Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!

MonoAus posted:

I ended up pre-odering too. I didn't pre-order SC13 so I guess I don't have that big a grudge against it.

Keep in mind that around this time before SC13 was released, alarm bells were going off all over about how much of a steaming pile the game was likely to be. I'm not seeing any of those alarm bells and more people have access to play it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Is there a code for GMG? How do I get this discount you speak of?

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
Is there any hard and fast answer on how deep the mod support will be? Will mods be able to modify core game logic - for instance, changing the way traffic routing works - or will it simply be adding new assets?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Solvency posted:

Keep in mind that around this time before SC13 was released, alarm bells were going off all over about how much of a steaming pile the game was likely to be. I'm not seeing any of those alarm bells and more people have access to play it.

I still love how the beta was an hour; exactly enough time to completely fill the tile and finish the city without realizing you did.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

Solvency posted:

There was also a lot of weird defensiveness going on in the SC13 thread before release. There were a bunch of posters that freaked out at the slightest criticism or reasonable skepticism of the game. People defend the game in this thread, but it's been so much more reasonable and calm. Nobody is trying to convince themselves that Cities: Skylines is a good game here.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

Byers2142 posted:

Yet houses were being built?

That's how it worked in SimCity until SimCity 2013. They would eventually be abandoned though since there's no way to get to a job. Easy enough to test though, don't connect the roads.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

A thought just hit me, after watching a bunch of videos this weekend: do traffic problems even matter?

Maybe I missed it, but I don't recall anyone mentioning it lowering land value, or having buildings abandoned due to traffic. What's the downside?

edit: service trucks get stuck, I guess, is all I can remember seeing.

Other than service vehicles, we don't know yet. Cims will teleport to their destination if they get stuck in traffic, freight will be deleted and the business will re-order what it wanted. It should be easy to test what happens. Only build dirt roads, build everything in giant blobs like streamers are doing, and only provide a single dirt road between the blobs just like the streamers are doing. Eventually, you should have industry and commercial becoming abandoned because trucks can't get anywhere. This may be one reason vehicles delete, since it means they don't have to keep track if a business gets a delivery, only if a truck is deleted.

Yaos fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Mar 9, 2015

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Yaos posted:

This appears seconds into his 6th video, which is how long it took him to figure out it was bad.

The rest of his roads are not any better.

He actually has a roundabout bypass road, it lets cars bypass a roundabout to get to the other side. Nobody uses it until traffic is bad enough that cars will consider it a faster alternative that the roundabout.

Oh my God what is that man doing to his highway?

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Red_Fred posted:

Is there a code for GMG? How do I get this discount you speak of?
If you've got a GMG account already, selecting it from http://www.greenmangaming.com/vip/ works.

If not, there's a general voucher code H3U5TZ-9726D1-JIPSHC you can use.

(You can't stack the voucher on the VIP deal, I tried. :v: )

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

uncurable mlady posted:

Is there any hard and fast answer on how deep the mod support will be? Will mods be able to modify core game logic - for instance, changing the way traffic routing works - or will it simply be adding new assets?

From what's been said in A_Specs streams, if you know C#, you can change anything or add anything.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

There was also a lot of weird defensiveness going on in the SC13 thread before release. There were a bunch of posters that freaked out at the slightest criticism or reasonable skepticism of the game. People defend the game in this thread, but it's been so much more reasonable and calm. Nobody is trying to convince themselves that Cities: Skylines is a good game here.

Because people paid $60-80 for it. This is much easier to swallow at $23-$35 and we can see how open the devs are about questions and answers and have footage of the game freely available.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

drunkill posted:

Because people paid $60-80 for it. This is much easier to swallow at $23-$35 and we can see how open the devs are about questions and answers and have footage of the game freely available.

Don't forget everybody was given a timed demo before the game out so it was hard to hit the limitations of the simulation. Everybody that currently has Cities: Skylines can do whatever they want, which includes making mods.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

tehsid posted:

From what's been said in A_Specs streams, if you know C#, you can change anything or add anything.

Fantastic.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
I am kind of confused as to what the people who are on the fence are waiting for. There are already a ton of people playing the game either via streaming or youtube, and days worth of footage have been logged and watched by thousands of viewers. What additional information do you think is going to come out between now and Tuesday?

