Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Oh good let's put the matchup of two Abzan decks on camera instead of any of the actually interesting matches going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
magic has so much diversity

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Lancelot posted:

magic has so much diversity

Sleeves vs. no sleeves is pretty diverse.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

an_mutt posted:

Any goon trip reports from GP Liverpool? I did horrible in the main event, but did well enough in side events that I picked up more bits for my Modern deck - which I proceeded to pilot well enough to win a draft set of Shards block. Anyone else there who did cool poo poo over the GP weekend?

Trip Report- First ever Sealed REL event and the time to make the deck goes really fast! Hastily constructed a reasonably okay abzan deck with tasigur and a lot of warriors and a chief of the scales. Looking back, my red was way stronger than I thought and I should have probably gone jund.

Went to time 2 games out of the 6 I played, going 3-2-1 and drop for side events, the dream died pretty quickly when I realized I was packing like 3 removal spells in the deck (1 abzan charm, 1 harsh sustenance and 1 deb injury) and the stalemates generally ended when their bomb turned up (My rares in my pool was tasigur, trap essence, monastery siege, temporal trespass, trail of mystery and something else not in my colours) and I didn't have a answer to it.

Later on played 2 chaos drafts, both polar opposites to each other, the first one I won with an absolute pile of cards featuring skullclamp (thank you darksteel pack) and proceeded to use the 160 prize points on 16 khans boosters which I will keep for later. £13 for a draft and 16 packs, not bad.

The second chaos draft I had to drop after drafting because I suddenly realized my channel fireball bag got stolen in between drafts :negative: went to lost and found and they didn't have it and it pretty much ruined my weekend. No GP promo now :/ Managed to get the CFB tokens off a friend as a gesture of kindness though, which was nice of them.

Sunday morning I went to the vendors and finished off my Kangee foil EDH deck and my Maelstrom Wanderer EDH deck and then proceeded to get home before the rush, got home a few hours later. Overall the experience was great but definitely stained by some absolute assholes, both playing against and the ones who stole my stuff.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Count Bleck posted:

Literally what Formidable is as a mechanic, win more as gently caress and ferocious is better.

Edit: The entire mechanic feels like it was thrown in at the last second, there are almost no situations where you as a player will have 8 power on the board and you aren't winning. It's bothering me to no end that this is what Temur gets as their new mechanic, it's about as unexciting and situational as Naya's 'mechanic' from shards.

At least Fericous has Stubborn Denial and Crater's Claws, and Wild Slash.

I think it's actually worse than the Naya "mechanic", or the more recent Ferocious. At least those affect your deckbuilding choices in a meaningful way, e.g. Ferocious wants you to get out a single 4-power creature asap, which otherwise wouldn't be something you'd make a priority and which encourages you to give extra weight to creatures with exactly 4 power while deckbuilding. Formidable just says "Yeah, your RG deck should be playing creatures, having more total power is good I guess but it doesn't matter how it's distributed". But my RG decks always want to have lots of creature power on the table; how does Formidable change that at all?

JerryLee posted:

And yes, a lot of the mechanics lately are seeming :effort: and I'm pretty sure this is exactly the problem with trying to have 10 new keywords/ability words per block, but I'm not holding my breath for it to change soon.

Agreed. It also feels like the most :effort: mechanics tend to be ability words (or keywords-that-are-basically-ability words). If I tell you a card has flying, or delve, or bushido 1, then you understand what the card does. But if I tell you that a card has formidable, or tribute, or inspired, then you still don't really know what the card does. It's a lot easier to come up with printable ability words than printable keywords because the looser mechanical connection makes them easier to staple onto whatever cards you want, so when they start scraping the bottom of the barrel to pad a set's mechanic count, ability words are usually what ends up being phoned in.

MySwan
Jan 7, 2015
Sorin, Ugin and Narset go back to Zendikar, banish the Eldrazi, random block, a few random blocks later, somebody kicks out the Phyrexians from Mirroden. Few more random blocks, Phyrexian Eldrazi come out of no where, calling right here.

Is anyone else worried we're going to hit the anime-esque matryoshka doll villains singularity, where there's always someone else bigger?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

JerryLee posted:

One of the best things about the new block structure is they can do RtZ and still do two new settings in the same year. For me, the two previous Return blocks (not counting Time Spiral, obviously) had the problem that while it was neat to take a peek back at them, it wasn't "I'm happy to have nothing fresh and new for an entire year" levels of neat.

