Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

love on the cheap
Aug 5, 2008

prom candy posted:

Just went to a public skate where everyone was skating clockwise. That's the most left-over-right crossover practice I've ever had.

I always wonder why rinks don't just switch directions every half hour or so. My crossovers are pretty unbalanced because of this still :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wonder_Bread
Dec 21, 2006
Fresh Baked Goodness!

Deadly Intersection posted:

I always wonder why rinks don't just switch directions every half hour or so. My crossovers are pretty unbalanced because of this still :(

Mine does halfway through when they clean the ice (if they do clean the ice).

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The smart move would be to do a giant figure 8, everyone goes down the middle in the same direction and turn towards the boards to go back the other way.

But I guess that would offend the figure skating showoffs who hang out at center ice and twirl about. Growing up I never could figure out why they always bitched at kids in hockey skates for being "too fast" but let the figure skaters do whatever the hell they wanted.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Around here it's almost always hockey players working on hockey stuff in the middle where I skate. Might be part of living in Southern Ontario.

communist kangaroo
Oct 2, 2006

those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, i have koalas.

xzzy posted:

The smart move would be to do a giant figure 8, everyone goes down the middle in the same direction and turn towards the boards to go back the other way.

But I guess that would offend the figure skating showoffs who hang out at center ice and twirl about. Growing up I never could figure out why they always bitched at kids in hockey skates for being "too fast" but let the figure skaters do whatever the hell they wanted.

My money is on it's because the kids going fast are closer to the general skating traffic and present a greater injury risk than the figure skaters at center ice who are generally practicing alone and away from other people to avoid landing on anyone or getting run into

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

xzzy posted:

Lots of people at public skates couldn't let go of the wall to go through the middle.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Brought the GoBro out to drop-in tonight for shits & giggles. Horrible montage to follow. I also learned that I am a huge puck chaser.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

When in Rome, right?

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

prom candy posted:

Just went to a public skate where everyone was skating clockwise. That's the most left-over-right crossover practice I've ever had.

Me and some other dudes tried forcing a reverse after the ice clean earlier in the week during a sparsely populated open skate but of course lil miss 10 year old figure skater and her "trainer" hosed that up after 3-4 laps.

I swear I'm turning into zoolander

Wonder_Bread
Dec 21, 2006
Fresh Baked Goodness!
I loving hate figure skaters during free skate.

I'm also glad my rink only rents cheap strap-on hockey skates versus the typical figure skate, as it keeps the ice in massively better condition during free skate as there aren't two dozen kids kicking divots into the ice with toepicks.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
gently caress yes, played shinny after learn-to-play today and potted a sweet rebound. Got to play on a line with three friends from my old ball hockey team, closest thing I've had to real team play on the ice yet and it was amazing. I started focusing on releasing a bit quicker and not telegraphing my shot and even during the shooting drills I was beating the goalie more often. Getting out and skating 3-4x/week has really been paying off. I'm still struggling with a lot of things (backwards crossovers on my bad leg, front to back transitions on my bad side) but I'm starting to feel pretty confident on my skates.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Oh, to be a kid again. 2015 Minnesota State High School All Hockey Hair Team

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

I was wondering when I saw this: do the kids know this is going to happen? Like do any of them specifically style for this? I'm otherwise somewhat concerned that the kids of 2015 think shaving stripes into the side of their hair a la 1986 is a good look.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I had just assumed this was how everyone in Minnesota styles their hair?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Pinky Artichoke posted:

I'm otherwise somewhat concerned that the kids of 2015 think shaving stripes into the side of their hair a la 1986 is a good look.

Pretty sure Minnesota is just getting that now

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Didn't Patrick Kane do that last year or 2 years ago? I'm sure he is the reason they did that.

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

Pinky Artichoke posted:

I was wondering when I saw this: do the kids know this is going to happen? Like do any of them specifically style for this? I'm otherwise somewhat concerned that the kids of 2015 think shaving stripes into the side of their hair a la 1986 is a good look.

