Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Irish Joe posted:

Women "sew" pants. Men "sow" chaos.

poo poo. Did I say I wrote it? I meant I saw it somewhere and agreed with it. Yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012

In It For The Tank posted:

Yes. Here's the exchange in ACOK:

While it is conceivable that Varys is lying, or was himself the whisperer (although that doesn't make much sense since Varys wanted to deescalate the conflict to give time for his own plans to come to fruition), I feel like it is probably the truth because it fits so well with Littlefinger's constant attempts to escalate the war. It only make sense that he kickstarted the whole thing from the very beginning by turning Stannis (and subsequently Jon Arryn) against the Lannisters and sowing the seeds for the war in the first place.

Even though he may be responsible, I have trouble believing that Stannis started his investigation on Littlefinger's personal say so. It would have to have been hinted to him somehow. It may also be that Littlefinger didn't set anything in motion, and simply took advantage of the opportunity the investigation and the suspicion around it would give him.

This all goes back to the question of how much of this Littlefinger actually planned in advance, and how much is him improvising and adapting to circumstances, which will probably never be answered. My preferred version is that Baelish made most this up as he went along, but that might be because it seems more satisfying than the alternative. Littlefinger's plots constantly work while no one in the entire series has a long term plan that goes off without a hitch- anything that you think about too far ahead of time in asoiaf blows up in your face.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
I don't think Littlefinger said "hey Stannis, the royal children are incest babies". He just implanted the idea in Stannis' head. All he would have to do is remark that the royal children really take after their mother and then mention how strange it is because Robert's bastards look identical to him. Littlefinger definitely know Mya Stone and is probably familiar with Edirc Storm (and could probably also point to Stannis' own daughter because she has the Baratheon look) so any comment would not look too out of order and would be enough to set the wheels in Stannis' head turning.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
Synospis for the first three eps.

Seems like they changed Ellaria Sand's character massively from the books, from wanting to keep peace to wanting vengeance like the Martells. Sucks, Ellaria in the books gives a great speech about revenge that really does make her stand out from the rest in Dorne.

Also, looks like Stannis will still offer Jon legitimacy in the show.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
No Arya scenes in the premiere, I guess.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

quote:

In King’s Landing, Queen Margaery enjoys her new husband

It's happening. :dance:

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

quote:

Stannis tempts Jon. An adviser tempts Dany.

Sexy.

quote:

Ellaria Sand seeks revenge for Oberyn’s death.

This is disappointing. I was hoping they would preserve Ellaria's characterization in the books where she rejects the cycle of venegance that is destroying Dorne.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I wouldn't base judgment on a tv synopsis.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

webmeister posted:

I still can't believe so many people didn't get that a guy who spends his entire life walking in and out of the ocean had the nickname "damp hair"

In my defense, myself and everyone else I knew that didn't make the connection saw the name and immediately read in as Dam-fair.

ShaqDiesel
Mar 21, 2013

BillBear posted:

Synospis for the first three eps.

Seems like they changed Ellaria Sand's character massively from the books, from wanting to keep peace to wanting vengeance like the Martells. Sucks, Ellaria in the books gives a great speech about revenge that really does make her stand out from the rest in Dorne.

Also, looks like Stannis will still offer Jon legitimacy in the show.

What is the "long bridge of volantis"?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

ShaqDiesel posted:

What is the "long bridge of volantis"?

The bridge in Volantis that goes over the Rhoyne.

ShaqDiesel
Mar 21, 2013

Lycus posted:

The bridge in Volantis that goes over the Rhoyne.

Oh right. It separates the good and bad sides of town.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

In It For The Tank posted:

This is disappointing. I was hoping they would preserve Ellaria's characterization in the books where she rejects the cycle of venegance that is destroying Dorne.

Not too surprising, though, since Arienne was ditched. They might have another character take on that role, however.

Kind of excited at the new Tyrion/Varys interactions we'll be having... even if Varys' loyalties will be changed from the books.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

Ballz posted:

Not too surprising, though, since Arienne was ditched. They might have another character take on that role, however.

Kind of excited at the new Tyrion/Varys interactions we'll be having... even if Varys' loyalties will be changed from the books.

What do you mean; he's still loyal to the mermen in both.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.
Speaking of which, mer banners are rumoured to be in.

Oh, and someone, presumably Varys, kills Tommen. Sweet.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Each episode after Varys leaves Tyrion should end with Varys giving a speech to someone before killing them.

