Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Twelve by Pies posted:

God Blitzball is dull as hell in X-2 and really irritating. I raise one stat, another goes down. I raise that stat, and yet another goes down. How the hell am I supposed to get my guys able to do anything useful? Why did they get rid of the perfectly fine leveling system from X?

Presumably because after like two games it became completely impossible to lose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

So they're ripping off Earthbound?

You being a Light Warrior too is from the ending of Final Fantasy 1 so if anyone is ripping somebody else off here it's Earthbound.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007
Nice to see so many positive impressions from the people who got to play FFXV. Only negatives I've seen people talk about were the frame rate and the lack of anti-aliasing.

To be honest, even though the team says they're gonna try to get the game to 1080/30, I'm thinking a more probable scenario (sadly) is that they reach the 1080 but the game isn't a constant 30 and has regular dips in the large open areas with lots of enemies. Don't know why, just a hunch I have. I'd love to be proven wrong, though.

The best part to me is that none of the impressions I've read have said anything negative about the characters. I'm sure they probably just have lowered standards for what makes a good character in a Final Fantasy game after the last major one being XIII, but it's hopeful at least.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I just dodged 200 lightning bolts and now have all of the celestial weapons. There is no trophy for that, just an enduring sense of shame.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

bloodychill posted:

I just dodged 200 lightning bolts and now have all of the celestial weapons. There is no trophy for that, just an enduring sense of shame.

Pretty sure there should be a trophy for both those things.

Plus the sense of shame.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Leper Residue posted:

Pretty sure there should be a trophy for both those things.

Plus the sense of shame.

There's a trophy for collecting all the Celestial Weapons, but there isn't one for getting them to full power. Most of the things you do to get the sigils have trophies associated with them though, I know dodging 200 bolts is definitely a trophy.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Twelve by Pies posted:

God Blitzball is dull as hell in X-2 and really irritating. I raise one stat, another goes down. I raise that stat, and yet another goes down. How the hell am I supposed to get my guys able to do anything useful? Why did they get rid of the perfectly fine leveling system from X?

I think the stat gains are based around the number after the colon, so, for example you have END 10: 1 and BLK 10: 5 and use the training that raises BLK but lowers END, and expand 10 points on it - this should make the END lower by 1 point (10 x 0.1), but raise BLK by 5 points (10 x 0.5); at least, that's how I always understood the relation between the stat changes, because otherwise it'd make no sense.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Do you even get anything out of X-2's Blitzball? I know it doesn't tick up your completion percentage, and thank God for that.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

Do you even get anything out of X-2's Blitzball? I know it doesn't tick up your completion percentage, and thank God for that.

You can win an AP Egg, I don't remember any other interesting items.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Even Kotakus impressions of the FF15 alpha demo (because that's what it seems to be) are absolutely glowing http://kotaku.com/holy-poo poo-i-just-played-final-fantasy-xv-1690073560

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I saw some XV gameplay at PAX East and whenever Prompto is in a fight he does a billion stupid combat rolls and falls all over the place, it's great.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

billy cuts posted:

Here's the link to the survey -- http://t.co/X38kOFmngc

Apparently Squeenix doesn't know about the 3DS and the WiiU.

Edit: or curtain call.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Mar 8, 2015

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

quote:

Defending costs MP. So does warping. So do techniques. This is critical information, because one of the most interesting things about Final Fantasy XV's combat is that when Noctis runs out of MP, he enters a state called Stasis in which he's crippled, unable to even run until you get his mana back up. Mana points regenerate automatically, but it's very, very slow—unless you have Noctis take cover behind a rock or other obstacle, where he'll take a breather and gain back MP faster.

So all the worry about auto-dodging making it too easy is alleviated. You rely on it too much, you'll get poo poo on.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tae posted:

So all the worry about auto-dodging making it too easy is alleviated. You rely on it too much, you'll get poo poo on.

I'm curious to see how people respond to this. I suppose it depends on how forgiving it is but I foresee the potential for a lot of "gently caress you Square-Enix, I bought FFXV not Hiding Behind A Rock Simulator XV" or whatever.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Szurumbur posted:

I think the stat gains are based around the number after the colon, so, for example you have END 10: 1 and BLK 10: 5 and use the training that raises BLK but lowers END, and expand 10 points on it - this should make the END lower by 1 point (10 x 0.1), but raise BLK by 5 points (10 x 0.5); at least, that's how I always understood the relation between the stat changes, because otherwise it'd make no sense.

