Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Unsane
Jul 16, 2003

BrownieVK posted:

So I need some advice. I smacked a curb two weeks ago in my Fiesta ST on the front passenger side, wheel was turned to where the entire rim face took the impact at about 10-15 mph. Some light curb rash (cheap 15 inch rims and snow tires) no other visible damage. My steering wheel was slightly off so I took it to the dealer to have an alignment done. They swear up and down nothing else was wrong except needing alignment, nothing bent or broken.

Well all the wheel weights are still on, tire pressures at spec but the car has a slight shake above 65 and it feels unsteady or almost "drunk" on turn in. It definitely doesn't feel right. Seeing how cheap the tie rods, sway bar etc are so cheap should I grab them for that side and toss them on when I do the springs I got or take it somewhere else to pinpoint the exact issue?

Not a huge deal just driving my OCD nuts, this coupled with all the warranty fixes I've had done so far I'm tired of being at a shop all the time.

there's a chance you bent the strut/knuckle/control arm. Did you got a printout from the alignment?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass

Unsane posted:

there's a chance you bent the strut/knuckle/control arm. Did you got a printout from the alignment?

No I didn't think to at the time. I'm pretty sure they have a copy of it though in my files. I think the ST specific control arm is only around $80, same with the knuckle.
Right after I got the alignment I bottomed out on a hidden in snow storm drain at the mall and killed my washer tank. Winter sucks.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Got to drive a friend's 2013 FoST. It is a super fun car, I can't even imagine how the FiST must be! All he had was some sort of special filter for more induction noise and the sound symposer unplugged. Seriously would consider picking one up in a couple of years.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
Anyone catch the news on the Focus RS at the Geneva Auto show? It's kind of put a damper on my expectations:

• Around 320HP (down 30 or so from the previous Focus RS)
  • Launch Control/Drift Mode
  • Sub-£30000 Price tag

The price tag is the most worrying part, seeing as thats a little bit over $45,000 USD. I'm curious to know if that's the base price, or the price of a pimped out model with all the options. The WRX STi starts around 10 grand less, but I imagine with options it can get fairly high in price as well.

Supposedly goes on sale in Europe towards the end of the year.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

They said well in excess of 315hp, and tweeted then deleted 345hp. most cars translate strait across, £ = $. the FiST is £17,395, the FoST1 is £22,195, the FoST3 is £25,995. compare that to the US prices of $20,945, $24,370, and $28,625.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Wicaeed posted:

The price tag is the most worrying part, seeing as thats a little bit over $45,000 USD.

Mentioned above, but it doesn't work like this with big manufacturers. It never has. I don't know why people still assume it.

If you're interested in a car from a boutique manufacturer on the other hand...

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Sub-30,000 pound price tag probably means 29,995 without D&D. Based on Powershift's average price ratios, that would put it at $33,800, so call it $34,500 with D&D. That sounds like about the correct price point to compete with the STi and Golf R.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
Word going around the FoST groups is $37,850 base and $47,850 fully loaded

E; The only page I found referencing that is : http://horsepowerkings.com/2016-ford-focus-rs-345-hp-2-3l-ecoboost-and-awd-w-torque-vectoring/

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Mar 10, 2015

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
If it's 37,8 base, I don't think they'll sell too many - that's a significant premium over the WRX STi. Of course, the Focus is likely to be better, but a 10% price premium is significant.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
$37.8k is way too high.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

If it's 37,8 base, I don't think they'll sell too many - that's a significant premium over the WRX STi. Of course, the Focus is likely to be better, but a 10% price premium is significant.

I thought Sexually Transmitted Infections were 40+.

I still giggle whenever I see a STI as it is an eyesore.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Just picked up this little guy from the dealership and I couldn't be happier!

This is my first sporty car so I'm still not used to driving it yet, but holy crap is it fun! I love that aside from the badges and break calipers, it just looks like a regular little golf.

Also the headlamp washers are the most :awesomelon: thing ever.

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found
The R32 is a riot. Enjoy - they're one of the last of their breed. I've just made the bitterweet decision to trade my R36 (not a hatch) for a new Audi RS3 (definitely a hatch). ETA is... eventually. Price is $lots :(

I sold the A45 to my mother - she didn't want to give it back after I let her drive it for six months while I was overseas and to be perfectly honest I find it a little... sterile, I guess. Not boring, very fast, but it had no soul and i have no attachment to it at all.

