Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Zaphod42 posted:

Zeus.... you ARE the father!!!

I feel like a lot of the greek myths come from people running into sticky situations (oh poo poo I cheated on my husband and got pregnant) so they just made poo poo up, back when people were way way more gullible.

No, no, you see, it wasn't our neighbor, it was Zeus! And no, I didn't cheat on you with Zeus, he like, he turned into a swan, okay? And this swan just like attacked me, I didn't see it coming.

Myths That Didn't Happen.txt

It was also a really easy way for someone in a position of power to justify it by saying they were somehow descended from the the gods. Hell sometimes entire city-states/countries would do this to make themselves look cooler - like Sparta claiming their first king was a son of Zeus or Rome saying they were all descendents of Mars (or sometimes Hercules).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Tunicate posted:

One of my friends is doing his thesis on mobile phone sales online. He found several phones that were sold on eBay for thousands of dollars and were skewing his data analysis, so he messaged their sellers.

One seller responded.

I know it's a joke, but it seems to be enough to get the DEA knocking on his door. :(

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I remember hearing the same sort of story about Craigslist and absurdly high priced pencil sharpeners with various details in code referring to child trafficking. I couldn't find it on snopes or any articles within a few pages of a google search, so hopefully that just means it was just some chan joke

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Sentient Data posted:

I remember hearing the same sort of story about Craigslist and absurdly high priced pencil sharpeners with various details in code referring to child trafficking. I couldn't find it on snopes or any articles within a few pages of a google search, so hopefully that just means it was just some chan joke

I hope so :(

Reminds me of this, which I want to be STH so bad:

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.

Kimmalah posted:

It was also a really easy way for someone in a position of power to justify it by saying they were somehow descended from the the gods. Hell sometimes entire city-states/countries would do this to make themselves look cooler - like Sparta claiming their first king was a son of Zeus or Rome saying they were all descendents of Mars (or sometimes Hercules).

It works the other way round too, like claiming that other peoples were descended from outcasts/murderers/cursed family members/adulterers/etc and therefore it's Good and Right to slaughter every single one of them.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

People who post really high-priced items for sale might also be scam-baiting; the high price ensures they deal mostly with 419 scammers and others who don't really care about the product so much as making contact.

patb01
Jul 4, 2008

walrusman posted:

People who post really high-priced items for sale might also be scam-baiting; the high price ensures they deal mostly with 419 scammers and others who don't really care about the product so much as making contact.

Sounds more like he's selling the sig but since Craigslist has a no guns policy they're trying to be slick by phrasing it like they'er selling the movie and the gun is just there.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Right, but that's clearly not what was happening with the iPhone. I tried to look up some numbers because $3400 seemed really cheap for 4oz of cocaine, but it turns out that's actually about right depending on quality and location. :shobon:

Pipistrelle
Jun 18, 2011

Seems the high horse is taking them all home

Tunicate posted:

One of my friends is doing his thesis on mobile phone sales online. He found several phones that were sold on eBay for thousands of dollars and were skewing his data analysis, so he messaged their sellers.

One seller responded.

Something kind of like this happened to a friend of mine. I don't remember the specifics, but he sold an iPhone on eBay and the bidding was going pretty normally until the end when someone bid something ridiculous like $2000. He then got a message from the person who bid the $2000 that said that he hadn't meant to bid that high, but would he still like to sell it to him for a much lower price? My friend told him to gently caress off.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Pipistrelle posted:

Something kind of like this happened to a friend of mine. I don't remember the specifics, but he sold an iPhone on eBay and the bidding was going pretty normally until the end when someone bid something ridiculous like $2000. He then got a message from the person who bid the $2000 that said that he hadn't meant to bid that high, but would he still like to sell it to him for a much lower price? My friend told him to gently caress off.

Does eBay in any way penalize people who pull that poo poo or is the only real option leaving negative feedback?

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Pipistrelle posted:

Wouldn't more than person have to have bid that high for this to happen?

mamelon
Oct 9, 2010

by Lowtax

ibntumart posted:

Does eBay in any way penalize people who pull that poo poo or is the only real option leaving negative feedback?

I posted an auction once where the winning bidder straight up didn't pay. First sent a message where I gave the benefit of the doubt, saying stuff like "i understand if you changed your mind, or if you had some emergency finance situation, just let me know."

I got zero response so I went through the official claim channels just to make the issue known to ebay. The buyer ignored that too. There's a deadline by which they're asked to respond/agree to pay/whatever, and afterwards the only outcome was that I was relieved of any responsibility. Fine, cool, but I still have an unsold item and the lack of closure from a buyer who couldn't even muster the energy to communicate. The lovely part after all of this? Their personal feedback history was set to private, so no one has any way of knowing if they've ever flaked on paying. I'm... still bitter.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I hope they at least throw in the DVD as well.