Come to think of it, in the past even the settings that seemed really cool in September had often more than worn out their welcomes by May. Innistrad and Theros, I'm looking at you. Zendikar and Tarkir did it a little bit better by seriously changing things up on the plane in some fashion.

i feel like New Phyrexia was a pretty big shake-up but i am biased because that was the block i started playing so i was not used to the whole third act fucks up the plane that wizards had been doing for a while

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Are either of the two Mono-Red lists the Boss Sligh/Akroan Crusader type or the slightly slower versions with Mardu Scout and Outpost Siege?

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

MySwan posted:

Sorin, Ugin and Narset go back to Zendikar, banish the Eldrazi, random block, a few random blocks later, somebody kicks out the Phyrexians from Mirroden. Few more random blocks, Phyrexian Eldrazi come out of no where, calling right here.

Is anyone else worried we're going to hit the anime-esque matryoshka doll villains singularity, where there's always someone else bigger?

Not really now they've limited the power of planeswalkers post-Mending. Having characters that are not all-powerful means it's relatively easy to come up with new villains that aren't increasingly more powerful than the ones before.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

bhsman posted:

Are either of the two Mono-Red lists the Boss Sligh/Akroan Crusader type or the slightly slower versions with Mardu Scout and Outpost Siege?

One of them was on stream earlier and he definitely wasn't playing the version with Crusaders and Auras. It was Firedrinker, Foundry Street, Rabblemasters, Mardu Scout, burn spells, etc. Did not see any Outpost Sieges. Basically your straight-forward Mono-R.

Also saw him win through an Anger of the Gods.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

bhsman posted:

Decklists are here: http://magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/gpmia15/top-8-decklists-2015-03-08

No Outpost Sieges but Heelcutters and Scouts in both lists.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

qbert posted:

One of them was on stream earlier and he definitely wasn't playing the version with Crusaders and Auras. It was Firedrinker, Foundry Street, Rabblemasters, Mardu Scout, burn spells, etc. Did not see any Outpost Sieges. Basically your straight-forward Mono-R.

Also saw him win through an Anger of the Gods.

Lancelot posted:

Decklists are here: http://magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/gpmia15/top-8-decklists-2015-03-08

No Outpost Sieges but Heelcutters and Scouts in both lists.

Heelcutter? I'm intrigued already.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

bhsman posted:

Heelcutter did so much work on stream against a defensive Knuckleblade.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Having played something very similar to the top list today I think Heelcutter is actually pretty incredible in the current metagame. It's good against midrange because it blanks the big creature they're hoping to ride to victory, and it's good against control because it makes their sorcery speed wraths highly awkward (and does a good job of harassing their Planeswalkers). It only gets better post-board when they bring in their sorcery speed mini-wraths.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

bhsman posted:

Yeah. There are more Heelcutters in the top 8 (4) than Islands (0).

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

qbert posted:

Heelcutter did so much work on stream against a defensive Knuckleblade.

Nice.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Having played something very similar to the top list today I think Heelcutter is actually pretty incredible in the current metagame. It's good against midrange because it blanks the big creature they're hoping to ride to victory, and it's good against control because it makes their sorcery speed wraths highly awkward (and does a good job of harassing their Planeswalkers). It only gets better post-board when they bring in their sorcery speed mini-wraths.

Yeah, I've been running one in my Boss Sligh variant. He's a bit redundant compared to all the copies of Hammerhand but he's great for all the reasons you mention.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Lancelot posted:

Yeah. There are more Heelcutters in the top 8 (4) than Islands (0).

but G/W gains a lot of life, it's the worst Standard of all-time if you play red!!!

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Turns out what we needed all along was a pair of common goblins with the Dash mechanic.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Niton posted:

New(?) spoiler from SCG, weird as hell card:

This will go great in my Extinction of the Dinosaurs EDH deck

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

rabidsquid posted:

but G/W gains a lot of life, it's the worst Standard of all-time if you play red!!!

Honestly I may be a little worried about G/W Devotion at this point, though I have yet to play against it.

Turns out what we needed all along was a pair of common goblins with the Dash mechanic.

