- no? You're still staring? Really?".

And you may be the first person I've ever seen defend that Jim Lee Huntress design. Power Girl you can at least argue doesn't need protection, so the outfit's purely fashion. Helena is just a really fit lady. She kinda needs protection, not a big sign saying "SHOOT/STAB HERE".

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Gaz-L posted:

I took it more as PG going "OK, they're pretty awesome, can we move on- no? You're still staring? Really?".

And you may be the first person I've ever seen defend that Jim Lee Huntress design. Power Girl you can at least argue doesn't need protection, so the outfit's purely fashion. Helena is just a really fit lady. She kinda needs protection, not a big sign saying "SHOOT/STAB HERE".
I always disagree with that line of argument, despite Dark Knight Returns. None of the regular Bat people in comics have ever worn anything that looks even a little bit protective. Covering your abs with fantasy Wayne tech industrial polymers that show the definition of your six pack doesn't make any more "real world" sense to me than Hawkman not dying basically instantly. The reason Batman and Huntress don't need to wear armor is that, not being dense or retarded, they are the Goddamn Batman and Goddamn Huntress. They dodge bullets on a regular basis as well as knives, ninja throwing stars, flamethrowers that singe the top of their mask's ears without affecting their hair, cryonic lasers and everything else in the world. They don't need "protection" for the same reason Indiana Jones doesn't; they're larger than life action heroes in a universe where that is a legitimate thing to be.

Batman is just as invulnerable to bullets as Superman, it's just that his invulnerability has different SFX. I'm fine with Hakguy's bare sleeves, too.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I've always been way more into the dodging/misdirection of bullets method of Why Batman Doesn't Get Shot. Like in Year One when the crooked cop is testifying how they shot Batman and nothing happened, the art is showing that he was hunched way down and they're shooting his cape because they can't see where his body is in the darkness.

I think as much as I love the Burton Batman, it started this trend of Batman's suit being bulletproof that's resulted in the Halo armor Batsuits of the Nolan movies, or the Iron Man but black power armors from the Arkham games, which are all designs I just hate.

Thats me though, I guess some people like Robo-Batman.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Timeless Appeal posted:

I think Reeve really cemented the leaner Superman.

With good reason, because while the production values on that suit doesn't hold up to scrutiny, GODDAMN does he look good.

They actually hired David Prowse as a personal trainer to put muscle on Reeves for that role because he was too skinny looking. You may know Prowse as the 6'7" guy behind this armor.

He was also a pretty good bodybuilder.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Travis343 posted:

I've always been way more into the dodging/misdirection of bullets method of Why Batman Doesn't Get Shot. Like in Year One when the crooked cop is testifying how they shot Batman and nothing happened, the art is showing that he was hunched way down and they're shooting his cape because they can't see where his body is in the darkness.

I think as much as I love the Burton Batman, it started this trend of Batman's suit being bulletproof that's resulted in the Halo armor Batsuits of the Nolan movies, or the Iron Man but black power armors from the Arkham games, which are all designs I just hate.

Although he can't take bullets in the Arkham games.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Why the gently caress don't they just shoot him in the goddamn mouth?

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Say Nothing posted:

They actually hired David Prowse as a personal trainer to put muscle on Reeves for that role because he was too skinny looking. You may know Prowse as the 6'7" guy behind this armor.

Mother of god has he aged poorly. :gonk:

When 79 years old you reach, look as good you will not, hmm?

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
He's also banned from Star Wars conventions for bitching too much about George Lucas.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/film-news/7896177/Darth-Vader-actor-David-Prowse-banned-for-annoying-director-George-Lucas.html

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Benny the Snake posted:

Why the gently caress don't they just shoot him in the goddamn mouth?

People are trained to aim for the centre of mass because you can't accurately hit small targets unless you're Deadshot or Green Arrow or some other fictional character.

There's also the line about the bright symbol on the chest being an obvious target that is heavily armoured.

Wolvorine
Nov 15, 2011

I am not drawing that.

Travis343 posted:

Funny, I'd come to think that was just me. Stay strong fellow Robo-Batman disliker. :respek:

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The Injustice suit is the worst thing I've ever seen, honestly. He's got these silver plates everywhere. It's like George Clooney's suit from Batman & Robin except now for some reason it's considered cool and badass and not completely terrible.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Say Nothing posted:

You know what's weird? Film adaptations of Dr. Doom suck when Darth Vader exists.

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan

Aphrodite posted:

Although he can't take bullets in the Arkham games.

He gets straight blasted by Two Face early in Arkham City at mid-ish range, but it was on the chest and it shows some weave or plating under it. I accepted that because he would probably have the best armor where he's most likely to take a hit.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Timeless Appeal posted:

You know what's weird? Film adaptations of Dr. Doom suck when Darth Vader exists.

That's because producers after 1998 cannot wrap their heads around a villain who is both old-school campy and scary as hell, and is in-fact scarier because everyone can see how ludicrously camp he is but anyone who points it out invites painful and immediate death upon themselves and anyone they ever cared about. Doom requires a skilled hand, as befits his lineage and status as Doom.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

drat y'all just reminded me of the lovely FF film Doom and it's really bumming me out. Dr. Doom is my favorite Marvel villain of all time, and every film version I've seen so far has been really really awful.

I keep hoping the new FF's ''computer hacker doom'' is an elaborate troll designed to piss everyone off until the film debuts and the reality is SUPER RAD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

NotAnArtist posted:

drat y'all just reminded me of the lovely FF film Doom and it's really bumming me out. Dr. Doom is my favorite Marvel villain of all time, and every film version I've seen so far has been really really awful.

I keep hoping the new FF's ''computer hacker doom'' is an elaborate troll designed to piss everyone off until the film debuts and the reality is SUPER RAD

It makes sense to me. They aren't planning on making Doom magic, he's the same age as Reed roughly, and Reed is at most in his mid twenties in the film. Evil Genius in 2015 means computer hacker. The Doom we know and love from the comics first appeared decades after Reed graduated from college. People forget that originally Reed was a WW2 veteran. He was in his mid to late 30's at the youngest in Fantastic Four #1.

• Locked thread