Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
A horrible idea by a horrible person:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-03-08/twiggy-forrest-plan-for-droughtproofing-australia/6287690 posted:

Iron ore billionaire Andrew 'Twiggy' Forrest has a dream, and like most things he's tackled in his business life, it is big.

Mr Forrest wants to droughtproof Australia.

"Everything I know starts with a dream, and the dream I want to share with you is an Australia which does not fear lack of water," he told a conference in Canberra this week.

Mr Forrest's plan is to harvest 5,000 gigalitres of water from underground aquifers and rivers to droughtproof existing agricultural areas, and open up thousands of hectares of land for new agricultural projects.

"It will make our entire nation stronger," he said, as he announced his grand waterproofing plan at the annual ABARES (Australian Bureau of Agricultural and Resource Economics and Sciences) Outlook conference in Canberra.

Mr Forrest said the plan stemmed from his childhood growing up on a station in the Pilbara.

"I grew up in the bush and the pastoral station in the Pilbara in the far north-west isolated outback," he said.

"I saw the agony and I felt the pain it caused my parents, such anguish as they bore personal witness to the ravaging effects of drought while the vegetation around us wilted.

"It was not until I saw the wildlife, the birds, the kangaroos, emus, goannas and eventually the sheep and cattle all meet - by their thousands - their dry and dusty and painful death. It's those emotions that I can never forget."

Project calls for support of Chinese and Australian governments

Mr Forrest expects his plan will attract sceptics and critics, but maintains with support from the Australian and Chinese governments, financial backing from Chinese investors, and advice from Australia's top water scientists, it can be done.

"Development of such a massive and underutilised resource will take serious investment," he said.

"I can assemble the people with that same innovative spirit and project leadership that helped me build Fortescue from scratch to the great company it is today."

He anticipated much of the funding would come from Chinese investors.

"They are capable of being long, strong and passive partners on massive scale which our capital alone could not develop," Mr Forrest said.

He said the Chinese would not be intimidated by the amount of capital required or the long-term nature of the payback.

Mick Keogh, executive director of the Australian Farm Institute, said it was unlikely the money needed could be found in Australia.

"If we look at the examples of Cubbie and Ord stage two, I am not sure there is the investment appetite in the Australian financial sector to take on the risks and time frames associated with getting those operational and making them profitable," he said.

"I don't think we have much choice that the patient capital is going to come from overseas for those sorts of projects, so I think he is right in engaging the Chinese demand."
'Infrastructure key to unlocking potential of Australian agriculture'

Mr Forrest said it was time to spend big on infrastructure, as recent free trade agreements with Asian countries would bring enormous opportunities for Australian farmers.

"Infrastructure is the great key to unlocking the potential of Australian agriculture," he said.

"It is what builds nations."

Mr Forrest nominated the Canning Basin in Western Australia as a good place to start.

"If we locate many of our water intensive industries to the Canning Basin where there is yet none we'd barely dent its huge water carrying capacity," he said.

"Each year its recharges is literally topped up again like a bath tub. Take it out at one end, its topped up again the other."

Mr Forrest said Australia's agricultural sector reminded him of the self-evident opportunity he saw when he started Fortescue in the early 2000s.

"I had a vision for the iron ore industry and now it's one of the world's largest iron ore complexes exporting $15 to 20 billion worth of iron ore a year," he said.

Mr Forrest said he would have a scoping study done by the end of the year.

Ambitious plan welcomed by Truss, National Farmers' Federation

At the conference, his plan, while light on detail, was welcomed as the sort of bold transformational thinking required if Australian farmers were to capitalise on the opportunities opening up in Asia.

"Sounds good to me, we just have to find a practical way of doing it," Federal Infrastructure Minister Warren Truss said.

"Everyone likes to quote the statistic that 60 per cent of the nation's rain falls in the north and very little is used for agriculture, so clearly there is enormous potential to harvest the northern rivers."

National Farmers' Federation chief executive Simon Talbot was also full of praise for Mr Forrest's vision.

"Twiggy is great, the one thing we need in agriculture is leadership. We want to see Twiggy invest and other entrepreneurs invest as well," Mr Talbot said.

Mr Forrest's great-great uncle John Forrest was an explorer.

As his great-great nephew pitched his grand water plan he invoked the spirit of the early pioneers, who had no idea of the extraordinary water resource underneath them.

"So many explorers met their own deaths yet it was not in front of them but beneath their feet," Mr Forrest said.

It is that life saving underground water he plans to harvest and put to work.

What could possibly go wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I don't know why he keeps getting given a platform for his harebrained schemes. First welfare reform and now this. I wish I was a loudmouth billionaire so people would put my halfbaked ideas on TV.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
Abbott.

