Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LemonAIDS
Aug 7, 2009

They are pretty great.

Does anyone know of a list somewhere of all the quests that unlock stuff like more food and trading materials?

E: awesome thanks.

LemonAIDS fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Mar 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

LemonAIDS posted:

Does anyone know of a list somewhere of all the quests that unlock stuff like more food and trading materials?

Dunno about trading quests, but here's the ones for food:
http://www.reddit.com/r/MonsterHunter/comments/2wa344/mh4u_canteen_quests/

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

This is both food and wycoon:
http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/55239/t2099456-guide-wycoon-street-cook/

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Comrade Flynn posted:

I really don't understand this game. It says to go get Kelbi horns. I knocked out all of them in Area 3 and got a grand total of one. Now there are no more Kelbi around and nothing wants to respawn?

in addition to what people said above, it's worth noting you don't have to complete every quest to progress through the story/Hunter ranks. generally, with only a few exceptions, the "hunt a large monster" quests are the only ones that are necessary and there's not much point in doing the "get 4 Kelbi horns" or "gather 6 mushrooms" quests unless you're really really hurting for money, or just want to relax and chill out. It's kind of dumb that the game doesn't really let you know this, but if you google for "MH4U Key Quests" you can easily find a list of the quests that are mandatory to advance through the game.

For what it's worth though, it's totally worth it to knock out the occasional Kelbi, their horns are used to craft some really killer potions that are always nice to have around in a tough fight!

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

LemonAIDS posted:

E: awesome thanks.

Look at the small tabs to the left of the quest text. If there's a fish, it means you'll upgrade the kitchen when you complete it.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Apex hunts are pretty intense

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Just finished the plot (at least insofar as the credits just rolled). Man, that last fight vs Kushala Daora was such an incredible anticlimax. I mean, the associated cutscenes with the Ace Hunters were cool and all, but the actual fight was piss easy. I got a little scared when I started it and found a supply box with 12 First Aid Med+ and 2 EZ Max Potions, but I didn't even have to heal, period. It was basically a glorified tutorial for online Kushala and Gogmazios.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

HR Tigrex flailed his back against a zone transition while I was riding him, causing me to leave the zone.

Tigrex bucked me off a rodeo by zoning me.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

T.G. Xarbala posted:

HR Tigrex flailed his back against a zone transition while I was riding him, causing me to leave the zone.

Tigrex is a dick like that, yeah. Other monsters can do it but Tigrex is the only one who moves that freaking much, at least as far as I've seen. Other monsters generally need to be near the exit, but Tigrex will flail his dumb rear end across the entire area to zone you sometimes.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Tigrex owns. He's so insane that it's great. His encounter cinematic was just as great.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

So I have a set with Honed Blade and Razor Sharp for charge blade use, but now I have no idea which attack skills are the best to work towards from here. It seems like Artillery God, Challenger, and Critical Eye would all be of benefit, but I don't have the faintest idea how much each would help. Anyone have opinions/math on which one is best?

Jueg01
Jan 26, 2015

Comrade Flynn posted:

I really don't understand this game. It says to go get Kelbi horns. I knocked out all of them in Area 3 and got a grand total of one. Now there are no more Kelbi around and nothing wants to respawn?

Have either your Ace or yourself use an impact weapon, and the drop rate increases dramatically. Kelbi will also respawn, they just run in from zone entrances most of the time.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Elysiume posted:

Just wander around, eventually things will respawn. The "kill X [small monster]" quests are awful because spawn rates are way too low so you end up wandering in circles for fifteen minutes waiting for [small monster] to respawn. Plus fighting small monsters is lame.

The mini Kut Ku fight begs to differ. :colbert:

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Rascyc posted:

Tigrex owns. He's so insane that it's great. His encounter cinematic was just as great.

When he frenzies he really, really, acts like he's going insane, it's awesome -- it's nuts how much personality they managed to instill into an enemy through basically a few sentences worth of text, a 10 second cutscene, and a boss fight. There are video games out there with hours of cutscenes and exposition whose antagonists don't have half the depth that a raging Tigrex does.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

TARDISman posted:

The mini Kut Ku fight begs to differ. :colbert:

Mini Kut-Ku is just a very small large monster, not a small monster, so Elysiume's statement is still accurate.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Had a pretty sick run today with another guy on dual Rathian and Rathalos. They always stuck to the same area but we kept staggering them enough that it was basically two 1v1 fights going on the entire fight. Highlight was me staff jumping to catch a fleeing Rathian, downing it, clipping the Rathalos in the same attack and downing it too, mounting the Rathalos, the other guy killing the Rathian while I was rodeoing, then killing the Rathalos less then ten seconds after the Rathian died. Pretty much the pinnacle of coordination.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

So it sounds like the first couple quests besides the key quests are not, you know, intuitive or simple like the first few quests in any other game.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

What's the fastest way to get Lobster Parts? Fishing has been dickpunching me.