I mean, I guess you could be waiting to see what a city over 500k performs like, but considering that for nearly a week, people who have been playing this game for hours per day have barely reached 300k, I am not sure if that is even info worth waiting for at this point. I have to applaud Paradox for how they have handled the release of this game, in that the past week has been very open and full of info. I was critical of the lack of gameplay footage the previous week, but they have completely relieved me of my worries there.

They have also patched the game more times during this preview week than SC did in like the first month.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
I didn't just preorder, I went ahead and bought a new computer for this game. I was going to replace an aging desktop fairly soon anyway, but this release and the constant streaming certainly pushed forward my decision.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Streamers and YouTubers have had a week of unfettered access to the game, showing off many many many hours of gameplay so far. It's not like the carefully cultivated, hand-picked pre-release media SimCity had. These are real (loving stupid) people with access to the full release showing it off. So far it looks a little rough around the edges but mostly functional and complete.

The "loving stupid streamers" is probably the most brilliant part of the plan, watching that PryionFlax guy the other night, the amount of frustration from the OCD sperglords in chat was through the roof and you know they pre-ordered it straight away so they could do it properly.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

tehsid posted:

That's certainly not true. The modding API is very minimalistic and limited. There are only a handful of significant things you can do. The rest is fluff or only involving existing systems.

They said the modding API is minimalistic on purpose and that it would grow as peoples' needs did after release, but I don't think they realize people want to be able to extend the game code directly and not rely on a crap API.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

I pre-ordered the game but there are some flaws as I see them:
-Not very challenging overall (may just be an impression I get from the game barely ever punishing the idiotic choices of terrible, terrible streamers)
-Traffic AI is smart in some ways and really not smart in others
-Game seems to plateau after a certain population, seems like you basically win at a point and are just left adding more stuff for the sake of more stuff

And on a personal note I think the art style really suits the plucky small-town aesthetic but I would like them to mix in a little bit of the dirt and cruelty of real-life cities.

Game is cheap as gently caress though so w/e.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Jean Eric Burn posted:

And on a personal note I think the art style really suits the plucky small-town aesthetic but I would like them to mix in a little bit of the dirt and cruelty of real-life cities.

I sort of feel that since this game seems fairly popular, we'll see a ton of models for buildings released in the first month or so. Some simple ones appear to already be created by reddit people.

Am I wrong in thinking this will give ability to heavily affect the game style fairly easily?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Jean Eric Burn posted:

-Not very challenging overall (may just be an impression I get from the game barely ever punishing the idiotic choices of terrible, terrible streamers)
-Game seems to plateau after a certain population, seems like you basically win at a point and are just left adding more stuff for the sake of more stuff

Game is cheap as gently caress though so w/e.

Yeah. The game is a bit overly simplistic in some key areas, but it also costs a little over $20 at GMG so I am not sure I can honestly criticize it for that.

I actually kind of wish and hope that either through official update or mod, supply and demand were expanded, so that industries could more heavily diversify and flourish. One thing I liked about Cities XL is that High Tech, Manufacturing, Heavy Industry, Offices, and Retail were all separate things that were dependent on each other to some degree. You couldn't get away with going to heavy in any one area because there was supply and demand. The only way you could specialize was if you played the trading game.

I also really wish the game had air pollution instead of purple zerg creep spread.

And I agree with your comment about the art style. I wish abandonment was more visually significant, and I wish there was a visual distinction between wealth classes. But for the most part, it is very Sims-esque where it seems hard to have poverty present.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

After his numerous fuckups, Quill made a video on how roads work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1yNaa83I2E

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?

beerinator posted:

I sort of feel that since this game seems fairly popular, we'll see a ton of models for buildings released in the first month or so. Some simple ones appear to already be created by reddit people.

Am I wrong in thinking this will give ability to heavily affect the game style fairly easily?

I wouldn't anticipate this being too much of a problem, really. Simtropolis is going to be all over this game, and its cadre of modders has a large contingent of people obsessed with game balance. Look at SC4 for example, it's insanely easy to break the game portion of that, but if you choose your mods wisely you can still play it like a city simulator rather than the zen-city-garden that a lot of people turn it into. I think it'll really just be a matter of self control, just like you'll have to avoid the built in cheat codes the game has.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Rudager posted:

The "loving stupid streamers" is probably the most brilliant part of the plan, watching that PryionFlax guy the other night, the amount of frustration from the OCD sperglords in chat was through the roof and you know they pre-ordered it straight away so they could do it properly.

