Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caros
May 14, 2008

FrumpleOrz posted:

poo poo, are you sure? I could've sworn an option popped up and I chose something right before Chloe said "I KNEW IT." Was that not between telling her or not telling her?

Yeah it is absolutely a choice, though I suppose she might see through you if you chose not to say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spectracide
May 27, 2004
IT'S ARGH, BABY!

Nckdictator posted:

Any clues on what's making Kate so sad ? (Besides her general unpopularity)

I was thinking Nathan raped her like he attempted with Chloe.

Zerilan posted:

In the first scene, read the paper that gets thrown at her
Chloe said Nathan had a [video?] camera during the attempted rape so maybe he filmed Kate?

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Anyone wondering what the song from the launch trailer is, it's "Glass Walls" by Nik Ammar. Really liking the soundtrack for the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NK63zrCCORQ

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
I was watching some LPs and there are a ton of extra dialoges that are unlocked when you use the time reverse thing correctly, I should probably start a new game and check those out.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Kraps posted:

I was watching some LPs and there are a ton of extra dialoges that are unlocked when you use the time reverse thing correctly, I should probably start a new game and check those out.

What do you mean correctly? There weren't more than like a handful of cases where you actually got extra dialogue.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Hakkesshu posted:

What do you mean correctly? There weren't more than like a handful of cases where you actually got extra dialogue.

Maybe it's because I missed talking to some of the people but it seemed to me that you only got extra dialogue, like about Rachel, if you used time reverse, in order to make people open up to Max.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Kraps posted:

Maybe it's because I missed talking to some of the people but it seemed to me that you only got extra dialogue, like about Rachel, if you used time reverse, in order to make people open up to Max.
Yeah Justin the skater dude is one guy for certain who will only talk about her if you rewind after first talking to him and pretend you know skateboarding moves. The theory posted earlier about Rachel is making more and more sense, she seemed to have been everything to everyone. Only thing I can't figure out is why Victoria hates her so much, and seems to be the only person who does, I'm guessing that will be covered pretty soon though.

So hey the license plates in the parking lot all seem to be TV shows. I figured them all out except for one:
The X-Files Twin Peaks Twilight Zone

The Sopranos Six Feet Under Quantum Leap

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Breaking Bad

Somebody loves their HBO shows. I have no idea what the last one is though. Bird Churches?

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
Looks like it's Broadchurch.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Aha! They have some good taste.

I forgot the one I was most proud of figuring out

Carnivale

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

I doubt it was intentional, but I like how THXFLS could be seen as a double reference with X-Files and THX-1138. Because of course Warren's car would have layers of nerd meaning.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

PunkBoy posted:

I doubt it was intentional, but I like how THXFLS could be seen as a double reference with X-Files and THX-1138. Because of course Warren's car would have layers of nerd meaning.
I do love that the whitest person in a school full of really white people is named Warren G.

Two more I missed. OK now I'm done (until the next episode anyway, can't wait for more hot license plate action)

Parks and Rec

No clue on this one.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

RightClickSaveAs posted:

No clue on this one.

I think that's "True Detective."

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Oh nice, that makes sense. Yeah someone really likes their HBO shows.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
I beat the first episode yesterday, really liked it overall. I will say that I don't think they quite got the ratio of "That Guy/That Girl to Jocks" ratio quite right. Anecdotally I attended and now work at a private liberal arts institution, and the skew is way further in the direction of "That Guy/That Girl" than Jocks and the like.

Still, I realize that the makeup of the school was largely to give variety, and by and large it did that. Some interesting characters in there, I can't wait to see what happens next.

I always wanted to be an awkward weirdo with godlike powers, and this game certainly scratches that itch. :v:

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
I'm pining hard for the next chapter

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home

SpaceAceJase posted:

I'm pining hard for the next chapter

I was just thinking this yesterday. I'm not a bit fan of the episodic releases.

Hopkins FBI
Jan 4, 2015

MY SACRED POSTING VOW IS NOTHING, FOR WHILE I STAKED MY HONOR UPON MY COMMITMENT TO NEVER SUPPORT JOSEPH R. B. JUNIOR I HAVE SCANDALOUSLY ABANDONED MY PRINCIPLES
It leaked online not long after the first episode came out. Spoilers: the writing is still garbage. Hella.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Hopkins FBI posted:

It leaked online not long after the first episode came out. Spoilers: the writing is still garbage. Hella.

I asked a friend of mine in Seattle and apparently in the past couple years people in Oregon really have started saying "hella" a lot. Ironically or something. So that part is actually accurate.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Hopkins FBI posted:

The writing was fine you whiny grandpas

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Macaluso posted:

The writing was fine you whiny grandpas

Honestly the only problem with the writing is that it's very obvious that it wasn't proofread by a native American :911: well enough

Like you can totally tell it was written by French people who are fluent in English.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
'Hella' is like a major Northern California thing and I wouldn't be surprised if it wormed its way up to Oregon.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Dr. Killjoy posted:

'Hella' is like a major Northern California thing and I wouldn't be surprised if it wormed its way up to Oregon.

The writer is indeed from Northern California, so there you go.

Maleficent
May 26, 2014
hella is not even some obscure or outdated thing like how out of touch with whats happening around you do you need to be to not understand regional slang

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Maleficent posted:

hella is not even some obscure or outdated thing like how out of touch with whats happening around you do you need to be to not understand regional slang

Hella?

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

Maleficent posted:

Yeah I think a load of posters are a little miffed that their AARP cards haven't arrived in the mail yet. You should be more considerate of that.