Adhesion
Sep 10, 2001

Next you gonna mention lifting up a nacho and seein' a big old terrified eye starin' at you

Triarii posted:

So I have a set with Honed Blade and Razor Sharp for charge blade use, but now I have no idea which attack skills are the best to work towards from here. It seems like Artillery God, Challenger, and Critical Eye would all be of benefit, but I don't have the faintest idea how much each would help. Anyone have opinions/math on which one is best?

As always gaijin hunter is on point: http://gaijinhunter.tumblr.com/post/103946720952/mh4g-charge-blade-and-skills

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Triarii posted:

http://gaijinhunter.tumblr.com/post/103946720952/mh4g-charge-blade-and-skills

^ welp

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

He doesn't mention Crit Eye at all so I guess that's off the list, but it seems like Artillery God vs Challenger would depend on how often you're using phial bursts vs how aggressive you can be when a monster is enraged. Hypothetically, if you got super defensive against things in rage mode and didn't get many hits in because the big scary monster is yelling a lot, then Challenger wouldn't be of much good to you. I guess I can just try each and see if I can feel a difference.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

I don't agree with his assessment of some of the skills. Not having Guard+2 means you'll still get blown back when GPing certain attacks, and Artillery Master seems to show up on a bunch of Japanese CB superplays. GaijinHunter seems to poo-poo on Impact CBs too when I've found them to be much more useful than elemental ones IMO

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Khezu is the worst.

I don't mean worst as in hard. I mean it is a bad and boring monster and fight. Once you get past the creepy design, you are left with a big, lumbering floppy penis bird wyvern that likes to hang out on the ceiling out of melee range and takes way too many hits to kill. Also not a fan of the lack of music.

Can't speak on the red version or any others, but that cowardly cat mission with the two frenzied Khezu was just as dull as anything else.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I'm dismissing palicos to make room for some HR ones and holy poo poo does the game make you feel bad for it.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Argas posted:

I'm dismissing palicos to make room for some HR ones and holy poo poo does the game make you feel bad for it.

Do it from the start menu outside of your house.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Unlucky7 posted:

Khezu is the worst.

I don't mean worst as in hard. I mean it is a bad and boring monster and fight. Once you get past the creepy design, you are left with a big, lumbering floppy penis bird wyvern that likes to hang out on the ceiling out of melee range and takes way too many hits to kill. Also not a fan of the lack of music.

Can't speak on the red version or any others, but that cowardly cat mission with the two frenzied Khezu was just as dull as anything else.

As nice as it is to experience some MHFU monsters for the first time, I kind of wish they had brought over Gigginox and it's Baleful cousin. It's a right annoying bastard but at least it provides a challenge.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Comrade Flynn posted:

So it sounds like the first couple quests besides the key quests are not, you know, intuitive or simple like the first few quests in any other game.

I think it's a great game but I will concede that easily, yeah. I think it's better than past installments about that, but that's not really saying a lot -- they could still do some work smoothing out the early game and giving new players a better idea about the good poo poo that comes later

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

goferchan posted:

I think it's a great game but I will concede that easily, yeah. I think it's better than past installments about that, but that's not really saying a lot -- they could still do some work smoothing out the early game and giving new players a better idea about the good poo poo that comes later

Yeah. Them kicking things off more earlier worked a bit better this time, since Dah'ren's a big impressive fight that they can't really screw up by failing to dodge or hit it so it's a bit more immediately engaging than "okay hunter, go do errands for me" from the start, but it's still not great at the beginning.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Maybe it's because I spent a few days getting my poo poo pushed in by Silver Rathalos, but Akantor seems like a pretty easy (albeit long) fight. It's just too bad the 3 groups I tried him with tonight couldn't manage to not die 3 times.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

The Pony Incident posted:

Holy poo poo, I thought I was decent at this game but Gore Magala is just... wrecking me :stonk: I feel like the fight shouldn't actually be that hard since most of it's moves are fairly slow and telegraphed, but inevitably I keep making a few mistakes in a row and now I've failed it like 4 times, so I decided I'm just going to farm armor sphere+'s until my gear's all upgraded then give it another shot.

