Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Its not mac and cheese cheese, but Kenjis vegan nacho cheese is loving dope as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Casu Marzu posted:

Its not mac and cheese cheese, but Kenjis vegan nacho cheese is loving dope as hell

This looks ridiculous, but I would for sure give it a try.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I made it for the last super bowl party and no one knew it wasnt cheese.

Edit: well, cheeze

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Yeah, to me nutritional yeast is more of the "gravy" flavor than "cheese". It made a pretty good vegetarian shepherd's pie for Thanksgiving.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
I love nootch in my pesto and in my hummus. It adds a richness that might otherwise have to come from cheese (for pesto) or more olive oil (for both) or more tahini (for hummus). In a similar vein and for similar reasons, I really like whipping white miso into my sun dried tomato cream cheese spread.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Nicol Bolas posted:

I love nootch in my pesto and in my hummus. It adds a richness that might otherwise have to come from cheese (for pesto) or more olive oil (for both) or more tahini (for hummus). In a similar vein and for similar reasons, I really like whipping white miso into my sun dried tomato cream cheese spread.

What the hell is nootch?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

therattle posted:

What the hell is nootch?

Nootch to the motherfucking bootch.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Word, Wiggles.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

therattle posted:

What the hell is nootch?

Nutritive yeast, the thing people were talking about? Dirty hippies and vegans sometimes call it nootch and it's satisfying to say and doesn't sound like the phrase "nutritive yeast" which is clearly a protein shake and / or a yeast infection treatment.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

Nicol Bolas posted:

yeast infection

That yeast is only nutritional if it's being eaten. It's only a treatment if you manage to get it all.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

contrapants posted:

That yeast is only nutritional if it's being eaten. It's only a treatment if you manage to get it all.

Oh, that's nasty.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you
I tried this chipotle mac & cheese recipe when I had to feed a vegan, and I still make it from time to time because it was so good. Doesn't really taste like cheese, but is perfectly creamy delicious comfort food.

More recently, I got a bag of sodium citrate and went to town with modernist mac & cheese. One of these days I'm going to try making my own melty gouda slices.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
What's the view on bamboo chopping boards? On the one hand, it's like wood. However, it seems harder. Bad for knives, or ok?

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
This has 0 technical knowledge behind it and I'm sure someone is going to :science: on me here, but I really like my bamboo board. It seems to dull my knives way slower than my plastic boards do, and it just has a more satisfying feel to it. I'm pretty sure I chop faster on it, too.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

therattle posted:

What's the view on bamboo chopping boards? On the one hand, it's like wood. However, it seems harder. Bad for knives, or ok?

They're not the best of woods but I use it. Die hard spergs hate it but I think it feels better to use than plastic and its renewable and cheap. and I dont have the funds for a big fuckoff boardsmith board yet so it works fine for me in the stage of life I'm in.

Definitely never teak though.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I was under the impression that wooden/bamboo cutting boards were WAY less sanitary than plastic.
Like on an order of magnitude.

That said, I'm not overly food safety conscious so I may not be the best to ask. I use plastic, myself and I love them. I actually prefer them to wood just based on feel.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Big Beef City posted:

I was under the impression that wooden/bamboo cutting boards were WAY less sanitary than plastic.
Like on an order of magnitude.

That said, I'm not overly food safety conscious so I may not be the best to ask. I use plastic, myself and I love them. I actually prefer them to wood just based on feel.

Plastic is super safe until they start getting grooved. Then they become breeding factories.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Bah. My plastic cutting boards are like sandpaper and they clean up just fine in the dishwasher.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Word on the street is that plastic is better if you dishwash otherwise grooves ain't groovy, but wood is naturally antibacterial. Don't know about bamboo but it is dishwasher-safe and we don't have meat or fish in the house.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I'm pretty sure whatever supposed antibacterial properties wood has isn't worth a squirt compared to just good old fashioned washing with soap.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.
i need some impressive vegetarian recipes for a date tuesday night, all my best show-off dishes have proteins. i do a solid risotto so i'll either do that or the fried polenta cakes w/tomato-wine sauce from ad hoc at home for one course, but i'm trying to think of a main

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

wheez the roux posted:

i need some impressive vegetarian recipes for a date tuesday night, all my best show-off dishes have proteins. i do a solid risotto so i'll either do that or the fried polenta cakes w/tomato-wine sauce from ad hoc at home for one course, but i'm trying to think of a main

Check out Ottolenghi. We cook vegetarian at home and often make a few smaller dishes, tapas style, like broad bean pea manchego dip, Harissa balsamic slow roasted tomatoes, and sautéed mushrooms, with bread, socca, etc. Vegetarian cooking lends itself less well to a main (I think) which often has an animal protein as it's centrepiece.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

i have the ottolenghi cookbook and tbh most of it just pisses me off because he manages to make things more complicated than loving thomas keller for dishes i've made just as well or far better with much simpler instructions and/or ingredients

i guess i could make the risotto the main with some nice garnishes and plating but then focus on a couple fancy hors d'oeuvres and a flashy dessert like bananas foster

my normal go-to date main is steak au poivre since it is the Ideologically Correct sexy night food because it involves mashing pepper, heavy cast iron, setting liquor on fire, and rare red meat

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

wheez the roux posted:

