Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Mid_Ben posted:

I bought my first synth, it's a minibrute.

What do I do now?

Buy your second and third, lust after 4-9, and never accomplish anything musically because you're so consumed by GAS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Mid_Ben posted:

I bought my first synth, it's a minibrute.

What do I do now?

Play with it relentlessly for a few weeks. If you find yourself getting bored or frustrated, smoke some weed beforehand. Do some recordings of it, put them together to make a song. Then buy another synth.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Transistor Rhythm posted:

I'm interested. Why on earth are you selling it?

I don't use it enough and feel too stupid to really make use of its routing / limitations.

I have more fun loving around with SAMPLR on my iPad just because it isn't the same God drat interface all over again and again?

Having my iPad for the last year certainly hasn't made me produce any more music than before but it has certainly made me give a whole lot less of a poo poo about analog vs digital. The grossest thing is realizing that I would probably be happier overall with a workhorse workstation synth over a specialized one. I originally thought I would branch out and use all these different pieces of gear but seriously I just want a 4-5 multi timbre keyboard with a sequencer and poo poo built in cause I'm old or something.

Which means I'll prob end up with a virus one day. Lol.

It's a great synth though. I'd probably keep it if I didn't owe money on it. Not that I owe a lot or have interest built up or anything...

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Play the minibrute and go "oh my god this is awesome" then think "but I wish it had a sequencer or patch bay. Also polyphony!" sell for a Roland Gaia and ensoniq esq1. Be really put off by the gaias plastic front panel and lack of value notification when switching between the three internal synths. Be amazed by the crude and evil power lurking inside the ensoniq, especially with its multi part keyboard.

Never quite wrap your head around the ensoniqs envelopes since they're 8-fold instead of 4-fold and the fact the patches don't update until you strike a new key just keeps you that much further from godliness. Keep it anyway because it's loving art.

Sell Gaia and get blofeld. Surely this will be the one. It has graphical waveforms and who cares if it's OS is notoriously buggy and unable to sync to external midi to save its life. Despite having a better understanding of synthesis, the FM rabbit hole has sucked you dry. Sell blofeld for your true love: a microbrute

It's a minibrute with a 5th octave sub, sequencer, and mini patch bay. Get ensoniq dp4 effect unit and be amazed at what some crappy delay can do to any synth. Idc if it's a crutch.

Finally give in after ignoring your synths forever and buy a mini moog sub 37. GAS cured. It isn't the gear, it's me. Definitely.
Maybe.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Littlebits synth continues to satiate my desire for modular. There's something very refreshing about just sitting down with some synth legos and making a patch over, like, the course of half an hour without needing to open up a patch editor. It is, unfortunately, also hitting that modular nerve in that I constantly need to buy more, being a rack unit guy I never before realized how frustrating it can be to need a wire and not have one or that, like, if you want another oscillator all you need to do is go buy one.

I also wanted to get away from ambient droney noise for a while but between this and soundscraper and the vc3 app on the ipad, that isn't looking real likely.

stillvisions posted:

Yeah, I've been meaning to break out the Arduino kit I picked up a while ago and see what I can do to make something useful for the eurorack. The coding part shouldn't be bad; I code C for a living so any sort of CV input/output shouldn't be too evil, it's more the fun of working up the the desire to code in my spare time when I already barely have the free time to commit to music. Sorta why the MIDI to CV kit I have is still in the box - every time I think about breaking it open I'd rather be playing with the modular.

How's your hardware skills? I'm getting a burning desire to get some digital potentiometers and try and rig up a complex envelope generator. That seems simple enough that I should be able to handle it while also being something that would be genuinely useful.

Sizone fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Mar 8, 2015

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Anyone fuckiong around with the Teenage Engineering Pocket Operators?
https://www.teenageengineering.com/products/po

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

I don't use it enough and feel too stupid to really make use of its routing / limitations.

I have more fun loving around with SAMPLR on my iPad just because it isn't the same God drat interface all over again and again?

Having my iPad for the last year certainly hasn't made me produce any more music than before but it has certainly made me give a whole lot less of a poo poo about analog vs digital. The grossest thing is realizing that I would probably be happier overall with a workhorse workstation synth over a specialized one. I originally thought I would branch out and use all these different pieces of gear but seriously I just want a 4-5 multi timbre keyboard with a sequencer and poo poo built in cause I'm old or something.

Which means I'll prob end up with a virus one day. Lol.