BananaForDonny
Dec 27, 2011

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

mamelon posted:

I posted an auction once where the winning bidder straight up didn't pay. First sent a message where I gave the benefit of the doubt, saying stuff like "i understand if you changed your mind, or if you had some emergency finance situation, just let me know."

I got zero response so I went through the official claim channels just to make the issue known to ebay. The buyer ignored that too. There's a deadline by which they're asked to respond/agree to pay/whatever, and afterwards the only outcome was that I was relieved of any responsibility. Fine, cool, but I still have an unsold item and the lack of closure from a buyer who couldn't even muster the energy to communicate. The lovely part after all of this? Their personal feedback history was set to private, so no one has any way of knowing if they've ever flaked on paying. I'm... still bitter.

I assume people are automatically suspicious of anyone who hides feedback history

mamelon
Oct 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Lesson learned, then. You can tell my story is sth because I can't provide any cool sound bytes and there's no satisfying ending.

Pipistrelle
Jun 18, 2011

Seems the high horse is taking them all home

ibntumart posted:

I'm not sure, I know that he ended up setting more limits on who could bid on his stuff, like the bidder had to be located in the US and a couple other things. I don't use eBay myself so I don't really know how it works.

Armacham posted:

Wouldn't more than person have to have bid that high for this to happen?

They may have, like I said I don't know the specifics, just that he was pretty pissed because he wasted so much time on that bid.

monny
Oct 20, 2008

dollar dollar bill, y'all

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

I don't even get it. Like this guy has to be making a joke but what the gently caress is the point?

monny
Oct 20, 2008

Testekill posted:

I don't even get it. Like this guy has to be making a joke but what the gently caress is the point?

He's riffing on this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5QJ9i_o5vo

I just had a total :catstare: response to 'dead in the eye' and magical high-fives.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Testekill posted:

I don't get it at all. The hero is working the bar, queue is four people, and then some guys come in yelling about drinks annoying everyone. Then one of the earlier people in the line called the bartender "chief" and asked for a couple drinks, which I assume was because he was next in line, and the barman called him "chief" and said "not now"? Then they high-fived each other? :psyduck:

Oh...

monny
Oct 20, 2008

Sorry, I thought that video had done the rounds many times over :shobon:

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
STDH: This warning following through on its promise

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!
Found some STDH over at Kotaku UK

quote:

I worked briefly in Argos. We were briefed heavily about what we could and could not sell, how much of a fine the company and ourselves would get if we sold kids an 18 rated game and what to do if you suspected an adult was buying one for a child. It only really came up once during my brief tenure. A woman with her son, whom I would estimate to be about 7 or 8 came to the desk. Handed me her little slip with the catalogue number on it. Grand Theft Auto Vice City Stories for the psp. The boy was holding his psp. I told her the name of the game. She said 'yes thats the one'. I said "Madam, are you aware this is an 18 rated game?". She said "Yes, but he's been good."

At this point I sighed and pinched the bridge of my nose.
"I'm sorry madam but I am afraid I cannot sell you this title."

"What?" she started, angry and confused "Why not?!"
"Because it is an 18 rated title and you have indicated to me you are buying it for your son here, who is clearly not 18, so by company policy and quite frankly *the law* I am unable to sell it to you."
"That's ridiculous! It's just a video game! I'm over 18!"
I reached behind me to where the psp games were, thankfully, hanging.
"A PSP game that contains..." and I point to the back of the box "'excessive violent content including gore, sexual content, sexual violence, violence towards animals, torture, drug use, excessive swearing, promotion of criminal activity..." I looked up and she was agape, just staring at me. "Madam this is a game where your son can pick up a prostitute, pay money to have sex with her in his stolen car, then beat her to death with a baseball bat to get the money back."
"I didn't know they made games like that!"
"I'm sorry madam but what did you think the 18 rating meant?"
She stared at her son for a moment. The boy looked up at her, a confused look on his face. I don't think he knew what most of what I was saying meant. He probably just wanted the game because his friends said it was cool.
"Madam if you still want the game you can go across the road to gamestation and try there. Maybe they'll be able to sell it to you."
She left the store. I didn't see if she went to gamestation.

Then everyone clapped and he got married to the woman, that argos employee? Albert Einstein.

seriously though;
Strawman character who sees the light through the story teller's calm, superior reasoning, check.
Extensive use of the term "Madam" (especially in the UK, what the gently caress.), Check.