I don't think that was intentional. PFlax is a goon who does a ton of dota2 streaming and he's normally pretty competent at the games he plays. He's a funny/enjoyable streaming personality which is why I bet CO gave him a review copy.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Pyrion is a beautiful angel of a man.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Jean Eric Burn posted:

So in other words its like every city builder ever.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

This game is $2 more expensive than Sim City 4 is on steam with the GMG VIP thing. If you can't justify that expense as a matter of finances then I applaud your frugality, but if it's just a matter of being unconvinced then there are much worse gambles you could make.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

The Deadly Hume posted:

OH GOD WHAT IS HE DOING TO THOSE POOR CHILDREN

EDIT: In case you're wondering, he put a school and a merry-go-round in the bottom of the riverbed between the two dams, then removed one of the dams. :stare:

Darkrenown posted:

:siren:POOP LAKE IS LIVE!!:siren:

...okay, I'm buying this game now.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

Inverness posted:

That's certainly not true. The modding API is very minimalistic and limited. There are only a handful of significant things you can do. The rest is fluff or only involving existing systems.

They said the modding API is minimalistic on purpose and that it would grow as peoples' needs did after release, but I don't think they realize people want to be able to extend the game code directly and not rely on a crap API.

My apologies. That was the impression I got from something A_Spec said on last night's stream. I am interested to dig into the modding side myself and take a look at what can be done.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Jaramin posted:

This game is $2 more expensive than Sim City 4 is on steam with the GMG VIP thing. If you can't justify that expense as a matter of finances then I applaud your frugality, but if it's just a matter of being unconvinced then there are much worse gambles you could make.

I bemoan the requirement for frugality, because I want this game more than any game I've wanted in the past two years.

gman14msu
Mar 10, 2009
The modding API and other modding information can be found here: http://www.skylineswiki.com/Modding

Between that and the devs willingness to cater to player feedback going forward, there's a really strong modding foundation. Combine that with the rabid modding community that's already created stuff like the 25 tile mod and the https://terrain.party tool, before release, and things look very promising.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It seems there's wayyyy too many ambulances and they're really loving up traffic. Hopefully once again like other traffic issues mods can balance this stuff.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
The guy who had the the really comprehensive transport system (and patchy framerate) has another video up, this time with a build.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaGuUgT6bi4

(I also note he seems to be doing this in sandbox mode or with an unlimited cash cheat, but still interesting.)

EDIT: Geez he loves lens flares more than JJ Abrams.

The Deadly Hume fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Mar 9, 2015

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The Deadly Hume posted:

The guy who had the the really comprehensive transport system (and patchy framerate) has another video up, this time with a build.

(I also note he seems to be doing this in sandbox mode or with an unlimited cash cheat, but still interesting.)

Does this man not own a microphone? Isn't that like a pre-req for being a youtube superstar?

One cool thing I'm noticing is that you seem to be really punished for those ridiculous diverging-route turnouts. The trains actually slow way the gently caress down to use them, or tight curves. So if you want your trains running fast you need to try to design them a bit more realistically and not expect a 30 degree diverging route off the main.

Also from the dude's video we clearly need multi-track station and terminus stations. Want to build some huge 20 track station.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Mar 9, 2015

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

gman14msu posted:

The modding API and other modding information can be found here: http://www.skylineswiki.com/Modding

Between that and the devs willingness to cater to player feedback going forward, there's a really strong modding foundation. Combine that with the rabid modding community that's already created stuff like the 25 tile mod and the https://terrain.party tool, before release, and things look very promising.
The 25 tile thing happened because the devs were convinced to make that capability available. It only took a handful of lines of code.

I've seen nothing to suggest that mods have any access to the actual meat of the game. Mods are, from what I heard a week ago, run in a separate app domain and only given a handful of rather limited interfaces with which to affect the game.

It's very much a ship-in-a-bottle situation.

