Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Sarchasm posted:

That said, Mario vs Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong '94 are both excellent games if you haven't played them.

It's extremely hosed up that the minis games are considered part of the same series as those games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Regy Rusty posted:

It's extremely hosed up that the minis games are considered part of the same series as those games.

Yes, it is, and I think it's also one of the reasons why the Minis games aren't as well regarded. As their own spinoff separate from the Mario vs Donkey Kong branding I think the Minis games might make for an okay diversion, but as a followup to MvDK and DK94 they fall way short of the mark.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The Minis games are pretty decent little puzzle games but everytime they get brought up everyone just talks about how much better the originals were, even though they might as well be a completely different series. Yeah the originals were way better than the lemmings style games but the series dropped the puzzle platformer thing like 10 years ago at this point, cmon

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Hey now I think the minis are bad purely on their own merits.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Regy Rusty posted:

Hey now I think the minis are bad purely on their own merits.

The games feel like a mildly interesting internet browser game or something.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Personally what I'm enjoying from Tipping Stars isn't the game itself but the user created levels. There are some very clever ones that are waaay better than what is provided by Nintendo. That said I never played the original Mario vs. Donkey Kong or DK '94 so I can't compare it on those merits.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I didn't mind what I played of the last Minis game for 3DS (the one that's more like Pipe Mania) but all those games are so uninspired and ugly that I can't get excited about them.

Whatever, gently caress Minis: 3D Outrun interview #2!

http://blogs.sega.com/2015/03/06/sega-3d-classics-3d-out-run-part-2/

This one covers the extra content - what the tune-ups do, why they did/didn't add particular features, etc.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Mar 7, 2015

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Hoo-hoo! Just what I needed!

All the added GBA sound effects in SNES ports are pretty annoying, but not gamebreaking all things considered.

The actual worst part of GBA Yoshi's Island is the crappier Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy graphics.

planetarial
Oct 19, 2012

JustJeff88 posted:

I am with you, mate. I am some coins short of my goal with no cost-efficient way to get more in the time left. I am at Platinum, though, so I am kind of hoping that they allow as a Gold or Platinum reward just more coins, a few hundred at least. I don't think that they have ever done that before and I don't expect that they will do it now, but that would probably be my preferred option if I could have any reward (within reason) for Platinum status.

Try these

Pokemon Bank (3DS) - Free - 15 coins
Wii Fit (Wii) - $.99*** - 100 coins
Sky Peace (3DS) - $.99 - 15 coins
Mighty Switch Force (3DS) - $1.50* - 15 coins
Mighty Switch Force 2 (3DS/WiiU) - $1.50* - 15 coins
Gunman Clive 1 (3DS) - $1.99 - 15 coins
Mighty Switch Force! Hyper Drive Edition (WiiU) - $2.50* - 30 coins
Tappingo (3DS) - $2.99 - 15 coins
Tappingo 2 (3DS) - $2.99 - 15 coins
Nano Assault (3DS) - ~$5.00** - 30 coins
Spirit Camera (3DS) - $5.00** - 50 coins
Steel Diver (3DS) - ~$5.00** - 50 coins****

*Sale Price, not regular price, sale starts next week.
** Physical new copies
*** Physical new copies only at Gamestop
**** Not the FTP version, that stopped giving out coins I think?

I'm counting both the coins you get from registering and the post plays.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

MassRafTer posted:

The actual worst part of GBA Yoshi's Island is the crappier Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy graphics.

Worse music, worse visuals, worse voice clips, it's a bad port of a great game.

Honest talk here, why is Yoshi's Island so hard to get right? They did it right the first time, but so far none of the sequels have managed to make that magic happen twice.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Just remake that one but fix all of those things.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

planetarial posted:

Try these

Pokemon Bank (3DS) - Free - 15 coins
Wii Fit (Wii) - $.99*** - 100 coins
Sky Peace (3DS) - $.99 - 15 coins
Mighty Switch Force (3DS) - $1.50* - 15 coins
Mighty Switch Force 2 (3DS/WiiU) - $1.50* - 15 coins
Gunman Clive 1 (3DS) - $1.99 - 15 coins
Mighty Switch Force! Hyper Drive Edition (WiiU) - $2.50* - 30 coins
Tappingo (3DS) - $2.99 - 15 coins
Tappingo 2 (3DS) - $2.99 - 15 coins
Nano Assault (3DS) - ~$5.00** - 30 coins
Spirit Camera (3DS) - $5.00** - 50 coins
Steel Diver (3DS) - ~$5.00** - 50 coins****

*Sale Price, not regular price, sale starts next week.
** Physical new copies
*** Physical new copies only at Gamestop
**** Not the FTP version, that stopped giving out coins I think?

I'm counting both the coins you get from registering and the post plays.
CRUSH3D/CRUSHED is also very cheap at Gamestop, used or new, and like Steel Diver it gives 40+10 coins and is actually a good game for the price it's at.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Also if you are short on coins be absolutely sure to go through your Wii and Wii U collections to be sure you haven't missed a game. I have 59 physical games combined and it turned out I had missed four (all early Wii games). Yes it's a bit of a bitch but that netted me 110 coins.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Sarchasm posted:

That said, Mario vs Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong '94 are both excellent games if you haven't played them.

Donkey Kong 94 is loving amazing, especially for a game boy game.

