Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Bennett does have something of a character schtick, but he usually reserves it for sketches nowadays where he abuses gabe. During his reviews he's pretty much himself from what I saw when he was at a con in guelph a few years ago. And he's definitely been getting better at his reviews since mike the engineer got more involved.

I hope the guy gets better. Back pains would loving suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Hbomberguy posted:

I get the logic of what you're trying to say - you watched the show and had this 'feeling' that the creator really had something to say, and that elevates its quality for you. This is a common feeling in anime - people see all the crosses in Evangelion and think Art, when plenty of Gainax' other shows have similar themes and images and simply execute them in a less pretentious way. TTGL has more to say than Eva by a long shot, and KLK (Trigger but they are basically Gainax come on) more still.

That's not what I'm saying it all: in fact, I even say something like it's not the best in my post. I was merely using a show I really like as an example of my point that some shows do deserve in-depht analysis. Eureka Seven is a different beast than Evangelion, but both can be pretty dense in terms of imagery and reference that go over their audience's head. While they have completely different themes and messages and whatnot, they are similar in that both shows have mechas and both are trying to tell more complicated stories.

As for the creator having soemthing to say, ti's not something I "felt", it's something that can easily be inferred through the show itself, as well as something the director directly stated: https://www.japansociety.org/resources/content/2/0/5/4/documents/sato_mcgray%20interview.pdf (It's a great interview, read it)

I'm not saying only artsy shows can have meaning, I'm saying this particular show could make for a pretty interesting review. In fact, Eureka Seven isn't that artsy: it's a show with giant sky-surfing robots that can turn into cars! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjXD0qx9HsM

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Hbomberguy posted:

Stop what? Explain what I am doing wrong, with language.

Stop posting your blog here

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

For an example of Hbomberguy's sterling abilities at analysis, he pointed out how i was biased towards Man of Steel because as an American I could not stand to see an American city getting destroyed.

I am not American.

Where did this happen?

I see your point monsieurchoc - although i don't sit down to analyse stuff, I come up with most of it in the process of watching it. I don't see 'depth' as a very useful concept personally, though you're welcome to explain it to me. I am, as we have seen, quite stupid. I'm phoneposting, I'll read your link when i get home.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Hbomberguy posted:

Where did this happen?

Comic Book Movies thread. I checked, and you were more implying it, but nevertheless retracted it.

But those kind of 'slips' are pretty good at showing how people come to certain conclusions, wouldn't you say? :)

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!

Mokinokaro posted:

Diamanda Hagan has become far more frightening. ;)

I enjoy her videos but I think she'd be even funnier if she dropped the whole "villain" schtick. Her commentary is great and can stand on its own. From her non-Hagan stuff I get the impression she's a pretty decent person too.

For what it's worth, I'm really enjoying Movie Nights and have to agree with the opinions posted here that it's definitely at its best when you have a guest. The format just works a lot better with you having someone to play off of.

Yes, she's a good example of a character, although her opinions in the reviews are hers. She's super intelligent and fun to talk to if you ever get the chance. And thanks about Movie Nights! I wish I could have a co-host all the time, but unfortunately it just has to be when people are available. All the Phelan ones were shot while he was visiting.

The comment about Doug not being able to internet is also true. At least when Holly was there, his video commentaries were recorded by sitting close to his camera and recording it on there, because he did not know how to record at his computer. I can also confirm that he doesn't know how to use MP3 Skype Recorder and refuses to learn because he tried it once and it didn't work. True story, he asked me to sit in on the Moulin Rouge commentary and record them. Not to be in the commentary, just to be there and press record. Phelan called him up and went over how to use MP3 Skype recorder, step by step (download it, get in a skype call, and press record--that's literally it). And then he just had Nash do it. As far as I know, he still doesn't know how it works.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
I know 70-year-olds who have more patience with technology and computer expertise than Doug Walker. Jesus.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

For an example of Hbomberguy's sterling abilities at analysis, he pointed out how i was biased towards Man of Steel because as an American I could not stand to see an American city getting destroyed.

I am not American.

Wait did you or did you not like Man of Steel this is important ( the right answer is you thought it was a piece of poo poo).

