Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Do you have any strong feelings about the back of the chair? I notice that you have a lot of options for fabric/mesh for the back and I honestly am afraid I will get the wrong one. What is considered the "best" backing?

Same question but with the grading of the seat material. I am not sure what "grade" refers to here, any help?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chrisf
Feb 29, 2008

So is there some trick to leaning back on the OM5 without going to full 45 degree recline mode?

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

chrisf posted:

So is there some trick to leaning back on the OM5 without going to full 45 degree recline mode?
Just lean back slightly? I've had an OM5 for years now and haven't had an issue leaning back slightly.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Bought a refurbished Aeron with a warranty today for $450 from a vendor. Very pleased so far.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
How do you people find these vendors :/

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I saw a lot of them advertising on Craigslist and eBay. This guy was on both and was only 20 minutes away from me. I put this chair and a brand new chair side by side and I couldn't tell the difference. He told me he stocks parts, so he completely refurbishes everything that he gets.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
drat have a link to his eBay page?

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Anyone know how to take this chair apart? My job is letting me take one home and I'm not sure it'll fit in my trunk.

I'm going to see if I can find assembly/dis-assembly instructions on the "Knoll" somewhere.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

rock2much posted:

Anyone know how to take this chair apart? My job is letting me take one home and I'm not sure it'll fit in my trunk.

I'm going to see if I can find assembly/dis-assembly instructions on the "Knoll" somewhere.

Just sit in and scoot your way home!

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Knifegrab posted:

Do you have any strong feelings about the back of the chair? I notice that you have a lot of options for fabric/mesh for the back and I honestly am afraid I will get the wrong one. What is considered the "best" backing?

Same question but with the grading of the seat material. I am not sure what "grade" refers to here, any help?

I am about to buy an OM5, but I need help on these questions before I make this 600 dollar commitment.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Knifegrab posted:

I am about to buy an OM5, but I need help on these questions before I make this 600 dollar commitment.

Have you tried calling or e-mailing Office Master directly? Just pretend to be a small business and ask about the features of that line and they might be able to help you with an explanation of the various options.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Have you tried calling or e-mailing Office Master directly? Just pretend to be a small business and ask about the features of that line and they might be able to help you with an explanation of the various options.

I called, got told to speak to a local distributor. Called a place and they couldn't tell me anything really, other than describing what they looked like which I already know :(

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Etrips posted:

drat have a link to his eBay page?

http://www.ebay.com/usr/traderstuarta?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

quote:

He is the "Chairman of the World"

Well poo poo, now I want to buy from him because that sort of punnery should be rewarded.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I bought a Herman Miller Celle for ~£300 four years ago, awesome chair. Was looking for a second but the Celle is now over £500 everywhere. I think they are semi-discontinued but there doesn't seem to be any replacement for it in that price range since the Mirra is also considerably more expensive. I guess HM only want to sell expensive poo poo now :( .

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Knifegrab posted:

I called, got told to speak to a local distributor. Called a place and they couldn't tell me anything really, other than describing what they looked like which I already know :(

Sorry, I don't watch this thread closely sometimes. PM me, or if you don't have PMs just ask your questions here. I work for a local distributor, but I know a HELL of a lot more about the chairs and in particular the OM5 than most of the other ones.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Sorry, I don't watch this thread closely sometimes. PM me, or if you don't have PMs just ask your questions here. I work for a local distributor, but I know a HELL of a lot more about the chairs and in particular the OM5 than most of the other ones.

Thanks, I sent you a pm.

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474
Jan 12, 2006

eat your vegetables dot com
What are the thread's thoughts on DXRACER chairs? $300 seems like a sweet spot for me price-wise, and they certainly look comfortable (and sound comfortable from a few pro gamers' descriptions, though who knows who's sponsored by them and have to say that.) Are they worth the cash? Will they fit my tall-rear end self (6'3)?

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

It seems the the Steelcase Gesture is right for me. Who has the best price for it? My local CL has nothing. I want to see it in person in some capacity, to see how it feels.

enMTW fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Mar 11, 2015

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474 posted:

What are the thread's thoughts on DXRACER chairs? $300 seems like a sweet spot for me price-wise, and they certainly look comfortable (and sound comfortable from a few pro gamers' descriptions, though who knows who's sponsored by them and have to say that.) Are they worth the cash? Will they fit my tall-rear end self (6'3)?
I got one myself about a year ago maybe. I am the same height as you.

