Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Chill la Chill posted:

Until they FAQ it, that's the rules. Is that an unreasonable position? We know scum y-wings != rebel y-wings. How are we to know the designer's intent for the fires pray?

I think its unreasonable to enforce that position since every difference between scum and rebel y wings has been mentioned in ffg articles without them purposely hiding anything and the fact that they wouldn't design a pilot ability to be 100 % useless right out of the gate that relied on possible future upgrades to take advantage of. A change of that magnitude to a ships core mechanics would mentioned and explained well in advance and they wouldn't just sit on it until someone happened to figure it out

banned from Starbucks fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Mar 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

SpikeMcclane posted:

The point I was making is that the FAQ says you have to have the icon, but it also says that if you have the arc, you always have the icon. To have that design space, they'll also need to change the current rules.
Does it? I'm looking at it right now and it doesn't say that unless I'm looking at an outdated version (Feb 2015). It says they have both the printed icon and arcs but the icon is needed. "When attacking with its primary weapon, a ship with this icon..." I think it may be exclusive since it says the rule is for the ships that have the arc but also the icon. But, I'm actually taking logic this sem so it could be an inclusive case. I might actually bring this up to my prof after the break, thanks. Or if I'm getting my groupings wrong.

And Teflon you are right. It would be a bad decision but like I said, we cannot read minds and intents so I don't like going down that route considering what's "reasonable." Currently, There exists no case that actually has a rear arc secondary weapon. True too. Designers also aren't perfect people and break things all the time without meaning to do so and that's why we have FAQs to resolve the matter.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Mar 8, 2015

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
I can see your point, Chill, but this is a clear oversight and I hope that the community is above this level of rules lawyering. Hopefully we can get a swift ruling from FFG to sort this out.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I do want to see them make a butt cannon though. Something on a small, fast ship that requires good planning and a backwards sense of placement.

And Ya part of why I want them to acknowledge it quickly is so you don't have to have that awkward confrontation with "that guy."

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I don't think it's very 40k to assume that scum Boba's Firespray wouldn't lose its rear arc due to him being part of the faction or that the lack of forward/rear chevs on the pilot cards firepower icon is just an accident.

But then again I'm very new to the game. I'm also not a TO or know anyone in the Xwing scene who knows somebody who has an uncle who works for FFG. I'm just basing this on my gut feeling. :colbert:

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Chill la Chill posted:

I do want to see them make a butt cannon though. Something on a small, fast ship that requires good planning and a backwards sense of placement.

And Ya part of why I want them to acknowledge it quickly is so you don't have to have that awkward confrontation with "that guy."

You can want them to acknowledge it and avoid confrontations with "that guy" without being "that guy". This isn't a situation like in a GW game where there are eight or nine reasonable interpretations of "author's intent" when it comes to a rule.

Also if there's a guy being "that guy" about something this dumb just don't play with "that guy" until he chills the gently caress out.

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
FFG have been pretty quick with the FAQs so we shouldn't have to wait too long in any case.

I bought my brother the core set for his last birthday. He's already started buying scum and villainy. I'm either the best or worst brother in the world.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
I still wish the Slave 1 title made the torpedoes fire from the rear arc :colbert:

Halverine
May 26, 2004

Endsay ookhay
Yeah, this confusion is the reason I changed the anchor in my build to Boba.

I really hope they announce something soon, really seems like an oversight to me.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Hmmm, Boba has exactly the same issue.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I mean, this is the issue, no arrows on the S&V version's attack number:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I'm gonna be really disappointed if the promo Fett isn't fixed by then.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Strobe posted:

You can want them to acknowledge it and avoid confrontations with "that guy" without being "that guy". This isn't a situation like in a GW game where there are eight or nine reasonable interpretations of "author's intent" when it comes to a rule.

Also if there's a guy being "that guy" about something this dumb just don't play with "that guy" until he chills the gently caress out.

He wants clarification for tournament play. That's all. In a tourney you really do have to play, and more importantly rule as a judge, in the letter of the rules.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Yo Chill did you play against/see that Theorist dude yesterday?

