Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2043938702/cockatiel-fun-helmet-accessory?ref=hero_thanks

Yep, I'm the only backer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amaya
Aug 5, 2006

Paws up!

So I traded my buddy an avatar for a plushie. I told him to make me a bird expecting a little derp birb blob and instead I got this:

!!!!

SO EXCITED! :3:

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Amaya posted:

So I traded my buddy an avatar for a plushie. I told him to make me a bird expecting a little derp birb blob and instead I got this:

!!!!

Oh my. Who can I contact for one of those D:

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Now We Are Six Two

aerialsilks
Nov 28, 2013

please stop telling me about how you "humanely euthanized" your hamster by drowning it in its ball

Pile of Kittens posted:

It's supposed to be sharp. Feature, not bug.

I mean to the point of being slightly overgrown, but maybe I just too used to his baby-size beak. He also used to chew toys more a year ago than he does now. He does like digging the pointy pointy tip into your knucklebones, though, and I worry about future overgrowth since he doesn't really chew on firm things/wood.

Also, I found this: http://www.instructables.com/id/Parrot-Chop/?ALLSTEPS

I was wondering how people felt about this chop mix(or, alternatively, what your own mixes/favorite recipes are). How necessary are things like quinoa/chia/flax/etc or are they just yummy extras? I'm wondering if a frozen-thawed chop mix might be better received by the BCC since he's used to those freeze-dried fruit/veg mixes and seems to get a little wigged out by fresh veg.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

SaNChEzZ posted:

Oh my. Who can I contact for one of those D:

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Oh great, so you are making an adorable, soft bird-army to infiltrate our houses and eventually take over the world with your fellow birbs?

What's next, I'm going to find happy conures all over my sylvari?

Oh I wish.

I don't have plat, how do I get a quote for an adorable soft birb?

vvv Sweet, thanks!

Chaosfeather fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Mar 5, 2015

Amaya
Aug 5, 2006

Paws up!

I'm glad you guys like it! He said he might make more and put them on his etsy, if he does I'll make sure to link it here for you :3:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Chaosfeather posted:

What's next, I'm going to find happy conures all over my sylvari?

I would get rid of my Stalwart shoulders in a flash for a perching birb shoulder item.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I would get rid of my Stalwart shoulders in a flash for a perching birb shoulder item.

I'm already ready to throw my wallet at Arenanet for gems to buy that parrot mail carrier.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

only if it screams loudly at random intervals

i have seen a small child cry because of how loud cockatoos are

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Amaya posted:

!!!!

That is amazing! Add me to the list of potential buyers!

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax

aerialsilks posted:

Also, I found this: http://www.instructables.com/id/Parrot-Chop/?ALLSTEPS

I was wondering how people felt about this chop mix(or, alternatively, what your own mixes/favorite recipes are). How necessary are things like quinoa/chia/flax/etc or are they just yummy extras? I'm wondering if a frozen-thawed chop mix might be better received by the BCC since he's used to those freeze-dried fruit/veg mixes and seems to get a little wigged out by fresh veg.

I made a variation of this for my birds and they certainly seem to appreciate the beans, rice, rolled oats and lentils, but I'm not sure the chia seeds did anything for them.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
I will pay all of the monies if a jensay-colored one can be made, and I will pay extra if it can be completed before mid-April.

All. The. Monies.

(It's adorable and amazing, pass along my compliments)

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Have I reached peak bird crazy?

My wife and I put an offer on an apartment that allows cats but no other pets, and we have a subject that they go to the strata and get an exception for our birb.

If they can't get the exception we will pass on the property.

Can't live without our idiot feathered poop machine.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Nah, that's just being a good prospective tenant. I've never had an issue with a place that allowed cats. They're less destructive than cats, generally, especially anything less crazy than a cockatoo.

little_firebird
Sep 1, 2008

Why don't you
just eat your
belly button and die?!
So, bird nerds, I've been following this thread for a while and, after much consideration, have decided to pursue getting myself a feathered friend.

But I haven't seen much mention of doves or the like (which I can sort of understand, what with derpatiels and GCCs and all :3: ), but that's actually what I'm leaning towards. There's a semi-local rescue (about a 1.5 hour drive from where I am) that has ring-neck doves up for adoption and everything I've read implies they're actually pretty easy to keep.

That being said, the lowest recommended cage size I've seen for ring-neck doves is 18" x 18" with varying heights and a 1/2" bar spacing (this is actually what the bird rescue worker I spoke with recommended as well). I understand that the larger the cage, the happier the bird will be, but as I'll only have the one bird to start, is a larger cage (past maybe 24" x whatever") really necessary?

aerialsilks
Nov 28, 2013

please stop telling me about how you "humanely euthanized" your hamster by drowning it in its ball

little_firebird posted:

So, bird nerds, I've been following this thread for a while and, after much consideration, have decided to pursue getting myself a feathered friend.

But I haven't seen much mention of doves or the like (which I can sort of understand, what with derpatiels and GCCs and all :3: ), but that's actually what I'm leaning towards. There's a semi-local rescue (about a 1.5 hour drive from where I am) that has ring-neck doves up for adoption and everything I've read implies they're actually pretty easy to keep.

