Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

StashAugustine posted:

This might explain why I was getting monthly notifications on France joining the league.

And since the leagues were screwed up I couldn't get a league war to fire so now Catholic is the official religion forever according to this popup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I SAID LISTEN
Jan 10, 2007
I don't *do* up.
Are treasure fleets bugged? Despite having a colonial nation in every possible zone as Spain, I have yet to see a treasure fleet. Looking at the meters under the Subjects tab it just says that I am not downstream of any of the right nodes? Even though I'm pretty sure Sevilla is downstream of almost everything.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

I SAID LISTEN posted:

Are treasure fleets bugged? Despite having a colonial nation in every possible zone as Spain, I have yet to see a treasure fleet. Looking at the meters under the Subjects tab it just says that I am not downstream of any of the right nodes? Even though I'm pretty sure Sevilla is downstream of almost everything.

They are, it's supposed to be fixed in the upcoming patch.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Luigi Thirty posted:

And since the leagues were screwed up I couldn't get a league war to fire so now Catholic is the official religion forever according to this popup.

If no League War ever happened, Catholic shouldn't be the enforced official religion of the HRE. The Peace of Westphalia, which should be the event you got, means that any Christian monarch can become Emperor, regardless of the particular branch of Christianity. I think it's actually the only way to get an Orthodox, Coptic, or Reformed Emperor now.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Zurai posted:

If no League War ever happened, Catholic shouldn't be the enforced official religion of the HRE. The Peace of Westphalia, which should be the event you got, means that any Christian monarch can become Emperor, regardless of the particular branch of Christianity. I think it's actually the only way to get an Orthodox, Coptic, or Reformed Emperor now.

Peace of Westphalia is if the league war ends without one side enforcing their religion on the other. If the league wars never happen, the dominant religion just stays dominant.

thatdarnedbob
Jan 1, 2006
why must this exist?

Dibujante posted:

We mod goon MP games heavily and like to experiment, so the more things that can be customized in mods, the better.

I'd like to be able to set the default wartime/peacetime WE and autonomy reduction one day, though :3: I want to experiment with setting peacetime autonomy reduction to 0.

Good news! There's a file in your game folder, common/static_modifiers/00_statics_modifiers.txt. It has a section, labeled 'peace', which allows you to set just such things. Knock yourself out. I've never tried to package something as a mod though so I don't know whether this would work for that purpose.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

So I have been thinking of putting together an events based mod to better flesh out and provide more interesting interaction with the major events of the period. Probably starting with the french wars of religion. My main concern is that the main events not really covered in the game (at least in my view) are generally pretty harsh to the countries they effect from a playing eu4 point of view.

So I was looking for opinions on it, in the french religious wars example I thinking in the build up phase, along the lines of taking increasingly larger imediate penalties to keep everything Catholic and in line and taking the easy way out getting bonuses and eventually provoking the actual disaster. But that seems like it might not actually be fun?

Alternatively I could apply an element of randomness, to it, events give both good and bad results but decided randomly either tolerance or clamping down would lead to the war and short of using debug the player wouldnt know what is the correct course of action.

The actual events themselves I dont see as being NOTHING BUT BAD (tm) but they would be a pain if when experiencing them as a player you wanted to play normally and invade neighbours etc.

I wouldn't necessarily confine these events to the countries they historically happened to either.

Any one want to offer some thoughts?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Arrhythmia posted:

Peace of Westphalia is if the league war ends without one side enforcing their religion on the other. If the league wars never happen, the dominant religion just stays dominant.

Great Britain was the leader of the Protestant league and was allied with the Emperor so they'd never start the war and there was nothing I could do about it.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I have to say, the tooltip for exploration is poorly worded, it says "You need a total of 3 Light and Heavy ships" which makes it sound like you need 3 Light + 3 Heavy to do exploration.

That's a perfectly fine sentence. If it was intended to be the way you thought it was, it would says "3 light and 3 heavy". If it said "3 light or heavy ships" it would imply they all had to be the same.