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
I just want Dengar as a pilot.

Gotta hunt that bounty, but the bounty's in the hunt.

D-Bombs, D-missiles, you want someone disintegrated, get me integrated.That's Dengar's motto.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

zVxTeflon posted:

Yo Chill did you play against/see that Theorist dude yesterday?

Yeah. He introduced himself as that and asked if I read anything on team covenant or whatever. Bit of an odd dude. Why?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Just curious what he looks like

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Ever watch the Tim and Eric show? He p much looks like doctor Bruhle. He told me he was glad I played fat han cuz he was telling people it was still good or something. He did well with a dual outrider list too.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Oh, I see he's already uploaded a tournament report.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

Chill la Chill posted:

Ever watch the Tim and Eric show? He p much looks like doctor Bruhle. He told me he was glad I played fat han cuz he was telling people it was still good or something. He did well with a dual outrider list too.

Dual outrider list? The Outrider title is a unique, he shouldn't be able to field two without houseruling.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Cobbsprite posted:

Dual outrider list? The Outrider title is a unique, he shouldn't be able to field two without houseruling.

I'm sure he just means dual 2400s, not both with Outrider.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Yeah, I forget the model number for the copycat Han who just tries too hard. Leebo's cool though.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Chill la Chill posted:

Yeah, I forget the model number for the copycat Han who just tries too hard. Leebo's cool though.

But he has a beard and a jetpack and his sidekick is a alien robot so hes totally a dif character

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
The scum firespray cards are just an oversight. They'll be errata'd and then we can forget all about it.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Tournament today. Not a store Championship but just a fun one. 7 people showed up.

Lists were 1 scum, dual firesprays, a rebel running lando and Leebo, two devestator/Soontir Combos, one devestator with two interceptors, one with dual phantoms and mauler mithel. I ran Dash, Tycho and a Bandit.

I got a round 1 by. And lost the other two 100-0.

So, I need a new list I think.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
I'm looking forward to the reprint of the Interceptor. I need a couple more to run a list of 5x Interceptors with Autothrusters. Fragile, but FUN.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.
So, here's my dilemma:

I had some fun with this list:

IG88-B (50)
Aggressor (36), Predator (3), Advanced Sensors (3), “Mangler” Cannon (4), Feedback Array (2), IG-2000 (0), Autothrusters (2)

IG88-C (50)
Aggressor (36), Predator (3), Advanced Sensors (3), “Mangler” Cannon (4), Feedback Array (2), IG-2000 (0), Autothrusters (2)

I need to buy another Defender to get that second Predator, though. I think I may want to swap to PTL for the EPT, though. What do you all think?

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
I find myself using the Koigrans/loops often enough when using the IGs that I doubt I would get much use out of PtL. Although I generally don't like PTL on ships that don't have hard green turns anyway.

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

I think there's promise with PTL Agressors using Advanced Sensors.

Halverine
May 26, 2004

Endsay ookhay

Tekopo posted:

Hmmm, Boba has exactly the same issue.

Yes but his skill doesn't expressly rely on firing through the auxiliary arc like Kath's.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Cobbsprite posted:

I'm looking forward to the reprint of the Interceptor. I need a couple more to run a list of 5x Interceptors with Autothrusters. Fragile, but FUN.

Cobbsprite, you in the US? I'll gladly ship you one for $10 + S&H.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Halverine posted:

Yes but his skill doesn't expressly rely on firing through the auxiliary arc like Kath's.
You are telling me you would fly a Firespray without a backward firing arc? :v:

Edit: to make it clear, this is only in relation to 'i now fly Boba instead of Kath because of this issue with the card'

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

I am struggling with Feedback Array, how on earth are you intended to use this card? Taking a damage and taking an ion token to do 1 damage to something seems like way too big a downside.

Has anyone tried putting together anything with more than 1 Starviper? I initially wrote the card off, but after playing against one that just had outmaneuver it proved scarily effective because of the s-loops. They seem just a little too expensive to have more than 1 though.

(this is just for casual games though, so I am not playing against phantoms, fat han etc.)