Anonymous John
Mar 8, 2002

meristem posted:

Where is this coming from?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

As a show watcher I hate all the magic poo poo and like all the politics poo poo it's a shame Dany didn't die outside the city at the beginning.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Groovelord Neato posted:

As a show watcher I hate all the magic poo poo and like all the politics poo poo it's a shame Dany didn't die outside the city at the beginning.

That's a shame.

Darth Ballz
Apr 30, 2003
Feel the burn

Groovelord Neato posted:

Play Crusader Kings II; that will help with your problem.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Can someone copy/paste those episode synopses? That website has everything hidden behind a "hey you're running Adblock, turn it off to see the content" filter :argh:

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

They're in the OP.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

meristem posted:

Do you have a source for this?

Interesting if true because they must be jumping way ahead of the book timeline in this season, or moving in their own direction.

I eagerly await Jon getting stabbed to death as the hopeful Episode 9 cliffhanger ending.

Anonymous John
Mar 8, 2002
Aegon is the most likely candidate to kill Tommen in TWOW or ADOS. So if Aegon is cut from the show, someone else needs to commit the deed.

Who would take over the Iron Throne would be a mystery though. Margaery's unborn child, assuming that Tommen gets her preggo?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Anonymous John posted:

Aegon is the most likely candidate to kill Tommen in TWOW or ADOS. So if Aegon is cut from the show, someone else needs to commit the deed.

Who would take over the Iron Throne would be a mystery though. Margaery's unborn child, assuming that Tommen gets her preggo?

Or Myrcella, appropriately nicknamed "Lady Not-Appearing-In-This-Season" (until this season when she does show up).

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.

Anonymous John posted:

Myrcella. Assuming she bites it, then it goes to Stannis. Then Shireen.

Interesting that Jaime couldn't take the throne (Kingsguard), Tyrion couldn't (fleeing from a death sentence), and Cersei couldn't (all that poo poo with the church).

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
Real question is who the Church wants to back if Tommen dies. Because they hold effective political power in the city , their support matters, so that means Stannis and his support of the Red God are disqualified. Plus I imagine you become disinherited if you raise up in arms against the "legitimate" sitting King. Just because its, in a dry legal fashion, true Stannis should get it if Tommen and Myrcella die, there's no chance it'll happen without force of arms.

It's probably important that ADWD focused a little more than you'd expect on the Septa with Aegon, because I think he's angling to get Church support. No doubt the High Sparrow would be happy to be without the Lannisters and their shaky claim completely if he can help it.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

Ross posted:

Do you have a source for this?
Only a fan source who's been proven real once or twice in the past. See WOTW for details. I exaggerated the certainty for effect, sorry.

Still, is there a single one of us who didn't think Tommen wouldn't bite it in S6 at the latest? That's why it actually seems believable to me.

--Admittedly, I also kind of like it, for several reasons. First, if Varys wants to break the Lannister-Tyrell alliance and have another bit of transition chaos, killing the glue that holds it together is a very good way to do it. Second, the reason Mike N Eich detailed. With Tommen dead, Myrcella in Dorne, and both queens in cells, the Faith gets to pick the next ruler. Since they'll get to pick between the isolated Cersei, who'll probably want to go to war for Myrcella with Dorne, and the Tyrells, who could, theoretically, propose another double marriage (Loras -> Myrcella, Margaery -> Trystane), that's not a choice at all. So, I'll love to see Cersei's reaction to that.

And then, finally, there's the option that show Myrcella decides that she wants the throne for herself, but backed by Dorne - without Cersei or the Tyrells involved. Show Myrcella-Trystane could be books' Aegon-Arianne.

Plenty of opportunity for chaos all around, is all I'm saying. So I'm hoping the rumour is true.

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

meristem posted:

Only a fan source who's been proven real once or twice in the past. See WOTW for details. I exaggerated the certainty for effect, sorry.

Still, is there a single one of us who didn't think Tommen wouldn't bite it in S6 at the latest? That's why it actually seems believable to me.

--Admittedly, I also kind of like it, for several reasons. First, if Varys wants to break the Lannister-Tyrell alliance and have another bit of transition chaos, killing the glue that holds it together is a very good way to do it. Second, the reason Mike N Eich detailed. With Tommen dead, Myrcella in Dorne, and both queens in cells, the Faith gets to pick the next ruler. Since they'll get to pick between the isolated Cersei, who'll probably want to go to war for Myrcella with Dorne, and the Tyrells, who could, theoretically, propose another double marriage (Loras -> Myrcella, Margaery -> Trystane), that's not a choice at all. So, I'll love to see Cersei's reaction to that.