Yes, MN high school kids have been doing this since at least 2000 when I was in school.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Well I've got a few months to the next season starts. Just have to decide on what style to go with. I do wonder how that dude with the fro can get his helmet on.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Pinky Artichoke posted:

I don't mean to be crude but when I was in HS/college, playing hockey, with hair like this I never overachieved higher or more often with women. And I wasn't any good, or nearly as good as these kids.

long story short you're old, i'm old

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

sellouts posted:

I don't mean to be crude but when I was in HS/college, playing hockey, with hair like this I never overachieved higher or more often with women. And I wasn't any good, or nearly as good as these kids.

long story short you're old, i'm old

I'm old, I also grew up in a non-hockey area so I associate that hairstyle with skinny barely-pubescent boys who bag groceries after school.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
hey cool guy at public skate, maybe skating around backwards while staring at your phone isn't the best idea? or are you trying to impress the elderly woman in a bicycle helmet doing swizzles in the middle of the rink?

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

prom candy posted:

hey cool guy at public skate, maybe skating around backwards while staring at your phone isn't the best idea? or are you trying to impress the elderly woman in a bicycle helmet doing swizzles in the middle of the rink?

Well was she impressed?

In other developments, seeing Crosby's GoPro video inspired me to show off my sweet moves I practice in my building's basement. Just disregard the ball rolling off my stick right at the start. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6TB3k-RbNk

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I'm new to playing hockey and I have what will be a few quick questions.

Does anyone have any suggestions for shin split-style pain after skating for a bit? I just ordered a few compression sleeves so see if that helps and I'll do being some toe lifts to help with that.

Secondly, I'm fairly short (5'9", probably just about 5' to chin without shoes) and was wondering if it would be necessarily a bad idea to get an intermediate stick? Even with lower flex seniors, they're pretty stiff once I cut those 5-ish inches off. I'd also like to add I'm pretty stocky/chunky at right around 200lbs, so I'm worried a 60 flex intermediate stick will break in half immediately.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

You'll be fine with an intermediate stick. They make them in "regular" 77 flex, but if you're a beginner I think you're handicapping yourself by not going as soft as possible.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
I'm 6 even and got a warrior 80flex intermediate, I can tell when I'm doing things right because it'll flex a bit, but it's def. not too soft for receiving hard passes. I hope by the time I break it I'll have enough technique to move to a grown-up stick.

Our team got whooped pretty hard by a team that was just better than us this week. I don't mind being beat by a team that is clearly better, but I can't stand people making the same mistakes over and over. I've been playing center on this team and the wingers pinch down and chase pucks so much. There's only 1 person on the team with less experience than me, and when it's brought up to him he acknowledges it and plays his position as well as he can. But the rest of the guys either don't care, don't get it, or just don't wanna hear it from a new player like me?

For example we were playing on our heels the whole game, in the last 6 minutes we let in 5 goals. After the second goal the team gave up, and our goalie who was standing on his head all night just didn't have anything left in the tank to cover for the sever lack of defensive positioning. Each goal they scored, our wingers pinched down more and more, and by the last 30 seconds of the game we had all 5 people in the slot, literally in a 2 yard arc around the paint. The opposing teams center was between the defense-men at the blue line and they were just passing it around completely un-harassed waiting for a shot, which they got, and scored on. I watched all this from the bench and just shook my head.

So when do you guys try and give advice, and when do you just let it go?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

DeNofa posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions for shin split-style pain after skating for a bit? I just ordered a few compression sleeves so see if that helps and I'll do being some toe lifts to help with that.

The first thing to try is don't lace as tightly, especially the eyelets on top of the foot. Skates don't really need to be vice grip tight. Lace em as loose as you can for a skate and see if it helps, then slowly experiment with tightening until it returns or you find a sweet spot.

