Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

football fuckerman posted:

I think if the Browns don't make a big splash in free agency it will be fair to say they have the least talented roster in the league in 2015. With Gordon suspended and Cameron gone, our best offensive players will be Joe Thomas, Alex Mack and Andrew Hawkins. On defense we have Joe Haden...Karlos Dansby maybe? Donte Whitner, is he good still? Our run D was hideous last year and it seems like we would need two or three big name signings to fix it

Yeah, the Titans definitely have the worst roster in the NFL right now. The total decline of the team the last few years could probably deserve its own thread, no one would read it however

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Yeah, the Titans definitely have the worst roster in the NFL right now. The total decline of the team the last few years could probably deserve its own thread, no one would read it however

I'd read it multiple times, each time convinced it was the first time I'd come across it; previous posts I'd made in the thread would result in a massive identity crisis as I confront the frailty of human- what was I talking about?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

The Falcons could probably give you a run for the money, outside of like 2 guys.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Browns needs within a year or two: QB, RB, WRx3, TE, OT, DE, DT, LB, CB.

That sound right?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Gatts posted:

That sound right?

The right qb will fix all the problems.

Also maybe they can transfer to the Mac?

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Gatts posted:

That sound right?

They should just take Garret Grayson in the fifth or sixth and have him compete with Connor Shaw imo (and I guess nominally McCown/Manziel). Then hope for a better QB class next year. Mariotta would be terrible on the Browns and no way they get Winston.

Sad thing is the Browns would probably be really good with Cutler.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Raku posted:

They should just take Garret Grayson in the fifth or sixth and have him compete with Connor Shaw imo (and I guess nominally McCown/Manziel). Then hope for a better QB class next year. Mariotta would be terrible on the Browns and no way they get Winston.

Sad thing is the Browns would probably be really good with Cutler.

I actually do think a 3rd or 4th for Cutler would be great. I kinda think punt a QB until something like the 6th or 7th and check Brandon Bridge out and see if we can straighten his accuracy out.

Personally this is fantasy level but I'd like to get something like Adrian, Maclin, Cutler and then draft to support.

say no to bats
Aug 15, 2001
Rumblee tumblee, climin' a hunny tree
Adkins has been saying for a few weeks now on the subscriber forums that it seems extremely likely the Browns end up with Hundley or Grayson, although Petty is growing on them in recent days as they evaluate further.

Which long story short means using somewhere between the 19th pick (Hundley if he rises) and their third rounder, if its not lost to Textgate, on one of them unless they are super confident one or more of them will fall further.

E: Which is the problem the Browns face now as a direct consequence of loving up royally last draft. They paid 100k for the study that said take Teddy he will be the best (and early returns say yep) and they also could have had Carr.

No one Adkins has talked to says anyone in the Browns with any influence or input is willing to go all in on Manziel this year or ever. As it is, how long he is in rehab and then whatever programs he is in afterwards will only hinder him since its not like he is out there spending 10 hours a day working out and practicing that whole NFL QB deal. They believe he stands a very likely chance of missing most or all OTAs so he is basically going to come into camp just as raw as he left the team at the end of December.

There's also a rumor by a guy who has been on the OBR for years and has been right a bunch and has been vouched for by Sobo and Adkins as knowing people and having his own connections that the Browns have a loose framework to trade Manziel very shortly after the league year begins next week. Sounds far fetched but its Cleveland so who the gently caress knows?

say no to bats fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Mar 8, 2015

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Hundley is an interesting prospect, but it doesn't seem like he's a good fit for a team that has no patience. The guy has a lot of tools and not a lot of production.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Who the gently caress are they going to get to take Manziel--oh wait that's right Jerry Jones.

Lol Tony Romo's back better stay healthy or Jason Garrett's career is over.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003

Gatts posted:

Personally this is fantasy level but I'd like to get something like Adrian, Maclin, Cutler and then draft to support.

Dallas sports talk is talking about getting Adrian and Maclin (to replace Murray and backup Dez, respectively), as I assume probably 25 of the other 31 fan bases are.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
I'd trade manziel for anything right now. I have no expectation at all that he'll ever be competent

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

I'd trade manziel for anything right now. I have no expectation at all that he'll ever be competent

But enough about what he won't do for the scout team :v:

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
I don't get drafting some sixth round gently caress. Backup quarterbacks we got already

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

Type it up. I'd read it. There are very few Titans fans on here so as a result nobody knows much about them.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Yeah, I know the broad strokes but someone who's really followed the Titans could make a pretty interesting thread.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Isn't their WR corps fairly decent? Hunter, Wright, & Washington seems pretty solid. They just need a QB who can get them the ball, right?

