Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
What's a good game that uses music to generate levels? I used to love Vib-Ribbon, and I liked the Ninja modes in Audiosurf, but thought most of the rest were too confusing. I still haven't played Beat Hazard, and I'm not sure what else along these lines is out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Rollersnake posted:

What's a good game that uses music to generate levels? I used to love Vib-Ribbon, and I liked the Ninja modes in Audiosurf, but thought most of the rest were too confusing. I still haven't played Beat Hazard, and I'm not sure what else along these lines is out there.

Beat Hazard is a lot of fun. It's basically a cross between Asteroid, Geometry Wars, a modern shmup, and a very expensive fireworks show.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Danger Mahoney posted:

Time for my annual check for the latest in good couch-coop games. There are three of us and we would like to play games together toward a common goal. Platform doesn't matter as long as it's not Xbox One (don't got it).

Games we have played and enjoyed: Diablo 3, Awesomenauts, Dungeon Defenders, Black Ops 2 (split screen against bots), Guardian of Light, Trine 2, and the Rayman games. Also Nintendoland, which was pretty fun.

Dragon's Crown is a pretty fun side scrolling beat-em-up (like the old Golden Axe type games).

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
I'm in love with both Fallen London and Sunless Sea. But the grind of Fallen London is starting to bore me, and the random brutality of Sunless Sea is a turn off.

Accordingly, I'm interested in recommendations for interactive fiction and MUDs. I am aware that Interactive Fiction awards are given annually and that's a good place to start, but I'd love recommendations from people who have played and enjoyed specific titles. And I know that we have a MUD thread, but it seems spare for evaluations of actual games.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
I guess Howling Dogs is considered IF, even if you just go through the motions. It's a fantastic trippy loving ride though

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

prometheusbound2 posted:

I'm in love with both Fallen London and Sunless Sea. But the grind of Fallen London is starting to bore me, and the random brutality of Sunless Sea is a turn off.

Accordingly, I'm interested in recommendations for interactive fiction and MUDs. I am aware that Interactive Fiction awards are given annually and that's a good place to start, but I'd love recommendations from people who have played and enjoyed specific titles. And I know that we have a MUD thread, but it seems spare for evaluations of actual games.
Please play Anchorhead if you haven't already

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Momohime Katsumi posted:

I'm looking for a co-op game that my friend with an old PC can play with me. We've stuck with dungeon crawlers so far: Torchlight 2 and D3. I know her graphics card is old but she can run skyrim. Basically I want something that we can play casually (once a week) but also sink a lot of time into. I don't think she can run borderlands for some reason.

Maybe you should check out Divinty: Original Sin. I havent tried it myself but a friend of mine is raving about how cool it is. It has been getting some pretty good reviews aswell.

GyverMac fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Mar 3, 2015

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
So I've started replaying Battlestations: Pacific to get a little bit of arcade ship shooting action. Aside from Battlestations: Midway are there any games out there that fill the same niche? Naval battles that are presented at a non-strategic level?

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
Naval Action would probably be right up your alley, though it's only in alpha right now. I'm not sure if you're only interested in more realistic games, but Sunless Sea has a pretty deep combat system. It's a bit unintuitive, but it's pretty fun once you get the hang of it.

Any recommendations for smaller-scale RTSs, like Warcraft 3 or Company of Heroes?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Cantaloupe posted:

Naval Action would probably be right up your alley, though it's only in alpha right now. I'm not sure if you're only interested in more realistic games, but Sunless Sea has a pretty deep combat system. It's a bit unintuitive, but it's pretty fun once you get the hang of it.

Any recommendations for smaller-scale RTSs, like Warcraft 3 or Company of Heroes?

Dawn of War 2

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Cantaloupe posted:

Dawn of War / Dawn of War 2 ?

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
I played the first one when it came out, but never got around to the sequel(s). Guess I'll pick them up in the next sale!

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Cantaloupe posted:

I played the first one when it came out, but never got around to the sequel(s). Guess I'll pick them up in the next sale!

Keep in mind that DoW2's single player is basically an ARPG with RTS elements. It's really loving great.

