Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Rectus posted:

More importantly, what would they use as rookies?

Fairies, duh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

you can do anything, fuzzball youkai vs fairies, yukkuri vs kancles

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

It could work with using soldiers with random protagonist (they die so often anyway) and human character sprites, and most of the aliens replaced with stage enemies.

e: Lunar Capital or Bust.

Rectus fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Mar 3, 2015

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
As long as lunatic red eyes cause my fairy rookies to panic and bomb their own teammates, I'm all on board for an XCOM Touhou mod.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

WarpedNaba posted:

Is Gyakuten Touhou any good? Or is it rather obviously an amateur thing?

I actually picked it up since I liked Gyakuten, but... it did not flow very well, sadly. Seeing Shiki Eiki as the judge is definitely fun, but they can't play clueless judge like they usually can. It'd have been way more fun if Komachi was filling in.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Personally I'd put Yukari as the judge and constantly want to hurry up with a verdict so she can go back to napping.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Or rather Aya/Mokou/Seiga, as part of their community service.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Clarste posted:

Wild and Horned Hermit 24, courtesy of leatherfedora. Touhouwiki link, if the other one isn't available yet.

Also known as "this week on CSI Gensokyo". In which Kasen punches a lightning bolt. Also has links to those rat chapters in FS, if you remember ancient history like that.

i hope marisa and kasen can bond over youkai infanticide

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

just came here to say

KANTAI COLLECTION RULES!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
nah

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The great prophet ZUN has told us not to go to war with Kancolle, and it is by his mercy that you will remain unharmed. Praise ZUN!

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
We drink beer here. Can't operate heavy machinery, little girls or little girls dressed as heavy machinery while drinking.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Yuuka is my favorite touhou :)

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

DrPaper posted:

Yuuka is my favorite touhou :)

Flowers are for sissies

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

DrPaper posted:

just came here to say

KANTAI COLLECTION RULES!

Whoa that's rude!

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
just came in here to say human god sword "eternal truth" is the most fun pattern in touhou

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

nrook posted:

just came in here to say human god sword "eternal truth" is the most fun pattern in touhou

Do you also like Reverse Bow "Decree of the Dream Bow of Heaven & Earth" ?

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

amuayse posted:

Do you also like Reverse Bow "Decree of the Dream Bow of Heaven & Earth" ?

I guess I gotta get around to playing DDC if it has a cool card like that!

e: Human Sword gets extra points for being right next to cards like hell sword: literally impossible and six realms sword: I hear there's a safespot or something?

nrook fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Mar 10, 2015

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Ah the new pivix fad

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
The new Pixiv fad? People with no arms or feet? :confused:

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

FractalSandwich posted:

The new Pixiv fad? People with no arms or feet? :confused:

Swimsuit with a hole for boobs. https://twitter.com/realise55/status/573703059118759936

Similar to the previous pixiv fad, sweater with a hole for boobs.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I don't understand the internet.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

FractalSandwich posted:

"Boobs" is pretty much the only thing about the internet. Not the only thing to understand, just the only thing. Even in a (comparatively) boobless series like this one.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

the wildest rear end posted:

Swimsuit with a hole for boobs.

FractalSandwich posted:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
With the FMW2 LP over, I can finally use my PC again without feeling bad about not translating stuff. :toot:

At the moment I'm working on a decent version of the FMW3 OST; the current one has some really hosed up timings. I also went ahead and corrected what was clearly a mistake on Sanbondo's part by throwing in the game version of Reimu's theme.

I posted the FMW2 OST track list, so I may as well post FMW3's too:

Disc 1 posted:

01. -Fleeting Flame- Firefly Soul (Wriggle's theme)
02. -Fixed Star - Twinkling Rigel (Wriggle's finishing theme)
03. Grilled Lamprey Under the Moonlight (Mystia's theme)
04. Open Human Cage (Mystia's first song)
05. Bye Bye, Chicken Heart (Mystia's second song)
06. Anti-griddle of Anger (Mystia's third song)
07. Westernization and the Flavor of Love (Mystia's fourth song)
08. Pounded Lies and Mochi in the Moonlit Night (Tewi's theme)
09. feel eyes on you (Reisen's theme)
10. Midnight Star Storm (Chapter 40's stage theme)
11. Dream Balancer (Reimu's upgraded theme)
12. Night of the Wishing Star (Event theme)
13. Stardust Hero (Marisa's upgraded theme)
14. Now is the Full Moon (EX Keine's theme)
15. The Arrow Enshrouded in the Night and the Bullet (Chapter 42's stage theme)
16. UDON-ZAM (Reisen's finishing theme [it's not actually her finisher but eh])
17. Mind of Space (Eirin's theme)
18. Eternity Interlude (Chapter 43's intro theme)
19. Surpassing Their Eternity (Chapter 43's stage theme)
20. An Exceedingly Proper, if Arrogant, Game (Kaguya's theme)
21. The Shining Moon Rises on the Absurd Night (End of Imperishable Night's theme)
Yes, there is seriously just a "and the Bullet" tacked on to the end of Eirin's stage theme. I feel like the name is much better without it, but eh. :shrug:

Also Surpassing Their Eternity is kind of a lovely translation of "彼方より永に", but the literal translation (More than That Person in Eternity) is weird as hell so. Translator privileges I guess?