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

I'm good with Dallas trading for Manziel with like a conditional 7th or something and then dumping Weeden's rear end off the party bus somewhere along the Chisholm Trail Parkway

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

MrLogan posted:

Isn't their WR corps fairly decent? Hunter, Wright, & Washington seems pretty solid. They just need a QB who can get them the ball, right?

Solid compared to what? At least half the teams in the league were better off last year. They're better off than like the Panthers I guess? It's completely plausible they could upgrade their #1 and #2 with a decent FA and a high draft pick (not that they would since the rest of the team is even worse) so, they're not going to be a selling point to QBs.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

MrLogan posted:

washington is a free agent, this is hunter's make or break year, and wright is amazing

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

To be honest.

I don't feel like the Browns...the way things are currently set up are in the position to even remotely be a team that's on the path to contend for a Super Bowl or AFC Title within 5, 10 years.

Which sucks. I don't think there's a single franchise in pro football that's really in that same boat save for maybe Buffalo.

i seem to recall someone pointing out how much the Browns have in terms of Salary Cap (2nd in the league, correct?), and how you know...in theory they could sign a lot of big name free agents.

The thing is...no...no they cannot. They don't live in a market where you could land a free agent, and they don't have any sort of "mystique" towards any free agent in terms of how the organization is ran. I mean, if you're a kid and you've been on this planet since 1990, who are the Browns to you? A consistent joke of a franchise where careers just seem to go to die. There's no career advancement, there's no shot at "glory" in the NFL playoffs, and you're pretty much a foil to three other teams in the division with better run organizations.

There's only one shot you have at lifting this franchise out of the dumps and one shot only You finally swallow your drat pride and finally find a way to draft the damned grade A, top 5, "Number 1 Draft Pick" that you've not been able to do since 1999. I don't know how you do it, but that really needs to be what they do.

That's your one shot. You have to find football LeBron, and fit like hell to beat out any other rear end in a top hat team that would remotely want him.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Mar 9, 2015

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

FuzzySkinner posted:

To be honest.

I don't feel like the Browns...the way things are currently set up are in the position to even remotely be a team that's on the path to contend for a Super Bowl or AFC Title within 5, 10 years.

Which sucks. I don't think there's a single franchise in pro football that's really in that same boat save for maybe Buffalo.

i seem to recall someone pointing out how much the Browns have in terms of Salary Cap (2nd in the league, correct?), and how you know...in theory they could sign a lot of big name free agents.

The thing is...no...no they cannot. They don't live in a market where you could land a free agent, and they don't have any sort of "mystique" towards any free agent in terms of how the organization is ran. I mean, if you're a kid and you've been on this planet since 1990, who are the Browns to you? A consistent joke of a franchise where careers just seem to go to die. There's no career advancement, there's no shot at "glory" in the NFL playoffs, and you're pretty much a foil to three other teams in the division with better run organizations.

There's only one shot you have at lifting this franchise out of the dumps and one shot only You finally swallow your drat pride and finally find a way to draft the damned grade A, top 5, "Number 1 Draft Pick" that you've not been able to do since 1999. I don't know how you do it, but that really needs to be what they do.

That's your one shot. You have to find football LeBron, and fit like hell to beat out any other rear end in a top hat team that would remotely want him.

There is no football LeBron obviously. The concept is hard to imagine, but it would take a QB who could produce as an elite passer and an elite ball carrier, despite marginal offensive lines. He would also need to be about 3 defensive linemen. (Cam Heyward-Newton?) I guess what I'm saying is that basketball is different from football and one player is not going to save a team.

Drafting consistently is what they need to do, which takes luck, and to actually turn the ship around they need to string together about 3 drafts where they take 3-4 above average starters and at least 1 borderline All Pro. Not sure if there is precedent for that? Also, their opportunity to do that was the past 4 years where they had extra 1st rounders for some reason.

say no to bats
Aug 15, 2001
Rumblee tumblee, climin' a hunny tree
General Browns news from one of the best Browns sources

LA - theOBR ‏@LaneAdkins

People bitch about them doing little, they have been working it, getting players to openly come to CLE isn’t simple even with $$

LA - theOBR @LaneAdkins ·

Bullshit, they’re having all sorts of issue getting players to buy in and take deals

LA - theOBR @LaneAdkins

Midwest, losing isn’t an easy sell

LA - theOBR @LaneAdkins

CLE is not a great destination for many reasons, not an easy sell

:laugh:

