Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

TG-Chrono posted:

"Queensland's new minister for women says the state government should consider "positive discrimination" legislation to close the gender pay gap, which was at a 10-year high."

No Queensland! Go back to your roots, women in the kitchen, aboriginals on reservations and sugar cane as far as the eye can see! Stop this positive progressive crap, it's confusing.

Hell yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Mithranderp posted:

I liked it better when it said "white australians".

The White Australian policy ended in '73 mate.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Can't wait for the ISIS death cult caliphate to legalise gay marriage before Australia does

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

cpaf posted:

Can't wait for the ISIS death cult caliphate to legalise gay marriage before Australia does

better female representation % rates in the ranks of suicide bombers than the Cabinet, Madam Speaker!

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Goodpart posted:

Instead of digging in and doubling down until the report is released you could, you know, actually engage with the question.

If your only way to defend your position is to deride the questions, then you probably don't have any meaningful answers.
Meaningful answers are kind of wasted effort here when your audience are the equivalent of masturbating monkeys throwing their own poo poo at the zoo.

You get the same funny show regardless of what you say when it doesn't line up with the mob. So why put in any effort?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Who guessed puppet master? Someone should really start organising prizes.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Well it was basically obfuscation with some ad homenim for taste so I get B/ Crossed off my bingo card on this occasion. The only worthwhile prize would be to stop responding to the gently caress knuckle entirely.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

quarter circle forward punch
rip

Graic Gabtar posted:

why put in any effort?
Because you're putting more effort into putting no effort in than you would if you just answered the loving question

You're on your way to becoming the next AMU if you're keen to keep this up

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Graic Gabtar posted:

Meaningful answers are kind of wasted effort here when your audience are the equivalent of masturbating monkeys throwing their own poo poo at the zoo.

You get the same funny show regardless of what you say when it doesn't line up with the mob. So why put in any effort?

I get satisfaction from knowing that a few effort posts go a long way to helping educate the many lurkers who seem to hang out here. Why don't you get the same satisfaction?

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Goodpart posted:

You're on your way to becoming the next AMU if you're keen to keep this up
I'll probably regret asking but AMU?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

open24hours posted:

Who guessed puppet master? Someone should really start organising prizes.

Poo-pet master.

Edit: "Arguing with people who disagree with me is too difficult :qq:"

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Les Affaires posted:

I get satisfaction from knowing that a few effort posts go a long way to helping educate the many lurkers who seem to hang out here. Why don't you get the same satisfaction?
What are you educating people about? The importance of group think?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

If a lot of people believe the same thing then it must be wrong!

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

Les Affaires posted:

Speaking of did you ever do that write up on how we are all going to get stinking rich when the property bubble pops or did I miss that somehow

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

It gets kinda echo chamber in here and i'm keen to hear genuine discussion of different views and the reasons for them. Half of australia (if you go by the polls) supports the PM, it would probably serve Auspol well if we heard from those who do.

its a hallmark of auspol to tell people to :frogout: and kill yourselves, but it gets pretty circlejerk :circlefap: at times and the floor gets sticky.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Graic Gabtar posted:

What are you educating people about? The importance of group think?

There have been a considerable number of useful posts in this thread and all of its previous incarnations, and a substantial amount of one-time posters whose first post seems to be "yes we read, yes it helps, yes thank you".

Maybe you're right, they're only being thankful for being educated on how an echochamber works.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

hiddenmovement posted:

Speaking of did you ever do that write up on how we are all going to get stinking rich when the property bubble pops or did I miss that somehow

I kept meaning to but injuring my thumb last week after being kicked has kinda made posting hurt moreso than usual.

Huragok
Sep 14, 2011

Kommando posted:

It gets kinda echo chamber in here and i'm keen to hear genuine discussion of different views and the reasons for them. Half of australia (if you go by the polls) supports the PM, it would probably serve Auspol well if we heard from those who do.

its a hallmark of auspol to tell people to :frogout: and kill yourselves, but it gets pretty circlejerk at times and the floor gets sticky.

Generally, the left-right divide is a science/gut-feeling divide (respectively). It's hard to argue against those who argue against the scientific method.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

The auspol thread moves so fast, i feel like i go days without posting because im just reading.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Kommando posted:

its a hallmark of auspol to tell people to :frogout: and kill yourselves, but it gets pretty circlejerk :circlefap: at times and the floor gets sticky.

The trouble is that most of the people who hold those opinions can't defend them very well (because most of their positions aren't very defensible).

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

hiddenmovement posted:

The trouble is that most of the people who hold those opinions can't defend them very well (because most of their positions aren't very defensible).

It's not that their positions aren't defensible, its just that they either haven't gone through the rigour of mounting an adequate defense, or they have but are just uncomfortable in doing so.

When you reach into the deep dark recesses of the soul, it's often not pretty what you find and a lot of people would just prefer to ignore it.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Kommando posted:

I'd be perfectly happy to have genuine conservatives posting in here. People who were prepared to admit their true beliefs, instead of trying to have everything both ways.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Huragok posted:

Generally, the left-right divide is a science/gut-feeling divide (respectively). It's hard to argue against those who argue against the scientific method.

Oh im aware of that. Discussing a topic rationally is wasted on the irrational. But getting an insight into what sort of reasoning, and bent reasoning, and outright bigotry can be enlightening.