Mayostard
Apr 21, 2007

In the Chamber of Understanding
I need a recommendation for something light to play on PC, PS3, or 3DS after I finish Dragon Age Inquisition. I want a game that isn't too heavy to bridge between DAI and Shadow of Mordor.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Zaphod42 posted:

Dawn of War / Dawn of War 2 ?

Dawn of War was great.

2 is incredibly tedious in single player. If you must get it, play it on the easiest difficulty. It will still be tedious, but at least it won't take hours every level. Higher difficulty isn't really harder, it just takes longer to kill everything.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

LLSix posted:

Dawn of War was great.

2 is incredibly tedious in single player. If you must get it, play it on the easiest difficulty. It will still be tedious, but at least it won't take hours every level. Higher difficulty isn't really harder, it just takes longer to kill everything.

Hmm, I really liked 2, more than 1 in fact. I'm not great at RTSes so the limited number of units to manage and the lack of base-building were perfect for me.

This guy has it right:

Bouchacha posted:

Keep in mind that DoW2's single player is basically an ARPG with RTS elements. It's really loving great.

I generally find ARPGs to be kind of boring and simplistic. I guess DoW2 found a sweet spot for me between a single-character ARPG and a full scale RTS - managing a handful of characters/squads at once provides enough variety and gives me enough to do that it's engaging but not overwhelming.

As for difficulty... what I remember (it's been ages) is that harder settings mean more enemies that do way more damage, so it forces you to be on point with managing your guys. It does mean you have to play more cautiously and hence slowly to an extent, but it's not just the same thing as easy only longer. On easy you can faceroll through groups of dudes, on hard you have to micro effectively.

Beyond the gameplay, I also thought DoW2 nailed the WH40K setting and style. Totally overblown nonsense, but delivered with flair. At least for the OC and I think Chaos Rising; my memory is that Retribution was pretty bad.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Retribution is great, specially the Ork campaign.

MPLS to NOLA
Aug 14, 2010

i gotta little trigger
twitchin in my brain
and when that doesn't start
there's murder in my heart
What are your favorite not-actiony DS games? I played all the big VNs I think, working on Dragon Quest main series remakes, don't much care for Fire Emblem. Serious replies only

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
My favorite right now is Fantasy Life. It's a hack and slash in gameplay most of the time, but the crafting system and the story is generally adorable. It's amazing, and my absolutely my favorite DS game at the moment for the crafting system and the multiplayer options.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
I am interested in science fiction games with alien aliens(i.e. not humans in funny make up a la star trek or Mass Effect). Something along the lines of what Master of Orion III tried(and failed) to do. Star Control 2 had a good mix as well.

I am indifferent to genre or platform.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

prometheusbound2 posted:

I am interested in science fiction games with alien aliens

Ascendancy, Iron Seed, Alien Legacy, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri. Freespace 2, sort of?

As far as more recent games go, I'd say Dead Space, and to a lesser degree XCOM. In the Endless series of games all the playable races and factions are more or less humanoid, but the setting is weird and interesting enough.

Also, this is kinda stretching it, but Reassembly with it's chill music and abstract graphics has a sort of an otherworldly feeling to it.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

prometheusbound2 posted:

I am interested in science fiction games with alien aliens.

Sword Of The Stars had pretty interesting aliens. Couldn't stand the gameplay, and the sequel was actual garbage so bad they refunded it if you asked, so I can't say I recommend them, but the background was cool to read.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Unreal_One posted:

Sword Of The Stars had pretty interesting aliens. Couldn't stand the gameplay, and the sequel was actual garbage so bad they refunded it if you asked, so I can't say I recommend them, but the background was cool to read.

The complete edition of SotS is pretty good as it adds a lot of necessary features the original was missing. You don't get a feel for the aliens since it's an empire building game but all the races play completely uniquely. The humans are actually recommended for advanced players because of how they interact with the map, it's completely counter to most game designs.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Can anyone recommend some good, recent (2010+) PC games that aren't and haven't been on Steam? I haven't even looked at non-steam PC releases for years. I have 7 games on my Desura account and most of them are on Steam, too.