If you read the OBR or other large Browns fan forums, a majority of people there act shocked and insulted every loving FA period when the Browns are used like the tool they are to ratchet up contracts for players for their real destination. Its funny how every year so many Browns fans just shove their head in the sand and pretend the team is great, the city is great, and people have a positive view of the team on and off the field. Because its great. Totally.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
I don't think free agents should go to Cleveland and play for the Browns because either one is great, I think they should because the Browns should offer them competitive contracts. Brooks Reed is "leaning toward" signing with the Falcons, Suh is going to the Dolphins, Maclin to the Chiefs, on and on. None of those are "good" teams and only Miami is considered an attractive destination city. Those players are signing with those teams because they're paying them money, and if the Browns aren't signing anyone, I have to assume it's because they're not offering enough. There might be a loser tax, but if there is you just gotta pay it rather than throw your hands up and say well we're in the Midwest what can we do but field the league's least talented team!!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

say no to bats posted:

General Browns news from one of the best Browns sources

LA - theOBR ‏@LaneAdkins

People bitch about them doing little, they have been working it, getting players to openly come to CLE isn’t simple even with $$

LA - theOBR @LaneAdkins ·

Bullshit, they’re having all sorts of issue getting players to buy in and take deals

LA - theOBR @LaneAdkins

Midwest, losing isn’t an easy sell

LA - theOBR @LaneAdkins

CLE is not a great destination for many reasons, not an easy sell

:laugh:

If you read the OBR or other large Browns fan forums, a majority of people there act shocked and insulted every loving FA period when the Browns are used like the tool they are to ratchet up contracts for players for their real destination. Its funny how every year so many Browns fans just shove their head in the sand and pretend the team is great, the city is great, and people have a positive view of the team on and off the field. Because its great. Totally.

I want the Browns to be good so bad. Just one good year.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

I don't think free agents should go to Cleveland and play for the Browns because either one is great, I think they should because the Browns should offer them competitive contracts. Brooks Reed is "leaning toward" signing with the Falcons, Suh is going to the Dolphins, Maclin to the Chiefs, on and on. None of those are "good" teams and only Miami is considered an attractive destination city. Those players are signing with those teams because they're paying them money, and if the Browns aren't signing anyone, I have to assume it's because they're not offering enough. There might be a loser tax, but if there is you just gotta pay it rather than throw your hands up and say well we're in the Midwest what can we do but field the league's least talented team!!

They just paid a mccown a zillion dollars to play poorly.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
I think you're agreeing with me, in that they aren't signing any good free agents? They haven't even been linked to any good free agents. I'm just saying the reason why is not that oh, Cleveland's just too sad of a place to live. The reason is, they aren't offering anyone competitive contracts.

They signed McCown for $14M over 3 years. Less than half of the contract is guaranteed, which is lower than most QB contracts. It's not like they gave him 80 mill

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
I'm sure they are bring competitive but the team and ownership are in a constant flux of stupidity so I'd think guys with options probably would be warned away by their agents and friends in the league. It has to be a bottom five destination between the bad weather and terrible recent on field performance.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

The problem is that for a Cleveland contract to be competitive they have to offer significantly more money than another team, because there are still reasons FAs choose teams besides contracts and the weather. For example, Maclin wouldn't be choosing Cleveland over KC if the Browns offered his KC contract plus a few hundred thousand here and there. You'd have to offer enough extra cash to make up for whatever he values Reid and a competent organization to be worth (plus however much he values his ties to the area).

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

it's a poo poo team in a poo poo market. That's the problem. You be one or the other, but not both.

You're not Miami. You're not Tampa (Siesta Key/Clearwater beach ftw), You're not Chicago. You're not New York. You're not San Diego.

You're Cleveland. End of story. You're a city with some insanely loyal fans, but you're not exactly within range to do much of anything.

It's not impossible to turn something like this around, but to be honest? They need to look at what happened that made teams like the Bills in the 90's good or that made the Steelers consistently good for a decade.

Those are two teams in similar markets, with similar histories that have found ways to have a consistent form of success in some manner.

If the Browns were somehow coming off two playoff appearances (hell, even ONE), do you think that Free Agents are using this team as leverage? gently caress no.

It's a two step process.

Find that loving FRANCHISE Quarterback that you keep wussing out on trading up for. (durr, guess we'll trade down, and draft one in the 5th round. loving morons).

And

Draft as best as you can ensuring there's no room for error.

