Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Naffer posted:

If the 640 comes in at or under $200 on T-Mobile I think I'll buy it. I only wish it had an AMOLED display.

Was the sub-$200 price speculation locked or unlocked? I would consider switching to T-Mobile since I don't have anything tying to me to AT&T right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

He's coming down here Mississip' way this month and he got swole as gently caress

OldPueblo posted:

Great for karaoke parties or relaxing with a glass of wine.
http://music.xbox.com/Album/61dcef07-0100-11db-89ca-0019b92a3933?action=play

He's a bit of a lyrical genius.

Do you still play EVE Online, a bad game?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

He's coming down here Mississip' way this month and he got swole as gently caress

You mean there's TWO of us here in Mississippi that use Windows Phone?

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

BonoMan posted:

Wanna make out :wink:

OldPueblo posted:

Great for karaoke parties or relaxing with a glass of wine.
http://music.xbox.com/Album/61dcef07-0100-11db-89ca-0019b92a3933?action=play

He's a bit of a lyrical genius.

True lyrical genius: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQl-lLPHnfE

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

I retired in order to be a quality dad (music reference is proof of this). Someday maybe, if the horn sounds again sufficiently loud enough.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
The horn. I still hear it.

The horn of Goondor never stifles.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Yes. I have been spreading the genius of Wesley Willis to anyone that will listen.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Chasiubao posted:

Was the sub-$200 price speculation locked or unlocked? I would consider switching to T-Mobile since I don't have anything tying to me to AT&T right now.

I assume locked, since almost all of the phones T-Mobile sells directly come locked. They'll unlock them after a couple of months of service I think.
One bummer: it looks like the 640 won't support LTE band 12, which is T-Mobile's newest acquisition.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

BonoMan posted:

Three! Let's all pretend our mouths are NFC capable.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

larchesdanrew posted:

Three! Let's all pretend our mouths are NFC capable.

This was the line I used in college all the time.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention
Looks like the 640 doesn't have a dedicated camera button. Is this the way they're moving on the Lumia line in general?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Considering getting a replacement for my Lumia 620, the 735 seems interesting. (Apart from the "perfect for selfies!" marketing.) Does anyone have experiences with it?
I think it'd get a full-featured upgrade to Windows 10 as well.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Mar 10, 2015

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

nielsm posted:

Considering getting a replacement for my Lumia 620, the 735 seems interesting. (Apart from the "perfect for selfies!" marketing.) Does anyone have experiences with it?
I think it'd get a full-featured upgrade to Windows 10 as well.

Two weeks ago I purchased a new phone and I spent a long time considering the 735 as well. I didn't buy it and went for the higher model (930). The 735 just didn't seem like very good value for money for me. It has outdated internals and we know the minimum amount of RAM for full W10 is going to be 1 gig so I personally feared that the 735 would go from fast to only average in the span of a year or whenever W10 is released. It is also missing the camera button one of my favorite things about the lumia phones.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Cortana just asked me if I want her to track my workouts at the gym. I wonder what this is going to look like.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Darth TNT posted:

Two weeks ago I purchased a new phone and I spent a long time considering the 735 as well. I didn't buy it and went for the higher model (930). The 735 just didn't seem like very good value for money for me. It has outdated internals and we know the minimum amount of RAM for full W10 is going to be 1 gig so I personally feared that the 735 would go from fast to only average in the span of a year or whenever W10 is released. It is also missing the camera button one of my favorite things about the lumia phones.

Comparing the specs and prices of 735 and 930 I just don't see the higher specs to be worth a 115% higher price to me. I might miss my camera button, but can probably live without it.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

nielsm posted:

Comparing the specs and prices of 735 and 930 I just don't see the higher specs to be worth a 115% higher price to me. I might miss my camera button, but can probably live without it.

"Fortunately", in my case I didn't need spend quite that much more than I would've had to spend to get a 735.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

ElGroucho posted:

Cortana just asked me if I want her to track my workouts at the gym. I wonder what this is going to look like.

Shame :v:

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

So I've learned two things so far on my trip to Taiwan. First is that all those weird APN settings and workarounds to get internet sharing to work on my 920 apparently keeps the internet from working at all when I'm roaming on another network. I say apparently because the second thing I learned is that when I swapped my SIM card to my Z3c, I had replaced my 920's SIM Card tray with the nano-to-micro SIM adapter still in the tray which has jammed on something inside and is preventing me from fully ejecting the tray. I suppose I could try to disassemble the 920 and fix the jam but that isn't something I want to do while still I'm on vacation.