This is what CO would need to do to allow an optimal modding situation (short of outright giving us source code):

1. Allow mod libraries to be loaded directly into the game instead of a sandboxed app domain with no access to it beyond interfaces.

2. Ensure its possible to access various objects in the game and modify their behavior using C# events. This is basically hooking in other terms.

3. Allow classes in the game to be subclassed and dynamically specify what classes the game should use in various situations. You see this in engines like Unreal where you can specify in a configuration file what classes are used for various things like the core engine, the players, the game mode, and various other things.

How easy this is depends on how much CO thought ahead when it comes to modding. I'm not enthused by what I'm seeing from them so far.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
The only reason I haven't pre ordered is because my machine is exactly the minimum specs and I want to get an idea as to how it runs in that scenario.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

NZAmoeba posted:

The only reason I haven't pre ordered is because my machine is exactly the minimum specs and I want to get an idea as to how it runs in that scenario.
Same here (still running a GTX 260), but I did pre-order.
I loaded up Cities in Motion 2 and moved around a big city map and it ran really smooth, so here's hoping it's not too much of a jump.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

tehsid posted:

Probably not everything, at least not without poking into the compiled assemblies in non-kosher ways. Unity likes to compile everything into a single assembly, so you'd prolly need to replace a big chunk of game if there's not a defined extension point.

But CO seems pretty willing to add extension points and interfaces so it should be mostly fine. The important things (asset import and whatnot) are very flexible as well, so expect a bunch of new buildings and such.

Inverness posted:

The 25 tile thing happened because the devs were convinced to make that capability available. It only took a handful of lines of code.

I've seen nothing to suggest that mods have any access to the actual meat of the game. Mods are, from what I heard a week ago, run in a separate app domain and only given a handful of rather limited interfaces with which to affect the game.

It's very much a ship-in-a-bottle situation.

This is what CO would need to do to allow an optimal modding situation (short of outright giving us source code):

1. Allow mod libraries to be loaded directly into the game instead of a sandboxed app domain with no access to it beyond interfaces.

2. Ensure its possible to access various objects in the game and modify their behavior using C# events. This is basically hooking in other terms.

3. Allow classes in the game to be subclassed and dynamically specify what classes the game should use in various situations. You see this in engines like Unreal where you can specify in a configuration file what classes are used for various things like the core engine, the players, the game mode, and various other things.

How easy this is depends on how much CO thought ahead when it comes to modding. I'm not enthused by what I'm seeing from them so far.
This sounds fine on paper but then you stop and thing about stuff like base class fragility and optimization and basic security and whatnot and it all comes tumbling down. #1 is a no-go. Nobody in their right mind will allow unchecked access to the game internals. It's just plain bad juju. #2 is fine but it's can incur performance penalties. With the interesting things (mostly agent simulation), the extra costs can add up quick, since they're done often. Events and messaging are surprisingly expensive. #3 is a terrible, terrible idea. Dynamic is a direct tradeoff with performance. Subclassing is a disaster waiting to happen. Only a single mod would be able to change a given subclass, and if given the liberty to do whatever then they can and probably will accidentally gently caress up a core behavior and then everything downstream will gently caress up as well and fire will start raining from the skies and whatnot. Ew.
(Unreal lets you config that because it's an engine, as in, you swap out entire systems. If Unreal lets you change the whole car engine what you suggest is more like swapping engine parts)

Kyte fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Mar 9, 2015

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

The Deadly Hume posted:

SPRINGFIELD STATION!
SPRINGFIELD STATION!
SPRINGFIELD STATION!

Even this whacky poo poo makes me want the game more.

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012

Don't you think it's a bit unreasonable to expect all this? Please correct me if I'm wrong but they've already given more access than SC4 had and plenty was done with that.

As someone already said, Unreal is an engine not a game.

Besides, if someone was going to alter CSL so much that they'd require that level of access why not just create their own city builder game?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm just excited to set up roads and rail lines and poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

MonoAus posted:

Don't you think it's a bit unreasonable to expect all this?

It absolutely is. I don't think there are any non-open source games with that level of access at release, and very few with anything close at any point in their lifespan. Civ 4 eventually got a pretty open mod kit, but even massive mods that completely changed the way the game was played like FFH2 were mostly done in lua and xml.

• Locked thread