Halverine
May 26, 2004

Endsay ookhay

Tekopo posted:

You are telling me you would fly a Firespray without a backward firing arc? :v:

Edit: to make it clear, this is only in relation to 'i now fly Boba instead of Kath because of this issue with the card'

I was talking about my theoretical list last page which I haven't flown yet. When I was making it, I noticed that the Scum Firespray pilot cards indicated they can't fire their primary from their rear arc and decided Kath's ability made her useless unless some magic new upgrade comes out later or I had missed something. So I chose Boba instead to be the anchor.

After the discussion in this thread I became convinced that this was a FFG error and will be fixed in a FAQ. My post was meant as "Oh, this might be a mixup and Kath's ability isn't totally borked? I'll probably swap her into the list I haven't tried yet instead of Boba".

Edit: I only play casually at the moment so yes, when I thought FFG had changed the rules I was prepared to fly Scum Boba without the rear-firing primary.

Halverine fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Mar 9, 2015

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Phrosphor posted:

I am struggling with Feedback Array, how on earth are you intended to use this card? Taking a damage and taking an ion token to do 1 damage to something seems like way too big a downside.

Its uses are pretty limited. Basically its a phantom snare on a bunch of cheap Zs or a budget Vader

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

zVxTeflon posted:

Its uses are pretty limited. Basically its a phantom snare on a bunch of cheap Zs or a budget Vader

I was worried I was missing some really obvious combo or something, but it is kind of a sacrificial lamb thing like I assumed. Cheers.

Another quick question, Scum can use the Moldy Crow title right? It isn't restricted to rebels only so assume that is the case.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Phrosphor posted:

Another quick question, Scum can use the Moldy Crow title right?

yup

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

zVxTeflon posted:

In my experience, Zs are actually in that sweet spot of 2 shields, 2 hull that it's incredibly often to get 3 damage on them. Mostly because 3 attack also happens to be the sweet spot for non-over costed weapons. So while its uses are limited, it could actually be used more often than you'd think and not waste any additional hull points. At that point, though, it may just be better to get them to waste another attack on it and use dead man's switch instead.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Halverine posted:

I was talking about my theoretical list last page which I haven't flown yet. When I was making it, I noticed that the Scum Firespray pilot cards indicated they can't fire their primary from their rear arc and decided Kath's ability made her useless unless some magic new upgrade comes out later or I had missed something. So I chose Boba instead to be the anchor.

After the discussion in this thread I became convinced that this was a FFG error and will be fixed in a FAQ. My post was meant as "Oh, this might be a mixup and Kath's ability isn't totally borked? I'll probably swap her into the list I haven't tried yet instead of Boba".

Edit: I only play casually at the moment so yes, when I thought FFG had changed the rules I was prepared to fly Scum Boba without the rear-firing primary.

I have the Fire Spray for Imperials from when they first came out. It does not have the little arrows indicating front and back firing arcs, but it was still really, really obvious that they could fire from both. Also, my YT-1300 i got when it first came out doesn't have the circular arrow to show a 360 firing arc, but no one has ever thought they couldn;t use the 360 firing arc.

If I EVER played a game with someone who was a little bitch about this, I'd just stop play and leave. Seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

enigmahfc posted:

If I EVER played a game with someone who was a little bitch about this, I'd just stop play and leave. Seriously.

It's not about what you'd do in a friendly game, it's about removing ambiguity from tournament play and FFG having poor editing. :rolleyes:

The Imperial Firespray pilot cards all have the auxiliary fire arc icon on them. Per the rules FAQ, you need the icon on your pilot card to fire your primary out of your auxiliary arc. Imperial Firespray pilots have the icon and can do this. Scum Firespray pilots do not have the icon and so currently, per the rules as they exist for the game, cannot actually fire their primary out of their auxiliary arc.

The only place this matters is tournament games, and this will no doubt be cleared up by a FAQ update pretty soon, but the issue remains that it's a dumb mistake. No one in their right mind would think Scum Firesprays aren't meant to be able to fire their primary out of their auxiliary arc and no one is arguing that they shouldn't be, either.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Mar 9, 2015

• Locked thread