Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

dovetaile posted:

The worst part about being an English major was having all the novels at the end of the semester and being unable to sell them back because "Oh we're not taking that next semester". I think I sold back two out of the dozens of books I had.

Luckily pretty much everything I needed is available via project gutenberg or google.

No you piece of poo poo bookstore, I will not buy your repackaged public domain bullshit! :argh:

The worst part about being an English Major is theory. gently caress Theory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

Oh, put that thing away, Samurai. We all know what's going to happen. You'll swing your sword, I'll fly away, and probably say something like, "I'll be back, Samurai!" And then I'll flutter over the horizon and we probably won't see each for... about a week. And then we'll do the same thing again.
I passed my physics midterm with a B+.

I still have no idea what the gently caress is going on though.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I have a professor that went on a massive fifteen minute rant about how irresponsible and awful most of the people in the class are and how we're behind because we suck.

He has just flat out not shown up for class three times and other than that I've seen him on time twice. Total.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Glasgow Kiss posted:

I passed my physics midterm with a B+.

I still have no idea what the gently caress is going on though.

It's alright, I took Physics 1 twice and got A's in all the courses that required it and have by BSME and still don't understand quite a bit of Physics.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
God i wish canadian textbooks were available on pirate sites because having ti pay 90$ on an online copy is insane

Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

:33 < APEX PURREDATOR
I did chemistry for undergrad, and usually at a reasonable time before the class started my professors would send out an email to the class either saying "oh god don't buy the newest edition the last or 2nd to last one is just fine and 1/4 the price" or "yeah you actually need the newest edition of the textbook sorry". I don't recall there being a conflict of interest in that second subset more than once, though.

I think the money I most resent spending, ironically, was $20 on a DVD of Porgy and Bess for a mandatory humanities GE class. The opera itself was alright but it was 3 hours long with the longest, screechiest high notes I've heard in any dramatic production. A friend and I bit the bullet and watched it together, only to emerge at the end of the 3 hours to find a group of our friends in the same class watching it at 1.5x speed. I want that hour of my life back.

Then at the end of the semester the DVD was unreturnable since it had been opened.

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I have a professor that went on a massive fifteen minute rant about how irresponsible and awful most of the people in the class are and how we're behind because we suck.

He has just flat out not shown up for class three times and other than that I've seen him on time twice. Total.

Its always the worst, least organized profs that do this. Maybe the missing link in this class being lovely is...you?

I just wanted to vent about people who come to lectures just to watch some lovely K-drama or whatever on their ipad the entire time. Why are you even loving here? They aren't taking attendance so why even show up if you give so little of a poo poo?

Andohz
Aug 15, 2004

World's Strongest Smelly Hobo
Doing a 3 month group project using assembler with three other engineering students. :suicide:

They seem to prefer working from home because I never see any of them in the lab but random components magically appear soldered onto the project. Trying to schedule meetings is like pulling teeth even though we all live within 20 minutes of the school and have classes or lectures every day.

We have a limited number of registers so the first thing we decided was to all use aliases instead of registry names. That way, when we then realize two of us are using the same register one of us just have to change alias from "= r16" to "= r17" or some other register.

Got a big chunk of code from one of them today and he of course hasn't used aliases at all. This is the same guy who went half the project time without apparently coding a single line of assembler, just wiring/soldering some stuff and thinking that was ok.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
I've never been so glad that my boss registered as a Training Practice as when I see my veterinary nursing classmates frantically scrabble for summer placements. Three have begged me to see if my boss will take them on but we're apparently only able to take me on. Also gently caress the competition.

Textbook chat: I got most of my texts from Waterstones marketplace, where they sell preowned texts for rock bottom prices. The only book I got new was the BSAVA Textbook of Veterinary Nursingwhivh my boss got on discount.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Partners:

1. Tell him, hey, we're meeting at 2:30.
2. I completely forget that I have a meeting. Check email
3. Hi (not actually my name), this is Matt from econ309. I'm in library, it's 5 after 2.

:cripes: gently caress me with a long wooden stick.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Group projects aren't that bad

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Hipster Occultist posted:

Luckily pretty much everything I needed is available via project gutenberg or google.

No you piece of poo poo bookstore, I will not buy your repackaged public domain bullshit! :argh:

I did have a couple classes where I unwittingly bought a different translation than what the professor was teaching, which lead to some differences in interpretation. In one class, the professor was teaching a really tepid, old translation of Death in Venice that's very shy about, you know, the whole pedophilia angle, while I picked up a newer translation that was pretty vividly lusty. It had a dream sequence involving a huge wooden penis that the professor's text apparently danced around by calling it a "monument to passion" or something.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Austrian mook posted:

Group projects aren't that bad

I found the guy who lets everyone else do all the work.

So a prof I have shared a ton of files from her Google Drive with me. Just me. I asked other people in the class about it, they didn't get any of it at all. I got:

All the course outlines for her other classes.
All the PowerPoints for these classes.
Several tests with notes about grading, but no answers.
Full chapters from a textbook in pdf form.
Various .jpgs used for case studies in marketing, 8 different images
At least 10 different versions of a student's research paper.

I have no clue what the hell she did to share all of that with me. I'm not the kind of person to try and get her in trouble either, so I just removed it all since it was making it very difficult to find actual shared documents I needed from her and others. It was just completely baffling.

Aristophanes
Aug 11, 2012

Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever!
Seems like an accident to me, probably meant to share that stuff with someone else. That stuff could come in handy for you (maybe), but I admire your integrity for getting rid of it all anyway.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Yeah, probably an auto-complete screwup. Good on you for removing it instead of selling tests for twenty bucks apiece.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
That's just dumb. You got handed a free 300$ at least and you threw it away.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
I had an assignment due in a class by 11:45 pm saturday. Go to submit at 10 pm and d2l is doing "routine planned maintenance"

I emailed my professor about it. loving hell.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

DEAR RICHARD posted:

I had an assignment due in a class by 11:45 pm saturday. Go to submit at 10 pm and d2l is doing "routine planned maintenance"

I emailed my professor about it. loving hell.

