Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

emeriin posted:

@Jack Generic events: Doug insulted her acting in his reviews, his fanboys harassed her with his ~gospel~, she got rightfully angry, a load of people then bombarded her with "it's just a character!" and she apologized. And then Doug put her in his "Simple Wish" review as schooling him at the end.

Or what testekill said.

Oh I remember this one. If I recall right, it was actually a little on Mara Wilson too for misunderstanding them by misreading it as "Doug's such a character :v:" instead of their actual explanation of "Doug's portraying a character".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Testekill posted:

The Critic made some jokes about hating Mara Wilson in some of his videos and his fans went overboard and made her life poo poo. His way of apologising is letting her get one up on him in one of his reviews but he never actually came out and said to his fans "holy poo poo guys, I have no problem with Mara Wilson as a person so could you leave her alone?"

That seems to be a common reoccurring situation, Doug doesn't call his fans out on their poo poo. Mara Wilson isn't even trying to be a youtube person, she works for Publicolor and is a writer on the side.

That is appalling. Mara Wilson hasn't even been in a movie since 1995. Why would these horrible loving nerds go harass a private citizen for being a bad kid actor? And she was great in that video with Lindsay Ellis' gang where they ate dunkaroos, by which I mean she was a normal person with funny things to say about Fruit by the Foot.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
For those interested, Mara Wilson wrote a really good article on Cracked about being a child actor.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Jack Gladney posted:

That is appalling. Mara Wilson hasn't even been in a movie since 1995. Why would these horrible loving nerds go harass a private citizen for being a bad kid actor? And she was great in that video with Lindsay Ellis' gang where they ate dunkaroos, by which I mean she was a normal person with funny things to say about Fruit by the Foot.

Her last movie was in 2000 in the Thomas the Tank Engine movie with Doug did review. He also talked about Matilda briefly in his video about "movies I hate that other people really like" where he hung poo poo on her so it was one of these two which caused it all.
But yeah she's seems like a really nice, well adjusted woman and I just felt so bad for her life being made hell thanks to a screechy nerd on the internet.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
It kind of ties back to Cheapskate's video about how die hard fans, back then and now, kind of forget to separate what's fake and real since they're listening/watching someone who appeals to them in terms of ideas/opinions. With the age of the internet, it's worse since people can find info really quickly on the person they want to bombard with bullshit just because their favorite internet person or whatever said something that spurs them into action.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

WickedHate posted:

Spoony never seemed like a truly bad guy to me, just someone who has a lot to deal with and doesn't always deal with it in the best ways.

I always kind got that Spoony wasn't much of a character since he never had a dedicated costume, odd as that sounds. I always figured that Doug was a lot like James Rolfe where it's literally all an act but with all that's come to light I'm not surprised he's genuinely basically a RL Daffy Duck.

Tracula fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Mar 8, 2015

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
The Attitude Era podcast is back with a review of Fully Loaded 2000, one of the best shows of the Attitude Era: https://soundcloud.com/the-attitude-era-podcast/fully-loaded-2000

Commissioner Foley is such a wonderful memory from my childhood, we're hitting peak wrestling memories from my childhood now. :allears: I had also completely forgotten that Benoit was pushed into the upper card so soon, hell I didn't realize he even had a match with Rock.

The continuing adventures of American Badass Undertaker as well. That gimmick has aged so loving badly. "LEMME TELL YA'LL BOUT THESE DOGS IN THIS HERE YARD. SEE I'M THE BIG DOG HERE AND THAT RING IS MY YARD AND" holy poo poo those promos were unbearable.

OldTennisCourt fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Mar 8, 2015

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Tracula posted:

I always kind got that Spoony wasn't much of a character since he never had a dedicated costume, odd as that sounds.