It's a great synth though. I'd probably keep it if I didn't owe money on it. Not that I owe a lot or have interest built up or anything...

We're basically at the same place when it comes to GAS, only I'm planning on only keeping the MS-20, Sample, Mangler, and getting an analogue workhorse as my main synth since I really haven't touched my K2000 to program after I've really started to understand Reaktor, Bazille, and Alchemy (RIP) which are way more fun and faster to program with a mouse than menu diving. After I get the workhorse I'll maybe get small module stuff like the Erebus... or getting a U6 modular going :retrogames: if I end up with the Pro2, but I'm now at a place where I know what I want to make musically and know exactly what I need to make it. 2 years and only 3 synths I needed to sell to get there isn't bad.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

WRT teenage eng pocket operators: Mine are in the post still, hope they arrive soon. I'm looking forward to mashing those little buttons!

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Got a USAMO on the way. Will post vids hopefully showing my MD actually syncing with Live as soon as I get it.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Oldstench posted:

Anyone fuckiong around with the Teenage Engineering Pocket Operators?
https://www.teenageengineering.com/products/po

Yeah I've had all three for a week or so now and love them. They seemed just kind of like a fun gimmick at first but once you start building your own patterns they are surprisingly full featured and the two parameter lock knobs per are great.

My work has been out of control busy so I haven't been able to dive into them as much as I've wanted to but I can't wait to start creating terrible songs with them.

edit: I will say the one complaint I have is that because they are so small, a lot of the features are operated via a combination of buttons. So to punch in live sounds while playing you have to make sure write + play are selected at the same time, or to select sounds you need to make sure certain things are pressed and so on and so forth. It's not a deal breaker certainly, but it definitely takes a bit of time to learn them to be able to do stuff on the fly and consistently.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Mar 8, 2015

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.
Gaz Williams at Sonic State posted a bunch of Pocket Operator videos last week.

Here's the final one that shows how he got them all to work together:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0g3xQw5ZJjc

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
Just bought a Korg EX-800 which will be my first Korg and first new synth in a while. I know the 800s aren't considered too great but I liked the tablesynth top small form. I went to a shop last weekend and they had a Poly-800 and I played around with it - it was fun and I hope to coerce some good sounds out of it (crappy speaker setup there so I couldn't tell very clearly). The editing will be kind of tedious, but I figure I will mostly use it for pads which will leave the 3P to do what I usually do with it. I've actually always liked the look of it (makes it look more professional than the Poly model, for one) so that helped my justification of buying it. I don't have space for much else, and a rack mount didn't seem to appealing having to kneel down with my other units. I HATE menu diving on the TX81Z because you only see the parameter you are editing and very easily get lost. This is a good in between with having most information laid out with corresponding numbers right on the front, similar to the JX-3P but not nearly as intuitive, I don't think.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008

Fors Yard posted:

Just bought a Korg EX-800

I love my Poly 800. It's like a magic box of Detroit techno goodness :swoon:

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I picked up a DSI Mopho on the weekend and began comparing the sound to the KingKorg. Right off the bat, the raw oscillators put the KK to shame. The sawtooth is brighter and the sound of detuning is completely different when the phases align and pass.

I compared the filter to the KK P5 filter, and found that the biggest difference was at 0-10% resonance, where the Mopho had a creamy smoothness that the KK just could not match. That, feedback, and audio rate filter modulation are completely out of reach for the KK.

The only complaint I have with the Mopho is that filter keyboard tracking does not affect sequenced notes... it only affects input from a keyboard. So if you're sequencing you need to dedicate one of the tracks to the filter cutoff and tweak each note.

That, and there are bugs with menu navigation when there are rests in the sequence. At first I thought it was a bad rotary encoder, but then I discovered that that all 4 encoders would not navigate to sequencer position 8 if position 7 was a rest. I haven't fully fleshed out all the places where the bug occurs, but it's annoying.

I think the Mopho has confirmed what I feared to be true: there IS a quality to analog synths (at least the Mopho) that VA (at least the KK) just can't emulate.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
I'd stick the Sledge (to a lesser extent Blofeld, its outs are much lighter) against pretty much any analog poly and be happy. The new 2.0 production models finally ship with the sample memory enabled too. If you're looking for a knobby VA for polyphony...

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

sliderule posted:

gearslutz.txt

I actually agree with somewhat when it comes to monosynths, but once you're past like 4 voices I really can't tell the difference between even a good VST and a hardware analogue polysynth.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Don't get me wrong, it took me quite a while to find the difference. I admit it's not Analog vs. VA, it's Mopho vs KingKorg. Maybe my post should be more in the vein of "KingKorg isn't a perfect emulation", but until I have the opportunity to test more of them side-by-side, I really can't say.