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Man of Steel is a bad movie, but it is in no way playing on 9/11 traumas and suggesting otherwise is dumb.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Man of Steel is the best Superman movie.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Gyges posted:

The best superman movie is the Fleitcher cartoons.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
MoS is clearly the right movie to base the whole DC movie universe on.

EDIT: I am trying to be sarcastic. I hope you're smart enough to see that.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I didn't dislike MoS, but I think I would have liked it better if it had been a bit less dour-looking.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

HBG I like you but you keep making a lot of erroneous assumptions about what other posters are thinking and saying, and then barfing out textwalls based on that.

You should not do that. It is annoying and dumb.

Stick to analyses of movies and videro games. You are good at that. Also laughing at fake skulls.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Gyges posted:

:frogout:

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.
Arrow is the best Batman TV show.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Wheat Loaf posted:

I didn't dislike MoS, but I think I would have liked it better if it had been a bit less dour-looking.

I just hate that DC makes everything so grim dark. Not that the Marvel films are perfect or anything but at least kids can watch them and have those heros still. Kids don't really have a Batman or Superman these days unless they go back to the animated series for them.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Tracula posted:

I just hate that DC makes everything so grim dark. Not that the Marvel films are perfect or anything but at least kids can watch them and have those heros still. Kids don't really have a Batman or Superman these days unless they go back to the animated series for them.

Batman was always grim outside of the Adam West series, but grim Superman movies just do not work. Superman is an extremely positive character by definition.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Bat the animated series managed to balance the fun aspects of batman with the grimness of his character. Like harley quinn being a complete goofball but stustill indicative of a abusive relationship between her and the joker

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Just last year we had a children's movie with Batman in it.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I find that people over emphasize and inflate the amount of "grim dark" in Man of Steel. Especially in the fight between Clark and Zod in Metropolis.

MonsieurChoc posted:

The best superman movie is the Fleitcher cartoons.

While great, they aren't really a movie. I need to go back and watch those again to see if Lois is still awesome in them or if other versions of Lois are infiltrating my memories of Fleitcher Lois.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I really enjoyed Man of Steel. I liked the man trying to find his place in the world angle they went with. It certainly wasn't perfect and could have done more to connect Clark with the audience and Superman with the people he was trying to save.

Gyges posted:

While great, they aren't really a movie. I need to go back and watch those again to see if Lois is still awesome in them or if other versions of Lois are infiltrating my memories of Fleitcher Lois.

She took a lot of initiative but she often got in over her head that required Superman to save her. Still great cartoons, but the last four became war propaganda films when they switched studios. So expect racist caricatures of the Japanese and King Kong-style native tribal folk.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Gyges posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7U8_Cn3m-s&t=3m49s

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gyges posted:

I find that people over emphasize and inflate the amount of "grim dark" in Man of Steel. Especially in the fight between Clark and Zod in Metropolis.

Well, I was talking about the actual colours of it* moreso than the tone (if that's the right word to use). Sure, it was a bit "darker" than Superman movies traditionally are, but it was hardly, I don't know, Watchmen or anything. I'm not sure if I;d like it if Superman in the comics became MoS Superman all of a sudden, but don't think every portrayal of the character has to be the same.

*Honestly, the fact that some of the early photos for the next one alone show him in a slightly bluer suit is enough to make me optimistic about it.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

echopapa posted:

Sometimes I think TGWTG fans are like that. Just sitting there with their opinions, waiting for someone with a camera to be parental substitutes and tell them their opinions are OK. And occasionally trying to impress their video parents by doing things they think will impress them.

“I was considering giving up on trying to date women entirely, until the nostalgia critic explained…”

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Just last year we had a children's movie with Batman in it.

And that version of the character is getting a spin off. A while back Devin Faraci or Drew McWeeny (or some other ex-AICN or CHUD contributor) was talking up a pitch that they'd heard was doing the rounds.

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Mar 9, 2015

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.
Most of these Internet Personalities, and not just the critics (although in away they're all critics of our culture), is that to some extent they're all playing characters, but the characters are extensions of themselves and a vehicle for them to express their opinions in more exaggerated ways. And this isn't just the youtubers, it's also podcasters, tv, radio personalities and comedians who all do this to some extent.

