Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

FGC players strongly dislike using controllers that aren't there own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
Also that means the venue/TO has to provide a bunch of controllers.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
The Venue could require the use of Gamecube controllers, if it's really going to be a problem. Most smash players who participate in tournaments use a GC controller anyway.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

A few rolls of aluminum foil is fairly cheap though :haw:

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
I could pick my controller out from a crowd based on cheeto stains and the stench of urine alone.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

what the gently caress

Chakram
Jun 3, 2010

by Shine

ChaosArgate posted:

It's really annoying trying to keep a pro controller unsynced if you're not just holding it out at all times. I stuffed it in my bag once and I made absolutely sure it wasn't going to get activated but it activated anyway. Then I stuffed it in my hoodie pocket but it activated in there too.

Does the Pro Controller have a gyroscope inside it? It might be reading any movement at all as input.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!

Chaltab posted:

The Venue could require the use of Gamecube controllers, if it's really going to be a problem. Most smash players who participate in tournaments use a GC controller anyway.

This is the simplest solution, but a lot of players use it (including some of our better ones) and with the gamecube adapter so scarce for so long a lot of players picked up the Pro and stuck with it. It isn't really fair to ban the current generation official controller from tournaments. Most people in MvC3 or SF4 use fight sticks but 360/PS3 controllers aren't banned.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Chakram posted:

Does the Pro Controller have a gyroscope inside it? It might be reading any movement at all as input.

Nope. At least, there aren't any games that use the controller's gyroscope if it exists, but most likely it doesn't have one.

I do know that you can "wake up" the gamepad by moving it around, though.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Chakram posted:

Nope. Literally any of the face buttons, D-Pad or + or - buttons turn the controller on.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Theta Zero posted:

Nope. At least, there aren't any games that use the controller's gyroscope if it exists, but most likely it doesn't have one.

I do know that you can "wake up" the gamepad by moving it around, though.

No you can't?

Edit: I just shook mine like a british nanny and nothing.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Deviant posted:

No you can't?

Edit: I just shook mine like a british nanny and nothing.

moving the gamepad turns off the screen auto-dim when that turns on after so much inactive time.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Dieting Hippo posted:

moving the gamepad turns off the screen auto-dim when that turns on after so much inactive time.

Yeah that's what I meant. Although thank you for the mental image of somebody violently shaking their Wii U gamepad trying to turn it on.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Louisgod posted:

I could pick my controller out from a crowd based on cheeto stains and the stench of urine alone.

:stare:

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Theta Zero posted:

Yeah that's what I meant. Although thank you for the mental image of somebody violently shaking their Wii U gamepad trying to turn it on.

Oh, I was shaking my pro pad.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Jusy sayin, as a pro smasher, your controller should be worn in like a baseball glove and uniquely yours.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

FactsAreUseless posted:

Coin pocket? Coin pocket?! You just don't get it! If I go to a Smash tournament I can be guaranteed to walk out stripped of my small valuables, my dignity... and my heart... Mew2King...

Especially your $742.00 USD

e: My pro-controller (FCC ID POO-R237999) has a power button next to the sync button that will cancel a sync and can be held in to prevent the face buttons from turning the controller on. Its got a really thin hole on it though, so maybe just hand out some toothpicks at tournaments?

zolthorg fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Mar 5, 2015

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3G6o9vK9HI

This is a cute video.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

It's the worst.

Chakram
Jun 3, 2010

by Shine

It's the best.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

zolthorg posted:

Especially your $742.00 USD

e: My pro-controller (FCC ID POO-R237999) has a power button next to the sync button that will cancel a sync and can be held in to prevent the face buttons from turning the controller on. Its got a really thin hole on it though, so maybe just hand out some toothpicks at tournaments?

That's a reset button, not a power button, and doesn't do any good to prevent pocket/bag syncs.

I'm waiting for a tri-wing to come in the mail before I start loving with mine.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Deviant posted:

That's a reset button, not a power button, and doesn't do any good to prevent pocket/bag syncs.

I'm waiting for a tri-wing to come in the mail before I start loving with mine.

Pretty sure the reset button removes any pairing. It does on my wiimotes anyways.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Sudo Echo posted:

Pretty sure the reset button removes any pairing.

DEPLOY THE PAPER CLIPS!

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Deviant posted:

DEPLOY THE PAPER CLIPS!

Say that while making sure someone doesn't steal your paperclips :colbert:

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

"Appended to its own quotation is false" appended to its own quotation is false.

Dizz posted:

As if you can stop me. All the paperclips will be mine, and I will pile them in a cavern under a mountain, roll around in them, then sleep in them for a few decades.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Dizz posted:

Players will be expected to bring their own paper clips!

Players who do not work 9-5 office jobs can purchase a paper clip on site for 9.95.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

I might be the worst partner in teams of all time. Sorry Allie bef!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDect1gu1cM

Glimm fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Mar 7, 2015

Gaffle
Aug 23, 2013

sWAg

Glimm posted:

I might be the worst partner in teams of all time. Sorry Allie!

You actually did really well though. Nice pk thunder double kill

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Gaffle posted:

You actually did really well though. Nice pk thunder double kill

Haha, it was pretty lucky - I was more apologizing for the 3 team kills :xd:

Seriously the most epic ending, in real time I didn't know what happened (I thought I thundered into a bomb or something)

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Glimm posted:

I might be the worst partner in teams of all time. Sorry Allie!

I think bef was your teammate in this one, we didn't become partners until after. it's okay though, I appreciate your enthusiasm for Thunder :japan:

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Reiley posted:

I think bef was your teammate in this one, we didn't become partners until after. it's okay though, I appreciate your enthusiasm for Thunder :japan:

Doh, I.. can't read or remember things

Glimm fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Mar 7, 2015

Space Cob
Jan 24, 2006

a pilot on fire is not fit to fly
Are there any equipment pieces you can only ever get once and never have drop again?

I've been ignoring all the equipment this entire time but just now realized you can sell them. Is there anything that I should not sell as I would never be able to get it again?

Gaffle
Aug 23, 2013

sWAg

Some equipment effects need to be unlocked via challenges like the smooth lander badge, but once you get those the effect can also be found on random drops.

Space Cob
Jan 24, 2006

a pilot on fire is not fit to fly
That makes sense. Good to know. Thanks.

(Time to get rich and spend the money on nothing at all)

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

You honestly will get more money by surviving Crazy Orders for 10+ rounds and choosing the gold after that. Make sure to use a pass!

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Waverhouse
Jun 8, 2009

A highly sophisticated simpleton.
poo poo son my 3 characters are all E tier. I know they're not great but E tier I mean god drat.

Also someone needs to link me some high level pikachu play because I do not understand that placement at all.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Ouch, I'm never really expecting Robin to be placed too high, but lower than Dr. Mario?

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
Now you need to wonder what came first: the oversaturation of Diddy Kong players or the people saying Diddy Kong is top tier?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ChaosArgate posted:

Ouch, I'm never really expecting Robin to be placed too high, but lower than Dr. Mario?

The doc has an actual combo game.

I like Robin but Arcfire into two forward airs is about the best you can get ever

• Locked thread