Oh, I didn't mean Spoony as a character(or lack thereof), I was talking about Noah himself, to be clear. I'm just used to calling him "Spoony". That makes sense, though, and I agree. Spoony also sounds more like a natural nickname. Doug was always more trying to make "The Nostalgia Critic" like, a brand.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Jack Gladney posted:

It's a well established fact that people on the internet are the worst. Digital pseudo anonymity makes people dicks and allows them to otherize those they are attacking to a degree that history's biggest psychopaths would find disturbing. Our monkey brains just haven't evolved fast enough to keep up with our technology.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Why is there a part of our monkey brains that condones this?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Gyges posted:

It's a well established fact that people on the internet are the worst. Digital pseudo anonymity makes people dicks and allows them to otherize those they are attacking to a degree that history's biggest psychopaths would find disturbing. Our monkey brains just haven't evolved fast enough to keep up with our technology.
No its really hipsters that are worse than nerds now let me tell you how mad I am that the director of Birdman said a mean thing about superhero movies.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Mraagvpeine posted:

That's just how monkey's are, man. Flinging their poop, fighting and loving. That's the monkey way.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Testekill posted:

Her last movie was in 2000 in the Thomas the Tank Engine movie with Doug did review.

Oh god the Thomas the Tank Engine review. Now the movie is poo poo do not get me wrong, it is just awful. But as is my right to be a massive sperg, could Doug have at least loving watched a couple episodes before going off on the show? Every single complaint he had amounted to "Its Thoooomaaaass the loving tank engine!" Every time.

Now admittedly i stopped watching Thomas after that movie came out, but the three first seasons hold a special place in my heart. I've got all of them with both the Ringo Starr and George Carlin narrations, and, as weird as it sounds, they are some of the best examples of world building I've seen in a children's television series. The treated the viewer with respect and didn't talk down to them because it was aimed at kids. It helps that they were based off of the original stories written by Awdry, but for five minute long vignettes, there was a ton of character development and plot progression. And for god's sake, they're trains that talk. Trains are awesome and miniature sets are awesome and Doug Walker knows gently caress all about half the poo poo he reviews.

This has been my detour into the spergy world of Thomas the Tank Engine, back to you, bob.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Mar 8, 2015

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Mraagvpeine posted:

Presumably, in a setting where there are a lot of threats to your (and your species's) continued existence, it's better for your survival if you go along with someone else in your group who says, "That duder over there is a threat. Let's go kill it/drive it off!" rather than going, "Well, hold on a minute, maybe they WON'T have us all as a snack. Let's wait a while and see."

When the situation is "what pop culture do I care about?" it's not exactly HELPFUL, but doesn't really pose a threat to the species, so it hasn't gotten selected out.

ETA:

Arcsquad12 posted:

Thomas the Tank Engine

While I am all for pointing out how full of poo poo NC is, this was very silly.

Puppy Time fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Mar 8, 2015

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!
Regarding the Mara Wilson thing, I believe Doug posted about one of her articles on FB and the fans attacked her from there. I don't think Doug did anything malicious, only his usual shtick in the reviews themselves. To be fair to him, fans tend to go overboard and attack real people if they see something a critic says in a review, which is why I've run into problems in the past. Even if you say not to attack anyone, it still happens. Just because you give a movie a negative review or even hate an actor in it doesn't mean you want people sending them e-mails telling them they suck.

As for the "it's all a character" bit, I feel dumb for having said that once. I can at least say it wasn't to cover for saying something offensive and back peddling, it was mostly because my acting tends to be exaggerated from my usual personality. But it's true, Brad is about the only one who is actually doing a character. Doug's "it's a character" defense is exactly that, to deflect negative reactions to dumb things. That being said, he can't act or write without it being derivative of something else.

Funny story actually. In that Shut Up and Talk I filmed in Chicago that will never be put online, Doug asked me where I got my "goofy voice" from in reviews. This was also a question he asked me before we even did the interview. He assumed I was imitating someone from South Park, a show I've seen maybe two episodes of. As I answered him before, I didn't "take" the voice from anything; I just naturally act "doofy." He asked me what the word "doofy" meant since he'd apparently never heard it before, and then proceeded to ask me again where I got the voice, but worded in a different way. He couldn't understand that I actually wasn't copying someone.

Also in that Demo Reel Transformers DVD Exclusive That Isn't DVD Exclusive Anymore, he totally just quoted Blazing Saddles verbatim.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Arcsquad12 posted:

Now admittedly i stopped watching Thomas after that movie came out, but the three first seasons hold a special place in my heart. I've got all of them with both the Ringo Starr and George Carlin narrations, and, as weird as it sounds, they are some of the best examples of world building I've seen in a children's television series.

It blew my goddamn mind years ago when I learned about this.

Edit: For all the poo poo I can say about Doug I really think his Shut up and Talk with Noah is important for everybody to watch since it does an amazing job of explaining how depression and the like goes for people.