That being said, the lowest recommended cage size I've seen for ring-neck doves is 18" x 18" with varying heights and a 1/2" bar spacing (this is actually what the bird rescue worker I spoke with recommended as well). I understand that the larger the cage, the happier the bird will be, but as I'll only have the one bird to start, is a larger cage (past maybe 24" x whatever") really necessary?

18x18 is actually really small, especially for a large-bodied bird like a dove. I'd go with at least a 24x24 and be done with it. Bigger is always better.

On that note, though, I've handled some tame Imperial Fruit Doves before(which are massive) and they were really cool. Not really the most personable i-need-to-be-all-up-in-your-poo poo-always animals like parrots, but they were very obviously interested in people(and your food) and super soft to the touch.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Pile of Kittens posted:

Nah, that's just being a good prospective tenant. I've never had an issue with a place that allowed cats. They're less destructive than cats, generally, especially anything less crazy than a cockatoo.

This is to buy though, not rent.

Grraarrgghh
Feb 12, 2012

"Bernard, float over here so I can punch you."

aerialsilks posted:

i-need-to-be-all-up-in-your-poo poo-always animals like parrots

:vince:

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.
Had a dream a few nights ago where I was visiting someone with two new conures and the vibe, I recall, was that the birds were too skittish for strangers. One was a wary floordog and the other promptly climbed up to my face and started preening me and begging for scritches.

Never experienced anything close IRL, so I know I must be reading to much PI right before bed. I woke up feeling all :3:.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Awww :3: A lot of my birbdreams involve me adopting more than one additional bird and then panicking since they are all so, so very needy...

Boodge Bum
Apr 22, 2005

Deoderant plus ruptured bumgrapes does not equal freshness. Just burning agony.
One time I dreamt that Chuffy grew to the size of a beachball, so I took him on holiday to Tokyo.

little_firebird
Sep 1, 2008

Why don't you
just eat your
belly button and die?!

aerialsilks posted:

18x18 is actually really small, especially for a large-bodied bird like a dove. I'd go with at least a 24x24 and be done with it. Bigger is always better.

On that note, though, I've handled some tame Imperial Fruit Doves before(which are massive) and they were really cool. Not really the most personable i-need-to-be-all-up-in-your-poo poo-always animals like parrots, but they were very obviously interested in people(and your food) and super soft to the touch.

This is the one cage that keeps popping up when I look around: http://amzn.to/1NuI49B . 20.5" width still seems a bit too small to me, but it's definitely bigger in all other aspects. Would this work for a ring-neck?

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Fuji's helping Hara learn how to step up. In turn, Hara is teaching Fuji how to throw his food even farther out of the cage. Birbs.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Inko has been looking different to me for a while now and couldn't work out why until yesterday-here are some then/now photos for comparison:

vs yesterday

Closest poses I can get since 99% of his photos are of him hanging off the cage bars in a dumb way. Does anyone else see a difference and if so, what is it? Wanna know if it's just my imagination or not

(Hint: Not feet/leg, they're still broken)

Other hint: Look at his left side/wing

Bonus bird ignoring the actual perches in favour of a broken bit of branch shoved through the bars

Chicken in Black
May 22, 2005

So lovely
Other than the feathers looking a bit more spare I really don't see a big difference. Perhaps holding his wing a little differently? Goldy holds his wings all stupid and weird, like he's being Quasimodo or something half the time. I get worried he's injured himself then he starts acting normal, and be all insulted I want to check him out.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Someone on reddit got an Ivory Billed Aracari. :3: http://imgur.com/a/gHgzi

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

How do you tell if your birds are loving? Fuji and Hara have been a bit... friendly.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

H110Hawk posted:

oh my god I laughed out loud at that shot of how he sleeps.

:derptiel: BIRDS :derptiel:

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

H110Hawk posted:

Lucha Libre comic book needs a spin-off called Aracari And Lucha-Man.

\:stonk:/ :  "No, tipo pequeño-- ¡Me puso abajo! Juega agradable. BAD TOUCH! BAD TOUCH!"

:taco::   **SQUA-SQUA crnk-crnk cr-CRNK-CRNK**

aerialsilks
Nov 28, 2013

little_firebird posted:

This is the one cage that keeps popping up when I look around: http://amzn.to/1NuI49B . 20.5" width still seems a bit too small to me, but it's definitely bigger in all other aspects. Would this work for a ring-neck?

That should actually work perfectly fine. It's not so thin that they can't flap around, and it's long enough to be comfortable when they can't come out for a bit.

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

Arriviste posted:

Had a dream a few nights ago where I was visiting someone with two new conures and the vibe, I recall, was that the birds were too skittish for strangers. One was a wary floordog and the other promptly climbed up to my face and started preening me and begging for scritches.

Never experienced anything close IRL, so I know I must be reading to much PI right before bed. I woke up feeling all :3:.

My birb dreams are centered around my mother buying a bunch of tiels/keets/conures and either forgetting about them til I freak out or putting them in an inappropriate cage so the dream is spent with them escaping and me trying to save them from the cats.