Also, along with the touch panel customization questions, is there any way to make a quicker shortcut for combining items? I hate having to scroll through like 10 pages of items to get to Normal S2 shots if I want to make more ammo

I got wrecked for my first 2 lives and was about to give up hope but I just spammed mounting attacks with greatsword. The first area blows to fight him since you have no room but you can climb those walls and just keep jumping down and he doesn't know what to do. Its really his enrage that is brutal.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Save your mounts/traps for his enrage and you can bust him out of it by breaking his face in.

Also stay under his dragon ballsack the whole time, all his stuff is dangerous out in front of him, not under him.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

T.G. Xarbala posted:

That happened to me during my first Nerscylla fight. Don't fight near zone exits kids.

I wish that it didn't take so long to get new glaives. I have a ton of options for every other weapon but still only two glaives. Granted, I'm not that far into the game but still, it's annoying.

sitchelin posted:

What's the fastest way to get Lobster Parts? Fishing has been dickpunching me.

I would like to know this as well

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Mar 9, 2015

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

What's some good gunner set and HBG that can be crafted at around Caravan 6*? I'd like to give bowgunning an actually fair try this time around.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Toiwat posted:

What's some good gunner set and HBG that can be crafted at around Caravan 6*? I'd like to give bowgunning an actually fair try this time around.

I have been trying out gunning and I'm having a surprising amount of fun with it. If you're intending on using elemental ammo regularly, kirin is a good set.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Toiwat posted:

I've been using Uragaan, but you have to trade Gravios parts to get it. I'm working on Genesis next because it has Loading, Partbreaker, and Divine Protection. It also has a shitload of slots. The Dahren Mohran HBG is ridiculously good and is pretty easy to craft.

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Mar 9, 2015

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Improbable Lobster posted:

I wish that it didn't take so long to get new glaives. I have a ton of options for every other weapon but still only two glaives. Granted, I'm not that far into the game but still, it's annoying.

I think this is probably inevitable for most weapons at certain points in the game. As soon as I switched to Switch Axe, I just stopped getting new craftable ones. It's worth checking out kiranico's weapon database though, to see if maybe there's some earlier glaive you can make and upgrade once or twice (or more) to make into something awesome. That's what I ended up doing, and wouldn't have known what to make/upgrade otherwise.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

sitchelin posted:

As nice as it is to experience some MHFU monsters for the first time, I kind of wish they had brought over Gigginox and it's Baleful cousin. It's a right annoying bastard but at least it provides a challenge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9p8TGswYLYw

Gigginox was a really good monster, and would have fit in perfectly with the new vertical emphasis found in MH4U, so it bothers me a lot as well. Khezu was always kind of a basic monster, and even with the revamp to its animation set, it's still really showing its age.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Man, the community in this game pisses me off so much. Sure there are the countless things that newbies, randoms, and generally selfish players do like posting urgents or quests they need help on in other people's rooms, but the end game crew makes even more infuriating mistakes.

- Posting/requesting/joining Apex level monsters with one or even zero wystones
- Taking exmax potions from the box at the start of a hunt instead of leaving them for dead. Granted, you should have max potions with you at all times
- STILL not carrying traps
- Not having any idea what the hell they are hunting. I kept posting G-rank gold rajang earlier, which is a rare quest that almost no one has, and people just kept trying to post their apex and normal G rajangs
- Not eating Moxie or Felyne def hi
- Lying about GC levels when making lobbies because they don't know the 'expert' hunter type blocks out players below bronze crown

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Think people forget that Gigginox also spent a bunch of time hanging on the walls and ceiling, he's different but he's seriously not much better. 'rear end in a top hat who hangs out of range of 80% of your arsenal' just isn't a good monster design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Pierson posted:

Think people forget that Gigginox also spent a bunch of time hanging on the walls and ceiling, he's different but he's seriously not much better. 'rear end in a top hat who hangs out of range of 80% of your arsenal' just isn't a good monster design.

Look at this joker who doesn't know what a bounce bomb is and was too afraid to swing into Gigginox when it spat poison :v:

• Locked thread