Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
"The Chernabog." Yeah, it's the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
I missed this dumb gay show I'm so glad it's back

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

GLOSS posted:

So is the Jabberwock supposed to be the huge black dude from Fantasia because he sure looks like it...

Yes, it's the Chernabog and they even go to Bald Mountain where it's kept.

So glad Once is back :dance:

I thought the effects on the Chernabog were pretty good, I expected that to look way worse than it did.

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
We're gonna need a bigger boat...and some water.

Macaluso posted:

I thought the effects on the Chernabog were pretty good, I expected that to look way worse than it did.

Really? I thought it looked very claymationy, which is not in itself a bad thing, but really made it stick out.

Also, there is trusting and then there's dumb....why would you let them keep the scroll?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Fru Fru posted:

Really? I thought it looked very claymationy, which is not in itself a bad thing, but really made it stick out.

Well like I said, it wasn't like amazing. But I guess I always just have super low expectations for TV cgi so it's a pleasant surprise when it looks halfway decent (seriously what was UP with that deer in season 1?)

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch
This isn't up on ABC and it's ALWAYS up on ABC the next morning, first thing. Anyone have any idea why?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I was pretty disappointed that they didn't play Night on Bald Mountain at any point during the episode. It's not like there's a rights issue there.

Meanwhile, I find it hilarious just how many dark secrets that nobody can ever know about every character on the show has; how many mysterious secrets has Snow been keeping now? Also, anyone wanna place bets on how all three villains are going to turn out to be either blood or adoptive relatives to Emma?

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Argue posted:

I was pretty disappointed that they didn't play Night on Bald Mountain at any point during the episode. It's not like there's a rights issue there.

Meanwhile, I find it hilarious just how many dark secrets that nobody can ever know about every character on the show has; how many mysterious secrets has Snow been keeping now? Also, anyone wanna place bets on how all three villains are going to turn out to be either blood or adoptive relatives to Emma?

I am amazed that Snow didn't end up on anti-anxiety medication the second everyone's memories came back in Storybrooke during S1. She's got a lot of poo poo she is carrying around - I'm anxious FOR her.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Fru Fru posted:

Also, there is trusting and then there's dumb....why would you let them keep the scroll?

The Charmings should have taken the scroll back and made Cruella and Ursula improvise. I was hoping for a hand floating in thin air for Rumple to grab onto.

Bunnita
Jun 12, 2002

Was it everything you thought it would be?

Dazerbeams posted:

The Charmings should have taken the scroll back and made Cruella and Ursula improvise. I was hoping for a hand floating in thin air for Rumple to grab onto.

So if it's that easy to bring people back in, why isn't Robin Hood etc back? Did they just not think of it until that one moment?

I know a lot of things are waved away with 'magic' but how do they get food and gasoline and all of that? I've been binging on this series for the past few months and I"m betting the answer is 'just don't think about it' but it's been bugging me. If things are delivered (like Emma's stuff from Boston in season one) how are they delivered?

Probably not important I know.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Argue posted:

Snow was actually infertile back then. They stole Emma from her real mother: Maleficent. Chernabog noticed the family connection!
That would be a pretty dark twist.
The new baby sort of contradicts that theory, but maybe Snow took some magic potion at some point.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

Bunnita posted:

So if it's that easy to bring people back in, why isn't Robin Hood etc back? Did they just not think of it until that one moment?

If Marian is conveniently disposed of somehow, they probably will bring him back that way. The biggest issue in that scenario was that Marian couldn't stay in Storybrooke without straight-up dying, and it would be really cruel to cast her out into the modern world alone.

Bunnita
Jun 12, 2002

effervescible posted:

If Marian is conveniently disposed of somehow, they probably will bring him back that way. The biggest issue in that scenario was that Marian couldn't stay in Storybrooke without straight-up dying, and it would be really cruel to cast her out into the modern world alone.

They could make a case that everything was cured after she went across and wouldn't come back when she did. The problem was the easily negated curse that said if you left you couldn't ever come back.

Onigami Nanashi
Aug 29, 2006
The truth is in here.

GLOSS posted:

So is the Jabberwock supposed to be the huge black dude from Fantasia because he sure looks like it...

Am I the only one who saw Goliath from Gargoyles? Especially in the cave with Ursula, Cruella, and Malificient. I never remember how much I like this stupid show until it comes back with some new ridiculous premise.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Bunnita posted:

They could make a case that everything was cured after she went across and wouldn't come back when she did. The problem was the easily negated curse that said if you left you couldn't ever come back.

Rumple and the others regain their magic when they enter Storybrooke. That wouldn't be the case if "curing" magic by crossing the line was permanent.

Bunnita
Jun 12, 2002

Dazerbeams posted:

Rumple and the others regain their magic when they enter Storybrooke. That wouldn't be the case if "curing" magic by crossing the line was permanent.

No but curing the effects of magic, she's under a curse, an outside piece of magic.

I'd buy it if they went that route.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

This looks like it has more potential than the last half season, even if it's going to involve a lot of bad CG tentacles and a lot of it is a bit nail on the head, even for this show ("We're the villains and we have to get there before the heroes do. Those are literally the terms we are using here"). The Author/ Sorcerer plotline is interesting, making Emma corruptible gives her something to do, that Regina and Emma can be buddy cops sometimes is fun to watch, and it's good to see Gold doing his thing again.