Actual edit: And I know he's not associated with TGWTG but I think a lot of people get the whole "just a character" from James Rolfe where the AVGN is literally that. I've always heard James is a really timid and humble person IRL and nothing like what he puts on for his skits.

Tracula fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Mar 8, 2015

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Tracula posted:

Actual edit: And I know he's not associated with TGWTG but I think a lot of people get the whole "just a character" from James Rolfe where the AVGN is literally that. I've always heard James is a really timid and humble person IRL and nothing like what he puts on for his skits.

Yeah, you should watch his non-AVGN videos. It's like night and day.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

My experience as a watcher of Online Reviewer Shows is that you tend to have 3 styles: You have people giving videos more or less as themselves (Oancitizen, Nostalgia Chick), People who play themselves only a little more exaggerated (Spoony, Nostalgia Critic) and people who are very apparently playing a character (The Cinema Snob, Diamanda Hagan). Anyone who puts on skits necessarily has to glide a little into the "Exaggerated" territory purely for the purposes of comedy, but the people who remain in the exaggerated headspace are in a sort of fickle position. If you are consistently playing yourself only moreso then whatever dividing line you see between yourself and your character is much harder to spot from the outside because a bunch of random people wasting time on the internet don't know you well enough personally to say. Moreover if you're playing yourself only moreso you are still on a fairly major level playing yourself. By contrast It's easier to spot the real personality and opinions of a reviewer if they play it generally straight and slip into goofiness only for gags, or if they're perpetually an obvious character and occasionally shift into straight talk. It's not so easy to tell how much is real if you're always teetering in goofball territory.

At the end of the day I think Doug overestimates how well his audience can see the difference he sees between himself and the critic character, and moreover I think he overestimates how much difference there actually is between himself and his part.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Hbomberguy posted:

The episode-by-episode reviews don't really seem all that useful unless you want to know the entire plot of a show/episode before going into it, which might be your thing if you're more interested in stuff like animation, imagery, and other storytelling factors and want to get the plot out of the way so you can pay attention to everything else, but most people can process that stuff alongside the story. They occasionally really do offer some cool observations though so maybe worth your time? I dunno. Read them if you like them I guess, whatever.

Just wanna go back to this for a second there. Most series don't really deserve a full episode-by-episode analysis, true, but I do believe that some do. I'm going to use a series I love as an example: Eureka Seven. Now, it might not be the best series of all time or anything, but it is a surprisingly dense one. The director celarly was trying to say something with it, have a message. There's a ton of references to other media and cultures: buddhism, new age, surfers, rap, electronic music, etc. In fact, every episode is named after a song, something I've never really seen talked about. A good analysis could bring up the various songs and groups and religions and cultures referenced and compare them to the themes brought in the episode. If I wasn't so lazy I'd do it myself.

Anyway, my point was, there are some series that do deserve more in-depht analysis out there.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I want to see an in-depth thing on Ghost Hound. I'm not sure I can say that I really liked the show, but if you read academic works on Japanese New Religions it's kind of amazing. I don't know if the creators researched it, or the traits that define them are just ingrained in the Japanese cultural consciousness (or a bit of both), but the entire thing is absolutely fascinating from the perspective of how new religious movements are viewed in Japan, or at least viewed by the writers and watchers of weird slightly philosophical and pretentious anime. It even captures that sense of reflexive distrust people have of these movements after the terrorism by Aum. I can't say enough about how it's just a perfect distilled microcosm on every trait mentioned in every book and paper I read about shinshūkyō.

(Disclaimer: I'm biased to this idea because I wrote an essay on this once. I still think it really deserves far more attention and from someone with a broader academic background and reading on Japanese New Religious Movements than I have.)

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Miss Wallace posted:

Doug's "it's a character" defense is exactly that, to deflect negative reactions to dumb things.

The Mako bit with Doug was terrible as well. Did Doug literally not understand why people were offended by that joke in the TMNT review, because it seems that way.

Miss Wallace posted:

That being said, he can't act or write without it being derivative of something else.

Understatement of the year right there. Derivative is being kind, in to boldly flee and Suburban Knights, he outright steals.