Eh, I actually don't like Mardu Scout that much. Something like Lightning Berserker is what I preferred back when Fate Reforged was being previewed, so the fact that they actually printed it is great. Zurgo, too.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It's not good in Heroic/Pump spells deck, but it does work in the Creatures/Burn lists like the ones in that top 8. You can drop it normally and have it deal a good amount of damage by killing each blocker as they play it, or have it as a reusable burn spell against decks that are hanging back and trying to cast a wrath for value.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

It's not good in Heroic/Pump spells deck, but it does work in the Creatures/Burn lists like the ones in that top 8. You can drop it normally and have it deal a good amount of damage by killing each blocker as they play it, or have it as a reusable burn spell against decks that are hanging back and trying to cast a wrath for value.

No, I get all that, but I still don't like the card. Would have preferred a 1RR cost/RR Dash for a 3/2 instead. :shrug: That 1 toughness means Mystics and a single Raise the Alarm/Mardu Charm token really devalue him.

EDIT: Oh, awesome, both red decks are out of the top 4 and we didn't see a single one on camera. :(

bhsman fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Mar 8, 2015

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
Oh gosh, two G/W devotion decks in the top 4. If we have a 2-hour long mirror match in the finals I'm sure Cedric will go insane.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

I really love dash as mechanic. It is really good for red because it gives the creatures to evade wraths and sorcery speed removal, while also allowing them to remain aggressive.

My list looks a lot like his though. Seeing how much work rabble master put in makes me want to pock up a pair.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Lancelot posted:

Oh gosh, two G/W devotion decks in the top 4. If we have a 2-hour long mirror match in the finals I'm sure Cedric will go insane.

I want them to follow through on their threat to just not cover the finals if it's a G/W mirror

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

bhsman posted:

No, I get all that, but I still don't like the card. Would have preferred a 1RR cost/RR Dash for a 3/2 instead. :shrug: That 1 toughness means Mystics and a single Raise the Alarm/Mardu Charm token really devalue him.
It has issues against tokens and wayfinders, but in this deck your small removal is plentiful and Mystics are generally well worth killing anyway. Also we are getting a cheap 2 toughness dasher in DTK at least.

give head or get dead
Feb 16, 2010

Trip report from gp Liverpool, ended 3-3 then dropped. I had 5 citadel sieges cast against me i should know I was playing onefighting through that card is nigh impossible :suicide: . I even got to experience having siege tapping my torrent elemental down for 6 turns whilst I drew 7 lands in a row during round

Did badly in the three chaos drafts I did and the evening sealed, but pulled some nice cards over the weekend and for my first gp I had a good time!

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

The Abzan player just made a huge misplay not casting Banishing Light on Polukranos and he knows it.

Edit: And then the G/W player doesn't play Whisperwood? What is this game.

Edit 2: G/W Devotion mirror in the finals. Welp.

qbert fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Mar 8, 2015

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Lancelot posted:

Prepare for insanity.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Entropic posted:

Prepare for insanity.
ronpaulitshappening.gif

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Entropic posted:

Prepare for insanity.

This'll be the Magic equivalent of the heat death of the universe, and hopefully the latter slows down so we can see the end of this match first.

EDIT: Cedric's ready :lol:

bhsman fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Mar 8, 2015

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

qbert posted:

The Abzan player just made a huge misplay not casting Banishing Light on Polukranos and he knows it.

Edit: And then the G/W player doesn't play Whisperwood? What is this game.

Edit 2: G/W Devotion mirror in the finals. Welp.

It's not a Legacy Miracles mirror, but it'll do in a pinch.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I look forward to finding out who the big winner is on Tuesday.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

What archetype beats midrange again? I guess it's midrange because it isn't aggro.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

At least one of the devotion players has Temur Sabertooth maindeck. Hopefully he draws it before turn 40.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Congratulations Wizards, the most midrangey deck of all time is the best deck in Standard.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

bhsman posted:

Congratulations Wizards, the most midrangey deck of all time is the best deck in Standard.

But this time thanks to the mana it isn't Jund and Naya for a little bit!

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

rabidsquid posted:

But this time thanks to the mana it isn't Jund and Naya for a little bit!

I think I'd prefer the interaction a little more, but that's me.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Jesus Christ at least run Nylea or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Jesus Christ at least run Nylea or something.

Doesn't support the "grind opponent into literal dust under weight of Manifest tokens" gameplan.

• Locked thread