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Chemmy posted:

You'll be fine with an intermediate stick. They make them in "regular" 77 flex, but if you're a beginner I think you're handicapping yourself by not going as soft as possible.

xzzy posted:

The first thing to try is don't lace as tightly, especially the eyelets on top of the foot. Skates don't really need to be vice grip tight. Lace em as loose as you can for a skate and see if it helps, then slowly experiment with tightening until it returns or you find a sweet spot.

Thanks for tips, guys. I'll pick up a whippy, little kid stick next time I'm out, and will try less of a vice grip at the top of my skates.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Nitramster posted:

So when do you guys try and give advice, and when do you just let it go?

Let it go. Guys aren't playing beer league to improve their game. On some level, they know they're making bad plays, they just don't care.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

DeNofa posted:

Thanks for tips, guys. I'll pick up a whippy, little kid stick next time I'm out, and will try less of a vice grip at the top of my skates.
I know a few guys who are 5'7"-5'10" and they play with intermediates sticks. No issues with them breaking any more often than senior sticks. I would say the only big difference for me is that the stick feels thinner. For someone that is new, this may not bother you.

Also, any opinions on http://www.allblackhockeysticks.com/ ?

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

A few guys here have them. I got one, it has held up pretty well to C-B level hockey. They have the necessary curve selection, and the shipping was handled fine. No complaints really, if there's no sale going on and you want a good stick, you can do much worse more often.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

DeNofa posted:

I'm new to playing hockey and I have what will be a few quick questions.

Secondly, I'm fairly short (5'9", probably just about 5' to chin without shoes) and was wondering if it would be necessarily a bad idea to get an intermediate stick? Even with lower flex seniors, they're pretty stiff once I cut those 5-ish inches off. I'd also like to add I'm pretty stocky/chunky at right around 200lbs, so I'm worried a 60 flex intermediate stick will break in half immediately.

I use compression sleeves for running because of my incredibly crampy calves and shin splints and they work wonderfully. How often are you playing? I never got shin splints playing hockey, but when I was getting them, I had been pushing my weekly running mileage up too quickly. When I backed off a bit, they eventually went away in a month or so.

I am 5'9" as well, and 185lbs. I use a 62 flex intermediate stick and love it. I get $10 off senior prices and I don't have to cut any length off. Like you, my only senior stick ended up being like 100+ flex after I cut it down from it's original 87. I use nothing but intermediate now and love it.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Mar 10, 2015

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

My Silver team played in the semi-finals last night against an insanely evenly matched team. It was probably one of the best games we've ever played and a ton of fun. It was back and forth the whole game, but we ended up winning 6-5 to put us into the championship next Monday.

At one point, I was battling on the boards and both of us went down and somehow one of my gloves flew off. I kept playing without it and ended up getting a breakaway. When I went to shoot, the loving stick slipped through my lower hand. I had to shoot again and stuffed it right into his kickers. Oops.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Mar 10, 2015

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

2 all black hockey sticks snapped this season already on my team. One in 3 games. No one is reordering.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
This Kickstarted home skate sharpener seems pretty nifty. I figure at my rate of sharpening, it would only take a few years to pay for itself. Less so if I split the cost with a few hockey buds.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I'm a little concerned with how quickly that grinding ring seems to wear out and I'm not sure I trust the ability to fix problem blades or dress the wheel correctly.

I also don't know why they recommend 5/8 when 1/2 is standard everywhere I've got skates sharpened. That being said please order one so if they actually ship a working unit I can pick one up.

Also Nitra, if your team isn't discussing what happened then don't bother. But at that level lots of teams analyze plays like they're on the loving zapruder film. Seems safe to bring it up then.

Also keep bugging Nick or whoever. Then you can join Tuesday drop in while getting better and also begin to network to join a team that might fit your level of caring better.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I haven't had shin splints in quite a long time and they were mostly from soccer or running. They should go away as you develop those muscles that you probably haven't used. Every recommendation I've been given for shin splints would be rest, stretch, ice, protein and ibuprofen. Your muscles need to recover so usually rest is best. Protein helps repair muscle fibers which is why weight lifters and athletes use it after workouts but its not a big deal if you don't. I remember for soccer we would take a knee and stretch the shins but rather than resting your down leg on the knee and toes, point your toes back and push your shin into the ground.