I love it. It feels exactly like my car seat to me - which feels really good. Even when I lean back my head is not hanging over the top of the headrest.

The only thing "loose" feeling are the armrests. I do not lean on mine at all, but if I was that type of sitter I don't think I would like it.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Knifegrab posted:

Thanks, I sent you a pm.

Glad I could help!

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474 posted:

It's a little silly/pointless that it's styled like a racecar seat as there's no ergonomic reason for that. But you can do a lot worse for $300.

lollybo
Dec 29, 2008
On one of my leap v1 chairs, the backrest is a little stiff compared to my other one, and as a result is a little less comfortable as it doesn't conform to my back position as much. Is there any way to loosen up the mechanism so the backrest is flexible and moves to and fro smoothly like in my more comfortable chair? I am not talking about the "upper back force" adjustment, as even on a similar setting the stiff chair will have unequal resistance when leaning back on it.

lollybo fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Mar 14, 2015

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Been sitting in the om5 for a couple of days. It's way too eager to recline. Maybe this works for waif people, but it's clearly not resisting my 295 pound body that well, despite being the "xt" model. I can't find anywhere to adjust how much it resists reclining, so I'm finding myself slouching forward in this thing to avoid sitting all the way back.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Been sitting in the om5 for a couple of days. It's way too eager to recline. Maybe this works for waif people, but it's clearly not resisting my 295 pound body that well, despite being the "xt" model. I can't find anywhere to adjust how much it resists reclining, so I'm finding myself slouching forward in this thing to avoid sitting all the way back.

PM me, I may have a fix for you.

Edit: Oh wait, looks like you don't have PMs. Email me here: railocstc @ gmail.com

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Mar 19, 2015

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Rotten Red Rod posted:

PM me, I may have a fix for you.

Edit: Oh wait, looks like you don't have PMs. Email me here: railocstc @ gmail.com

Email sent.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Is 350$ for a used Leap v2 (black cloth) too good to be true? The photos & description reveal scuffs and scratches that look like from bonking into office furniture and some fabric wear but nothing that looks severe or gross.

Should I be concerned about the seat cushion being worn out on a well-used one or anything like that?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
With used chairs I always look for stuff you can't fix like tears or defective parts vs things that you can fix or cheaply replace loose bolts and worn down arm rests. $350 used is fine, just be sure to take 5 minutes sitting in it and examine it top to bottom. Try all the adjustments, look for anything weird like stress fractures/etc.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Ordered an OfficeMaster OM5 from ergowest, will give a trip report once it comes and I have some time with it.

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Probably should have asked here first. Was looking for a decent low cost chair for a fatty and found the Arozzi Monza Series Gaming Racing Style Swivel Chair. Anyone know anything about these? Just bought one on Amazon a few minutes ago basically blind. I still have time to cancel if it's horrible!

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Obscurity posted:

Probably should have asked here first. Was looking for a decent low cost chair for a fatty and found the Arozzi Monza Series Gaming Racing Style Swivel Chair. Anyone know anything about these? Just bought one on Amazon a few minutes ago basically blind. I still have time to cancel if it's horrible!

I'd cancel it and read the thread a bit and learn about your options and prices, you can learn stuff over the weekend and reorder it on monday if you decide that it's worth the money and would fit your needs.

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I'd cancel it and read the thread a bit and learn about your options and prices, you can learn stuff over the weekend and reorder it on monday if you decide that it's worth the money and would fit your needs.

44 pages and I don't have search function. Not easy to comb through it all :(

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Obscurity posted:

OK, so easy money says your chair is simply too cheap to be of good quality. Unless you use it sparingly and you are relatively skinny, it will almost certainly start to degrade within a year or three with wobbling, torn and/or worn upholstery, non-functional controls, etc.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Obscurity posted:

I've read the whole thread and I haven't seen the one you were looking at mentioned. It's probably pretty crap and will wear out in 1-2 years, most cheaper office chairs are like that unfortunately. The usual go to recommendation in your price range is the Ikea Markus. It has a 10 year warranty so it should hold up fairly well. Another good option is to look for a used Steelcase Leap or other good ergonomic chair on craigslist, you can find ones in good condition pretty cheap and they will be far better than any other option.