Miss Wallace posted:

Funny story actually. In that Shut Up and Talk I filmed in Chicago that will never be put online, Doug asked me where I got my "goofy voice" from in reviews. This was also a question he asked me before we even did the interview. He assumed I was imitating someone from South Park, a show I've seen maybe two episodes of. As I answered him before, I didn't "take" the voice from anything; I just naturally act "doofy." He asked me what the word "doofy" meant since he'd apparently never heard it before, and then proceeded to ask me again where I got the voice, but worded in a different way. He couldn't understand that I actually wasn't copying someone.

This explains so much.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

PassTheRemote posted:

Did Doug literally not understand...

This is literally DougWalker.txt in every regard. He does not understand anything every other person does.

Somehow I was wandering my thoughts and I recall him not -getting- Last Action Hero. I can get not liking it but holy gently caress. It's so blatant in what it is. It's like if you don't understand a pig flying as :thejoke:

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
You ever see a small kid with a toy and they take it up to their mom and say, "Look, mommy! Look at the toy!" and then they just sit there waiting for their mom to confirm that it's OK for them to like that toy?

Sometimes I think TGWTG fans are like that. Just sitting there with their opinions, waiting for someone with a camera to be parental substitutes and tell them their opinions are OK. And occasionally trying to impress their video parents by doing things they think will impress them.

So harassment campaigns are just a hosed-up version of a toddler setting the house on fire while trying to make eggs for Mommy's birthday.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

echopapa posted:

You ever see a small kid with a toy and they take it up to their mom and say, "Look, mommy! Look at the toy!" and then they just sit there waiting for their mom to confirm that it's OK for them to like that toy?

Sometimes I think TGWTG fans are like that. Just sitting there with their opinions, waiting for someone with a camera to be parental substitutes and tell them their opinions are OK. And occasionally trying to impress their video parents by doing things they think will impress them.

So harassment campaigns are just a hosed-up version of a toddler setting the house on fire while trying to make eggs for Mommy's birthday.

Expand this to 100 lines and ten paragraphs and you can be the next Hbomberguy.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Somewhat of a confession, the NC and Nostalgia Chick crossover review of Ferngully made me convince myself that the movie was poo poo and I was such a child for ever watching it because these two people on the internet said so and validated my mild dislike of the film. Now, I still dislike it, but it isn't vitriolic. Tim Curry as the toxic smoke guy can do no wrong...

I would like to think that presently, I try to just to enjoy whatever I find entertaining while still being able to understand other viewpoints on said entertainment; both good and bad. Basically, I had to learn how to form my own opinions or at least seek out internet critics that taught me something new instead of validating my flawed ideas. :shobon:

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
You know, for an internet critic Doug sure doesn't internet very well. Maybe I'm being disingenuous, but considering his non-existent social media presence, and the absolute lack of fucks given re: managing his website and the community it attracts, this seems a fair assumption.

Edit: ^ Fern Gully deserves your vitriol. The racial politics of that movie are awful.

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Mar 8, 2015

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

High Warlord Zog posted:

You know, for an internet critic Doug sure doesn't internet very well. Maybe I'm being disingenuous, but considering his non-existent social media presence, and the absolute lack of fucks given re: managing his website and the community it attracts, this seems a fair assumption.
I remember in old episodes of Transmission Awesome, the reason it took so long to interview Doug is apparently he's really really bad with computers.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

High Warlord Zog posted:

Edit: ^ Fern Gully deserves your vitriol. The racial politics of that movie are awful.

Plus considering it's set in an actual location of cultural significance for Aboriginal Australians of the region, you'd think it'd be a bit less homogeneous. Like you could set it anyone and it wouldn't change anything.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

If it's any consolation, I enjoy your occasional posts, man.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

MonsieurChoc posted:

Just wanna go back to this for a second there. Most series don't really deserve a full episode-by-episode analysis, true, but I do believe that some do. I'm going to use a series I love as an example: Eureka Seven. Now, it might not be the best series of all time or anything, but it is a surprisingly dense one. The director clearly was trying to say something with it, have a message. There's a ton of references to other media and cultures: buddhism, new age, surfers, rap, electronic music, etc. In fact, every episode is named after a song, something I've never really seen talked about. A good analysis could bring up the various songs and groups and religions and cultures referenced and compare them to the themes brought in the episode. If I wasn't so lazy I'd do it myself.