Some of these seem ridiculous but anything to help I guess.
http://www.runnersworld.com/workouts/4-exercises-to-prevent-shin-splints

Another thing is to make sure your skates aren't too tight, especially on top. Skate tightness is a lot of personal preference so others might feel differently but if your skates are too tight up high, they prevent you from redistributing your weight by limiting the range of motion of your leg. A lot of new skaters have weak ankles and tight skates help keep them stable and prevent wobbles. Unfortunately that doesn't help with hockey where you need to bend forward and get lower. With skates that are tight up high, you have a really difficult time trying to squat. Your skates will prevent your legs from being able to move forward and you will likely fall backwards. You might be subconsciously trying to lean forward and using muscle to push against the tongue in order to lean forward and keep your balance which would wear on your shins/muscles after a while. With a slightly looser top part of the skate, you should be able to bend at the knee with no problem or feeling of falling backwards.

Try tensioning your skates a few different ways, playing with tension at certain points and see how it goes just standing around on a soft surface. I test my skate tightness before every game. If I can't comfortably squat down they are probably too tight. Rarely are they ever too loose but then again I've been skating for years and my ankle strength has been built up over a long period of time and a lot of skating.

If I were to describe my skate from toe to top, 1 being loose and 5 being tight, I would probably say my skates are something like 4 (toes) - 2 (top of the arch and prevents lace bite) - 3 (ankle which keeps my foot from sliding around) - 2 (top laces are just tight enough to be tied without adding any more tension)

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
I'm not like these guys blowing gaskets over poo poo in beer league or anything, it's just kinda mind blowing how dumb people that have played or even watched hockey for a long time can be. I am just trying to focus on myself to get up to copper next season.

And yes, we're trying our best to network with the cool kids and join the club.

Dangerllama posted:

Let it go. Guys aren't playing beer league to improve their game. On some level, they know they're making bad plays, they just don't care.

Yea I'm starting to realize that. It's getting easier to recognize who's trying to improve and who's not (and it seems directly correlated to age)

edit: one more quick point: you would think if you were playing in the lowest (aluminum) you would be trying to improve (except the really old dudes that physically can't), but eh, different strokes.

Nitramster fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Mar 10, 2015

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

30-50 sharpenings isn't that bad for the life of a grinding wheel. Figure this is designed as a home consumer model. The wheel on the Wissota sharpeners last about 200 skates.

The only thing that gets me is Wissota sells their cheapest sharpener at $999, whereas it looks like the full Production version of this will end up being $599. Granted that's $400 cheaper, and you probably don't have to worry about messing it up, but not quite enough to sell me on it. Very cool idea though. I'm sure if it takes off it will only get cheaper too.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Nitramster posted:

Yea I'm starting to realize that. It's getting easier to recognize who's trying to improve and who's not (and it seems directly correlated to age)

That's just your team. Some of the older dudes are the ones who pull me aside and ask me about plays, even in drop in. I can name a few of them in the league above yours. Even when they are a better player than I am, which is flattering. And also depressing because they're old old.

Bad players have tunnel vision. They don't understand the relationship between moving their feet and positioning, and they're so afraid of watching a goal be scored that they think they have to stop it. They have to get used to staying with their person and letting other people handle their poo poo. But to them they see lovely players and think they are better or can help and they're rushing in and oh my god the points are so wide open all game etc etc. It's hard. The disconnect between people seeing a play third person and seeing a play they're involved in (while understanding their physical ability and it's limitations) is super confusing.

Find 2 other people who you like skating with and ask to skate on their line. Get on the same page with them. Don't bother trying to direct the defense, let those guys handle their own poo poo and they change independently anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
Just bought 2 ABHS sticks. I play D-C level mostly so I'll report back on how they do.