Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

no way pikachu and luigi are just b tier

Waverhouse posted:

poo poo son my 3 characters are all E tier. I know they're not great but E tier I mean god drat.

Also someone needs to link me some high level pikachu play because I do not understand that placement at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvU5RQ-nJog
skip to about 5 minutes

and any ESAM match

Ruggington fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Mar 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

i see abadango is carrying Wario up to top tier.

Keep in mind folks, this is based on japanese results so it mostly means there aren't people playing those low tier characters who are winning tournaments.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Mega Man's slowly but steadily moving up... only a matter of time before fools come to their senses and he's sitting right alongside Diddy

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Ruggington posted:

It's good to be underrated. :ssh:

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Ruggington posted:

skip to about 5 minutes

and any ESAM match

that first fight took so long. are 2v2s more intersting/faster than 1v1s? i haven't seen any pro 2v2s.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
That ganondorf is channeling some serious shounen spirit to beat this pikachu.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Are there any videos of good Wario/Bowser/Mac/DEDEDE/Bowser Jr players?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

How Rude posted:

that first fight took so long. are 2v2s more intersting/faster than 1v1s? i haven't seen any pro 2v2s.

No, but the first fight took long because it's Megaman.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Ruggington posted:

skip to about 5 minutes

and any ESAM match

That Old Manondorf player has the patience of a saint.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

List of characters that take a long time to fight in this game:

Mega Man
Duck Hunt
Pac-Man
Rosalina and Luma
Bowser Jr.
Peach
Kirby,
Toon/Link

If any of these characters show up online, you can basically guarantee it'll run to time, or at least closer than you'd like.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Cicadas! posted:

List of characters that take a long time to fight in this game:

Mega Man
Duck Hunt
Pac-Man
Rosalina and Luma
Bowser Jr.
Peach
Kirby,
Toon/Link

If any of these characters show up online, you can basically guarantee it'll run to time, or at least closer than you'd like.

Whenever I plays as Villager my fights seem to take forever too. That's probably because I'm not very good and I'm more like Johnny Appleseed than Buffalo Bill when I play Villager.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
Somebody I was playing 1v1 online changed their name to THETA SUXO. I have been thoroughly owned.

Seriously speaking, change your name to communicate online is a somewhat clever idea I never even thought of.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

The cruel fate of Sonic the Hedgehog. Even after he proves himself better than Mario he's still bested by a rep from DK Island like it's 1994 all over again.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I only play Marth, Samus and DK lmao

On the upside playing low-tier means you get to feel especially smug when you win.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
If Rayman made it into Smash Bros, his playstyle would go a little something like this.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Lucina is one of those characters I'm most successful with, lol

Though I'm assuming that chart is based on default characters and my Lucina has four custom moves equipped.

I mean a DK with Kong Cyclone couldn't possibly be that far down. :v:

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I feel like Robin is better than they have on the tier list. Far better than Link, at least.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Kirby as E-Tier is hilarious to me but then again so is placing Dark Pit/Pit on different tiers. I still don't really see how Diddy is omega-tier though.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

MinibarMatchman posted:

Kirby as E-Tier is hilarious to me but then again so is placing Dark Pit/Pit on different tiers. I still don't really see how Diddy is omega-tier though.

If you don't understand why Diddy is bar none the best character without customs, none of the list will make sense to you.

Dark Pit is a bit stronger, but has shittier arrows and his hammer is less beneficial than regular Pit's.

Villager is one of those japanese-only characters apparently, I never seen one in the states doing well in Singles.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

MinibarMatchman posted:

Diddy's fast, has good movement, and he has an excellent grab and air game. Since grabs and air combos are dominant in Smash right now (much of the top tier is all about being able to throw someone in the air and combo them), Diddy is the strongest.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Tae posted:

If you don't understand why Diddy is bar none the best character without customs, none of the list will make sense to you.

Dark Pit is a bit stronger, but has shittier arrows and his hammer is less beneficial than regular Pit's.

Villager is one of those japanese-only characters apparently, I never seen one in the states doing well in Singles.

Villager is very strong on FD afaik, and the Japanese play almost all FD

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

Tae posted:

Isn't dark pit completely identical to put except arrows and side b?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

TheKingofSprings posted:

Villager is very strong on FD afaik, and the Japanese play almost all FD
I'm pretty sure if Battlefield was in more tournaments Ike would immediately jump up two tiers.

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT
Little surprised to see Game & Watch ranked D and not flat-out E. Are there any notable pro players that use him?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

GreyPowerVan posted:

I feel like Robin is better than they have on the tier list. Far better than Link, at least.

Remember: the tier list is based off Japanese tournament results and they're still trying to figure out the metagame so anything could happen a few months down the line! :eng101:

Also, it probably doesn't help Robin's placement that Japanese players tend to play on FD a lot and that's kind of a really lovely stage for Robin.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ChaosArgate posted:

Remember: the tier list is based off Japanese tournament results and they're still trying to figure out the metagame so anything could happen a few months down the line! :eng101:

This isn't Melee where there'll be techs discovered that completely revolutionize characters 3 years down the line

There'll be stuff like dash cancelled grabs that add a little bit to that character and Robin's book mechanic gives some pretty deep potential, but there isn't likely to be many crazy leaps

Also Robin's slow and in Smash that has spelled death more than anything else

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro

messagemode1 posted:

Isn't dark pit completely identical to put except arrows and side b?

He's a tad slower and heavier. That's usually a recipe for lower on the tier list.

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

TenaciousJ posted:

He's a tad slower and heavier. That's usually a recipe for lower on the tier list.

I'm pretty sure he's not, though. The only differences I can notice are the arrows, the side-b arms, and the final smash. If there are any other differences, they must be so minor as to be absolutely negligible.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

TenaciousJ posted:

They are the same speed and weight. Pit is higher because japanese pit players have won more than japanese dark pit players.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

dark pit does a bit more damage and a bit less knockback with most of his moves than pit. the biggest differences are his arrows and side b. they have no difference in weight or speed

edit: actually looking it up again apparently the only move besides his two specials that is different is his forward tilt. could've sworn there was more than that but i guess not. everything else is exactly the same as pit

Ms. Unsmiley fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Mar 9, 2015

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro
I suppose the weight and speed are in my head then. They feel different to me when I play them. Pit is good and Dark Pit is a waste of a character space.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

dark pit owns

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Dark Pit has the hemi. He hit you with the whole engine block. His voice is better too.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Dark Pit does have different customs and a different final smash, at least. Which is more than you can say for Marth and Lucina who got the same everything.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Marth: Not everything. *winks at camera*

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
Lucina is good at stroking with the whole shaft; Marth, just the tip.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

TheKingofSprings posted:

This isn't Melee where there'll be techs discovered that completely revolutionize characters 3 years down the line

There'll be stuff like dash cancelled grabs that add a little bit to that character and Robin's book mechanic gives some pretty deep potential, but there isn't likely to be many crazy leaps

Also Robin's slow and in Smash that has spelled death more than anything else

I am honestly curious why you are so certain this is true.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i don't necessarily agree but smash 4 has undergone a lot more scrutiny from day 1 so advanced techs are going to be discovered much quicker

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Yeah all modern games develop a lot faster just because information spreads so much more freely and people know what to look for, it's not an exclusive Smash 4 thing. Though I do agree that Smash 4, again like other modern games, is much more deliberate in its design and probably coded more tightly than older games like Melee, so finding unintended or obscure mechanics is less likely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

So there was a patch in Japan that buffed Little Mac

• Locked thread