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

lol the country is fed up with your safe spaces and trigger warnings you useless special snowflakes, send the sjws to mexico
Media address by Abbott and co regarding Westconnex was just.... ehh

Happy S(f)unday!

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Periphery posted:

Hey, hey.

Let's just hold our judgement until Alan Jones gives his view please.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
Please pay some tax first Twiggy.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?
BHP and Rio Tinto are doing their best to kill off their 2nd tier competitors (eg FMG, Atlas, Hancock) by maintaining high production levels and driving down prices.

If they get their way, the iron ore industry in W. Australia will resemble the supermarket duopoly.

Small price to pay for loving off Twiggy and Gina?

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Mr Chips posted:

BHP and Rio Tinto are doing their best to kill off their 2nd tier competitors (eg FMG, Atlas, Hancock) by maintaining high production levels and driving down prices.

If they get their way, the iron ore industry in W. Australia will resemble the supermarket duopoly.

Small price to pay for loving off Twiggy and Gina?

Its already a duopoly in WA given that, from memory, Rio and BHP already own like 80 - 90% of iron ore production. They're doing this more to maintain market share given the slump in demand and also to meet Vale's increased production and push into China.

Fortescue is in trouble sure but Hancock is A-OK given that Rio runs and operates all the mines while Gina sits back and enjoys those sweet, sweet royalty payments she worked so hard to inherit.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Mr Chips posted:

Fast being resigned to history though. Aldi are smashing that and Amazon have barely entered the market.

There are worse duopolies for basic foodstuffs though. All supermarket bread brands are provided by only two conglomerates.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Periphery posted:

quote:

"If we locate many of our water intensive industries to the Canning Basin where there is yet none we'd barely dent its huge water carrying capacity," he said.

"Each year its recharges is literally topped up again like a bath tub. Take it out at one end, its topped up again the other."

Hahahahaha.

open24hours posted:

I don't know why he keeps getting given a platform for his harebrained schemes. First welfare reform and now this. I wish I was a loudmouth billionaire so people would put my halfbaked ideas on TV.

Espouses views popular with the rest of the ruling class.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
A slight update on the peddo van business. One of my sources was down in the area and reports that the man in question had two foster children removed from his care three years ago and this is why he is a person of interest to the police. They didn't sight the van however. The person has not been charged of any crime (related to children) at any point and I am now effectively just spreading rumour.

In NSW election news the LNP are guaranteeing power prices will fall if they privatise the poles and wires and have banned speaking in Abrabic in prison if you are a 'terror' offender.

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2015/03/08/hazzard-imposes-arabic-ban-goulburn-jail

quote:

Hazzard imposes Arabic ban at Goulburn jail

Inmates charged with terror offences will reportedly be banned from speaking Arabic during visits. (AAP)

NSW's attorney-general has ordered that high-risk inmates charged with terror offences will be banned from speaking Arabic during visits and phone calls.

8 MAR 2015 - 6:15 AM UPDATED 1 HOUR AGO

High-risk inmates charged with terror offences will be banned from speaking Arabic during visits and phone calls in the super-maximum prison unit at NSW's Goulburn jail, it's been reported.

From Sunday, 13 inmates classified as Extreme High Risk Restricted will be forced to speak English when communicating with the outside, News Corp Australia reports.

Letters will also be required to be written in English under the new restrictions at SuperMax.

NSW Attorney-General Brad Hazzard said he ordered the restrictions in response to the nation's heightened terror climate.

During visits, prison officers will stand within earshot of inmates and record their conversations, with the power to eject visitors if Arabic or other languages are spoken.
Chilling. Welcome to the new police state! Dog whistle included!

Misguided Muppet State Government.

Kim Jong ill
Jul 28, 2010

NORTH KOREA IS ONLY KOREA.
Listening to my managers at work happily talk about the gentrification of Redfern and how good it is that most of the aboriginals have been pushed out. loving hell.

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

My Breasts.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Kegslayer posted:

Fortescue is in trouble sure but Hancock is A-OK given that Rio runs and operates all the mines while Gina sits back and enjoys those sweet, sweet royalty payments she worked so hard to inherit.
Except for Roy Hill - she's borrowed several billion dollars to get that one up off the ground. The high level of automation there might stave off a shutdown though.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
My Abbreasts

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Cartoon posted:

A slight update on the peddo van business. One of my sources was down in the area and reports that the man in question had two foster children removed from his care three years ago and this is why he is a person of interest to the police. They didn't sight the van however. The person has not been charged of any crime (related to children) at any point and I am now effectively just spreading rumour.