Tasty_Crayon fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Mar 8, 2015

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Okay, I've got a health question for all the budgie experts in this thread. I have two budgies, one of which - the yellow one - is a recent addition; he's less than a year old. Believe it or not, my dad named him Budgie. Recently, I've noticed some kind of growth or scar right above his (her? Looks too brown-ish to me, although he got sold to us as a male) beak, right below the nose. Here's some pictures - please excuse the potato phone quality, as well as dislodged swings and/or budgie poop!

I got these pictures when they were both half-asleep, so they might look a bit startled from sudden camera snaps and OH MY GOD WHAT IS THAT instinct.

As far as I can tell, they behave as usual: they're both chirping and preening each other, they fly around and explore, they're both eating (apple's a favorite), and they aren't quietly sitting in a corner all fluffed up as sick birds are wont to do. The yellow one is more shy than his older buddy, but that's obviously because he just doesn't know us all that well yet. Whatever that weird bulge is, it doesn't seem to bother him at all, so I figured it might be some kind of wound that didn't heal properly? I just want to make sure it's not a sign of infection or anything.

Too compensate him for the rude photo session, I gave Budgie some apple bits!

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.
Scaly face mites? Brown hypertrophy?

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Chicken in Black posted:

Other than the feathers looking a bit more spare I really don't see a big difference. Perhaps holding his wing a little differently? Goldy holds his wings all stupid and weird, like he's being Quasimodo or something half the time. I get worried he's injured himself then he starts acting normal, and be all insulted I want to check him out.

He was all hunchbacked, it wasn't an act and he really couldn't hold his wing in any other position, and it affected how he walked and moved quite a bit. Now it looks like his body is less tilted and his wing is in an almost normal position, the blue feathers even held next to or sometimes tucked over the other side. The wing being lower and him being less tilted makes his head look slimmer and less blocky too-maybe it's just me thinking that though, if no one else saw a difference. :(

Sociopastry posted:

How do you tell if your birds are loving? Fuji and Hara have been a bit... friendly.

One climbs on top of the other one and grabs hold, folds his tail down and under the other one, and then goes to town :v: There's usually weird noises and it doesn't often last long. Unless you mean how to tell without seeing or hearing that poo poo? If you think they are, they probably are. :v:

Torquemadras posted:

Okay, I've got a health question for all the budgie experts in this thread. I have two budgies, one of which - the yellow one - is a recent addition; he's less than a year old. Believe it or not, my dad named him Budgie. Recently, I've noticed some kind of growth or scar right above his (her? Looks too brown-ish to me, although he got sold to us as a male) beak, right below the nose. Here's some pictures - please excuse the potato phone quality, as well as dislodged swings and/or budgie poop!

Looks like cere hypertrophy. Sometimes that can be caused by mites or other underlying conditions, so you'll want to get it checked out. It could also potentially be a vitamin A deficiency, which can lead to hyperkeratosis. Either way, vet visit soon!

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Welp. My birds are indeed loving. Jesus, guys, it hasn't even been a week.

should I get them something to nest in? I wouldn't be adverse to baby booges, but I also know there's always a risk of health problems.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Sociopastry posted:

should I get them something to nest in? I wouldn't be adverse to baby booges, but I also know there's always a risk of health problems.

do birds get neutered or are you going to have a bunch of little baby birds

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax

Sociopastry posted:

I'd advise against providing a nest, unless you're willing to deal with baby budgies and also with rehoming the baby budgies or potentially suddenly having seven budgies instead of two. Also, if the girl starts laying, she might egg-bind.

As far as I know, budgies won't lay unless provided with a nest, so you should be fine even if they are doing it.

Battle Pigeon posted:

He was all hunchbacked, it wasn't an act and he really couldn't hold his wing in any other position, and it affected how he walked and moved quite a bit. Now it looks like his body is less tilted and his wing is in an almost normal position, the blue feathers even held next to or sometimes tucked over the other side. The wing being lower and him being less tilted makes his head look slimmer and less blocky too-maybe it's just me thinking that though, if no one else saw a difference. :(

I definitely saw a difference! He looks way less lopsided and hunched.

Torquemadras posted:

I got these pictures when they were both half-asleep, so they might look a bit startled from sudden camera snaps and OH MY GOD WHAT IS THAT instinct.

As far as I can tell, they behave as usual: they're both chirping and preening each other, they fly around and explore, they're both eating (apple's a favorite), and they aren't quietly sitting in a corner all fluffed up as sick birds are wont to do. The yellow one is more shy than his older buddy, but that's obviously because he just doesn't know us all that well yet. Whatever that weird bulge is, it doesn't seem to bother him at all, so I figured it might be some kind of wound that didn't heal properly? I just want to make sure it's not a sign of infection or anything.

Too compensate him for the rude photo session, I gave Budgie some apple bits!

I dunno about the lump (but a vet visit would be best right now), but I am pretty sure Budgie is a girl. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
Okay, so , Gnosis and Hubris know Step Up, what could I teach them next?