I haven't figured out what the numbers beside character's names mean. When I go to Train everyone starts out at 1:0 but when I start putting points in a stat, it changes to say, 2:(number of points I assigned). I do know that the blue numbers beside the stats mean "You can put this many points into this stat without generating Fatigue." So if END has 5 beside it, I can put 5 points in it and still have 0 FTG. I also know that RNG and REC seem to go up/down at a 1:1 ratio...sometimes. When I'm training Paine's SHT and I put 7 points in it, REC will often go down by 7. But sometimes it doesn't go down at all. I also know that if I train up REC then it's always a 1:1 ratio of points in to REC (and RNG) gain.

With characters like Paine, who's only there to catch passes and shoot goals, it's pretty simple. I dump as many points as I can into SHT and raise that a bunch, which usually causes my REC to go to 0, and then I just train up REC near the end of training. I also raise END without any worries, because I don't care about any of Paine's stats but REC, SHT, and END. Same with Shinra, all I care about is CAT and RNG so I don't even look at the other stats. For other characters though, it's a pain in the rear end because I want them to have good stats all around...but raising anything but ATK causes some other stat to go down and I can't figure out how you're supposed to manipulate the points so that I can actually have stats raise in general instead of just "Hey you raised your ATK, your BLK went down! Wanna raise BLK? There goes your RNG! Trying to get your RNG back up? Ha, now your attack is back down!"

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I'm curious to see how people respond to this. I suppose it depends on how forgiving it is but I foresee the potential for a lot of "gently caress you Square-Enix, I bought FFXV not Hiding Behind A Rock Simulator XV" or whatever.

I'm sure Ethers, for the first time ever, will be a regularly used item depending on the cost of them.

comedy choice, Tabata being internet savvy will make one of the guys comment if you hide behind to recover too much.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tae posted:

I'm sure Ethers, for the first time ever, will be a regularly used item depending on the cost of them.

I could see that going the opposite way and having them be plentiful enough that you can just chung them and facetank.

I'm certainly not trying to say it will be bad or anything, I'm just curious to see how they balance it to avoid the problem of too much recovery downtime or too little and thus basic invincibility.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Kurtofan posted:

or the Vita, but they know about WiiU game though

Mario Kart and Smash were on there too.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I hope every enemy has a special parry death animation, kinda like Revengence.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Twelve by Pies posted:

I haven't figured out what the numbers beside character's names mean. When I go to Train everyone starts out at 1:0 but when I start putting points in a stat, it changes to say, 2:(number of points I assigned). I do know that the blue numbers beside the stats mean "You can put this many points into this stat without generating Fatigue." So if END has 5 beside it, I can put 5 points in it and still have 0 FTG. I also know that RNG and REC seem to go up/down at a 1:1 ratio...sometimes. When I'm training Paine's SHT and I put 7 points in it, REC will often go down by 7. But sometimes it doesn't go down at all. I also know that if I train up REC then it's always a 1:1 ratio of points in to REC (and RNG) gain.

With characters like Paine, who's only there to catch passes and shoot goals, it's pretty simple. I dump as many points as I can into SHT and raise that a bunch, which usually causes my REC to go to 0, and then I just train up REC near the end of training. I also raise END without any worries, because I don't care about any of Paine's stats but REC, SHT, and END. Same with Shinra, all I care about is CAT and RNG so I don't even look at the other stats. For other characters though, it's a pain in the rear end because I want them to have good stats all around...but raising anything but ATK causes some other stat to go down and I can't figure out how you're supposed to manipulate the points so that I can actually have stats raise in general instead of just "Hey you raised your ATK, your BLK went down! Wanna raise BLK? There goes your RNG! Trying to get your RNG back up? Ha, now your attack is back down!"

The entire system is far too complicated, especially with non-controllable players being introduced, so I never really tried to understand it - and the little I think I understand is most likely incorrect, it seems. They went too far trying to make the mini-game complicated,

Still, because of that scouting out new players is my preferred method of improving the team.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

billy cuts posted:

Here's the link to the survey -- http://t.co/X38kOFmngc

Gonna go out on a limb and say that the only reason Brave Frontier is an option for games you currently play is because Alim is making a Final Fantasy game for mobile.

I still want some new Secret of Mana game(s). They could even use the same control scheme but let you operate the ring menu via the other analog stick so you wouldn't have to have the game paused. Toss in a button or two that can be set to use a selected item/spell and you're good to go. No more pausing every few seconds to have the Sprite destroy everything with magic.

Kurtofan posted:

Edit: or curtain call.