The Lobster posted:

Also if you are short on coins be absolutely sure to go through your Wii and Wii U collections to be sure you haven't missed a game. I have 59 physical games combined and it turned out I had missed four (all early Wii games). Yes it's a bit of a bitch but that netted me 110 coins.

All the Wii games I tried to register gave me "registration window expired" messages. :(

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Honest talk here, why is Yoshi's Island so hard to get right? They did it right the first time, but so far none of the sequels have managed to make that magic happen twice.

Everything past Yoshi's Story has been outsourced to a bad developer, pretty much. Also, at some point the producer decided that the Yoshi audience should skew younger, so that's affected the nature of the level design.

Yarn Yoshi looks a lot better than the last however many Yoshi games but they stopped talking about that game after E3. I suspect they're retooling it in reaction to the tepid reception of the 3DS game.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Yarn Yoshi looks a lot better than the last however many Yoshi games but they stopped talking about that game after E3. I suspect they're retooling it in reaction to the tepid reception of the 3DS game.

Yoshi's Woolly World is the sequel to the dullest Nintendo game of the last decade (Kirby's Epic Yawn), so that surely isn't going to reinvigorate the Yoshi brand either.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

less laughter posted:

Yoshi's Woolly World is the sequel to the dullest Nintendo game of the last decade (Kirby's Epic Yawn), so that surely isn't going to reinvigorate the Yoshi brand either.

Who knows, it actually looks like Yoshi's Island and loving Artoon's not at the helm for once.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

less laughter posted:

It's not a sequel to anything, it just uses a similar art style to Kirby's Epic Yarn

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

It's not a sequel to anything, it just uses a similar art style to Kirby's Epic Yarn

It's made by the same team and has virtually the same gameplay with Yoshi elements replacing the Kirby ones. It's a sequel.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I haven't played Epic Yarn but the gameplay of Wooly World looks exactly like a Yoshi's Island game

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

less laughter posted:

It's made by the same team and has virtually the same gameplay with Yoshi elements replacing the Kirby ones. It's a sequel.

Part of the same series, sure...but not a direct sequel.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Yeah that's what I meant, maybe something like spritual sequel or successor is a better word.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

less laughter posted:

You're dumb, Kirby's Epic Yarn is a beautiful game and the best platformer for when you want to chill rather than rage out at hard videogames.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
I never said it wasn't beautiful, the graphics and music are gorgeous. It's just the game itself that is terrible.

Woolly World looks stunning as well (I'm probably still gonna buy it for that reason alone) and it would be nice if the gameplay measures up this time around, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

less laughter posted:

It's just the game itself that is terrible.
Epic Yarn was a great platformer with fantastic controls and fun mechanics.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
I disagree on all of those counts. It was slow, clunky and excruciatingly boring.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
gently caress, all this Chrono Trigger music added to Theatrhythm but no Zeal music???

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Lurdiak posted:

All the Wii games I tried to register gave me "registration window expired" messages. :(

I'm sorry that happened to you. :( I guess I got lucky.

Btw count me in as loving Kirby's Epic Yarn. It's relaxing and beautiful. I can't wait for Yoshi's Wooly World even though I don't really like the mechanics of Yoshi games.

Arctic Cress
Oct 23, 2010

Minrad posted:

gently caress, all this Chrono Trigger music added to Theatrhythm but no Zeal music???

Corridors of Time was found in the DLC files, so it should be coming within a few weeks.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Minrad posted:

Welp, time to spend some money. They added more I guess?

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
I won't be happy until I can buy the full cast of Chrono Trigger characters.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

less laughter posted:

No it isn't. It takes about 20 seconds of looking at the level design and controls for Woolly World to see that it's trying very specifically to be a Yoshi's Island game, flutter jump and all. Epic Yarn made absolutely no attempt to have any Kirby elements whatsoever beyond a few enemies and the final world.

Besides that, Good Feel also made Wario Land: Shake It, which was a perfectly fine game with plenty of challenge that no one seems to remember was made by Good Feel because they're too busy getting upset about a Kirby game that was too easy.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
An easy Kirby game!?!?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Isn't Epic Yarn essentially a "beta" of Wholly World? Like, the development of Epic Yarn came from the idea and Wholly Word is the idea with more thought put into it?

Also, I wouldn't call ti a sequel or spiritual successor at all.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
I just watched the Woolly World E3 2014 trailer again and it still strikes me as simply being Epic Yarn 2: Yoshi's Island edition.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
You're wrong and that's okay.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
You are a pretty terrible poster. First a post filled with nonsense and non sequiturs ("it's not a sequel or a successor but it's the same game but more fleshed out hurr durr") and then "no ur wrong" like we're in Kindergarten.

Anyway, believe what you want to believe, it doesn't really matter anyway since it's just a dumb semantics discussion and says nothing about the quality of the final game. For that I'll just wait until it comes out and read some the reviews; if it leans mostly towards the EY side I'll probably pass, if the YI elements are enough to overcome the basic EY pedigree of slow, clunky and largely uninteresting gameplay I'll probably pick it up. The graphics are really impressive either way.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Why are you so upset that you're wrong? It's okay to be wrong on the internet.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

I don't even understand how someone can call Epic Yarn "clunky". It was an insanely smooth game that controlled perfectly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
You'd be surprised then how difficult it is to 100% the game and get all the medals because goddamn I have tried and it is so hard to keep from falling in a pit and losing all those beads in some levels. :negative: