Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

bobkatt013 posted:

Power Pack, X-factor, and I think her Superman stuff was not to bad.

Wheat Loaf posted:

X-Factor and New Mutants.

Random Stranger posted:

Seriously, Power Pack 1-30ish is a really terrific all-ages book and probably the best work that Simonson has done.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I should say, though, I'm not sure how easy it would be jumping right into Simonson's run on New Mutants without reading at least some of Claremont's stint (the first 54 issues). I'm pretty sure she'd been editing the comic before she took over the writing, so she really picks up where Claremont leaves off (and in the middle of a crossover) rather than making a clean break.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Has Ghost Rider ever tried to penance stare Daredevil or any other blind person?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Travis343 posted:

Has Ghost Rider ever tried to penance stare Daredevil or any other blind person?

It doesn't work on blind people. One of Ghost Rider's villains, Snowblind, was blind without his powers, so he'd switch his powers off whenever he was in danger of receiving a Penance Stare.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Then couldn't a sighted person just close their eyes?

Was there ever a Ghost Rider like that one Green Lantern who's based in sound, that could do a Penance Howl or something like that.

Hire me, Marvel, Im not doing anything right now.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

I should say, though, I'm not sure how easy it would be jumping right into Simonson's run on New Mutants without reading at least some of Claremont's stint (the first 54 issues). I'm pretty sure she'd been editing the comic before she took over the writing, so she really picks up where Claremont leaves off (and in the middle of a crossover) rather than making a clean break.

I figured, but I'm already reading New Mutants so it's all good.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Anyone have any recommendations for long term storage of comics? I have 12 or so long boxes that i haven't looked through in years and the one box i did look through had become home to some spiders. I figure there have to be some better storage options out there that are a bit more air tight.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Also, while I'm at it, what's the best comic cataloging software out there? I tried Collectorz a while back and wasn't super impressed with the interface.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Medullah posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for long term storage of comics? I have 12 or so long boxes that i haven't looked through in years and the one box i did look through had become home to some spiders. I figure there have to be some better storage options out there that are a bit more air tight.

Everything bagged and boarded? If you're not going to touch it any time soon seal off every seam with heavy duty packing/shipping tape.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Medullah posted:

Also, while I'm at it, what's the best comic cataloging software out there? I tried Collectorz a while back and wasn't super impressed with the interface.

I use Comicbookdb.com to keep track of mine.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Travis343 posted:

Was there ever a Ghost Rider like that one Green Lantern who's based in sound, that could do a Penance Howl or something like that.

Hire me, Marvel, Im not doing anything right now.

The Danny Ketch Ghost Rider got a laugh that worked like the penance stare maybe four issues before the book was canned.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Travis343 posted:

Presumably the Penance Stare is an eye-opening experience. :v:

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

SirDan3k posted:

The Danny Ketch Ghost Rider got a laugh that worked like the penance stare maybe four issues before the book was canned.

drat, that sounds incredibly cool.

I bet it sounds like that creepy guy from Lost Highway.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Travis343 posted:

drat, that sounds incredibly cool.

I bet it sounds like that creepy guy from Lost Highway.

Robert Blake being the creepy guy in a movie where the main character kills his wife feels a little on the nose, even though it was made years before that whole thing.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Ketch was always the best Ghost Rider.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

WickedHate posted:

Ketch was always the best Ghost Rider.

Ehhhh, Aaron's run on GR with Blaze repositioned him at the top for me.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Rhyno posted:

Ehhhh, Aaron's run on GR with Blaze repositioned him at the top for me.

Someone could give Ketch just as awesome a series if they ever actually used him anymore. :sigh:

The first issue of the Ketch series is one of the first comics I ever read as a kid.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

WickedHate posted:

Someone could give Ketch just as awesome a series if they ever actually used him anymore. :sigh:

The first issue of the Ketch series is one of the first comics I ever read as a kid.

I think everyone has forgotten that Danny still has powers by now. Let's face it, if they ever do another film it's gonna be Blaze. It's always gonna be Blaze.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Rhyno posted:

I think everyone has forgotten that Danny still has powers by now. Let's face it, if they ever do another film it's gonna be Blaze. It's always gonna be Blaze.

Hey, when Danny Ketch turned out to be the name of that kid in Spirit of Vengence, I had hope!

I actually liked those movies...