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I've read the whole thread and I haven't seen the one you were looking at mentioned. It's probably pretty crap and will wear out in 1-2 years, most cheaper office chairs are like that unfortunately. The usual go to recommendation in your price range is the Ikea Markus. It has a 10 year warranty so it should hold up fairly well. Another good option is to look for a used Steelcase Leap or other good ergonomic chair on craigslist, you can find ones in good condition pretty cheap and they will be far better than any other option.

That Ikea only goes to 250lb. I'm too big. I checked craigslist and all I found was a fat guy trying to sell his DX Racer because the width was too small for his thighs.

Honestly if I am expecting a $200 chair to last around 2-3 years anyways I should be ok with this one? I know it's not ideal but my low budget makes selection limited when I need it to hold my weight.

Unless someone knows a good chair for really big dudes thats $200 or less? :(

Edit: Cancelled order for now. Guess I'll keep looking.

Any of the $225 or less chairs from here good? (Have a 25$ off coupon)

http://www.bizchair.com/big-and-tall-computer-chairs.html

Zaekkor fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Mar 28, 2015

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Obscurity posted:

That Ikea only goes to 250lb. I'm too big. I checked craigslist and all I found was a fat guy trying to sell his DX Racer because the width was too small for his thighs.

Honestly if I am expecting a $200 chair to last around 2-3 years anyways I should be ok with this one? I know it's not ideal but my low budget makes selection limited when I need it to hold my weight.

Unless someone knows a good chair for really big dudes thats $200 or less? :(

Edit: Cancelled order for now. Guess I'll keep looking.

Any of the $225 or less chairs from here good? (Have a 25$ off coupon)

http://www.bizchair.com/big-and-tall-computer-chairs.html

How much over the 250lb limit are you? You're probably fine up to around 350lb or so in the Markus, it will just wear out more quickly. It's honestly a crap shoot with those cheaper ones, they will all wear out in 1-2 years and depending on their shape they will give you chronic medical problems if you use them long enough. I'd just pick one that looks appealing and then save up over the next couple of years for something decent while checking craigslist for something like a used Leap v2 or Mirra 2.

Sorry, that's just the way the chair market is unfortunately. :(

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

How much over the 250lb limit are you? You're probably fine up to around 350lb or so in the Markus, it will just wear out more quickly. It's honestly a crap shoot with those cheaper ones, they will all wear out in 1-2 years and depending on their shape they will give you chronic medical problems if you use them long enough. I'd just pick one that looks appealing and then save up over the next couple of years for something decent while checking craigslist for something like a used Leap v2 or Mirra 2.

Sorry, that's just the way the chair market is unfortunately. :(

I'm about 370-380. :smith:

So basically if I conceed to a chair only lasting me a year or three I guess I'll be fine.

Edit:

Thinking about one of these 3:
http://www.bizchair.com/60-5800t-com.html
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...pf_rd_i=desktop

Zaekkor fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Mar 28, 2015

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Obscurity posted:

So basically if I conceed to a chair only lasting me a year or three I guess I'll be fine.

Edit:

Yeah, in that case you need a Leap Plus or something but those run over a thousand bucks. In the mean time just get something rated to hold 500lb, it will not last all that long but it should hold up for a while. Unfortunately any of those are probably going to be equally crappy so just pick the one that appeals to you the most.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

What's the thread's consensus on kneeling chairs? Are there any good models out there? What are their main drawbacks?

theHUNGERian fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Mar 28, 2015

mmm11105
Apr 27, 2010
I might be going to check out some used Leaps soon. Anything in particular to check for (bits that break alot, etc.) or comments on high vs mid back models?

For reference the guy's site is here.

mmm11105 fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Mar 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Obscurity posted:

Edit:

Pushing the chairs my company makes as usual: http://www.ergodirect.com/product_info.php?products_id=16174

24 inch wide seat, 450 lb capacity (it says 400 on that page but they just upgraded them recently). Get it with JR77 arms.