Also some assholes from Gamespot got to try the latest episode before release I guess

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I'm still hip. I know what a wifi is and I kick started my heart pacer once.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Maleficent posted:

The thing is that even in times and places where "hella" is popular, it still sounds really dumb. :colbert:

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Next episode: one of the characters uses "throwing shade;" thread explodes in anger.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

precision posted:

The thing is that even in times and places where "hella" is popular, it still sounds really dumb. :colbert:

Yeah, but it's a cast of teenagers. Teenagers sound really dumb. Like, on the one hand, the characters sound like annoying dumbasses who are trying to sound cool. On the other hand, teenagers ARE annoying dumbasses who are trying to sound cool. I mean, you basically have two options. You either go Buffy, where everybody is a constantly witty pop culture fountain with impeccable hair, or you go the direction Life is Strange went, where teenagers are awkward human beings who don't know how to act like fully formed people yet. I can guarantee that none of the characters in this game are any more cringeworthy than I was, based on the memories of poo poo I did as a kid that make my grit my teeth when I'm trying to sleep.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Crappy Jack posted:

Yeah, but it's a cast of teenagers. Teenagers sound really dumb. Like, on the one hand, the characters sound like annoying dumbasses who are trying to sound cool. On the other hand, teenagers ARE annoying dumbasses who are trying to sound cool. I mean, you basically have two options. You either go Buffy, where everybody is a constantly witty pop culture fountain with impeccable hair, or you go the direction Life is Strange went, where teenagers are awkward human beings who don't know how to act like fully formed people yet. I can guarantee that none of the characters in this game are any more cringeworthy than I was, based on the memories of poo poo I did as a kid that make my grit my teeth when I'm trying to sleep.

Real life teenagers don't generally conform 100% to television stereotypes, so that excuse doesn't really make a lot of sense to me. I mean I guess they could, theoretically; the stereotypes aren't inaccurate in that sense. But do you really not see how this is a special case of 'realistic teenagers', when they seem to be lifted straight out of a Disney Channel teen sitcom?

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Mar 9, 2015

Blister
Sep 8, 2000

Hair Elf
You people are forgetting how influenced by pop culture and incredibly annoying you all were in high school.

edit: I've refreshed this page 4 times and each time icantfindaname has edited his reply in about 2 minutes, jesus calm down grandma

icantfindaname posted:

they seem to be lifted straight out of a Disney Channel teen sitcom?

Please stop watching the disney channel, you're an adult

Blister fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Mar 9, 2015

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Blister posted:

You people are forgetting how influenced by pop culture and incredibly annoying you all were in high school.

edit: I've refreshed this page 4 times and each time icantfindaname has edited his reply in about 2 minutes, jesus calm down grandma

:tipshat:

Blister posted:

Please stop watching the disney channel, you're an adult

So then I should not play this game either, since it's apparently written for 13 year olds?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

icantfindaname posted:

Real life teenagers don't generally conform 100% to television stereotypes, so that excuse doesn't really make a lot of sense to me. I mean I guess they could, theoretically; the stereotypes aren't inaccurate in that sense. But do you really not see how this is a special case of 'realistic teenagers', when they seem to be lifted straight out of a Disney Channel teen sitcom?

I'm really not even sure what you're trying to say here. Is the problem that they're not realistic? Too realistic? Too fake? Not fake enough? I mean, it's a video game. It's a work of fiction created by a person. That person made the artistic choice to have the teenaged characters in his game sound like dumb teenagers who are trying to figure out who they are.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Crappy Jack posted:

I'm really not even sure what you're trying to say here. Is the problem that they're not realistic? Too realistic? Too fake? Not fake enough? I mean, it's a video game. It's a work of fiction created by a person. That person made the artistic choice to have the teenaged characters in his game sound like dumb teenagers who are trying to figure out who they are.

The game feels like a tween sitcom. I don't care if that's realistic or not realistic, I don't like it

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

icantfindaname posted:

The game feels like a tween sitcom. I don't care if that's realistic or not realistic, I don't like it

Okay, that's cool. I've started plenty of movies and TV shows and books and put them down before I finished because they just didn't grab me. That's a thing that happens, yes.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
If teenagers are so insufferable, why make a game full of insufferable characters? Maybe because teenagers who will play this game don't know how insufferable they are. But that's just my theory.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

icantfindaname posted:

Then why have you posted in this thread more than almost everyone else? You don't like it? Great, we get that and we've heard the reasons you don't like it. Continuing to post at this point is just hella unnecessary.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Where the hell were you all when someone had a different opinion on any other game's writing.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Paladinus posted:

If teenagers are so insufferable, why make a game full of insufferable characters? Maybe because teenagers who will play this game don't know how insufferable they are. But that's just my theory.

Because growing from insufferable and unsure awkward teen into mature adult is a very common and relateable character arc, and we've only seen part 1 of 5, where characters and their flaws and conflicts are introduced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

I think the dialogue works within the world, it's at least pretty consistent. It's broad strokes characterization in a lot of ways (again, why would they have full out dudebro football jocks in a small, exclusive art school?) but I know that's more for the purpose of establishing this stereotypical high school hierarchy and it doesn't bother me too much. It does have a little bit of a Veronica Mars thing where some of the high schoolers seem way smarter and adult than others, yet still act and talk like high schoolers most of the time, but it's not nearly as bad as in most TV shows and movies where they have 20+ year olds playing the parts.

And apropos of nothing really, I was replaying the first episode and rewound so hard I apparently froze time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DpNzlG3ZXo

• Locked thread