Genre isn't important, I'm just looking for standout games that I've missed by only looking at Steam for new releases.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Hick Magnet posted:

Can anyone recommend some good, recent (2010+) PC games that aren't and haven't been on Steam? I haven't even looked at non-steam PC releases for years. I have 7 games on my Desura account and most of them are on Steam, too.

Genre isn't important, I'm just looking for standout games that I've missed by only looking at Steam for new releases.

Starsector.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Finally caved and bought a Wii U bundle, and we're almost done with Mario 3D World. Recommend some good co-op games to go to next? We're probably going to gravitate toward DK tropical Freeze, but other titles to look out for would be great. Mario Kart/Party/Smash Bros are all sort of implied, but those are also mostly head to head contests rather than co-op. Story mode co-op where we work through a campaign would be the best.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Tagra posted:

Finally caved and bought a Wii U bundle, and we're almost done with Mario 3D World. Recommend some good co-op games to go to next? We're probably going to gravitate toward DK tropical Freeze, but other titles to look out for would be great. Mario Kart/Party/Smash Bros are all sort of implied, but those are also mostly head to head contests rather than co-op. Story mode co-op where we work through a campaign would be the best.

The girlfriend and I have been enjoying Disney Infinity 2.0. It isn't the most difficult or in depth game but we've been having fun with it and she's able to control it just fine.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Tagra posted:

Hyrule warriors can be played co-op on almost every story/campaign level (a few are solo only for reasons??) and its wicked good times co-op. Work together to smash dudes in the face. Also you can play as Zelda or Impa which is pretty rad.

Pikmin 3 is pretty good times, although the co-op is a seperate mode from story campaign and you can't co-op the story campaign. Still, good, chill times to be had.

Nintendoland is pretty much a WiiU tech demo but its got some fun stuff in there for playing around with co-op using the gamepad.

Monster Hunter 3U rules hardcore, but to co-op you'd need a 3DS and a copy of MH3U on 3ds, which is awkward. And 4U is out now on 3ds (although not on WiiU) so play that instead unless you don't have 2 3ds but you do have a wiiu and a 3ds.

Skylanders? Maybe your thing, maybe not. Its kinda like a mix of simple platforming and ARPG combat, like Mario 64 mixed with Diablo? The whole thing is co-op.

Smash Bros / Mario Kart are obviously ridiculously fun.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Mar 11, 2015

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Zaphod42 posted:

Monster Hunter 3U rules hardcore, but to co-op you'd need a 3DS and a copy of MH3U on 3ds, which is awkward. And 4U is out now on 3ds (although not on WiiU) so play that instead unless you don't have 2 3ds but you do have a wiiu and a 3ds.

Uggghhh we really wanted to co-op MH but we tried the demo of it on the DS and the camera was intolerable, so we didn't want to pay for two copies of it only to have someone stuck with that. We don't have the newest DS with the camera stick on it. Boo.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tagra posted:

Rayman Legends and Sonic All-Stars Transformed are both great co-op fun.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Tagra posted:

Uggghhh we really wanted to co-op MH but we tried the demo of it on the DS and the camera was intolerable, so we didn't want to pay for two copies of it only to have someone stuck with that. We don't have the newest DS with the camera stick on it. Boo.

Did you really try using the on-screen D-pad? Its surprisingly effective at controlling the camera.

Also, make sure you understand how the lock-on works. Its pretty much necessary. Spamming lock-on takes some practice but makes the game work pretty drat well even on 3DS. Lock on only works for boss monsters, but in MH after the first hour all you fight is boss monsters.

Note that 4U is even better and makes several changes (like no underwater battles) that make the camera much less of an issue. But again, 4U isnt on WiiU.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I really like Witcher, Bioware, & Telltale style choose your own adventure games where your choices give at least the illusion of mattering.

Where could I find more stuff like that?