Maybe it's time to upgrade to a new Windows Phone since I still am not warming up to Android even after using the Z3c for a couple days now. The 640 can't come out soon enough and hopefully I can get a 640 XL to use on T-Mobile without too much fuss.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4

Edward IV posted:

....nano-to-micro SIM adapter still in the tray which has jammed on something inside and is preventing me from fully ejecting the tray. I suppose I could try to disassemble the 920 and fix the jam....

I did the same thing when I first started messing around with swapping SIMs around. Basically what's happening is the little metal arms that push against the SIM card are getting stuck on the lip of the nano-SIM tray. I had to get an old plastic collar stay and wiggle it around in there until I could keep the arms lifted up while I pulled the tray out. Just don't put the SIM tray back in with the nano one still in there and you should be fine.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
Is the Nokia 930 a good phone? Engadget called it the best Win phone on the market in August but idk if that means anything

Also are Windows phones horrible and terrible idea, or not? I've heard both.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
That's because they are both simultaneously

It has more to do with the lovely support the outside world gives its apps and the way Microsoft plays leap frog over their best customers really

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Windows Phone is a good product and a good brand that has been driven into the ground by years of bad decisions (and also Google throwing its weight around but that would be less of an issue without the bad decisions)

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009

ElGroucho posted:

That's because they are both simultaneously

It has more to do with the lovely support the outside world gives its apps and the way Microsoft plays leap frog over their best customers really

loquacius posted:

Windows Phone is a good product and a good brand that has been driven into the ground by years of bad decisions (and also Google throwing its weight around but that would be less of an issue without the bad decisions)

A pretty concise summary. This is why we even put the effort to do nothing but bitch about the platform - it could be a beautiful thing =(

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Arnold of Soissons posted:

Is the Nokia 930 a good phone? Engadget called it the best Win phone on the market in August but idk if that means anything

Also are Windows phones horrible and terrible idea, or not? I've heard both.

It's an excellent phone, and still the best Windows phone you can buy.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
Well, that's good news.

The 930 is on sale this month with a new plan, anybody want to sell me on it vs an iOS or Android or give some tips on what makes Win phones rad?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

WP is all about UI design -- it's still the prettiest phone OS on the market. If you're not big on getting every single app on the market (particularly games; WP is sorely lacking in games) but want the interactions you have with your phone to be beautiful, WP is a good choice.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009

Well, that's good news.

The 930 is on sale this month with a new plan, anybody want to sell me on it vs an iOS or Android or give some tips on what makes Win phones rad?

Write a list of what you do with your current phone. We can tell you which is possible (maps) and which is not (mobile banking)

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.

Mr Funkface posted:

Write a list of what you do with your current phone. We can tell you which is possible (maps) and which is not (mobile banking)

Wells Fargo works just fine.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Mr Funkface posted:

I only really message people with my phone now, because my phone now is horrible. My bank does have a Win Phone app apparently. I might go by the store tomorrow and check it out.

e: it looks like IE is the only choice for browser and GMail has no official app, which I guess makes sense..

Arnold of Soissons fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Mar 12, 2015

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

I only really message people with my phone now, because my phone now is horrible.

Unfortunately "messaging people" isn't really a strength of WP. One-on-one SMS mostly works though.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Factor Mystic posted:

Unfortunately "messaging people" isn't really a strength of WP. One-on-one SMS mostly works though.

I haven't had any issues with group MMS in a while either

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Factor Mystic posted:

I cant tell if I said something weird or if you are making fun of me, I mean sms/whatsapp/kik/badoo/idk messaging people. I feel like every 5th person I meet uses some other loving messaging app now, but everything I can think of is in the store (even aim) so Im sure it will be fine

Is there any way to video chat like facetime? Will skype work similarly? Or, I don't know, BingChat if thats a thing?

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

There's no Snapchat, which would be a dealbreaker for most people my age I think.

Skype is fine. Microsoft owns it, so you'd imagine so. And I'd say that most people have Skype somewhere anyway.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I cant tell if I said something weird or if you are making fun of me, I mean sms/whatsapp/kik/badoo/idk messaging people. I feel like every 5th person I meet uses some other loving messaging app now, but everything I can think of is in the store (even aim) so Im sure it will be fine

Is there any way to video chat like facetime? Will skype work similarly? Or, I don't know, BingChat if thats a thing?

Skype does work pretty well; it's fairly well-integrated into the phone.

And yeah there WAS a perfectly good Snapchat client until Snapchat shut down all third-party clients :argh:

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

ManSedan posted:

I did the same thing when I first started messing around with swapping SIMs around. Basically what's happening is the little metal arms that push against the SIM card are getting stuck on the lip of the nano-SIM tray. I had to get an old plastic collar stay and wiggle it around in there until I could keep the arms lifted up while I pulled the tray out. Just don't put the SIM tray back in with the nano one still in there and you should be fine.