Also, I should note that the Mopho's sound palette is VERY limited, and I appreciate the KK for all of the hoops it can jump through.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

sliderule posted:

Don't get me wrong, it took me quite a while to find the difference. I admit it's not Analog vs. VA, it's Mopho vs KingKorg. Maybe my post should be more in the vein of "KingKorg isn't a perfect emulation", but until I have the opportunity to test more of them side-by-side, I really can't say.

Also, I should note that the Mopho's sound palette is VERY limited, and I appreciate the KK for all of the hoops it can jump through.

It's ironic, too, because the Mopho is one of the most sterile "VA-sounding" synths on the market that really stretches the definition of "analog" about as far as it can be stretched. (I owned and played one for years)

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

It's ironic, too, because the Mopho is one of the most sterile "VA-sounding" synths on the market that really stretches the definition of "analog" about as far as it can be stretched. (I owned and played one for years)

And the Pro 2, for having DCO's, is probably the most analogue sounding of any synth with DCO's ever.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

It's ironic, too, because the Mopho ... really stretches the definition of "analog" about as far as it can be stretched.

Care to explain? Is it the LFO/EGs? Because I can't imagine any reason to use analog circuits for those. Are there interstitial ADC/DAC stages that are not listed on the signal path diagram?

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

A Winner is Jew posted:

And the Pro 2, for having DCO's, is probably the most analogue sounding of any synth with DCO's ever.

the pro 2 has digital oscs, thats where all the fancy waves come from. the mopho has dco's (& saying a dco synth is analog was stretching the definition 10 years ago. time changes, and times change)
and a vco poly sounds different than a dco poly, usually by way of being almost out of tune.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

saying a dco synth is analog was stretching the definition 10 years ago.

Yeah man, all those Polysixs and Juno 106s are totally not analog unless you stretch the definition.

So, uh... what exactly is the percentage of tuning drift over time/temperature that an oscillator needs to have to be considered analog?

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Oh, I didn't know the Mopho used DCOs.

themoreyouknow.gif

e: It does explain how easy it is to get the two oscillators to phase align, though! Which is awesome, as the KK won't do that despite being completely digital.

Tan Dumplord fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Mar 11, 2015

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Sizone posted:

Yeah man, all those Polysixs and Juno 106s are totally not analog unless you stretch the definition.

So, uh... what exactly is the percentage of tuning drift over time/temperature that an oscillator needs to have to be considered analog?
a synth needs to have continuously variable pitch to be analog, thats what the word technically means. that folks got in the habit of calling dco synths analogs is just a little wrong and just a little silly. its not the same as calling an esq1 analog just cuz its got analog filters, but its in that general direction.
btw the polysix has vcos, though theyre pretty stable. the difference between vcos and dcos doesnt make one better, just different. it isnt a huge deal but there are audible differences. go ahead and enjoy your phase lock, why do you think junos are so punchy?

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

a synth needs to have continuously variable pitch to be analog, thats what the word technically means. that folks got in the habit of calling dco synths analogs is just a little wrong and just a little silly. its not the same as calling an esq1 analog just cuz its got analog filters, but its in that general direction.
btw the polysix has vcos, though theyre pretty stable. the difference between vcos and dcos doesnt make one better, just different. it isnt a huge deal but there are audible differences. go ahead and enjoy your phase lock, why do you think junos are so punchy?

Point conceded. But it will break the hear of my jx-8p when I have to tell it it's not analog. Would you say that there's a point in bit depth where the difference isn't appreciable, or would you contend that as long as there's any discreteness in steps that analog is a misnomer?

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Just like anything else in the world, there is not "continuously variable" anything. At some level, it's stepped. Otherwise, the universe literally doesn't work.

So, yes, analog purists are saying some large number of steps is not analog but some larger number is. They probably would never agree on where that threshold is.

