Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I went to :siren: the most expensive university in spain :siren: and there were a ton of rich Chinese kids there (as well as a fuckload of rich Saudis but that's another post). At first I naively thought that tooling around in Western Europe would show them how their government was dumb and their policies were dumb but these kids were seriously resistant to anything that would suggest the party was doing anything wrong. My Taiwanese friend (mentioned earlier) spent a lot of time arguing with these kids but just ended up working himself up in a rage (and the easiest way to push his buttons was to suggest Taiwan should belong to China, which naturally always came up.) maybe it's my own arrogance as a westerner, but it makes me sad that someone can chill in Madrid and enjoy an uncensored Internet and an unpolluted metropolis and then go back to Beijing still thinking the party shits rainbows. Maybe their dad was Li Gang.

So yeah no surprise nobody but non Chinese will remember this movie in a year.

Edit: oh yeah and it might not be that spergy of my friend to prefer Formosa to Taiwan, as he's fluent in Portuguese and Gallego and goes to portugal or Galicia whenever he gets a puente (three day weekend). He is planning to get a tat that says "feito na formosa"

Also apparently his family has a history of disliking China and he dislikes using Chinese terms - he said at home his family speaks Japanese even though they're not Japanese ethnically. His dad was a pro-independence activist and when there were student protest in Taiwan, one of the pictures taken by the AP prominently featured his younger sister. He was really proud of that and was sending articles with it to everyone.

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Mar 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Xibanya posted:

I went to :siren: the most expensive university in spain :siren: and there were a ton of rich Chinese kids there (as well as a fuckload of rich Saudis but that's another post). At first I naively thought that tooling around in Western Europe would show them how their government was dumb and their policies were dumb but these kids were seriously resistant to anything that would suggest the party was doing anything wrong. My Taiwanese friend (mentioned earlier) spent a lot of time arguing with these kids but just ended up working himself up in a rage (and the easiest way to push his buttons was to suggest Taiwan should belong to China, which naturally always came up.) maybe it's my own arrogance as a westerner, but it makes me sad that someone can chill in Madrid and enjoy an uncensored Internet and an unpolluted metropolis and then go back to Beijing still thinking the party shits rainbows. Maybe their dad was Li Gang.

Edit: oh yeah and it might not be that spergy of my friend to prefer Formosa to Taiwan, as he's fluent in Portuguese and Gallego and goes to portugal or Galicia whenever he gets a puente (three day weekend). He is planning to get a tat that says "feito na formosa"

Also apparently his family has a history of disliking China and he dislikes using Chinese terms - he said at home his family speaks Japanese even though they're not Japanese ethnically. His dad was a pro-independence activist and when there were student protest in Taiwan, one of the pictures taken by the AP prominently featured his younger sister. He was really proud of that and was sending articles with it to everyone.

Her?
http://www.chinasmack.com/2014/videos/star-of-taiwans-sunflower-movement-exposed-as-prostitute.html

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Xibanya posted:

Also apparently his family has a history of disliking China and he dislikes using Chinese terms - he said at home his family speaks Japanese even though they're not Japanese ethnically.

Which is the Asian equivalent to a Congo man speaking Belgian.

Ok, to be fair it's closer to a Pinoy speaking English.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

computer parts posted:

Which is the Asian equivalent to a Congo man speaking Belgian.

Ok, to be fair it's closer to a Pinoy speaking English.

Ah yes, the illustrious Belgian language

Also wasn't Taiwan like a model colony during the Japan times, so lots of old people like them?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

icantfindaname posted:

Also wasn't Taiwan like a model colony during the Japan times, so lots of old people like them?

Yeah, Taiwan was treated well by Japan, followed by the PRC's bullshit with them so it's no big surprise.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Yeah, black africans speaking French? Patently ridiculous!

Pinoys, speaking English? UNFATHOMABLE!

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

icantfindaname posted:

Ah yes, the illustrious Belgian language

Emphasis on old though.

Although I know a guy who's native Taiwanese and is trying to get a thing in Japan because the alternative is being railroaded into medical school in Waco Texas.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

And young. My high schoolers in the mainland love Japan, I would guess Taiwan is similar. They hate Hong Kong the most and Korea (north and south) second.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Grand Fromage posted:

And young. My high schoolers in the mainland love Japan, I would guess Taiwan is similar. They hate Hong Kong the most and Korea (north and south) second.

Those high schoolers sound pretty smart.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

fart simpson posted:

I don't think this is actually true. I doubt most people in China had seen it yet and in a few months nobody will be talking about it anymore.

This post makes me so angry.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

fart simpson posted:

I don't think this is actually true. I doubt most people in China had seen it yet and in a few months nobody will be talking about it anymore.