Thanks for the tip though I ended up disassembling the phone and managed to get the tray out though ended up bending the pins bit was able to push them back in place. I'm glad to have a working Windows Phone again. I just can't get used to using Android.

Also, I was also hasty about the internet not working on the phone as it does work. I guess I didn't give the phone enough time to acclimate as I was in a rush trying to get the phone to work. However, I must have lousy luck with cellphones on this trip.

Sony :argh:

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

loquacius posted:

I haven't had any issues with group MMS in a while either

I sent a normal group sms the other day which didn't make it through. From my side it looked like everything was fine. I only found out nobody got it way way later when I texted someone individually to follow up. To be fair it could have been a carrier hiccup but normally when that happens WP tells me it was no good.

I'm not making fun of you at all. For example, WP doesn't have snapchat. Rooms is dead. Group text sometimes doesn't work and the UI isn't great. The skype app blows. Etc. Not a good platform for messaging. However, whatsapp does appear to work ok.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.
Group texting for me has been way reliable, in fact typically other various phones/carriers have had oddities when mines worked fine in a group text. Since it uses data and not the cellular line, Wi-Fi or data signal issues can cause problems sometimes.

Also there is GroupMe, I use it often and have no complaints. Sometimes it's handy to do it from my desktop when I'm at my PC, I'm not sure if other messaging apps have a web client version.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
No Snapchat is kind of stupid, but my current phone doesnt have it either so I guess its not the end of the world. Cortana apparently is not available in this country, either. I don't have Siri on my phone now so I don't know if Ill miss it, or if they'll spread it through the EU when Win10 comes out or if I can just set my region to the USA or something.

loquacius posted:

Skype does work pretty well; it's fairly well-integrated into the phone.

Factor Mystic posted:

The skype app blows.

:confused:

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

No Snapchat is kind of stupid, but my current phone doesnt have it either so I guess its not the end of the world. Cortana apparently is not available in this country, either. I don't have Siri on my phone now so I don't know if Ill miss it, or if they'll spread it through the EU when Win10 comes out or if I can just set my region to the USA or something.

:confused:

Cortana isn't available in my country either. However I set my country to the UK, my regional format to my own country so the currency and time looks correct and OS language to English which enables it. You can set the keyboard language to your native language as well. So far it has been really good at understanding my English and contact names, but most town names are a lot more difficult for her. I really like having her though since it means I don't have to touch my phone at all while driving and making reminders works well.
Her attempts at parsing messages in Dutch to read it to you are hilarious. I still have no idea what a Batish hub is, but it probably isn't related to someone getting well soon. :allears:
Setting it to US means that you get PM/AM times and no way to change that to proper 24 hour settings.
The only annoying part is that the already fairly unreliable Bing has become worse and Google also seems to look at my phone settings to provide suggestions. Not that I ever use search suggestions, but it just annoys me when it starts suggesting completely wrong locations. Why yes, I'm near Amsterdam obviously I'm trying to find the Starbucks in Milwaukee which is apparently located in the UK. :psyduck:

I don't know which country you're in, but they are beta testing in several European countries such as Germany and I think France. You can get it via the developer preview app.

I've had no problems with the Skype app. :shrug: SMSing and Whatsapping works perfect for me which are the only ones I use. As far as I can tell though, Cortana can't access Whatsapp to send messages. :(
Wordflow was my first encounter with Swype and I have to say that it works really great, the phone has so far been almost perfect at getting the right words based around my erratic swyping in both languages I use. It does make texting a lot faster.

Mapping works good, for the limited capacity that I use it.

I have a 930 and I really like it, it's fast, it feels like you can use it to build a house and the screen makes WP look stunning enough that several Android users have commented on how good it looks compared to their phones. But it's the first high end phone I've ever had so my opinion is probably skewed since I don't have proper reference material and a screen is in my opinion not the best reason to buy a phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick
The most frustrating thing for me about SMS on WP is that if you enable delivery confirmations, they show up as a separate message coming from 'Mobile Operator', rather than some sort of indication on the message itself that it was delivered. It's pretty worthless getting all your delivery confirmations in a separate thread that doesn't tie back to the messages themselves. Before switching to WP, I used to have a BlackBerry, and it was able to display an icon next to each SMS indicating whether it was stuck, sending, sent, or delivered, so it's not impossible.

That's another frustrating thing about SMS - if it can't send a message immediately (e.g. temporarily out of signal), it says something like 'Couldn't send message. Tap here to try again', which is very easy to miss. Why can't it have a setting somewhere to continue retrying for a while (with some sort of feedback to indicate that the message hasn't been delivered yet), and only pop up the error if it's given up after a while. When I have no signal, I get the 'Couldn't send message' as soon as I press send, so it can't be waiting a bit to retry internally before tossing out the error.