Still, I was really on board for Cruella at first, but I'm already really tired of it. They are going to have to use her in way smaller doses than I expect they will. She's just an explosion of tropes and it's cool the first time but now it feels like she's the toddler in the kindergarten classroom who's talking louder than all the rest of them in an undending stream, so that sometimes the adults are forced to look in her direction and kind of nod as if to say "What's up with that?" The Snow and Charming thing could go either way, but it's definitely not my primary interest.

I wonder if they'll go anywhere with the "Henry might turn evil!" thing they were hinting at for awhile and seem to have sort of lost interest in.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

I like the twist that the author and the sorcerer are different people. It throws another ball into the air.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Is the author someone we've already seen or will it be a new character?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Whatever happened to the typewriter that August had? I always thought that had something to do with the book.

Merlinicus
May 3, 2011
*Destroys painting of birds with ball of fire*

"Can we drop the e-word already?"

"Is there a dwarf named Evil-y?"

Regina has the best lines, seriously.

Silent Linguist
Jun 10, 2009

We binged through the entire show over the past few months, so now I can actually read this thread!

Rumple's objectively the best character on the show. I loved how, in this new ep, he immediately changed from confident mastermind to his old cowardly self as soon as he had a gun pointed at him.

Has anyone else noticed how much weight Robert Carlyle's put on since S1 (in his face at least)? It's pretty striking if you go back and look at him in the pilot.

Also, something that's bugged me for ages: in the first episode with Belle in S1, she kisses Rumple and he starts to turn back into a human (i.e. True Love's kiss breaking the Dark One's curse). So why doesn't this happen again the next time she kisses him? Is it because he doesn't really Truly Love her anymore?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Binary Logic posted:

Is the author someone we've already seen or will it be a new character?

It's the Blue Fairy. :ninja:

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!

Bicyclops posted:

It's the Blue Fairy. :ninja:

It definitely could be! She's enough of a bitch to never really help/trust someone who has been evil.

I've gotta say I'm happy to see Malificent again, but that's because I miss Pam from True Blood. Cruella's not a great actress, but she's hammy enough it works. Ursula's just pouty enough.

Now it makes me wonder if there's a little gay bar in Storybrooke with all these camp queens in town.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Kinda glad they gave Pam all the great lines in the flashback :allears:

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

They did a good job with Cruella's driving style in this episode. It was spot on to the 101 Dalmatians cartoon movie, "road hungry" and a bit erratic.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

legoman727 posted:

"The Chernabog." Yeah, it's the same thing.
Fantasia is on Netflix, in case anyone wanted to watch it.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

fork bomb posted:

They did a good job with Cruella's driving style in this episode. It was spot on to the 101 Dalmatians cartoon movie, "road hungry" and a bit erratic.

While I'm still not really thrilled with the show going to almost exclusively explicit Disney fairy tales, they really have done a great job with the new characters being true to personality and mannerisms of the films. Silly as the Frozen arc was, Anna and Elsa were dead-on flawless.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Elsa was dead-on insomuch as she doesn't really have a personality in the movie. It would've been nice to see more from Elsa besides "guilt-ridden" or "worried."

Edit: because I didn't say it earlier

:argh: blue fairy's back :argh:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Captain von Trapp posted:

While I'm still not really thrilled with the show going to almost exclusively explicit Disney fairy tales, they really have done a great job with the new characters being true to personality and mannerisms of the films. Silly as the Frozen arc was, Anna and Elsa were dead-on flawless.

It's okay when it's characters like Belle and the Beast, because they stray far enough from the original myth to make it interesting, but yeah, I wish they'd stick to that format. Part of the issue with the Frozen characters, I think, is that they were so spot on.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

It's okay when it's characters like Belle and the Beast, because they stray far enough from the original myth to make it interesting, but yeah, I wish they'd stick to that format. Part of the issue with the Frozen characters, I think, is that they were so spot on.

Frozen is also still evolving in terms of its story and brand, so I'm sure they didn't want the show doing too much with the characters and drive them off canon.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Kelly posted:

Frozen is also still evolving in terms of its story and brand, so I'm sure they didn't want the show doing too much with the characters and drive them off canon.

Which, really, is the issue. The show has been very good about incorporating the Disney stuff as fairy tales rather than as a brand, so it throws things off a little.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

So, the Author is Walt Disney, calling it now.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

TheTarrasque posted:

I'd be more shocked if this wasn't the case, to be honest.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

TheTarrasque posted:

People have been saying that since season 1.

Merlinicus
May 3, 2011

TheTarrasque posted:

Well in Fantasia, the Wizard IS Walt Disney. So it's really interesting that the Wizard and the Author are two different people.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
The Wizard and the Author may be mirror universe versions of one another, or some kind of Jekyll and Hyde poo poo for all we know.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Merlinicus posted:

Well in Fantasia, the Wizard IS Walt Disney. So it's really interesting that the Wizard and the Author are two different people.

That is Yen Sid. Totally different names. No connection there at all.
He is the anti-Disney, who actually stops all stories.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The sorcerer is Edward Kitsis, while the author is Adam Horowitz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merlinicus
May 3, 2011
"These are blood diamonds I'll have you know"

Ah hahahaha Cruella.

• Locked thread