In NSW election news the LNP are guaranteeing power prices will fall if they privatise the poles and wires and have banned speaking in Abrabic in prison if you are a 'terror' offender.

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2015/03/08/hazzard-imposes-arabic-ban-goulburn-jail

Holy poo poo now we're just ripping off the onion, wholesale.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
My bust.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Cartoon posted:

In NSW election news the LNP are guaranteeing power prices will fall

They're actually right about this but the prices are due to fall regardless of privatization.

The current AER proposed determination is completely unsustainable and unless the appeal from the various retailers succeed, the new set price will either bankrupt them or they'll need to cut thousands of staff and start selling certain assets.

Mr Chips posted:

Except for Roy Hill - she's borrowed several billion dollars to get that one up off the ground. The high level of automation there might stave off a shutdown though.

This is true but Roy Hill is pretty much funded by multinationals who are investing in it for strategic rather than pure financial reasons which is why the debt is provided mostly by ECAs. Ex-Im have already locked in a lot of Roy Hill's procurement and the various Asian firms/Chaebols like Samsung are in it to mainly diversify iron ore suppliers beyond Rio and BHP.

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Cartoon posted:

You'd think a better solution would be hire guards that speak arabic to monitor these people while they're in prison but how could we possibly know those guards aren't also terrorists!!!

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I mean thats obviously assuming people in jail for terror related offences are communicating with each other in prison to coordinate criminal activity to begin with

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Kim Jong ill posted:

Listening to my managers at work happily talk about the gentrification of Redfern and how good it is that most of the aboriginals have been pushed out. loving hell.

Is there anything good to read about the history of Redfern? I'm curious why (and when) it ended up as an Aboriginal ghetto in the first place.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

http://faculty.arch.usyd.edu.au/web/current/topic1/Attajarusit+Burdon+Burgess+Boyle%28T1%29/prepost%20colonial.pdf

This seems like a decent overview, but it's pretty light on detail.

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Can someone explain to me what the controversy is about phonics and why Pyne has such a hard-on for them.

Learning phonics is great for teaching pronunciation, but it's dog poo poo for learning how to read because it has nothing to do with understanding what the words you're learning to say out loud actually mean. You're literally just teaching children that certain sounds correspond to certain printed symbols, and not creating any connection to already understood meaning or building the schema required to understand the text, which is necessary to evaluate or respond to it.

In other words, Tories are trying to remove critical thinking from the curriculum. Again.

It's very good at making (some) NAPLAN numbers go up, though, and it fits nicely into the "common sense" worldview that talkback radio hosts and conservative politicians like to live by.

Smegmatron fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Mar 8, 2015

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
So the culture war has manifested itself in a dispute about teaching reading. What other stuff is Pyne coming up with, rote learning? The cane?

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
Assuming he understands the consequences of his position is probably giving him too much credit.

It smacks of one of those situations where Ray Hadley and Beryl from Sunshine would say "it just makes sense because it's common sense!" and scoff at all of the teachers, linguists, and developmental psychologists who don't know what they're talking about when it comes to how people learn to read.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

People on the right have been pushing phonics for years (the Reading Wars), it's not something Pyne dredged up by himself.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Jumpingmanjim posted:

So the culture war has manifested itself in a dispute about teaching reading. What other stuff is Pyne coming up with, rote learning? The cane?

Murder He Rote.

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

Doctor Spaceman posted:

People on the right have been pushing phonics for years (the Reading Wars), it's not something Pyne dredged up by himself.

I was about to say that it's probably also giving Pyne too much credit to assume he came up with this idea himself.

I haven't been following it because I'm not a primary school teacher and my field (ESL) is largely immune from this because nobody in government cares what international students are being taught as long as they're paying and have a visa, but yeah, it makes total sense that Pyne is just picking up where some other luddite left off.

It's just another round in the endless education battle that consists of people who check to see whether pedagogy is effective fighting against people who think it's all a bunch of elitist wank and the hypodermic model is perfectly valid because it's simple and easy to understand.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

There was a bit of a push for it under Howard I think, and it's a pet issue of a few people (like Miranda Devine) so it never completely disappears from the sphere of public debate.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Lack of phonics education causes bushfires.

quote:

IT’S not making excuses, but there’s a good chance that the juveniles who allegedly lit the fires that engulfed NSW last week have problems with reading.