Anyway, my point was, there are some series that do deserve more in-depht analysis out there.
I get the logic of what you're trying to say - you watched the show and had this 'feeling' that the creator really had something to say, and that elevates its quality for you. This is a common feeling in anime - people see all the crosses in Evangelion and think Art, when plenty of Gainax' other shows have similar themes and images and simply execute them in a less pretentious way. TTGL has more to say than Eva by a long shot, and KLK (Trigger but they are basically Gainax come on) more still.

What you're really saying is you saw something that 'felt deep', and that led you to feel it is. There are plenty of good shows that slip through the radar because they don't have the more easy signifiers of 'depth', like overt religious imagery or long stills on a character looking sad. I've ragged on this before but plenty of people seem to think Madoka was this amazing rumination on blah blah blah because has some arty shots and girls looking sad, when plenty of shows made for actual little girls have more to say on the same subjects, but simply say it in a more accessible, less deep-feeling, way.

The point of art, as best I can tell there is one, is to convey information. I mean to a certain extent you have to enjoy the show in order to continue watching it, but the act of Reading it is what makes it entertaining in the first place - you're sort of waiting for something to 'prove' to you it's worth enjoying on this level before you try. If you skip that step you'll have more fun!

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Testekill posted:

Peanut Butter Gamer did a video on bad licensed video games that was pretty enjoyable. He's pretty likable also and is generally chill. It also doesn't take the easy cop out by naming ET & Superman 64 as the worst licensed video games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-DgiD9ZWVw

Something I like about PBG is that when I hear streamers bemoan about his output "sounding fake", it comes from people that do the "Hah! This video producer, who had one of the largest viewerships on youtube, stop doing videos? I guess Wendy needs yet another burger flipper" spiel.

... As in, people who like to point at the likes of PDP and PBG, state "I'm not fake and shouty, unlike THEM." and produce turds of a different kind.

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it

Hbomberguy posted:

I get the logic of what you're trying to say - you watched the show and had this 'feeling' that the creator really had something to say, and that elevates its quality for you. This is a common feeling in anime - people see all the crosses in Evangelion and think Art, when plenty of Gainax' other shows have similar themes and images and simply execute them in a less pretentious way. TTGL has more to say than Eva by a long shot, and KLK (Trigger but they are basically Gainax come on) more still.

Woof. This is what I mean by the smelling of the farts thing. This is what you do. You take a normal common thing anyone can observe (art is made by creators, usually with the intent of communicating ideas and feelings,) and go "oh but you don't understand what you're really saying" to anyone who says the very simple honest thing they feel. You then rephrase said thing in a way that is meant to imply you've arrived at this revelatory SECRET meaning that no one else was expressing and it's just...baffling nonsense. And it's usually baffling nonsense with the pretense of enlightenment, revolving around "seeing the truth" of some really terrible thing like Cross Ange or Revenge of the Fallen. It's funny and all at first, but it's less funny when you talk down to people through it, which is all you've done with it in the past several pages.

I wasn't telling you that you shouldn't do it by the way. Express whatever opinions you want to express. You just gotta deal with me or others giving you poo poo for it when you start freewheeling them wackadoo ideas about social issues like "this horribly racist or misogynist pile o' narrative poo should be treated respectfully if you want to be a real critic." It's the constant patronization of other people's opinions that's so bizarre. I think you've talked down to three separate people inside of one thread page, and it's always like "why...?"

For instance!

quote:

What you're really saying is you saw something that 'felt deep', and that led you to feel it is. There are plenty of good shows that slip through the radar because they don't have the more easy signifiers of 'depth', like overt religious imagery or long stills on a character looking sad. I've ragged on this before but plenty of people seem to think Madoka was this amazing rumination on blah blah blah because has some arty shots and girls looking sad, when plenty of shows made for actual little girls have more to say on the same subjects, but simply say it in a more accessible, less deep-feeling, way.

Huh? The poster didn't even bring up this show. They were talking about Eureka Seven. But your response just goes straight into "Oh sure you FELT like that was deep, because so many peons feel like deep things are deep, but you know what's REALLY deep is shows for small children and--" just, nose straight into the bunghole, no provocation. How about just have your own opinion instead of talking about how wrong and pedestrian everyone else's opinions are all the time? Half of your rants revolve around not an opinion you hold, but how an opinion everyone else holds is wrong, and that's what I meant by your schtick getting tired and lame. Constantly telling everyone how wrong they are about how they look at art is incredibly lame, and I wouldn't really harp on it if you didn't extend your ~fabulous enlightenment~ to things like race and gender where it suddenly becomes not funny anymore because not only are you out of touch with reality, but the reality you do live in gets all creepy and insensitive.