This guy, however...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fCpMMURclE

:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

I can't really afford it but I figure it's one of the last chances I'll have to buy a small new car with anything other than a 2.0 turbo four... and that sound :allears:

Finch! fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Mar 14, 2015

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

:monocle: that thing sounds lovely! That was one of the things I love about the R32. I did the flapper mod to the exhaust and in low gears it sounds super beefy.

I'd love to throw a slightly louder exhaust on it, but I don't want to blow out windows with my exhaust, and I like how low key the car is aside from the badges. I'm also considering plasti-dipping the rims and grabbing a few cans of united grey to spruce them up a bit, but again living a stones throw from Detroit and modding out a car seems like a recipe for grand theft auto.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
Finally got around to putting the Cobb rear motor mount on my FiST this afternoon after it sat around for a year, it's awesome. Most notable is the rocking back and forth when getting on and off the gas in 1st at low RPMs is gone, the greatly reduced wheel-hop when taking off quickly, and of course the loud thunking noise when shifting hard from 1st to 2nd. It's an excellent bit of engineering and I can't even notice a difference in vibration at idle unless the AC is on but it's completely livable.

So right after I took it out for a test drive after putting in the mount I ordered me up a set of Mountune springs. -1.1" in the front and -.8" in the rear, it looks to make the car have the perfect amount of wheel gap (or lack thereof) from all of the springs I've been looking at. So naturally I'm now looking at getting some new wheels and it appears that the Kosei K8R in the same size and offset as the fancy premium factory set will be available next month. I think they look amazing. I also read a rumor that 949Racing, the manufacturer of the amazing 6UL/6ULR wheels that are so popular with Miata and Civic owners, will be offering them in 4x108 later this year! I may just get some new tires for now (since mine are shot after 12.5k miles) and hold out for the 6ULs. If only the BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp 2s in 205/40/17 weren't back-ordered everywhere...

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Just got a set of Michelin Super Sports on my R, good tires make way more of a difference than I thought holy moly.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

KakerMix posted:

Just got a set of Michelin Super Sports on my R, good tires make way more of a difference than I thought holy moly.

Yeah I put a set of those on my FR-S and it turned it into such a better car. It's too bad they don't make them in a size for the stock FiST wheels. I haven't made up my mind what I'm going to do when the stock summers are ready to be replaced.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

GutBomb posted:

Yeah I put a set of those on my FR-S and it turned it into such a better car. It's too bad they don't make them in a size for the stock FiST wheels.
The Smoking Tire fit 215-45-17 Pilot Super Sports on their project car without issue. https://instagram.com/p/xnJNI8gDEE/

205-45-17 would work too. Both are available PSS sizes.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Attended a cars and coffee event today.
There were like 20 FxSTs there. Including a 2015 FoST. Its not as ugly as people have been saying, but still ugly...

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Finch! posted:

The R32 is a riot. Enjoy - they're one of the last of their breed. I've just made the bitterweet decision to trade my R36 (not a hatch) for a new Audi RS3 (definitely a hatch). ETA is... eventually. Price is $lots :(

I sold the A45 to my mother - she didn't want to give it back after I let her drive it for six months while I was overseas and to be perfectly honest I find it a little... sterile, I guess. Not boring, very fast, but it had no soul and i have no attachment to it at all.

This guy, however...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fCpMMURclE

:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

I can't really afford it but I figure it's one of the last chances I'll have to buy a small new car with anything other than a 2.0 turbo four... and that sound :allears:

Oh my :awesome: is that a stock exhaust? Sweet feathery Jesus

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

Taco Box posted:

Oh my :awesome: is that a stock exhaust? Sweet feathery Jesus

Yeah, I think that's the factory "performance" exhaust. I'll order mine with that (and some better looking wheels!) and then worry about improving the sound later, if at all. I have no idea about colour yet but I'm thinking this funky grey with BBS CH wheels, either black or the less shiny silverish colour:

Finch! fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Mar 16, 2015

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I'd be really interested in the RS3 if it came to the US(it won't) outside of the fact that it would probably be in the $60k+ neighborhood. And gently caress that.