I guess they could say "3 light and/or heavy ships" but at that point you may as well put on your fedora and complain about Women's Day DLC.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.

Luigi Thirty posted:

Great Britain was the leader of the Protestant league and was allied with the Emperor so they'd never start the war and there was nothing I could do about it.

Yeah this needs fixing, an ally of the emperor should not be chosen as the leader of the opposing league. It's a bummer expecting some kind of shake up or bloodbath when league fires only to get a wet fart to the face.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

manomanomanomanomanoman

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Yeah this needs fixing, an ally of the emperor should not be chosen as the leader of the opposing league. It's a bummer expecting some kind of shake up or bloodbath when league fires only to get a wet fart to the face.

I ended up just reloading an earlier game, tagging over to GBR, canceling the alliance and starting the war. 9 years of fighting later Protestants win the day :hist101:

Now the HRE is so hosed up and bitter at each other that OPM Connacht is supported by one of the electors!

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Colonial Air Force posted:

That's a perfectly fine sentence. If it was intended to be the way you thought it was, it would says "3 light and 3 heavy". If it said "3 light or heavy ships" it would imply they all had to be the same.

It's technically correct but it's definitely ambiguous, because I interpreted it as needing 6 ships until I read elsewhere that you only need 3, and I've talk to a few other people who thought the same thing. Another clearer way to write it would be "You need at least 3 Ships, of Light or Heavy size."

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

thatdarnedbob posted:

Good news! There's a file in your game folder, common/static_modifiers/00_statics_modifiers.txt. It has a section, labeled 'peace', which allows you to set just such things. Knock yourself out. I've never tried to package something as a mod though so I don't know whether this would work for that purpose.

Dammit, I am not a smart man. Thank you.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Merchant republic is now more expensive than Dutch Republic in the Nation Designer. That seems....off.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I started a Cusco game and formed Inca fairly easily. I've conquered all the people around me and it is the year 1500 with three religious reforms done.

Should I just take exploration as my first idea while waiting for europeans?

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Are rebels out of hand? I'm having no issues keeping down the occasional English or Scottish Patriots (or Lancaster patriots for some reason), but my colonial Mexico is getting torn to shreds by Mayan/Aztec/Zapotec/etc. patriots and zealots.

And these rebels aren't weak native armies, they're on par with my own armies.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Zealots can be hard for the AI to put down sometimes, because Zealots are probably the hardest rebel type you can encounter (rev are harder easily, but way less common, especially for the AI). They come out with huge morale boosts, and if the AI does not take any kind of military idea group it can cause them trouble, because the rebels will likely be on par or above their ability. Rebs pop out with your tech, and typically a decent composition and zealots with good morale. They don't get your ideas, so you can take em out easily enough, but the AI less so.

CNs usually take odd idea groups too in my experience, like trade, economic and stuff like that first. It can make them into a glass cannon kinda, who can beat up on neighbouring natives, but unable to really match their own ability level. Basically, you have to really babysit them until they get a few idea sets out and move onto mil ideas.

Another Person fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Mar 7, 2015

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

:wom:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Sky Shadowing posted:

Are rebels out of hand? I'm having no issues keeping down the occasional English or Scottish Patriots (or Lancaster patriots for some reason), but my colonial Mexico is getting torn to shreds by Mayan/Aztec/Zapotec/etc. patriots and zealots.

And these rebels aren't weak native armies, they're on par with my own armies.

Yeah, once a European or CN cores a province, the rebels will be on par with the Euro/CN armies, rather than native level. It's done to make the rebels a real threat. You'll probably have to help Mexico out and suppress rebellions for a while until they get everything converted.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

I got the war dlc whatever it's called and was gonna try it out but EU4 crashes at the launcher. like i cant even click on anything it freezes up

I SAID LISTEN
Jan 10, 2007
I don't *do* up.
Try verifying game data?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

PrinceRandom posted:

I got the war dlc whatever it's called and was gonna try it out but EU4 crashes at the launcher. like i cant even click on anything it freezes up

Just keep launching it. It's a crash related to updating mods in the launcher. It should work eventually.

