Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Tim Burns Effect posted:

It looks like the PC version is in that ad too, is it not also included?

you could get it online probably

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
waiting for people to solve the DLC puzzle so I can celebrate how awesome next week's DLC is

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Speaking of DLC, you know what we really need? A Hail The Sun pack. They're one of the few bonus song artists who actually have actual albums for sale, and all their stuff is really good and i want to play more of it.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

toymach1ne posted:

waiting for people to solve the DLC puzzle so I can celebrate how awesome next week's DLC is

You already know what it is?

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011

OhDearGodNo posted:

You already know what it is?

Yup, I'm looking forward to the reaction

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

What's the puzzle?

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
This one? http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1022015-Dan-s-clue-for-3-10-DLC?s=d8cc31938bfb94c6f5ca425e78dac166

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

11 letters, I'm not raising an eyebrow for anything less than Zeppelin or Faith No More

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That thread seems to think it is Jeff Buckley. I don't even know who that is, sorry :shrug: .

uncle spero
Nov 18, 2011

Bobby couldn't make it...
'till he went fun-truckin'!

Tunga posted:

That thread seems to think it is Jeff Buckley. I don't even know who that is, sorry :shrug: .

He made one album and died. It's a very good album but I can't see wanting to play it on guitar. The whole thing is very sleepy.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
The forum thinks it's Jeff Buckley right now.

Edit: Beaten.

Oh well, that's DLC that can wait for later.

NuclearWinterUK
Jan 13, 2007

Yes, I am very well
I'd love some Jeff Buckley, but I can't see Ubisoft picking him for DLC.

Though I thought the same about Roy Buchanan too.

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
hope you don't mind me linking my article here

http://www.theriffrepeater.com/hallelujah-jeff-buckleys-music-arrives-on-rocksmith-2014/

Jeff Buckley on Rocksmith 2014 next week

NuclearWinterUK
Jan 13, 2007

Yes, I am very well

toymach1ne posted:

hope you don't mind me linking my article here

http://www.theriffrepeater.com/hallelujah-jeff-buckleys-music-arrives-on-rocksmith-2014/

Jeff Buckley on Rocksmith 2014 next week

Nice! Day one buy for me.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
I don't mind Jeff Buckley and I am pretty drat happy to see something more interesting than the generic garbage we have gotten recently.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

unlawfulsoup posted:

I don't mind Jeff Buckley and I am pretty drat happy to see something more interesting than the generic garbage we have gotten recently.

Yeah, this. I probably won't buy any but it's a step in the right direction.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

So which ones are in open G?

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011

OhDearGodNo posted:

So which ones are in open G?

songs aren't confirmed yet but be prepared to Open G most likely

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
Jeff Buckley Song Pack – $7.99

“Grace” – Drop D – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
“Hallelujah” – Capo Required – Lead ; E Standard – Rhythm/Bass
“Last Goodbye” – Open G – Lead/Rhythm; Drop D – Bass

NuclearWinterUK
Jan 13, 2007

Yes, I am very well

toymach1ne posted:

Jeff Buckley Song Pack – $7.99

“Grace” – Drop D – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
“Hallelujah” – Capo Required – Lead ; E Standard – Rhythm/Bass
“Last Goodbye” – Open G – Lead/Rhythm; Drop D – Bass

No "Lover, You Should've Come Over" :(

Too bad it's only a three pack, still happy to get some Jeff Buckley though.

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005
The GF is finally getting in to the game after seeing me play it for so long and noticing it's helping me suck less. (I'm pretty awful though)

She tried the game for the first time the other day and murdered her fingers. She literally had slight numbness in them for a few days! Since she's a huge Soundgarden and Foo Fighters fan, she kinda hyperfocused and played for a good hour or so. I'm going to assume that maybe she played too long with hands that have never held a guitar before? I hope that the longer she plays, she doesn't get that much pain in her hand! She's clearly liking the game since she's giving it another go while I'm at work today. I just want to jam out with her (she likes lead, I like rhythm), so I hope she doesn't get discouraged from the pain.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
I couldn't feel my fingertips on my left hand for about the first week. It eventually sorted out and I'm fine now.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Dolemite posted:

The GF is finally getting in to the game after seeing me play it for so long and noticing it's helping me suck less. (I'm pretty awful though)

She tried the game for the first time the other day and murdered her fingers. She literally had slight numbness in them for a few days! Since she's a huge Soundgarden and Foo Fighters fan, she kinda hyperfocused and played for a good hour or so. I'm going to assume that maybe she played too long with hands that have never held a guitar before? I hope that the longer she plays, she doesn't get that much pain in her hand! She's clearly liking the game since she's giving it another go while I'm at work today. I just want to jam out with her (she likes lead, I like rhythm), so I hope she doesn't get discouraged from the pain.

She's probably not holding the guitar properly and/or is pressing way too hard.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Dolemite posted:

Make sure she's not pressing too hard, you really don't have to press too hard unless your action is messed up.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I was thinking about picking this up for the PC, but I have a few questions...

Does buying the Steam version make it easier/harder to do customs? Are there any other reasons (aside from having to buy the cable, of course) to prefer the Steam or retail version?

The OP says don't use a guitar with a tremolo bar, but does it just mean a double-locking one? My old Mexican Strat has your standard whammy bar attachment point, but I've never noticed any tuning problems, even with one attached.

I've been playing guitar off and on (somewhat poorly) for about 15 years. I've never had a lesson; I'm completely self-taught and probably full of terrible habits. Has anyone used Rocksmith from a similar background (ie. not being brand new to guitar but not already having good technique)?