Because they'll be dead?

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Xibanya posted:

You're seriously asking why the children of rich Chinese are wont to back a regime that's made their families rich?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Peven Stan posted:

You're seriously asking why the children of rich Chinese are wont to back a regime that's made their families rich?

I was going to be say something nicer but along the lines of this.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
It might sound dumb when put like that but it's one of those unquestioned assumptions. Like how it's so surprising (to various experts) that the only thing that Kim Jong-Un took from his education in Switzerland was a liking for fine cheese.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Hey the Chinese great firewall was built with the help of cisco. But jokes on them because the company is getting phased out!

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Arglebargle III posted:

This post makes me so angry.

Do you think it's incorrect?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

fart simpson posted:

Do you think it's incorrect?

Maybe I'm just more optimistic about China than you.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

fart simpson posted:

Hardly anyone will be talking about this video a year from now.

Maybe that's why they named it after a popular TV show. Easier to bury search results and harder to form associations in memory among people who only heard about it but didn't watch it.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
I've been paying a bit more attention to Chinese media lately with things like Chinasmack and holy balls I shouldn't have figured people were exaggerating when talking about the platitude-riddled language used in some of their articles. @_@

This one in particular frightens me a bit since I'm afraid someone working at Fox News will find it and come away inspired.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Xibanya posted:

Thanks to the goon who mentioned Essence of Decision! Just read a summary and the guy's theories are fascinating.

Confirming that Essence of Decision rules, it's a great prophylactic against 'they must want X because they Y-ed' type arguments. One of the few books I can confidently say changed how I look at the world.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I'm in awe.
http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheats/2015/03/11/china-orders-dalai-lama-must-reincarnate.html

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

It's awesome because this is one thing where all of China's money and soldiers and influence means nothing. If the Dalai Lama definitively says his lineage is over, then the issue will be settled in the minds of 90something percent of Tibetans, and whatever kid Beijing picks will be shunned and powerless, like their Panchen Lama has been up to now. Hence the increasingly pathetic whining from Zhu Weiqun and all of his puppets.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Looks like the feelings of the Chinese people may soon be hurt once again.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Mar 23, 2021

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Genocide sucks, yeah

kenner116
May 15, 2009
Don't worry. In the future, Chinese liberals will feel guilty about it and might even post those feelings on internet message boards.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
2132 World Series in Beijing between the Atlanta Braves and the Tianjin Lamas?

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

kenner116 posted:

Don't worry. In the future, Chinese liberals will feel guilty about it and might even post those feelings on internet message boards.

Yes but will drunk Chinese college students wear Tibetan head wear at parties?

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
“Decision-making power over the reincarnation of the Dalai Lama, and over the end or survival of this lineage, resides in the central government of China,” said Mr. Zhu, formerly a deputy head of the United Front Department of the Communist Party, which oversees dealings with religious and other nonparty groups.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Who knew the CCP had authority over reincarnation.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Truly the glorious Party is powerful beyond measure.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I wonder if the Party also reserves the right to determine the time and place of the second coming of Jesus?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Grand Fromage posted:

Who knew the CCP had authority over reincarnation.

If the Emperor once had the power, now it belongs to the Party. 5000 years of civilization.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

paragon1 posted:

I wonder if the Party also reserves the right to determine the time and place of the second coming of Jesus?

It's in the charter of the Chinese Patriotic Catholic Association, along with their right of bishop investiture (the reason they don't get along with the Vatican)

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

McDowell posted:

If the Emperor once had the power, now it belongs to the Party. 5000 years of civilization.

I hope Xi Jinping televises the next time he orders state seers to get some oracle bones popping in order to foretell whether the next harvest will be good or bad.

The Party justification for why they have power over Tibetan Buddhism in general, and the trulku system in particular, is such a ridiculous hodgepodge of horseshit.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

McDowell posted:

I remember somebody said Qing Dynasty changed the ruling branches of the Tibetan Buddhism from Yellow hat to Red hat (or something like that) a few times.

I have been trying to find an audiobook that cover this part of history but haven't been able to find it.

"sincx' posted:

Religion with Chinese characteristics.

drat you beat me to the joke.

enigma74
Aug 5, 2005
a lean lobster who probably doesn't even taste good.

Bloodnose posted:

It's in the charter of the Chinese Patriotic Catholic Association, along with their right of bishop investiture (the reason they don't get along with the Vatican)

Not worth it for the -30 opinion malus with the Pope, IIRC.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Under the Dome is back up on the Chinese internet:

http://video.caixin.com/2015/cjwmdc/

Let's all take another look at those tea leaves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sincx
Jul 13, 2012