Failing that, disable cloud sync.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Just keep launching it. It's a crash related to updating mods in the launcher. It should work eventually.

Failing that, disable cloud sync.

This worked. thanks.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Should I make as much protectorates as I can?

I've gotten Choctaw and Cherokee so far.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Ugh. Spain invaded me as I was almost done westernising. Took basically all the northern provinces from me, so when I'm going to attack back I'll have to sail my newly constructed fleet all the way around the southern tip.

Playing Cusco/Inca is pretty fun though, but I suspect I might need to colonise all of south america before I start tangling with Spain and England. Yes, England are colonising Brazil for some reason.

Any suggestions for a third idea group? I have exploration and defensive so far. if Economic was better overall I'd take it for the inflation reduction but it is just not worth it. I was thinking of maybe going religious.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

MrBling posted:

Ugh. Spain invaded me as I was almost done westernising. Took basically all the northern provinces from me, so when I'm going to attack back I'll have to sail my newly constructed fleet all the way around the southern tip.

Playing Cusco/Inca is pretty fun though, but I suspect I might need to colonise all of south america before I start tangling with Spain and England. Yes, England are colonising Brazil for some reason.

Any suggestions for a third idea group? I have exploration and defensive so far. if Economic was better overall I'd take it for the inflation reduction but it is just not worth it. I was thinking of maybe going religious.

Religious is a good idea, the New World religions get really shafted for missionary strength so when you're conquering the colonized provinces Religious is really great for converting Christians.

I thought about taking Economic, but even after conquering all the natives on the continent and colonizing a ton of stuff my gold income was only making me like 0.05/year inflation which is easily manageable. I figured it'd be higher but the gold provinces are pretty low basetax.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Does inflation do anything other than make things more expensive? Like, do you suffer stability problems if it gets too high? I've never let inflation get higher than 12 or so.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Mountaineer posted:

Does inflation do anything other than make things more expensive? Like, do you suffer stability problems if it gets too high? I've never let inflation get higher than 12 or so.

You can get some bad events after some threshold iirc

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Coming from eu3 I have an irrational hatred of inflation!

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Coming from eu3 I have an irrational hatred of inflation!

Yeah it was much more of an issue in EU3, if you ran a monthly surplus (minting gold to your treasury) you incurred inflation just based on that. In EU4 I don't remember ever seeing an event from having too high inflation and I've never seen it above ~10 or so, it really only happens if you're hugely reliant on gold income.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I have over 20 inflations and haven't seen too bad effects right now.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Mountaineer posted:

If it gets higher than 15 (or maybe 20?) you have a chance to get some really nasty events. Happened to me in one game.

edit: really I just let it get out of control because I got lucky (unlucky?) with gold provinces while playing a Malaya game, and then I thought conquering east Africa and all its gold mines was a great idea. That's also the game that taught me that EUIV really has no way to deal with inflation except the advisor or the Economic idea group. The buildings are really useless, as most buildings are, because you have to build way too many of them and expend basically all your monarch points to get even a noticeable difference.

Prop Wash fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Mar 8, 2015

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

Should I make as much protectorates as I can?

I've gotten Choctaw and Cherokee so far.

I see Protectorates as a tool for pretty borders. How they work is that they hand 50% of their trade power to you, but they get cheaper tech costs and your protection from attackers. If we're talking new world, it's probably better to just let your CNs conquer those provinces, since they'll contribute to wars, and CNs give you 50% trade power as well.

But I love them in India, where I can just conquer portions of it, and then create Princely States to rule the rest, and no other Europeans can conquer them. Saves you a lot of rebels too.

:britain:

Kurtofan posted:

I have over 20 inflations and haven't seen too bad effects right now.