Disc 2 posted:

01. Accel Fox (Ran's theme)
02. Sage, Please Guide Me (Yukari's theme)
03. The Dancing, Blooming, Butterfly Person A!! (Yuyuko's theme)
04. The Flower that Marks the Changing Seasons (ver. I) (Yuuka's theme)
05. Enter the Aluren (Mima's theme)
06. Skygazer (Utsuho's first theme)
07. JAJAAAN ROCK!! (Rin's theme)
08. Resounding Wailing in the Hidden Heart (Parsee's theme)
09. A Single Oni Strikes as Hard as a Thousand, No Help Needed (Yuugi's theme)
10. the eyeline (Satori's theme)
11. Hell's Mantle (Chapter 54's stage theme)
12. The Raven that Ate the Sun (Utsuho's second theme)
13. Smouldering Ash (Chapter 55's stage theme)
14. Fallen Sun on the Surface (Utsuho's third theme)
15. From Now on We'll be Together (Event theme)
16. heart fault (Conversation theme)

Disc 3 posted:

01. Ark of the Spring Sky (Palanquin Ship's theme)
02. Girl on the Tailwind of a Story (Hatate's theme)
03. A Certain Goddess of Misfortune's Song (Hina's finishing theme)
04. Thawy Days (Letty's theme)
05. Heian Chimera Syndrome (Nue's theme)
06. Flanhelp Op.1-496 (Event theme)
07. The Psychotic and Cute Guest (Flandre's theme)
08. Against an Endless Number of Stars (Chapter 49's theme)
09. Lunatic Guardian (Yorihime's theme)
10. That Voice Won't Reach (Reimu's upgraded finishing theme)
11. Those Forgotten Days of Eternity (Conversation theme)
12. To and From a Night Road (Player phase theme)
13. The Intersecting Scenery in Purple (Epilogue theme)
14. Gazing Up at an Endless Space (Credits theme)
15. Crossanchor Murasa (Murasa's theme)
16. The Cloud's Fist (Ichirin's theme)
17. Accel Fox -Need For Speed- (Bonus track)
18. Westernization and the Flavor of Love LIVE in Youkai Mountain (Bonus track)
Some of the song names are spoilers, but everybody who wanted to know probably already knows by now.
Still think it's total bullshit Blazing Star didn't get a Magus Night arrange.

EDIT: Hey, here's a question that's totally not just "which game's OST did you like more".

Soul of Scarlet
The Ayakashi Sheds Spring
Surpassing Eternity

Which song is the best?

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Mar 23, 2015

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

Also Surpassing Their Eternity is kind of a lovely translation of "彼方より永に", but the literal translation (More than That Person in Eternity) is weird as hell so. Translator privileges I guess?

It's a sentence fragment so you just have to guess the context of what the rest of it would be. Although I would have assumed 永に was an adverb, ie: eternally.

Speaking of disagreeing with your translation and thereby exposing myself as a sham, I really dislike your translation of 私たちはこれから ("From Now On We'll Be Together"). I guess you could assume that being together is implied by the the たち, but since it's also a sentence fragment I would have gone with "From Now On, We'll..." or something like that. Since "we will" implies the same thing as たち. Maybe they'll start a farm together? Or maybe it's a mutual divorce. Also I think "The Sun Fallen to Earth" sounds cooler than "Fallen Sun on the Surface". "Surface" gets thrown around a lot in Japanese in ways that sometimes sound a bit silly in English. On the other hand I guess you might want to preserve the contrast between the Surface and the Underground, but given that the sun is "fallen" it's probably better to keep the contrast with the heavens.

PS: Of those three, I like Soul of Scarlet the best.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Mar 23, 2015

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The line is taken from the dialogue of chapter 55, where Rin promises Utsuho they'll be friends forever (or to be more exact, Rin says that and then Utsuho stutters out 私たちはこれから amidst a bunch of ellipses). So yeah.

Fallen Sun on the Surface is also because the final boss is an insane Utsuho. On the surface.

EDIT: I do agree the phrasing on From Now On could be better though.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Mar 23, 2015

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
Removed of context and playing a bit loose with the interpretation, "We're just getting started" could work for 私たちはこれから too imo

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

The line is taken from the dialogue of chapter 55, where Rin promises Utsuho they'll be friends forever. So yeah.

Fallen Sun on the Surface is also because the final boss is Utsuho. On the surface.

Just because you know the context doesn't mean you can throw in meaning pointlessly. It's a song title. You don't call it "Heart Fault Because Satori is Sad". The name speaks for itself.