So yeah, it's a freedom of speech = freedom of response thing. You say a looooootta painful poo poo. Sometimes it gets so stinky I just feel compelled to call you out on it, because surely you're better than that. For instance again!

quote:

The point of art, as best I can tell there is one, is to convey information. I mean to a certain extent you have to enjoy the show in order to continue watching it, but the act of Reading it is what makes it entertaining in the first place - you're sort of waiting for something to 'prove' to you it's worth enjoying on this level before you try. If you skip that step you'll have more fun!

Is this weird Hbomberguy speak for "just turn your brain off" or is this weird Hbomberguy speak for "only things the masses say aren't deep are truly worthy of analysis"? Either way, the post you're responding to doesn't merit either weird patronizing response. Read the room a little, dog.

I'm saying you're a weird rear end in a top hat most of the time, and maybe you could just be weird without the rear end in a top hat part if you tried.

Jay O fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Mar 8, 2015

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Since we're talking about anime reviews, I really like this dude's moe sucks blog. He doesn't have a constant update schedule but he makes some nice observations.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Jay O posted:

Is this weird Hbomberguy speak for "just turn your brain off" or is this weird Hbomberguy speak for "only things the masses say aren't deep are truly worthy of analysis"? Either way, the post you're responding to doesn't merit either weird patronizing response. Read the room a little, dog.

I'm saying you're a weird rear end in a top hat most of the time, and maybe you could just be weird without the rear end in a top hat part if you tried.

See, here's the problem. You apparently could not comprehend what I wrote. Let's look at what I wrote again:

quote:

Is this telling someone to turn their brain off? No - I am making almost the opposite point, that people shouldn't need shows to prove they have some reasonable level of 'depth' before they turn their brains on in the first place, and this means they miss out on material they might otherwise enjoy. I don't think Cross Ange is very good. I raise it as a good example of how, when approached with the wrong mindset, even the basic thematic concerns of a show get missed - imagine a review of the first ep of Cowboy Bebop where the reviewers never thought to mention the music and they thought it was just a bunch of white guys hunting a mexican drug-smuggling-foreigner stereotype.

Am I saying anything about 'the masses' opinions being wrong by default? No - although if I think this monolithic group is wrong, I will say it because I think they're wrong, not out of some weird dislike of mainstream opinions in general. A portion of my writing is spend trying to understand why people arrive at the opinions they do, but I don't do it to hurt anyone and you know this. I originally wrote a 'don't take this as an insult' disclaimer on the post you're quoting, but thought better of it because people aren't idiots and probably recognise I don't think they're bad people just because they have a different approach. Ths whole point of this thread is to discuss.

When I raised Evangelion instead of Eureka Seven, I was 'writing around the topic' to make a point. I'm not doing it to take out my secret anger at Eva fans or whatever - I am making an example using other shows as a touchstone. This is a very simple writing technique and you know this. The original poster only brought up Eureka Seven as an example themselves, to describe a larger concept. This is a basic form of communication, and again, you already know this. You are purposefully misconstruing my writing to make me out to be some sort of horrible monster. This is why I asked those questions before - I genuinely don't understand what place a lot of your criticism of me is coming from. You're essentially demonstrating that if you dumb down what I say to 'children's cartoons are secretly deep and the masses are all stupid and wrong and I am smart' then it would sound stupid. But that is patently not what I am writing, and you've never made an attempt to engage with any of my actual comments about a show at all. The closest you came was, a few months back, you said 'I know what I think already so we should agree to disagree'.