I think they just lumped poo poo together. Like Pokemon Y was liked but not Pokemon X, when Putting it as "Pokemon X/Y" (or OR/AS) would've made more sense.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I said I liked Dragon Quest best and there was no second page of follow-up questions specific to the franchise. When asked if there's anything else I want them to know, I told them that video game writing does not have to be stupid or creepy, that turn-based games are fine, that Dragon Quest titles would sell in America if they'd only advertise them, and that I like Wan Hazmer.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

MrLonghair posted:

Even Kotakus impressions of the FF15 alpha demo (because that's what it seems to be) are absolutely glowing http://kotaku.com/holy-poo poo-i-just-played-final-fantasy-xv-1690073560

I don't know if I'd call it glowing, so much as optimistic.

kotaku posted:

The short version: Final Fantasy XV is full of smart ideas, and although the tropes are all there—phoenix downs, gysahl greens, peppy victory music—it feels totally different than any Final Fantasy before it, more akin to Skyrim or Far Cry than any JRPG we've seen to date. But can Square Enix's tech live up to their vision? The demo I played was janky, peppered with distracting jaggies, and full of framerate drops that made exploring FFXV's open world feel like more of a chore than it ever should have been.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I told Square that FF9 was my favorite, that they should make a real sequel to FFT, and to give Yoshi-P more money.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
It's not a real fft sequel unless there are graphic throat slitting animations.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

Oxxidation posted:

The HD version gives you a trophy for winning a single match. I did that then said fuckit to messing with it further.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Kingtheninja posted:

It's not a real fft sequel unless there are graphic throat slitting animations.

With how hot Game of Thrones is right now, a true Matsuno-lead Final Fantasy Tactics game would probably do well.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I think any game released on steam would do well. How about the very basic thing of releasing the PSP port to Steam.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Schwartzcough posted:

I don't know if I'd call it glowing, so much as optimistic.

The last thing I want in a JRPG is for it to be compared to Skyrim or Far Cry.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I've been playing FFXIII for most of my afternoon and I'm on Orphan now. Taking a break before I finish it, and then the real game begins

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
A nice gathering of FF15 EmpDusc impressions links at http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1006075

http://www.gamespot.com/videos/final-fantasy-xv-exploring-and-hunting/2300-6423776/ "if you don't hunt, you eat toast"
http://www.gamespot.com/videos/how-final-fantasy-xv-combat-works/2300-6423753/ great Magitek soldier footage
And another two B-roll, combat demo tutorial + exploration

e: Those who have played the demo say the mad blurry footage and screens are Xbone, mistakingly labeled by some as non-Duscae build 1080p footage is PS4. FF13 all over again

e: Dengeki's got 14 minutes of non-B roll footage https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wzmn38NVzXA (ends with Behemoth fight, seems to indicate possibility to give commands to the others for item use)

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Mar 8, 2015

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Tae posted:

I think any game released on steam would do well. How about the very basic thing of releasing the PSP port to Steam.

I don't know if you have played FFT lately, but it didn't even look that great on a tiny PSP screen. Don't get me wrong, I love the game. I just would not want it displayed on a 50" TV.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I started playing FFXII IZJS, and now the Rabanastre music is going to be stuck in my head for the next five years or so. Send help :gonk:

I'm liking the gameplay changes a lot, but the first few hours of XII are still boring and awful because nothing happens. Should've just cut out all that farting around in Rabanastre and the desert, and started the game from when you sneak into the palace and meet Balthier and Fran. Garamsythe Waterway would still be terrible, though.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Ragequit posted:

I don't know if you have played FFT lately, but it didn't even look that great on a tiny PSP screen. Don't get me wrong, I love the game. I just would not want it displayed on a 50" TV.

It looked great on max AA on PPSSPP.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Ragequit posted:

FFT looks pretty drat good on my iPad mini.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I forgot that Orphan will just randomly KO party members if you don't have death resist on them. That's really annoying when you get a game over if your leader dies

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
I told SE to make new IPs, dammit

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I pretty much told them that if they're going to make remakes, don't just crap out cash grabs on appstores. Put some effort in, at least. FFIII and IVDS have their issues, but I'd still like to see more remakes in that general way over "Subpar RPG Maker graphics".

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

I forgot that Orphan will just randomly KO party members if you don't have death resist on them. That's really annoying when you get a game over if your leader dies

Easiest way around that is to play as someone who isn't your sentinel. If you provoke Orphan, he'll always cast Progenitorial Wrath on them. If you are playing the sentinel, just use Mediguard and don't provoke, you'll more or less get the same effect and he'll spread it out over your party (which is still a 1/3 chance of arbitrarily getting hosed but it's better than nothing).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Evil Fluffy posted:

FFT looks pretty drat good on my iPad mini.

They redid the graphics slightly on iOS.