(Besides alpha protocol, and deus ex...)

weak wrists big dick
Dec 18, 2012

good job. you are getting legitametly upset because I won't confrom to your secret internet cliques gross social standards. Sorry I don't like anime. Sorry I don't like being gross on the internet. Sorry that you are getting caremad.

your stupid shit internet argument is also only half true once I get probated, so checkmate anyways but nice try.

]
A f2p shootymans/fps/tank/airplane/any combination of the above where the Funny Money (™) that they use is ONLY for cosmetics, meaning the guy who pours $500 into the game has no advantage whatsoever against the guy who has played for 50 hours. I might be asking for too much but it would be a godsend to see a game like this, as College is eating up all my money. Also, no MOBAs. Those are for dorks.

E: in hindsight I am asking too much, one with Funny Money (™) to skip a minimal grind will go for it too.

weak wrists big dick fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Mar 15, 2015

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Turtlicious posted:

I really like Witcher, Bioware, & Telltale style choose your own adventure games where your choices give at least the illusion of mattering.

Pillars of Eternity is out in 11 days, and I think it might be right up your alley from this description. It's made by Obsidian just like Alpha Protocol, but built more in the spirit of BG2 than later Bioware games. Your choices affect the outcomes of quests and stories, and your attitudes make people react differently (they track traits like 'benevolent', 'cruel', 'diplomatic', 'passionate', etc) to your character. The latest iteration of the backer beta looks promising for the quality of the finished game, but the whole game has yet to appear in players' hands, so YMMV, caveat emptor, etc.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Buttmeister posted:

A f2p shootymans/fps/tank/airplane/any combination of the above where the Funny Money (™) that they use is ONLY for cosmetics, meaning the guy who pours $500 into the game has no advantage whatsoever against the guy who has played for 50 hours. I might be asking for too much but it would be a godsend to see a game like this, as College is eating up all my money. Also, no MOBAs. Those are for dorks.

E: in hindsight I am asking too much, one with Funny Money (™) to skip a minimal grind will go for it too.

Load Out.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Turtlicious posted:

Dreamfall Chapters, Kentucky Route Zero, and Life is Strange. All of them are episodic and none of them are finished but KRZ is halfway through and is amazing and Chapters is only two episodes in and its already really fantastic and quite lengthy. (Playing The Longest Journey and Dreamfall before hand are mandatory though, but both are classics so you should play them regardless) LiF is still really early to truly gauge but Episode 1 was still a really strong start, I recommend keeping an eye on it if you think its too early to jump in.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

I'm a lifelong PC gamer, but I like to pick up consoles a generation behind for all the awesome exclusives. I just got myself a PS3 and a bunch of games but I want more suggestions. I'm looking for games that didn't come out on PC and that don't require good thumbstick aiming skills (I suck at console shooters).

So far I have: The Uncharted series, the Infamous series, The Last of Us, SotC/Ico, Journey, MGS4, Red Dead Redemption, Heavy Rain, Ratchet and Clank Into the Nexus, and Ni No Kuni.

I'm already planning to get: Gran Turismo, Kingdom Hearts HD Remix.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Gangringo posted:

I'm a lifelong PC gamer, but I like to pick up consoles a generation behind for all the awesome exclusives. I just got myself a PS3 and a bunch of games but I want more suggestions. I'm looking for games that didn't come out on PC and that don't require good thumbstick aiming skills (I suck at console shooters).

So far I have: The Uncharted series, the Infamous series, The Last of Us, SotC/Ico, Journey, MGS4, Red Dead Redemption, Heavy Rain, Ratchet and Clank Into the Nexus, and Ni No Kuni.

I'm already planning to get: Gran Turismo, Kingdom Hearts HD Remix.
Nier, Bayonetta, Resistance 1, Ratchet and Clank: Future Tools of Destruction, Demon's Souls (I have no desire to play it but its well liked as well as PS3 exclusive, unlike its successors, the Darks Souls games which are on PC.), Disgaea 3, and keep an eye on Persona 5.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Mar 15, 2015

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Also, Heavy Rain is absolute trash and one of the worst written games in video game history.

It's also arguably David Cage's 'best' game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
David Cage's best game was the first hour or so of Indigo Prophecy. Too bad about the rest.