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

fknlo posted:

I'd be really interested in the RS3 if it came to the US(it won't) outside of the fact that it would probably be in the $60k+ neighborhood. And gently caress that.

Australian pricing hasn't been confirmed yet, either. It will probably be closer to $70000 of your dollars here :(

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Finch! posted:

Australian pricing hasn't been confirmed yet, either. It will probably be closer to $70000 of your dollars here :(

Sweet sweet luxury car tax.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

Phone posting this but, holy loving :stare:

https://youtu.be/Bqt132J3dEA

http://kreissieg.ocnk.net/phone/product/343

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Can't wait for the 16 R. Talked to a different dealer on Thursday and he told me "You'll be the first one I call when we get one". I wonder how many other people he has told that too.

I can almost guarantee I get a huge ticket in the first month. I've been driving the TDI Golf like a total dick lately, but it has it's limits, where the R won't.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
Went to the dealership to price out my trucks trade-in value and to price out an R and a GTI because I already know I can't afford the R.

My salesman was out sick :(

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

veedubfreak posted:

Can't wait for the 16 R. Talked to a different dealer on Thursday and he told me "You'll be the first one I call when we get one". I wonder how many other people he has told that too.

I can almost guarantee I get a huge ticket in the first month. I've been driving the TDI Golf like a total dick lately, but it has it's limits, where the R won't.

You really need that backseat/hatch area eh?

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.
The R looks fabulous but I still like the looks and interior of the S3 better. It's a moot point for now gotta wait about another couple of months.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

tijag posted:

You really need that backseat/hatch area eh?

I do. I use my car for work. I tote around computers and monitors and stuff quite a bit.

They had an Autobahn GTI and it was 32k. GTIs are ridiculously expensive these days.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002
Bummer. The GTI/R is a nice car though, just that you can get so much power for less if you don't need that form factor.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

tijag posted:

Bummer. The GTI/R is a nice car though, just that you can get so much power for less if you don't need that form factor.

It's much more than just power though, look at his avatar and name.

Same for me though, I know I could get a Mustang or whatever but I don't want a sedan, I want a hatch or wagon and goddamn if I'm going to buy new cars it's going to be the ones I want.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I already have a 4 door hatch for DD purposes yet would have no problem buying another hot one for my fun car.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

KakerMix posted:

Same for me though, I know I could get a Mustang or whatever but I don't want a sedan, I want a hatch or wagon and goddamn if I'm going to buy new cars it's going to be the ones I want.

Yeah, it's just that Mustang GT with 435 HP is an absurd value.

I drive by myself pretty much 97% of the time, and the other 3% it's with only 1 passenger. I love the utility of a hatch but I don't think I can accept the increase in price and the decrease in power between a Mustang GT and a Golf R. I will probably spring for the GT Premium, at which point it's the same price as a Golf R, and I'm not sure about reliability over the long term, but in my mind the Mustang is going to be more durable. Might be delusional there.

I do absolutely love the way the Golf looks though. Such a classy car, and such a sleeper of a car.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jesus, I swear I could hear everyone in this forum get hard at the end of that video.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

KakerMix posted:

That's how I look at it. I only have room for 1 car. So it needs to do everything and do it all relatively well. Right now there just isn't much out there that has a hatch, awd, and good power.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

veedubfreak posted:

That's how I look at it. I only have room for 1 car. So it needs to do everything and do it all relatively well. Right now there just isn't much out there that has a hatch, awd, and good power.

So true.

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass
FiST is still driving like crap, dealership couldn't figure out how to take out the OEM inner tie rods.... I found the tool in 2 minutes on google. I don't know if I should keep throwing parts at it once those are in, or try to find a place that specializes in suspension. I didn't think 10mph curb damage was this hard to fix.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I hope you don't have a very slightly bent transaxle. That happened to me once, and it only got worse the more I drove.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
A few months ago a guy at work crashed his brand new focus st messing around on an onramp in the snow. After a month it was repaired and he said it never felt the same. Then he traded it for a brand new mazda six, installed an exhaust and intake, then traded that in about a month later for a GLI (with British plates for some reason)

He's kind of a douche.