Two philosophical paradoxes in one. Just make tunes.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Aww yiss time for sixty posts of analog vs digital bitching :getin:

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

First, this has always been a stupid debate and always will be. Second, there are a lot of misconceptions about early DCOs vs current DSP oscillators. A DCO (like, from the '80's) are ramp-core analog oscillators, they just use a microprocessor to control the waveform reset which was handled by a comparator circuit in a "pure" analog VCO. In a VCO, the sawtooth wave was compared to a reference voltage. Once the sawtooth exceeded the ref voltage, the comparator triggered the reset. A VCO poly has the (to some) pleasant drift simply because sometimes the comparator or the reference voltage source drifts. Now your waveforms don't reset at the same time and you have "fat". The part of the circuit in the DCO that creates the waveform is still analog, the circuit that waveshapes the ramp-out to create a square, triangle, and sine out are still analog.

Some VCOs sound thin and lovely, some DCOs sound thin and lovely, some DSP oscillators sound huge and amazing. Judge an oscillator on its own merits not architecture.

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

...and then there's the timbrewolf :getin:

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Scatterfold posted:

No lie I will pay 200 American dollars for this out of tune monstrosity.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Scatterfold posted:

Its reference voltage is derived from the sample of a wolf howling at the moon.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Sizone posted:

Point conceded. But it will break the hear of my jx-8p when I have to tell it it's not analog. Would you say that there's a point in bit depth where the difference isn't appreciable, or would you contend that as long as there's any discreteness in steps that analog is a misnomer?
i wasnt even saying its a misnomer, just that the definitions stretching over time, like how bbd delays are called analog despite being discrete in time. certainly modern cpus can clock a cap fast enough to give even better control of pitch. personally i find it depends on the music. real live vcos make drone so much more exciting, just as correct intonation makes hooks hooky.
analog synths being generally considered those with simple multivibrator waveforms, analog filters, amps, and circuits to push into warm overdrive, i certainly see nothing wrong with someone else calling dco synths analog. personally, having grown up listening to too much la monte young, i reserve the term for things which will go out of tune when you look at them wrong. my use of the term may be a little more accurate in an electronic sense, but i think for musical usage analog certainly covers both.
even vcos can have jumpy tuning if their pots are scratchy enough, right?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

i wasnt even saying its a misnomer, just that the definitions stretching over time, like how bbd delays are called analog despite being discrete in time. certainly modern cpus can clock a cap fast enough to give even better control of pitch. personally i find it depends on the music. real live vcos make drone so much more exciting, just as correct intonation makes hooks hooky.
analog synths being generally considered those with simple multivibrator waveforms, analog filters, amps, and circuits to push into warm overdrive, i certainly see nothing wrong with someone else calling dco synths analog. personally, having grown up listening to too much la monte young, i reserve the term for things which will go out of tune when you look at them wrong. my use of the term may be a little more accurate in an electronic sense, but i think for musical usage analog certainly covers both.
even vcos can have jumpy tuning if their pots are scratchy enough, right?

It really looks like you're hung up on discrete-time vs continuous-time re: a very pedantic interpretation of analog vs digital.

Also, my Piston Honda would like to have a word with whatever 100% analog VCO you want to throw against it in a drone-off.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

They're all poo poo.

Elements' Easter egg mode is a dual 2-op FM voice. Full case and an empty wallet, sitting this one out but god drat.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Sizone posted:

How's your hardware skills? I'm getting a burning desire to get some digital potentiometers and try and rig up a complex envelope generator. That seems simple enough that I should be able to handle it while also being something that would be genuinely useful.

Unfortunately kinda lousy. Hopefully the included book and examples will give me enough info to safely do "read voltage here, write voltage here" stuff. I had plan for a voltage quantizer until I realized I'd just remade the intellijel uScale, so back to the drawing board.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Oldstench posted:

It really looks like you're hung up on discrete-time vs continuous-time re: a very pedantic interpretation of analog vs digital.

Also, my Piston Honda would like to have a word with whatever 100% analog VCO you want to throw against it in a drone-off.

The Yamaha CS-80/GX-1 would accept your challenge.

Analog: Nothing $70-80,000 can't accomplish!

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Startyde posted:

They're all poo poo.

Elements' Easter egg mode is a dual 2-op FM voice. Full case and an empty wallet, sitting this one out but god drat.

That's cool. I don't have the room though...

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

toadee posted:

The Yamaha CS-80/GX-1 would accept your challenge.

Analog: Nothing $70-80,000 can't accomplish!

I don't have 16 Piston Hondas to make this a fair fight.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Oldstench posted:

I don't have 16 Piston Hondas to make this a fair fight.

Good thing, that's Old Testament, real wrath of god type stuff.

"Gungnir" now I just have to win the lottery.

Startyde fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Mar 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

I imagine using those two joysticks would end up sounding a bit like flying the Millenium Falcon.