The best predictor of juvenile delinquency is illiteracy. Being unable to read means you are disenfranchised from society and condemned to a life on the margins. Little wonder, with illiteracy entrenched among Australian youth, we are seeing angry youngsters who express their rage with a match - or, more often, by quietly committing suicide or spiralling into drug addiction. It is a problem that has vexed Rev Bill Crews since he first started burying the street kids who turned to his Ashfield Uniting Church for help in the 1990s. The common denominator was all had endured seven years of primary school without learning to read. Once they reached high school, they were lost.

If there is one way the state can make a difference in people’s lives, irrespective of parental quality, it is by providing a good education. And the most important component of a good education is learning to read. From that, everything else flows.

Yet our education establishment continues wilfully to obstruct the systematic, phonics-based approach that all evidence has proved is the best way to teach children to read.

There is a pretence that phonics is incorporated into the system but it is the same lip service authorities give to bushfire hazard reduction. A little bit here and there which amounts to a pile of nothing.

Just as green ideology is behind the reluctance to prevent bushfires in the only way known to man so, too, is ideology behind the resistance against the teaching of phonics. How ideology infected reading instruction is explained in a brilliant new paper by researchers Jennifer Buckingham, Kevin Wheldall and Robyn Beaman Wheldall for the Centre for Independent Studies: “Why Jaydon can’t read: the triumph of ideology over evidence in teaching reading”.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Lack of phonics education causes bushfires.

The ‘enlightened’ teachers would no doubt reason “ well I can read, so it worked for me, so it must must be right”. Ignorance is many things besides bliss.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
In my completely anecdotal experience, I was taught to read from phonics, but then it was definitely handy because we had to learn Maori words and place names and things so learning the sounds of the words was helpful in asking about and pronouncing places whose literal meaning wasn't important to us v:shobon:v

But that being said I was taught to read like 25+ years ago and as a big-boy-pants-wearer I definitely don't sit there sounding out all the syllables when I read unless it's a name. Phonics is a good tool for reading and pronunciation but it's not the entire garden shed of language helpers.

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
The idea that endemic illiteracy is somehow because of a lack of phonics is pretty loving laughable given that to my knowledge phonics was the sole focus of the reading curriculum for most of the last 100 years and illiteracy isn't some thing that appeared magically however long ago they stopped using it as the primary method

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

As the state with the worst literacy, there's a pretty good case for illiteracy being caused by being Tasmanian.

Personally, as a Tasmanian, I know I can't read. I can't write either. I just slap my keyboard ineffectually, hoping my posting quality is good by chance.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO

Endman posted:

igrigeoih gpiaehgpih aegihaeg 8gh890gh 08h ga30hagoehaegl ealgjhapj ak'egajeg n ge8089eagnaje ljaeieuohvlnljfvbn voj oe

Just keep at it, buddy. You're getting better every time.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Aaronicon posted:

Just keep at it, buddy. You're getting better every time.

:unsmith:

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Just on the 'Greens are behind it' propaganda. :siren:Anecdote incoming:siren:

An acquaintance has recently suffered a fruit bat infestation. After doing everything they thought appropriate they went to the local council (A move only the truly desperate would contemplate). Now even accounting for the confusion in one of our local council employee's head at a rate payer who hadn't already illegally bulldozed the habitat or illegally and unethically poisoned everything for a couple of kilometres, It's hard to understand the advice. The council can't do anything about it because of The Greens. The Greens who haven't been in power in any jurisdiction within hundreds of kilometres. Yep those Greens. Clearly we need to be afraid of The Greens as they are using eldritch power beyond the keen of logic or science.

Also LOLOLOLOLOL at attempting to find a scientific basis for an LNP policy. We'll get the Minister right on it! Those who haven't had the pleasure can take solace in the knowledge that he is thicker than any of the shortest two planks available in the Western world and wouldn't know a science if it ran over him on combine harvester. He additionally has all the vision of a large block of rusty scarp iron.

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

Phonics is part of direct instruction, which goes back to the hypodermic model of communication, and that's what they really want to bring back. The idea is basically that you get told something, you remember it, and that means you've learned it. Its been discredited as a communication model for decades, let alone a pedagogical strategy, but it makes sense to Jerry from Doonside and he votes, so lets go with it.

The alternative is what we do now - constructivist or inquiry-based learning - and it involves experiencing the material directly, asking questions and finding the answers with the teacher acting more as a guide than instructor. You can understand why conservatives might not like this.

Smegmatron fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Mar 8, 2015

Endman
May 18, 2010

Conservatives are loving with the very basic principles behind how children learn, but of course it's THUR GREEENS who are really responsible for the downfall of our nation by imposing their nonexistent will on local councils everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endman
May 18, 2010

Green scapegoating is a strong part of our national culture which, I'm very sorry to say, is also caused by Tasmania.

• Locked thread