Not to be a jackass, but this kind of thing is a significant part of why professors generally recommend you don't leave submitting assignments until an hour or two before they're do. Problems and accidents can and do come up.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Speaking as someone who's been on the administrative side of that divide: it's a deadline, not a loving target.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

thespaceinvader posted:

Speaking as someone who's been on the administrative side of that divide: it's a deadline, not a loving target.

on one hand yeah, but on the other hand the professor will probably give the guy who posted that a second chance, so nah

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

ArtIsResistance posted:

on one hand yeah, but on the other hand the professor will probably give the guy who posted that a second chance, so nah

I only do this if they take screenshots of their attempts and seeing it down at the time and an attempt closer to the deadline.

When I submit assignments for the class I'm taking electronically I always use the snipping tool of the successful submission just in case something happens as proof.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I graduated in 1990 and was just at the breaking point where I was no longer going to be able to attend due to rapidly rising costs. I think tuition was something like $318 a quarter when I started and $600 when I finished four years later.

I have no idea how anyone can still afford college, especially if like me they had to work to pay for it.

EDIT: Sweet jesus it's now over $4,000 per quarter. :smithicide:

Dick Trauma has a new favorite as of 18:48 on Mar 8, 2015

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
My school is $13 grand a year :shepspends:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

Except for the profs who get pissed off if things are turned in early.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

My school is $13 grand a year :shepspends:

same except $16k, the second most expensive public university in these great united states

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Tunicate posted:

What mythical profs are these?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Dick Trauma posted:

I have no idea how anyone can still afford college

No one can.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

Thinking about costs keeps me awake at night sometimes. i'm trying to get as much done as possible at community college first where it's only $47/credit even though it's taking me forever and I just want to transfer already. It'll all be worth it in the end, right?! :gbsmith:

contagonist
Jul 21, 2014

You shouldn't be doing anything with fluorine.
In my last semester, three of my final exams were on the same day, at the same time.

I was able to scoot out of the Biochem final because it was more a 'grade override' deal and I already passed the class, but the ones for Stats and Calc were 'Departmental,' which is apparently a magic word that means "gently caress you, we're not rescheduling."

After I sent an email to the Department head with both of my syllabi and a forwarded email from the Stats department refusing to reschedule that exam, they allowed me to take the exam early.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

HOLY gently caress posted:

Thinking about costs keeps me awake at night sometimes. i'm trying to get as much done as possible at community college first where it's only $47/credit even though it's taking me forever and I just want to transfer already. It'll all be worth it in the end, right?! :gbsmith:

Where the gently caress do you go that's $50 a credit? My lovely community college costs twice that!

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

contagonist posted:

In my last semester, three of my final exams were on the same day, at the same time.

Wow. Here the exam schedule is set by the university based on the course meeting time of day / week, so it's impossible to have a conflict. The only time there is an issue is when a professor decides to break the rules and schedule on their own time, but students can really easily overrule that.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

Astrofig posted:

Where the gently caress do you go that's $50 a credit? My lovely community college costs twice that!

Sacramento, California. I am drat thankful for $47 a credit, believe me. It's the cost of university after transferring that has me worried.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
You're going to fall into crippling debt like the rest of us haha.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Tunicate posted:

Admittedly, my experience is limited to a few institutions, but I have never encountered such an individual.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

thespaceinvader posted:

Admittedly, my experience is limited to a few institutions, but I have never encountered such an individual.

Speaking as someone on the non-student side of the divide, I can understand a prof being a bit suspicious if you get an assignment to them REALLY early, on suspicion of cheating or just rushing the assignment without taking the time to do it properly, but I suspect in this case that it's just a strawman.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Gobblecoque posted:

You're going to fall into crippling debt like the rest of us haha.

I know. :negative:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

Ironically, my project management prof was like that. Wouldn't accept early work in person, said he'd delete any emails before the due date.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

Cythereal posted:

Not to be a jackass, but this kind of thing is a significant part of why professors generally recommend you don't leave submitting assignments until an hour or two before they're do. Problems and accidents can and do come up.

It was a 'respond to x amount of students in this weeks discussion by 11:45' thing, so it wasn't a huge deal. I'm still going to get an A in the class, and yeah, I shouldn't have waited that long to do it. I wanted to make sure I actually had some poo poo to respond to in the different threads that all say the same thing.

I emailed him and said why the only thing I posted that week was my initial post, and I accepted the full responsibility for not paying attention to the maintenance window tab.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

This week has been more intense than finals week. If I make it through tomorrow, I'm golden, but if I don't, I'm throwing myself off the library. Holy gently caress, I've literally had a project due in every class, plus labs, weekly assignments, in addition to three midterms. :suicide101:

Must be the spring break next week that's made every professor realize that they need to inflict as much suffering as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

A White Guy posted:

This week has been more intense than finals week. If I make it through tomorrow, I'm golden, but if I don't, I'm throwing myself off the library. Holy gently caress, I've literally had a project due in every class, plus labs, weekly assignments, in addition to three midterms. :suicide101:

Must be the spring break next week that's made every professor realize that they need to inflict as much suffering as possible.

My semester has been pretty much like this. Rather than anything being spread out at all, I get all sorts of poo poo thrown into exactly one week like a turbo-fuckyou-finals week. I had one of these weeks a couple weeks ago and next week is pretty much gonna be the same.

• Locked thread