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Aaron really shat all over Danny in his run, too.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
Here's a question about the forum itself: the thread about bad comic runs permanently closed? I wanted to bring up Mark Millar's Fantastic Four run, but I can't post in it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It fell into the Archives, which means its off the live forums.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Cornwind Evil posted:

Here's a question about the forum itself: the thread about bad comic runs permanently closed? I wanted to bring up Mark Millar's Fantastic Four run, but I can't post in it.

Start a new thread. Shame to hear Millar's FF run wasn't good. His run on Ultimate FF was decent if you could get past the Greg Land art (admittedly a pretty big "if").

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Millar's run on Fantastic Four was fine. And is one of the very few Millar written books I actually liked. I normally can't stand his stuff.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I'd certainly laud Millar's run for not dipping into the usual issue of being a greatest hits remix like most runs of FF, but at the same time everything else about it was really bad.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Death of the Invisible Woman and Masters of Doom were pretty good arcs. Nu Earth, and Valeria having Reed levels of intelligence were both ideas that carried on into Hickman's run. Hitch was on point with his art, and the scripts were fairly entertaining, so I don't see what the problem is besides it being a Mark Millar Fantastic Four book.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Die Laughing posted:

Death of the Invisible Woman and Masters of Doom were pretty good arcs. Nu Earth, and Valeria having Reed levels of intelligence were both ideas that carried on into Hickman's run. Hitch was on point with his art, and the scripts were fairly entertaining, so I don't see what the problem is besides it being a Mark Millar Fantastic Four book.

It's the Masters of Doom arc; it reads like exceptionally bad fanfiction. Yes, one can argue that a lot of things of various degrees of popularity, especially comics, but Masters of Doom, to me, read more like bad fanfiction than a lot of things, to a greater degree.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I can see that. It probably helped that I was also reading 1985, so the titular Masters of Doom weren't coming out of nowhere. Poor 1985, always the forgotten book because it doesn't star any major characters or have gratuitous violence.

The Millar/Hitch FF also had some nice covers. It was a nice attempt at trying to remind people why Fantastic Four was once called "The Worlds Greatest Comic Magazine!".

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I just caught up on the last few pages of this thread, and now one thing makes more sense to me, while about 5 things make less sense.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

irlZaphod posted:

I just caught up on the last few pages of this thread, and now one thing makes more sense to me, while about 5 things make less sense.

You already knew I was a dick.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Yes, but he believed Guardians of the Galaxy when they said that no one is 100% a dick.

EDIT: I know Rhyno is going to have some story soon about how he built a house for the homeless out of 90's Image books, but I'm going to take my shots when I can.

Open Marriage Night fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Mar 9, 2015

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Die Laughing posted:

Yes, but he believed Guardians of the Galaxy when they said that no one is 100% a dick.

Hey, are you gonna doubt the judgement of John C Reilly?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I got shorted Avengers World 16 and on the off chance the comic shop doesn't have any next time I'm there where's a good place to check for it? I tried midtowncomics and they're sold out. Amazon has some but 3.99 shipping is ridiculous.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Die Laughing posted:

EDIT: I know Rhyno is going to have some story soon about how he built a house for the homeless out of 90's Image books, but I'm going to take my shots when I can.
That wouldn't help his case imo.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

WickedHate posted:

Hey, when Danny Ketch turned out to be the name of that kid in Spirit of Vengence, I had hope!

I actually liked those movies...

Danny Ketch was a paperboy in Marvels, which I still think is pretty cool.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Len posted:

I got shorted Avengers World 16 and on the off chance the comic shop doesn't have any next time I'm there where's a good place to check for it? I tried midtowncomics and they're sold out. Amazon has some but 3.99 shipping is ridiculous.

ComiXology.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Unmature posted:

ComiXology.

Midtown Comics
Mile High Comics
Graham Comics

Those are my go-to places, but shipping is going to be ridiculous no matter where you buy from.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Unmature posted:

ComiXology.

But it would bother me to just not have that issue in the physical spot. :spergin:

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Friend, I was once like you. I was lost. Long boxes stretched as far as the eye can see.

Throw that poo poo on eBay and go all Lawnmower Man with me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Unmature posted:

Friend, I was once like you. I was lost. Long boxes stretched as far as the eye can see.

Throw that poo poo on eBay and go all Lawnmower Man with me.

I started cataloging my books this weekend with the distant hope that SOME of them might be worth more than shipping. Sadly I'm 1000+ in to my mostly 90s collection and it's as i expected mostly worthless. But I'm confident when i get to my Image and Valiant boxes I'll have millions of dollars worth