Utsuho is also not a Fallen Sun by any reasonable definition.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Well there isn't an ellipse in there, so it's presumably a complete thought. It really could go either way though, so let's just agree to disagree. v:shobon:v

And what I was going for with Fallen wasn't just literally "it fell", but also the idea that something fell from grace. 墜ちた can mean something degenerated too, and since Utsuho has gone berserk when that plays...

But again, it's ultimately up to translator preference. I'm not gonna pretend my view is the only right one.

EDIT: If it helps, I actually spend a ton of time back when I originally translated From Now On wrestling if I should put the together part in there or not. I ultimately just flipped a coin. :v:

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Mar 23, 2015

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

Well there isn't an ellipse in there, so it's presumably a complete thought. It really could go either way though, so let's just agree to disagree. v:shobon:v

And what I was going for with Fallen wasn't just literally "it fell", but also the idea that something fell from grace. 墜ちた can mean something degenerated too, and since Utsuho has gone berserk when that plays...

But again, it's ultimately up to translator preference. I'm not gonna pretend my view is the only right one.

My logic is that they left it as a sentence fragment for a reason, and unless it's totally impossible to make that grammatical (ie: they're parts of the sentence that could never be next to each other) I'd want to keep it a sentence fragment. It's a song title so it's more poetry than a complete thought. You're right though that it's just a different approach to translation.

In the context of Touhou, and especially FMW3, the word "surface" is incredibly loaded with meaning, since it's meant as a contrast to both the Moon and the Underground. In that sense it basically means "Gensokyo" so I can totally understand why you'd want to keep it. But in this particular title, seen from a poetic perspective, we're talking about the sun (a sun?), fallen, on Earth. Everything's gone horribly wrong: something's not where it's supposed to be and everything's gonna die in a sea of flame. I think that imagery is sufficient to invoke what's going on with Utsuho in the story, especially since her name itself invokes Sky imagery (and her previous theme was called Skygazer).

In other words I think making it sound cooler is more important than keeping the literalism.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Mar 23, 2015

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Man, I wish you were around when I was originally translating this stuff. It's a lot more fun when I can argue with somebody about how the line should go.

The song name is 地上に墜ちた太陽. If it was just 地に, I'd agree with Earth, but it's specifically 地上に, with the accompanying connotation that it's something above. As this is the final boss of SA, where you spend most of the game underground, I really feel like Surface is more appropriate than just Earth. I also like how Sun and Surface are alliterative; if you look at a lot of my translations, you'll see that I actually changed a couple words every now and then to prioritize alliteration (Dancing Food in the Night Sky > Fluttering Food, The Ayakashi Bears Spring > Sheds Spring). I guess that's just how I roll!

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Well, as I was saying, 地上 is the same word the moon uses to talk about Earthlings. So it's also "below", in the sense that it's below the heavens, despite the kanji. This is still the combo game with IN after all. In terms of the entire game, 地上 simply refers to Gensokyo proper, as opposed to the Heaven and Hell it's sandwiched between. And since we're talking about the sun falling, and also about Utsuho whose character arc has been about "Skygazing" while weak before suddenly being given the power of the heavens, I see it as being about her ascending into her true place in the sky (metaphorically) before crashing down violently.

Mostly though I just think Surface sounds kinda stupid sometimes. They use it too much.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Mar 23, 2015

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

Hey, here's a question that's totally not just "which game's OST did you like more".

Soul of Scarlet
The Ayakashi Sheds Spring
Surpassing Eternity

Which song is the best?

Soul of Scarlet is the best, but I'd probably rather listen to The Ayakashi Sheds Spring because I prefer PCB's stage theme's, also it has the best name.

But about some of the other songs, is there any reason why Open Human Cage is the only of Mystia's song that doesn't reference food or cooking? Also, does 'That Voice Won't Reach' reference anything? Because it seems like an out of place name for a Reimu theme.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Open Human Cage is straight up one of Mystia's spellcards. And That Voice Won't Reach is for Fantasy Nature, which is what it is.

I think it's also a reference to the dialogue, but that's spoilers.

Also I am apparently the only person who likes IN's medley the best.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Pft, Smouldering Ash is the best and it don't need to be no medley.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Oh yeah, speaking of that one, going to be honest: I have no idea how I actually got Smouldering Ash out of it. I think Kanji Tomo might have hosed up and read the first kanji wrong? Whatever happened, when I did my second pass after I got the actual track listings, I found out the song name was 灰燼. Which is itself a word that means complete destruction. It can still mean ashes/embers though, and Smouldering Ash is a more vivid mental image so I decided to stick with it.

The real question is how the gently caress I got Night of the Bewitching Spirits out of Midnight Star Storm. Seriously, was I half asleep?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

The real question is how the gently caress I got Night of the Bewitching Spirits out of Midnight Star Storm. Seriously, was I half asleep?

I was wondering that, yes.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

This is how "Cherry Blossom of Sumizome"s happen, you careless fiend! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Also I prefer the translation of 'The Bird that Swallowed the Sun' for track 2-12.