And then, finally, there's the option that show Myrcella decides that she wants the throne for herself, but backed by Dorne - without Cersei or the Tyrells involved. Show Myrcella-Trystane could be books' Aegon-Arianne.

Plenty of opportunity for chaos all around, is all I'm saying. So I'm hoping the rumour is true.

I just hope Kevan isn't Tywin lite in the series and is likeable like in the books. I was too engrossed when I read his chapter to realise he was doomed the moment he got a POV.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I like Tommen dying from a narrative perspective, though he's such a nice kid it would be sad to see him go. I don't think they'd have a Queen, as Every time it looked like it was going to happen, everyone fought against it and the Queen got fed to a dragon.

I could see the high sparrow being a piece in the chess game Varys is playing; ready declare Aegon king as the will of the 7.

Hopefully hearing that would get Dany moving.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
I could see the show using Gendry as the faith championed successor. It's been suggested here before that he may end up being the Aegon stand in. I can't recall what the faith's opinion on bastards are, but I'm certain they're considered preferable to the product of incest.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
The author more or less spoiled that himself when he said that there would be many different people on the iron throne before the series ended. So unless the Lannisters just gave up the throne which would never happen you know Tommen was going down.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Show Gendry for sure, but not book Gendry. Book Gendry is still running around with BwB.

I could see in the show he being picked by the faith after leaving Dragonstone

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.

Kawalimus posted:

The author more or less spoiled that himself when he said that there would be many different people on the iron throne before the series ended. So unless the Lannisters just gave up the throne which would never happen you know Tommen was going down.

That, and the whole Maggy the Frog predictions.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
Tommen owns in the books.

Tommen motherfucking Baratheon posted:

Yes, but when i'm King, Margaery says that everyone has to do what the king says, I want my white courser saddled on the morrow so Ser Loras can teach me how to joust, I want a kitten too, and I don't want to eat beets.

Equally badass as it is adorable. Sucks poo poo he's going to get brutally murdered at some point. :smith:

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

lifts cats over head posted:

That, and the whole Maggy the Frog predictions.

I don't remember those as well cause they were in books 4-5 and it was tough to pay attention all I remember is the valonqar thing from her.

Maybe Tommen will die because of the cats somehow. :D

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Kawalimus posted:

I don't remember those as well cause they were in books 4-5 and it was tough to pay attention all I remember is the valonqar thing from her.

Maybe Tommen will die because of the cats somehow. :D

There's a drug that makes animals go mad and attack their owners. Jaqen used it to kill someone in Harrenhal.

Also Tommen mentions being scared by Balerion the black cat, the Targaryen kitten that stole food from Tywin Lannister's plate. Cat's got a grudge.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Mike N Eich posted:

Real question is who the Church wants to back if Tommen dies. Because they hold effective political power in the city , their support matters, so that means Stannis and his support of the Red God are disqualified. Plus I imagine you become disinherited if you raise up in arms against the "legitimate" sitting King. Just because its, in a dry legal fashion, true Stannis should get it if Tommen and Myrcella die, there's no chance it'll happen without force of arms.

It's probably important that ADWD focused a little more than you'd expect on the Septa with Aegon, because I think he's angling to get Church support. No doubt the High Sparrow would be happy to be without the Lannisters and their shaky claim completely if he can help it.

Why does the Church need to support anyone? The High Sparrow's entire modus operandi has been to undermine the authority of dynasts while bolstering the Church's authority over traditional power stuctures. If given the option, why wouldn't they try to bring about the Islamic Republic of Faithful Republic of Westeros?

As for Stannis, his reputation means that no faction is going to want him in arms length of the throne. If Tommen and Myrcella die, then succession becomes one massive free-for-all because the ruling house has died out and there are no candidates with legitimacy, except Danny and Aegon.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Ague Proof posted:

There's a drug that makes animals go mad and attack their owners. Jaqen used it to kill someone in Harrenhal.

Also Tommen mentions being scared by Balerion the black cat, the Targaryen kitten that stole food from Tywin Lannister's plate. Cat's got a grudge.

Yeah, I have this vague notion that one of the Sand Snakes going to King's Landing isn't going to be able to resist taking revenge and will slip Basilisk venom to either Balerion (which has narrative weight since he was Rhaenys' pet) or Tommen's kittens, and they're going to eat Tommen's face. That would be so gnarly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

BillBear posted:

Sucks poo poo he's going to get brutally murdered at some point. :smith:

Man, Cersei has grown on me thanks to the show and rereads, but she still has to be the dumbest bitch alive. Her master plan for protecting all of her children is to conspire to make them all child kings, certainly an occupation with a super low fatality rate.

• Locked thread