Otherwise you're stuck in the hell of 5 and 11.

fan of the browns
Apr 6, 2012

my enemy...
the enemy of every human who has ever lived...
this is the life-force that watches over the Dinosaurs.
But they got Brian Hartline...soooo....:butt:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

FuzzySkinner posted:

Find that loving FRANCHISE Quarterback that you keep wussing out on trading up for. (durr, guess we'll trade down, and draft one in the 5th round. loving morons).

Yes, please do. I'm tired of the biggest draft bust in NFL history being a Raider.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Volkerball posted:

Yes, please do. I'm tired of the biggest draft bust in NFL history being a Raider.

Ryan Leaf did not play for the Raiders :colbert:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Hey at least you guys aren't the niners

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

FuzzySkinner posted:

it's a poo poo team in a poo poo market. That's the problem. You be one or the other, but not both.

You're not Miami. You're not Tampa (Siesta Key/Clearwater beach ftw), You're not Chicago. You're not New York. You're not San Diego.

You're Cleveland. End of story. You're a city with some insanely loyal fans, but you're not exactly within range to do much of anything.

It's not impossible to turn something like this around, but to be honest? They need to look at what happened that made teams like the Bills in the 90's good or that made the Steelers consistently good for a decade.

Those are two teams in similar markets, with similar histories that have found ways to have a consistent form of success in some manner.

If the Browns were somehow coming off two playoff appearances (hell, even ONE), do you think that Free Agents are using this team as leverage? gently caress no.

It's a two step process.

And

Draft as best as you can ensuring there's no room for error.

Otherwise you're stuck in the hell of 5 and 11.

You can't be sure of mortgaging your future to trade up for a supposed star rookie QB. Ask the Redskins. Now maybe if we could have traded for Luck, since he was so much more of a sure thing, there might be a conversation, but prospects like those are rare, and even rarer that the team at #1 doesn't want to pick him.

Who else could the Browns have traded up for? Blake Bortles? They could have stayed put and taken Bridgewater, but obviously he wasn't a sure thing and still isn't.

My point is, trading up for a guy doesn't make him good. It's bad enough we blew pick #22 on Manziel, if we were going all-out to get our franchise QB we could have blown pick #6 on him.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

MonsterWalk posted:

But they got Brian Hartline...soooo....:butt:

My alma mater went 2-1 against him when I was played* there :smug:.He also went to my church., oddly enough. Wonder if Dustin Fox had anything to do with this, and I'm being serious.

*stood on the sidelines, but do not take this away from me!

Pancakes by Mail
Oct 21, 2010

Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Goaltender Carey Price was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to discover ice.

FuzzySkinner posted:

I don't think there's a single franchise in pro football that's really in that same boat save for maybe Buffalo.

Ahem the Bills have a pretty legit defense and a few reasonably useful offensive pieces. QB continues to be a glaring hole, the O-line needs help, and a TE would be wonderful, but I don't think they're in the same boat as the Browns by a long shot, honestly. And I say that as someone who wants nothing but the best for Cleveland, truly.

I don't know what I would do if handed the reins to the Browns. There are organizational issues at every level, zero stability for anyone, and the roster is porous and stitched together like a rotting old fishing net. In a day and age where relocation is not entirely out of the question for probably the majority of teams, it's not feasible to ask them to rip out all the fetid roots of the thing and start from literal square 1, hoping to put together a competent, sturdy-foundation 8-8 team on the upswing within like 5 years. It's not doable.

Pancakes by Mail fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Mar 10, 2015

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

FuzzySkinner posted:

My alma mater went 2-1 against him when I was played* there :smug:.He also went to my church., oddly enough. Wonder if Dustin Fox had anything to do with this, and I'm being serious.

*stood on the sidelines, but do not take this away from me!

Tigers?

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
It's hard to get into comparisons, there's no good metric. By win-loss record, the Browns just had one of their better seasons of the last decade...then the OC begged his way out, the veteran QB hit free agency, the rookie QB hit rehab, our top draft picks were called out for lack of effort and Josh Gordon swung by the suspension library and got his renewed for a year. With him out, our top receiving threat was our TE whose bell has been rung repeatedly and who is also a free agent, and our main FA signing is a QB whose win-loss record is more lopsided than his birth month-year

The Bills meanwhile might be scrabbling things together. The trajectories are very different

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Think Federal League.

Also Massillon should join us. Was weird as hell having to play Boardman and Austintown Fitch growing up...loving long rear end drive that way.

• Locked thread