Oh, and I assume it can't handle more than one player at a time? My wife kind of wants to learn bass, but she's brand new. I don't mind buying her a separate copy if she thinks she'd enjoy it, but it would be cool to play together.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Dolemite posted:

She tried the game for the first time the other day and murdered her fingers. She literally had slight numbness in them for a few days!

Everyone gets pain in their fingers the first couple of times until you develop a callous. Numbness in your fingers though, that does not sound right at all.

WhiteHowler posted:

Does buying the Steam version make it easier/harder to do customs? Are there any other reasons (aside from having to buy the cable, of course) to prefer the Steam or retail version?

The OP says don't use a guitar with a tremolo bar, but does it just mean a double-locking one? My old Mexican Strat has your standard whammy bar attachment point, but I've never noticed any tuning problems, even with one attached.

I've been playing guitar off and on (somewhat poorly) for about 15 years. I've never had a lesson; I'm completely self-taught and probably full of terrible habits. Has anyone used Rocksmith from a similar background (ie. not being brand new to guitar but not already having good technique)?

Oh, and I assume it can't handle more than one player at a time? My wife kind of wants to learn bass, but she's brand new. I don't mind buying her a separate copy if she thinks she'd enjoy it, but it would be cool to play together.

Customs are very easy on the PC/Mac steam versions.

The game works fine with a guitar with tremolo bar, it will just be kind of annoying if you want to switch tunings (which I find annoying even on hardtails). I have played for many hours on a MiM Strat in the past with no real problems. If floating bridges bother you, it can be pretty easily blocked off. There are youtube videos on how to do it.

The game is excellent for practice and has some decent videos and exercises. That said, it is not really a replacement for lessons and it will not really go that far to correct your bad technique. Rocksmith is more of a REALLY cool practice tool than a teacher. Something like Justin guitars will do better to help fill in the gaps.

unlawfulsoup fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Mar 10, 2015

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Any normal guitar will work, so don't worry about that stuff. I have a similar background to yours and it's definitely made me better. The game does support multiple profiles, so you can each track your own progress on the same game.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

WhiteHowler posted:

The game is Steamworks so buying the retail version literally just gives you a Steam key.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Pablo Gigante posted:

The game is Steamworks so buying the retail version literally just gives you a Steam key.
Ah, cool. Right now it's much cheaper on Amazon and comes with the cable, so I'll just go that route. Thanks!

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat
I had the same numb fingers thing for a week as well. I think it's just a callus forming on the tip of the fingers and sensitivity loss.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

unlawfulsoup posted:

The game works fine with a guitar with tremolo bar, it will just be kind of annoying if you want to switch tunings (which I find annoying even on hardtails).

There's a reason I have separate guitars that I keep in Eb and drop-D. And it's because switching tunings is a royal pain in the rear end.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Numbness can just be calluses forming, tingling is when you need to immediately stop because something is being done wrong.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

WhiteHowler posted:

I have a floating bridge on the guitar I use for really low tunings and haven't noticed problems, but you might if you switch tunings on that guitar, I don't know for sure. I started playing RS 2014 after "playing" for around 6 years, it fixed some of the habits I had picked up and Justin Guitar fixed the others. It can handle two players at a time, but you'll need a second cable too.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Schpyder posted:

There's a reason I have separate guitars that I keep in Eb and drop-D. And it's because switching tunings is a royal pain in the rear end.

I have a Digitech drop. It's fantastic because my guitar is always in E or at the most drop d (not counting stupid G Tuning it the a443 songs)

But I love Djent, as well as groups like Chevelle and Breaking Benjamin.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

OhDearGodNo posted:

I have a Digitech drop. It's fantastic because my guitar is always in E or at the most drop d (not counting stupid G Tuning it the a443 songs)

But I love Djent, as well as groups like Chevelle and Breaking Benjamin.

I really should get myself one of those, as it stands at the moment I've constantly got one guitar tuned for the C# to Drop A range (Behemoth, Septicflesh, My Dying Bride, Machine Head, Crowbar, At The Gates, Carcass, Nile, etc) and one I keep for the E/D range for everything from Maiden, Priest, Pantera and Death to stuff like Carl Orff's O Fortuna

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Dolemite posted:

Is she playing your guitars at the moment? Something else to consider is if you string yours with heavier gauge strings you may want to put extra lights on one for her to play. ExLights are a fair spot easier on your fingertips until said calluses form. When I started getting my girlfriend to play she was using her acoustic that had giant goatfucker heavy strings with screwy action that made my already callused hands hurt like hell after a few songs. I got her an Ibanez Gio electric with extra light strings and she hasn't had a problem since.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

DeathSandwich posted:

Is she playing your guitars at the moment? Something else to consider is if you string yours with heavier gauge strings you may want to put extra lights on one for her to play. ExLights are a fair spot easier on your fingertips until said calluses form. When I started getting my girlfriend to play she was using her acoustic that had giant goatfucker heavy strings with screwy action that made my already callused hands hurt like hell after a few songs. I got her an Ibanez Gio electric with extra light strings and she hasn't had a problem since.

Another good thing about using Xtra lights for someone new is it will help force them not to press to hard. Since they are so light if they squeeze too hard they go out of tune much easier.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

DeathSandwich posted:

Speaking of strings, does a specific gauge/material work best for Rocksmith?

I have some old stainless steel .009's on my Strat that I'm sure need to be replaced. They're easy to play, but I get a ton of fret buzzing.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

WhiteHowler posted:

I have some old stainless steel .009's on my Strat that I'm sure need to be replaced. They're easy to play, but I get a ton of fret buzzing.

You should check your action then, this is more likely to do with your action than your strings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

WhiteHowler posted:

Gauge makes no difference from what I have seen. Buzzing is probably action and/or frets that need to be leveled.