I stated before my battletech mate flat out says he doesnt give a poo poo about the reef, doesnt like gays and cares about his standard of living over others.
thats valid reasoning for his position voting LNP.
I have to frame the argument in an economic sense rather than a compassionate or environmental fashion.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

For example, consider the phrase "Stop the Boats". It's very handy, clever shorthand for policy, until you expand it out.

Stop the boats.
Stop the boats from reaching our shores.
Stop the boats from reaching our shores, using whatever means necessary.
Stop the boats from reaching our shores, using whatever means necessary, even if this means the health and safety of the people on board is compromised.
Stop the boats from reaching our shores, using whatever means necessary, even if this means the health and safety of the people on board is compromised, because we haven't considered whether we would like them to live safely and securely.

See how easy it is? Now you try!

Huragok
Sep 14, 2011

Kommando posted:

I have to frame the argument in an economic sense rather than a compassionate or environmental fashion.

Your friend is a psychopath ... and so are half of the Australian electorate. :shrug:

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Kommando posted:

On the rarest of rare occasions though something will divide the echo chamber and glorious chaos ensues as the thread devours its children like so many revolutions.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Kommando posted:

Oh im aware of that. Discussing a topic rationally is wasted on the irrational. But getting an insight into what sort of reasoning, and bent reasoning, and outright bigotry can be enlightening.

I stated before my battletech mate flat out says he doesnt give a poo poo about the reef, doesnt like gays and cares about his standard of living over others.
thats valid reasoning for his position voting LNP.

One of the techniques that can be applied to this sort of rationale is the five (six?) whys. It's an annoying but useful method of teasing out the core belief or motive behind it.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Huragok posted:

Your friend is a psychopath ... and so are half of the Australian electorate. :shrug:

Its rare to have them admit it though.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Huragok posted:

Yes but these people exist, and it's worth presenting a case to them that they will be able to agree with. It's very hard to actually tease out why people believe the things they do, why people support certain positions, and even if that reason is something like "I hate aboriginals" you can work with that, even if it's pointing out that by funding aboriginal social services how much it will benefit them by them having to deal with less aboriginals on the street. You argue to your audience, it doesn't really matter how reprehensible your audience is.

That's why people are trying to understand the reasoning behind fuckhead craig, if you understand the reasoning behind a bad argument you can dismantle it. Then again some people are just huge assholes with no reasoning who can never be swayed because they want to stamp on the faces of other people even if it does come at expense to themselves.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

If you don't want to make them a non-psychopath, you can point to the ways that certain things are economically a bad idea. Like offshore processing is needlessly expensive compared to onshore or community processing, while not acting as a deterrent. You'd have to use the evidence that they required naval intervention to prevent boats from making it to shore. Which reminds me, any good evidence that boats are still coming that we can point to, or is OSB silencing it effectively?

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

hooman posted:

Yes but these people exist, and it's worth presenting a case to them that they will be able to agree with. It's very hard to actually tease out why people believe the things they do, why people support certain positions, and even if that reason is something like "I hate aboriginals" you can work with that, even if it's pointing out that by funding aboriginal social services how much it will benefit them by them having to deal with less aboriginals on the street. You argue to your audience, it doesn't really matter how reprehensible your audience is.

That's why people are trying to understand the reasoning behind fuckhead craig, if you understand the reasoning behind a bad argument you can dismantle it. Then again some people are just huge assholes with no reasoning who can never be swayed because they want to stamp on the faces of other people even if it does come at expense to themselves.

Pretty much this, it goes back one step to whether the person arguing is doing so in Good Faith. A lot of the time is spent trying to work out whether this is the case. If somebody just wants to argue because they're contrarian or are bored then that helps nobody and it's understandable when the response is a very polite but firm "gently caress off".

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

I still think that if you point how much offshore processing and all the related hullabullo costs you would get a lot more opposition to it.

EDIT: Seriously Ameoba? Seriously?

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

hiddenmovement posted:

I still think that if you point how much offshore processing and all the related hullabullo costs you would get a lot more opposition to it.

EDIT: Seriously Ameoba? Seriously?

??

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

We should also have the humility to admit we don't have all the right answers.

Pol Pot, Eva Peron, Emperor Hirohito, Angela Merkel, Malcolm Turnbull, Barak Obama, Geoff Gallop and your mum have all believed they're doing the right thing.

Negative Entropy fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Mar 9, 2015

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Kommando posted:

We should also have the humility to admit we don't have all the right answers.

Pol Pot, Eva Peron, Emperor Hirohito, Angela Merkel, Malcolm Turnbull, Barak Obama, Geoff Gallop have all believed they're doing the right thing.

What an... interesting list.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Les Affaires posted:

What an... interesting list.

added your mum for contrast

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I'm going to gay marry gary

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Isn't it fun when people who are challenged to Bring It to the rhetorical table just disappear for days on end

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
The only proper Australian way to treat reffos is to reward the degree of hazardousness of their trip (and therefore the degree of commitment they demonstrate to Australia). It's nothing less than the Anzac spirit.

Plane passengers should be dealt with under normal processes.

Those who make it to Christmas Island in a leaky fishing boat should be given citizenship, a democracy sausage, a cuppa and $500.

Those who make it to the mainland should get the same and also membership of the cricket/AFL ground in their capital city.

Anyone who swims across should be made a Member of Parliament for demonstrating extraordinary commitment to the speedos our PM is so fond of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Les Affaires posted:

Isn't it fun when people who are challenged to Bring It to the rhetorical table just disappear for days on end

probably generating some activity on their alt accounts.

• Locked thread