Almost believable if it wasn't for the fact PSP games are never 'hanging' in ANY store ever. :colbert:

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Then everyone clapped and he got married to the woman, that argos employee? Albert Einstein.

seriously though;
Strawman character who sees the light through the story teller's calm, superior reasoning, check.
Extensive use of the term "Madam" (especially in the UK, what the gently caress.), Check.

Almost believable if it wasn't for the fact PSP games are never 'hanging' in ANY store ever. :colbert:

*pinches bridge of nose like a literal anime character* I am sorry ma'am, I am afraid I cannot sell you this title

For I do not exist

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Why do these lovely salespeople think it's their job to explain things beyond "Company policy" and "law".

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Courtesy of another goon

HonorableTB posted:

Nah, I'm firmly middle class, I just hate people messing with my poo poo. Vandals have tagged my car, my house, and my dog (once) so I set up security cameras and rigged up a non-firing sentry turret to discourage other people. My turret fires blanks, but since it's attached to a motion sensor array that causes it to auto-swivel to a target, it's enough to scare off vandals.

:goonsay:

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Courtesy of another goon

:goonsay:

drat you, I was about to post this.

Pulsedragon
Aug 5, 2013

WaltherFeng posted:

Why do these lovely salespeople think it's their job to explain things beyond "Company policy" and "law".

Because a lot of times when you tell people that, they demand to know what the law is, or what the policy is, exactly.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Is there anytime anyone in :airquote:the media:airquote: mentions GTA they don't slip in something about the ability to gently caress a hooker then BEAT HER UP AND STEAL THE MONEY BACK?!? :eek:

It's even permeating in to stdh.

I wonder how many genuine Hanzo katanas that guy owns.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Dog tagging, the new craze sweeping the nation.

Lowly
Aug 13, 2009

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Dog tagging, the new craze sweeping the nation.

He needs a scarier dog.

Not only that, but I live in a neighborhood that's heavily tagged and people rarely tag anything but businesses or large apartment complexes. My place is right on an alleyway and the opposite wall is always tagged over, but our wall has only been tagged twice ever (and only in the part that is a stone wall, not our wooden fence). Also, both times the owner of the bar across the way painted over the tags for us when they did their wall, so it was barely an issue. I've never seen a car get tagged (except for one artist who paints his own car) and I've definitely never seen a dog get tagged. The palm tree out front of our house did get tagged, which made me sad, but that was a one-off thing.

If this guy is really middle class, he needs to move to a better area. If any of that were true.

CrotchDropJeans
Jan 4, 2015
I've never not lived in urban areas rife with tagging and I have never even heard of a dog getting tagged, although the mental image is hilarious.

BRB gonna tag some middle-class dogs

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

CrotchDropJeans posted:

I've never not lived in urban areas rife with tagging and I have never even heard of a dog getting tagged, although the mental image is hilarious.

BRB gonna tag some middle-class dogs

Watch out for auto turrets filled with three blanks. Hopefully you're the fourth person to try and tag his dog today.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
Is it all just to make a crummy pun about dogtags

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Pulsedragon posted:

Because a lot of times when you tell people that, they demand to know what the law is, or what the policy is, exactly.

No joke, bank teller told me that it was the law that they had to add a monthly fee to checking accounts below 1000 bucks.

WaMu being bought-out by Chase sucked. That's why I swapped banks

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Is it really a thing that a parent can't buy adult media for a child while accompanying that child? 'Cause I went to a poo poo-ton of horror movies with my sisters as a kid.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Das Boo posted:

Is it really a thing that a parent can't buy adult media for a child while accompanying that child? 'Cause I went to a poo poo-ton of horror movies with my sisters as a kid.

This was certainly the case ten years ago or so. It's like buying alcohol for teenagers, essentially. Don't know if anything has changed since then.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Paladinus posted:

This was certainly the case ten years ago or so. It's like buying alcohol for teenagers, essentially. Don't know if anything has changed since then.

I certainly understand something like cigarettes or alcohol, but the media thing seems strange to me. It never came up for me in the 90's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Das Boo posted:

I certainly understand something like cigarettes or alcohol, but the media thing seems strange to me. It never came up for me in the 90's.

I think it happened around early/mid-2000's at least in the area where I lived. I remember being 15, in 2004, I went to a game store after school with some classmates because one of the guys wanted to buy a game with 16 year age limit. We were all shocked when the employee refused to sell it to us. But in the end we go one of the kids who already turned 16 to buy the game.

fish and chips and dip has a new favorite as of 11:39 on Mar 10, 2015

• Locked thread