So when they say "It's just a character!" there's always some semblance of truth to it. They're saying what they say primarily for entertainment purposes. More often than not it is their true opinion, though, just exaggerated to generate a stronger reaction. There are exceptions, of course. Colbert, for example, who is obviously parodying the opinions he expresses on his show. But for the most part, you can bet that the personality is using this entertainment avenue as a platform to let their true opinions flow, exaggerated for entertainment purposes or not. Still, I don't take it very seriously since after all, it is primarily entertainment and they're just people with flawed opinions just like everyone else. The only correct opinion is mine, after all ... until I change my mind.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Mar 8, 2015

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

High Warlord Zog posted:

You know, for an internet critic Doug sure doesn't internet very well. Maybe I'm being disingenuous, but considering his non-existent social media presence, and the absolute lack of fucks given re: managing his website and the community it attracts, this seems a fair assumption.

For some reason, I couldn't get past the fact that Doug was never bothered to check his spelling. Granted, not everyone in the world has a fantastic time with spelling, but he continued to make incredibly obvious errors of the sort that couldn't be caught with spellcheck - such as homophonic pairs, like substituting "pair" for "pear" as in "partridge in a pair tree."
But yes, I do get the feeling he doesn't know how to use the internet or technology to its best advantage.

emeriin
Feb 1, 2015
To his slight credit I believe (of course he could be lying, who knows) he said he has dyslexia and has complained at Rob in a commentary for not proof-reading a word that actually ended up being right.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

emeriin posted:

To his slight credit I believe (of course he could be lying, who knows) he said he has dyslexia and has complained at Rob in a commentary for not proof-reading a word that actually ended up being right.

He mentioned that in one of the "11 Fuckup Videos". (too lazy to look up which one). In the video he pointed out he even hosed up spelling his own name in the credits once.

I tend not to give people too much poo poo for spelling. My first language is English, and I have excellent skills in it-- and even I gently caress up spelling. It's just one of those things that can be completely invisible, no matter how many times you stare at it. Human brains are funny things.

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!
Half in the Bag looks at the South African film Chappie starring Hugh Jackmans glorious mullet.
http://redlettermedia.com/half-in-the-bag-chappie/

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Are there any "classics" in internet reviewing?

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I guess you could count ClassicGameRoom and the likes of ToastyFrog there. AgonyBooth and StompTokyo come to mind as well.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Old Man Murray?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I meant more like classic reviews.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Mraagvpeine posted:

Are there any "classics" in internet reviewing?

The oldest stuff is text, from a time before streaming video. Here are the first internet reviews I can remember finding, back in the last century.

http://www.badmovies.org/
http://www.syndicateconsortium.com/sites/autumntysko/

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.
Didn't Spoony start off doing primarily text reviews before he went to video? He's been around for a long time, I know.

One of the first review sites I can remember going to was Harry Knowles' "Aint it Cool News". Which I think is still around in some form or another. Don't feel like looking for it though. What an ugly site. I remember him drumming up hype for Star Wars episode 1 saying it was the best movie ever and that Lucas hadn't lost his touch when he went to a preview showing. He also had all the inside scoops on the lord of the rings movies when they started going into production. He wasn't so much a reviewer as he was hype cranker outer. He was full of poo poo. He did invent the buttnumbathon though. I love that word and still use it to this day.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Mar 9, 2015

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
There've been over 15 years of movie reviews going on at a place called Something Awful Dot Com.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Gianthogweed posted:

Didn't Spoony start off doing primarily text reviews before he went to video? He's been around for a long time, I know.

Yeah, not even online; he was the movie reviewer in the Knights of the Dinner Table comic for a while, before he got cut due to budget issues. That's why he started up his site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Speaking of AICN, there's Vern, a reviewer who's been doing it like 20 years:

http://www.outlawvern.com/

And then there's the guy he stole his gimmick from: Joe Bob Briggs aka John Bloom, who I've been reading since he had an e-mail list for his reviews, who doesn't really count because he has pre-internet books and newspaper columns:

http://www.joebobbriggs.com/

• Locked thread