All it means is that you're paying 20% more for everything. 20% inflation is a lot (especially if you're France), but also entirely manageable.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Can I undo protectorates then? How do I give armies to my colonial nations?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

You can, you cancel them from the diplomacy screen somewhere, almost certainly the Influence Actions group. And you don't give armies to your CNs, you station your own armies there, and they'll build their own as finances allow. When they're 5-10 provinces you'll want to be able to bail them out, when they have 20 they'll be pretty self-sufficient.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Actually I was looking into the events and I saw this one:

code:
# Financial Ruin 02
country_event = {
	id = 3082
	title = "EVTNAME3081"
	desc = "EVTDESC3081"
	picture = BANKRUPTCY_eventPicture

trigger = {
		gold = 2
		inflation = 15
		has_idea = vice_roys
		NOT = { has_idea = national_bank }
		NOT = { has_country_flag = bankruptcy }
	}

mean_time_to_happen = {
		months = 600
		}
	}

option = {
		name = "EVTOPTA3081"		# We are on the verge of bankruptcy
		add_stability = -3
		add_treasury = -1000
		random_owned_province = {
			anti_tax_rebels = 2
		}
		add_inflation = 5
		set_country_flag = bankruptcy
	}
}
I edited out a bunch of modifiers (it gets more likely if you have more inflation) but I also don't know how to parse these exactly. Does this event only fire if you have over 15 inflation AND you have the idea Viceroys (from Exploration)? That seems extremely stupid if so. Why would it only affect countries that have made it halfway through the Exploration idea group?

This is the second one though, there's an identical event that fires if you've got over 20 inflation and you're at war and you have 1 or more loans. So, if you've got stupid high inflation, just don't take a loan and you'll never see any downside. Man, what a stupid event.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Prop Wash posted:

Actually I was looking into the events and I saw this one:

code:
# Financial Ruin 02
country_event = {
	id = 3082
	title = "EVTNAME3081"
	desc = "EVTDESC3081"
	picture = BANKRUPTCY_eventPicture

trigger = {
		gold = 2
		inflation = 15
		has_idea = vice_roys
		NOT = { has_idea = national_bank }
		NOT = { has_country_flag = bankruptcy }
	}

mean_time_to_happen = {
		months = 600
		}
	}

option = {
		name = "EVTOPTA3081"		# We are on the verge of bankruptcy
		add_stability = -3
		add_treasury = -1000
		random_owned_province = {
			anti_tax_rebels = 2
		}
		add_inflation = 5
		set_country_flag = bankruptcy
	}
}
I edited out a bunch of modifiers (it gets more likely if you have more inflation) but I also don't know how to parse these exactly. Does this event only fire if you have over 15 inflation AND you have the idea Viceroys (from Exploration)? That seems extremely stupid if so. Why would it only affect countries that have made it halfway through the Exploration idea group?

This is the second one though, there's an identical event that fires if you've got over 20 inflation and you're at war and you have 1 or more loans. So, if you've got stupid high inflation, just don't take a loan and you'll never see any downside. Man, what a stupid event.

Probably to punish the people who are taking over africa/south america?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
So do reformed Inca have to Westernize to get any boats or overseas colonization at all? It's weird being at 10/10/11 with Exploration and Expansion and not being able to colonize the untouched Galapagos sitting right there.

Edit: This is especially weird since as reformed non-Westernized Inca there's some events that specifically reference having a navy.

Zurai posted:

It also provides a lot of cool fantasy/scifi modding potential. You could make a fantasy techgroup with wizards replacing cannons, for example, and give them a tiny unit size but tons of pips.

Poil posted:

Maybe replacing cavalry with dragons. Dragon dragoons? But you'd need to be able to set different costs for different tech groups then. Unless you wish to stick in a +5000% cavalry cost and maintenance tradition.

I'm looking forward to a GoT mod where you have dragons instead of instead of cannons. Each one has a unit size of 1 at a massive cost but a crazy number of pips.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Mar 8, 2015

• Locked thread