Wild mushroom ravioli in parmesan broth with oven dried tomatoes. Get on it.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

unfortunately my pasta machine is with my sister about 2k miles away. i mean yeah I guess i could roll it out but then she has my ravioli cutter and mold too. it's basically be mini dumplings...which isn't a horrible idea. with the pasta maker i could make it way cooler though and use the technique from modernist cuisine to create a ravioli dough with brown mushroom stripes. if you have a good recipe I could do without those tools though then link it and yeah that'd be great.

otherwise i might do something as simply as a fresh pesto linguini since making the pesto on the spot is kind of a cool process for someone who's never seen it. and it's loving delicious

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

wheez the roux posted:

i have the ottolenghi cookbook and tbh most of it just pisses me off because he manages to make things more complicated than loving thomas keller for dishes i've made just as well or far better with much simpler instructions and/or ingredients

i guess i could make the risotto the main with some nice garnishes and plating but then focus on a couple fancy hors d'oeuvres and a flashy dessert like bananas foster

my normal go-to date main is steak au poivre since it is the Ideologically Correct sexy night food because it involves mashing pepper, heavy cast iron, setting liquor on fire, and rare red meat

His first book is stupid like that, I agree, but Plenty and Jerusalem are much simpler.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

"naturally antibacterial" sets off like every single bullshit detector that I own.

Anyway I bought some expensive squid ink spaghetti because I want to see what squid ink tastes like. Any serving suggestions? Right now I'm leaning towards just salt + olive oil with ricotta on the side. I asked the italian guys in the italian stuff store, but they had no clue.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Mr. Wiggles posted:

So, I forgot a photo, but the shake n bake turned out really well. Soaked the chicken in buttermilk all day, and it didn't need an eggwash after that. Shook in a mixture of flour, panko, spices, and oil. Baked ta 400 for a while and it got all crispy and golden. Stayed very moist and nice. A fantastic supper with some cornbread, greens, and braised carrots.

Shake 'n bake Zeitgeist; this was just in the NY Times: http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1016067-easy-sheet-pan-chicken?em_pos=medium&emc=edit_ck_20150309&nl=cooking&nlid=70213249

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

CommonShore posted:

"naturally antibacterial" sets off like every single bullshit detector that I own.

Anyway I bought some expensive squid ink spaghetti because I want to see what squid ink tastes like. Any serving suggestions? Right now I'm leaning towards just salt + olive oil with ricotta on the side. I asked the italian guys in the italian stuff store, but they had no clue.

http://faculty.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/faculty/docliver/Research/cuttingboard.htm

http://www.fefpeb.org/wood-food/properties-of-wood/antibacterial-effect

quote:

Wood exhibited growth-inhibiting properties and cells were no longer metabolically active, concluding that the potential for cross contamination of foods stored directly in contact with previously contaminated poplar wood crates is low under experimental conditions.

http://www.wkpaletten.ch/v2_eng/pdf/holz_ein_bakterienkiller.pdf

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

brb calling up Saveur to inform them of my culinary genius.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

So my dad has roped me into cooking a 3 course dinner for 5 while I'm home on vacation. The theme is white wine. He's got a pretty impressive cellar, so I figure I'll start with the food and then find wines that work with it. I'm still in the brainstorming stage, but I'm pretty set on doing scallop mousseline as the first course.

What are your ideas for creative food and (white) wine pairings?

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Wroughtirony posted:

So my dad has roped me into cooking a 3 course dinner for 5 while I'm home on vacation. The theme is white wine. He's got a pretty impressive cellar, so I figure I'll start with the food and then find wines that work with it. I'm still in the brainstorming stage, but I'm pretty set on doing scallop mousseline as the first course.

You can't go wrong with a cheese course for dessert. A nice Semillon or German Riesling gets along with blues or really funky Epoisses-style stuff. Throw in some candied walnuts and maybe some membrillo and you've got a classy and quickly prepared dessert. Otherwise make a not-too-sweet bread pudding with bits of blue cheese in it; that can be served warm which contrasts nicely with chilled wines.

Seafoods paired specifically with wine make me think saffron, especially for mussels or in some kind of paella application. South African stuff tends to match well, or something Spanish for a regional pairing.

Roasted chicken with a grand cru Chablis is classic and great as well.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Wroughtirony posted:

Make bouillabaisse or a fisherman's stew!

Maybe some sort of ridiculous pork and thyme and apricot and pine nut roulade for the main?

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??

Wroughtirony posted:

Anything alsacian really.

ChouCroute, foie gras, washed cheeses etc

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Would you say this thread was ahead of the times? :rimshot:

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
Thirding alsacian. Fuckin yum.

franco
Jan 3, 2003

CommonShore posted:

Ooh I just cooked with cuttlefish ink spaghetti, which is almost the same thing - pimped it in the dinner thread. Recipe was from a youtube vid but I transcribed it. Here it is if that interests you (it's drat tasty). Shame on your guys for not knowing such a stone-cold Italian classic!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

franco posted:

Ooh I just cooked with cuttlefish ink spaghetti, which is almost the same thing - pimped it in the dinner thread. Recipe was from a youtube vid but I transcribed it. Here it is if that interests you (it's drat tasty). Shame on your guys for not knowing such a stone-cold Italian classic!

Rad. Thanks! I'll see if I can snag some clams.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
Squid ink pasta is OK, but what I really want is squid ink to actually cook seafood in -- possibly my favorite dish from my honeymoon. Anyone know of a source in NYC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Amazon?

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=squid+ink