I think the most hurtful thing I said was when I dumbed-down my ideas about Spoony into a quip about Solondz, which I agree was pretty rude. So if anything the message here is I shouldn't dumb down my writing, but that you shouldn't dumb my writing down either. I mean you've taken the incredibly simple observation that there is a difference between a racist film and a film with racist characters, or one that appropriates racist imagery, and turned it into some sort of classist 'no it's secretly deep and made by genuises and I am enlightened' screed. If my comments are wrong, I'm not unreasonable, you could explain how easily and I would understand and change my mind. But instead you call me an rear end in a top hat and talk about about fart smelling. I don't understand why it's all about fart smelling. I thought I was talking about anime.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Hbomberguy posted:

See, here's the problem. You apparently could not comprehend what I wrote. Let's look at what I wrote again:

Is this telling someone to turn their brain off? No - I am making almost the opposite point, that people shouldn't need shows to prove they have some reasonable level of 'depth' before they turn their brains on in the first place, and this means they miss out on material they might otherwise enjoy. I don't think Cross Ange is very good. I raise it as a good example of how, when approached with the wrong mindset, even the basic thematic concerns of a show get missed - imagine a review of the first ep of Cowboy Bebop where the reviewers never thought to mention the music and they thought it was just a bunch of white guys hunting a mexican drug-smuggling-foreigner stereotype.

Am I saying anything about 'the masses' opinions being wrong by default? No - although if I think this monolithic group is wrong, I will say it because I think they're wrong, not out of some weird dislike of mainstream opinions in general. A portion of my writing is spend trying to understand why people arrive at the opinions they do, but I don't do it to hurt anyone and you know this. I originally wrote a 'don't take this as an insult' disclaimer on the post you're quoting, but thought better of it because people aren't idiots and probably recognise I don't think they're bad people just because they have a different approach. Ths whole point of this thread is to discuss.

When I raised Evangelion instead of Eureka Seven, I was 'writing around the topic' to make a point. I'm not doing it to take out my secret anger at Eva fans or whatever - I am making an example using other shows as a touchstone. This is a very simple writing technique and you know this. The original poster only brought up Eureka Seven as an example themselves, to describe a larger concept. This is a basic form of communication, and again, you already know this. You are purposefully misconstruing my writing to make me out to be some sort of horrible monster. This is why I asked those questions before - I genuinely don't understand what place a lot of your criticism of me is coming from. You're essentially demonstrating that if you dumb down what I say to 'children's cartoons are secretly deep and the masses are all stupid and wrong and I am smart' then it would sound stupid. But that is patently not what I am writing, and you've never made an attempt to engage with any of my actual comments about a show at all. The closest you came was, a few months back, you said 'I know what I think already so we should agree to disagree'.

I think the most hurtful thing I said was when I dumbed-down my ideas about Spoony into a quip about Solondz, which I agree was pretty rude. So if anything the message here is I shouldn't dumb down my writing, but that you shouldn't dumb my writing down either. I mean you've taken the incredibly simple observation that there is a difference between a racist film and a film with racist characters, or one that appropriates racist imagery, and turned it into some sort of classist 'no it's secretly deep and made by genuises and I am enlightened' screed. If my comments are wrong, I'm not unreasonable, you could explain how easily and I would understand and change my mind. But instead you call me an rear end in a top hat and talk about about fart smelling. I don't understand why it's all about fart smelling. I thought I was talking about anime.

stop it

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Stop what? Explain what I am doing wrong, with language.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
For an example of Hbomberguy's sterling abilities at analysis, he pointed out how i was biased towards Man of Steel because as an American I could not stand to see an American city getting destroyed.

I am not American.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

For an example of Hbomberguy's sterling abilities at analysis, he pointed out how i was biased towards Man of Steel because as an American I could not stand to see an American city getting destroyed.

I am not American.

Ah see, what you're really saying is that you don't live in America so it led you to feel that you're not an "American". Many people feel they aren't American because they lack easily identified signifiers such as overtly living within the continental United States. Perhaps by considering yourself "not American" you're actually the most American of all.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

OctoberCountry posted:

Ah see, what you're really saying is that you don't live in America so it led you to feel that you're not an "American". Many people feel they aren't American because they lack easily identified signifiers such as overtly living within the continental United States. Perhaps by considering yourself "not American" you're actually the most American of all.

I am, after a fashion, of all nations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Miss Wallace posted:

But it's true, Brad is about the only one who is actually doing a character.

Diamanda Hagan has become far more frightening. ;)

I enjoy her videos but I think she'd be even funnier if she dropped the whole "villain" schtick. Her commentary is great and can stand on its own. From her non-Hagan stuff I get the impression she's a pretty decent person too.

For what it's worth, I'm really enjoying Movie Nights and have to agree with the opinions posted here that it's definitely at its best when you have a guest. The format just works a lot better with you having someone to play off of.

• Locked thread